|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
SPENCER M. ALLEN, farmer, Section 28. P. O. Highland, was born in Franklin County, Mass., August 3, 1844. When quite young he was brought by his parents to Kansas, where he was raised and educated. Farming has always been his occupation. He was married in Highland, Kansas, March 9, 1870, to Miss Sophia Parker. She was born in Ingham County, Mich., July 16, 1850. By this marriage they have two children, George and Amy. Mr. Allen is a Republican.
L. B. ARBOGAST, farmer, Section 20, P. O. Highland, was born in Logan County, Ohio, August 2, 1852. When quite young he was taken by his parents to Buchanan County, Mo., where he was partially reared and educated. In 1864 he came to Kansas and settled in this county, where he completed his studies. His farm consists of eighty acres of land that will compare favorably with any of that of Doniphan County. Mr. Arbogast is a Republican.
JOHN X. BROWN, farmer, P. O. Highland, came to Kansas in July, 1875, locating in Jefferson County, where be lived seven years, engaged in farming. From there he returned to his former home in Pennsylvania, where he remained two years, and then removed to Franklin County, Mo., fifty miles from St. Louis, where he lived six months, and was engaged in farming. From Missouri he again returned to Pennsylvania where be remained until the spring of 1881, when he returned to Kansas, locating in the city of Atchison, where he lived two months and was engaged as a clerk in the large hardware establishment of A. MacDonald. From Atchison he removed to Highland, Doniphan County, near which place be resides at present. Mr. Brown was born in Union County, Pa., January 20, 1852, and lived in his native place until he came to Kansas. His father is a farmer, and resides near Lewisburg, Pa. He is a descendent of Dr. Alexander Brown, a former professor in Yale College and a nephew of the celebrated Presbyterian divine, Rev. Matthew Brown, of the city of Philadelphia.
ELI EVANS, merchant, son of Eli and Nancy Evans was born in Hartford County, Conn., February 5, 1816. where he was educated and raised to manhood. He learned the trade of tinner at Tuckahoe, Cape May Co., N. J., where he worked for some time. In 1839 he moved to Philadelphia, where he pursued his occupation for some time. In 1840 he moved to Louisville, Ky., and was engaged in hardware business fifteen years. In 1857 he came to Kansas and settled at Iowa Point, where he lived for some time and thence to Highland, and is engaged in the hardware and furniture business. He has been twice married; first to Miss Emma Southworth, of Louisville, Ky., in 1847, and who died in this county in 1870. He took for his second wife Miss Mary F. Young, a native of Holt County, Mo., born November 12, 1846. Three children have been born by this union: Flora M., Edwin E., and Ora A., deceased.
E. M. HUBBARD, dealer in general merchandise, born in Green County, Ky., May 15, 1828. He is a son of Garland and Mary (Buchanan) Hubbard, was raised on a farm, and educated in the common schools of his native place, completing his education at Oak Grove, near Bowling Green, Ky. He began the pursuit of teaching school and followed the same until 1852, when he engaged in merchandising at Campbellsville, Ky. In 1856 removed to Kansas, where for some time he was employed by Government as teacher in the Indian Mission Schools. Elected to Kansas Legislature in 1857; settled in Highland in 1858 and engaged in hotel keeping for some time, and appointed postmaster for latter place in 1858; was County Commissioner in 1858; was one of the framers of the State Constitution, Wyandotte, in 1859; went to Pike's Peak, Col., in 1860 and engaged in mining until 1862, when he returned to Highland and continued merchandising until 1872, then became travelling (sic) salesman for about seven years. He then returned to Highland and began merchandising under firm name Campbell & Hubbard. Married in Warren County, Ky., January 20, 1852, to Miss Ann E. Shields, a native of latter county, born September 29, 1829. They have eight children, Mary B., Sallie J.. Margaret E., Samuel I., Eliza F., William B., John H. and Maria W., deceased.
J. W. IDE, farmer, Section 29, P. O. Highland, is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born January 25, 1833. He is the son of John Ide, who was born in Massachusetts, and Sallie (Foster) Ide who was born in Vermont. He was reared and educated in his native State. In 1857 came to Kansas and settled in this county and is engaged in agricultural pursuits. His farm consists of 320 acres, and is conveniently located to Highland.
J. A. KENNEDY, Postmaster, Highland, was born in Tippecanoe County, Ind., December 16, 1831. His parents were John and Marina (Wiley) Kennedy, the former a native of Ohio, the latter a native of Virginia. He received the foundation of his education in his native State, and completed his studies at St. Joseph, Mo., in 1852, and in 1853 moved to this county, and was engaged in agricultural pursuits for twenty years. He then moved to Highland and engaged in merchandising until 1880, when he was appointed postmaster at this city. In 1882 Mr. Kennedy purchased the celebrated fruit farm known as the Snider Property. It is conveniently located to Highland. He was married in St. Joseph, Mo., March 15, 1854, to Miss Susan L. Robbins, a native of Illinois, and was born July 16,1837. He has a family of eight children, Marina, John W., Sophia, Skeler C., Fannie and Jennie; lost two, Henry and Charles. Mr. Kennedy has been a life long Republican.
D. McINTOSH, broker and insurance agent. This widely well-known and popular gentleman, is a native of Scotland, and was born in the city of Glasgow, April 15, 1833; was reared and educated in his native city; was deprived of parents by death when in his infancy, consequently had many obstacles to contend with during his earlier days. In 1858 came to America, living temporarily in Illinois. In 1859 came to Doniphan County, locating in Highland where he engaged in agricultural pursuits. In 1861 enlisted in Company A, Seventh Kansas: was on duty in Missouri that winter; the spring of 1862 went to Corinth, Miss., participated in several hard engagements; re-enlisted after serving two years. At the battle of Horricon Creek, the fall of 1864, was severely wounded; was in the hospital until February, 1865, when he was honorably discharged. In 1865 he assessed Wolf River Township, and took the census the same year; was elected Register of Deeds by the Republican party, and re-elected three consecutive terms, serving eight years. Since going out of office has been engaged in the insurance and loan agency. In 1867 Miss Mary A. Shields, a native of Kentucky, became his wife. By this union they have six children living, Mamie, Hattie, Willie, Jessie, Donald and Andrew, lost one, Malcom. Mr. McIntosh is a Master Mason. Himself and family are members of the Presbyterian Church. The summer of 1882 removed from Troy to Highland where he now resides.
JOHN P. JOHNSON, the pioneer settler and banker of Highland, Doniphan County, Kan., came to the Territory soon after the passage of the Kansas and Nebraska Bill, May, 1854, and has been prominently connected with the political and financial interests of his county and State since its formation. As early as the fall of 1854, by appointment from the Government, he established the boundary line between the two new territories of Kansas and Nebraska, the line being the fortieth parallel, run west from the Missouri River to the sixth principal meridian, which line also formed the base line of the surveys for both States. Mr. Johnson believes this to be the first line run west of the Missouri River connected with the United States surveys, and preparatory to the surveys of 1855-56. Through the knowledge gained in his surveying expeditions, he was enabled to make selections of some of the best lands of Northeastern Kansas, which he secured at the land sales when they came into market in 1857, purchasing both for himself and for Eastern parties. His possessions in land in Kansas, Nebraska and Missouri at present are said to amount to 60,000 acres - some 10,000 acres being in well stocked farms, from which large quantities of stock are shipped to Eastern markets. Mr. Johnson selected the town site of Highland, where the prosperous Highland University was afterward located in 1856, and was a member of the Town Company. He made the place his residence in 1859, and it has been his home ever since, he having been a banker there for the past twenty years. During that time he has been prominently connected with the Republican party, has represented the county several terms in the State Legislature, and held various offices of trust. He is a native of Illinois, born December 6, 1817, when Illinois was a Territory. His parents moved from North Carolina to Tennessee in 1799, and thence to Illinois in 1816, settling in what is now known as Pocahontas, Bond County. John P. remained at home until he was seventeen years of age, attending the country schools in the vicinity, when he went to McKendrie College, Lebanon, Ill., and after completing the course of study there went to an Eastern institution, and graduated from Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass., August 26, 1846. He was married March 23, 1847, to Sarah A. Norton, of London, Ohio, who died April 2, 1854, leaving two children, Rollin and Alonzo, who have also since died. July 14, 1856, he married Sarah C. Canaday, daughter of Benjamin Canaday, of Georgetown, Ill. Their only child, Annie, was born May 27, 1863, and died May 25, 1865. Mr. Johnson is identified with the history of the State as one of the earliest settlers, and as a successful and reliable business man and financier, and is possessed of property valued at over a million dollars.
JOSEPH MILLER, carpenter and farmer, came to Kansas in October, 1879, and located in Highland where he has ever since lived. He was a member of the City Council of Highland two terms, is a member of the Highland Lodge No. 11, A. F. & A. M. Mr. Miller was the caterer of Major Gen. Osterhaus' mess during the war; he followed the occupation for two years. He was born in Manchester, Clay County, Ky., August 26, 1847, and lived in his native place until his eleventh year when his master moved to Buchanan County, Mo., where he lived until the spring of 1860 when he was sold South; he was taken to Jackson, Miss.; in 1862 he was sent to Huntsville, Ala., where he remained about eight months, from there returned to Rankin County, Miss., where he remained two months, when he made a break for liberty and escaped to the Union Army. After the close of the war he returned to Jackson, Miss., where he lived until 1866, and then removed to St. Joseph, where he lived two years; from St. Joseph he came to Kansas. He was married in Jackson, Miss., in September, 1866, to Miss Martha Craig, a native of Kentucky. Mr. Miller owns a new, comfortable and roomy house in the city of Highland, Doniphan County. He has about thirty acres of farm land rented which he cultivates. His principal crop this year is corn. He is well spoken of by his neighbors, and is esteemed by both white and black.
HON. HUGH DE FRANCE McCARTY, A. M., LL. D., was born in Washington County, Pa., March 9, 1822. He was the son of John McCarty, Jr., a prominent farmer of the time, who did much for the advancement of agricultural pursuits and the dignifying of labor; he was in easy circumstances, yet, through his kindness of heart and the love he bore his fellow-men in distress, he lost all his property by becoming surety for others. His mother, Sarah De France, was the daughter of John De France, a Frenchman, who immigrated to this country at an early day, and distinguished himself as a soldier in the Revolutionary War. His early life was spent on a farm, where, no doubt, was developed that sturdy frame with which the subject of this sketch is blessed, and where his mind received its first culture in the educational advantages of the time and place. Soon after arriving at the age of majority, he commenced a course of regular study at West Alexander Academy, Pa., which was at that time under the care and management of Rev. John McClusky D. D. He taught school frequently, as he worked his own way through his academic and collegiate courses, and graduated at Franklin College in 1849. Mr. McCarty had for a long time been an earnest advocate for the system of mixed schools, in which the sexes should be educated together in the same school-room, in the same classes and pursuing the same studies. There were more in opposition to this then than now. He reduced his theory to practice in the seminary at Morristown, Ohio, which institution he had charge of for three years, and where his success soon silenced all opposition. In 1852 he resigned his principalship of the seminary at Morristown, and traveled at his own expense, visiting schools, lecturing at institutes, addressing the people and laboring in the cause of education generally. He called and helped to organize and conducted the first teachers' institute ever held in Eastern Ohio. After stopping as principal of the High School, at Flushing, for eighteen months, he accepted the Presidency of the Normal Academy at West Bedford, with thirty-four students, and when he severed his connection with this institution three years afterward, the number of students in attendance was 248, a large number of whom were pursuing a regular academic course, while many others were qualifying themselves for teaching. In the spring of 1857, affected by our national spirit of change, he resigned his position as President of the Normal Academy, very much against the wishes of the board of directors, patrons of the school and his friends in general, and left the old beaten paths of life in the East and turned to the fresher fields of the West, the land where beam the stars of Empire and of Hope. After spending the summer in surveying a portion of the Public Lands of the General Government, he returned to the city of Leavenworth, Kan., and again commenced teaching, contending resolutely with the difficulties incident to a new country, surmounting obstacles and overcoming opposition, which would have disheartened many less resolute minds, and demonstrating here as elsewhere that the energetic man is the successful one. In this new field of labor, in ground hitherto unbroken, he did noble and effective service. When the people of Kansas, and especially of the city of Leavenworth, remember those whose services have been productive of the most lasting good, H. D. McCarty will not be forgotten. The noisy politician and selfish aspirant to public place excite more attention than the silent, patient, earnest teacher, but they certainly do not accomplish so much real good. When they have passed away and their works have passed with them, the seeds sown by the faithful teacher will blossom into a rich fruitage of use and beauty. At the outbreak of the Rebellion, when our country called for defenders, he was among the first to the rescue. After raising a company of soldiers for the First Regiment of Kansas Volunteer Infantry, and volunteering his own services as a private soldier and rising rapidly to command, he gave no half-way spirit or service to his country. He remained in the army with his command and participated in many engagements; he was wounded a number of times, and very severely at the Wilson's Creek, near the place and a few moments before Gen. Lyon was killed. Resigning his commission on account of sickness and wounds received from rebel bullets, he was welcomed again in the teachers' ranks and chosen as principal and superintendent of the city schools of Leavenworth. The following unsolicited testimonials will show the high regard and esteem in which the subject of our sketch was held by officers and men while he remained in the army. In departing for his home, with an affectionate farewell from every officer and soldier, he was presented with the following papers expressive of their high esteem for him as an officer and a gentleman, and their regret at his leaving the Regiment:
"Head-Quarters First Regiment Kansas Volunteers
When he returned from the army he espoused the cause of education, not only of the city of Leavenworth, but of the State of Kansas. He was the first to grade the Leavenworth City schools, and their present high state of perfection is mainly due to the broad and deep foundation which he laid, and the thoroughness with which he performed his work. In March, 1863, he called the teachers of Leavenworth City and county together, and after organizing, conducted the first Teachers' Institute held in Kansas. Finding in this new State much of John the Baptist's wok to do, in "preparing the way and making paths straight," for a higher order of schools, he opened correspondence with the leading educators of the State, and issued a call for a convention, to organize a State Teachers' Association. With characteristic perseverance, he impressed others with his enthusiasm, and the association was successfully organized, September 29, 1863. Mr. McCarty was elected Chairman of the Executive Committee, and during the year succeeded in placing the association upon a firm and substantial basis. At the same meeting of the Kansas State Teachers' Association, the aid of the Press to advocate the interests of education in this young and growing State, was deeply felt and thoroughly discussed. It was resolved at once to establish an educational journal, and Mr. McCarty was chosen editor. This position he filled with marked ability and success. In 1864, he was elected President of the State Teachers' Association, and had the pleasure of seeing it enter upon a career of prosperity and usefulness scarcely second to that of any other State. The public eye has seen him as a faithful, ardent advocate of the great cause of education; but only to the few who know him best, and who could look behind the "scenes," are known his personal work, his devoted labor. We know that his work, time and money, were in private given to the cause which he publicly espoused. What would be fulsome flattery in many other cases, is but simple truth in this. We testify whereof we know. During the Price Raid, when the State Militia were ordered into the field to defend our borders, he was elected and commissioned Lieutenant Colonel of one of the regiments. While these raw and undisciplined troops were in a state of mutiny and insubordination at Wyandotte, refusing to cross the State line into Missouri, Col. McCarty cut off his shoulder straps, shouldered a musket, and at the head of a squad of ten brave men, marched to the front to aid in checking the onward march of the rebel hordes, and turning them from treading, with unhallowed and polluted feet, upon the sacred soil of Kansas. In 1868 he was elected Superintendent of the schools of Leavenworth County, which position he held for two years, during which time he prepared and introduced a graded course of study and classification for the schools of the county. This being the first effort of the kind attempted, met with a remarkable degree of success. Being a member of the I. O. O. F., he was, in 1869, elected M. W. Grand Master of the R. W. Grand Lodge of the State of Kansas. Such was the degree of prosperity and success attending his administration, that the Grand Lodge resented him with a P. Grand Master's jewel, made from solid silver and gold, in token of his distinguished services. This is the only memento of the kind ever presented by this Grand Body to any past officer. In 1870, he was recommended by a unanimous vote of the Kansas State Teachers' Association, to the political conventions, as their only choice for a State Superintendent of Public Instruction. At the Republican State Convention Mr. McCarty was nominated to said office by acclamation, and at the ensuing election he was elected by the largest majority of any candidate on the ticket. In 1872, he was again endorsed by the State Teachers' Association, nominated by the Republican State Convention, and elected by the people with a larger vote than any other candidate. During the four years he was connected with this office, he acquired a national reputation, through his writings and active efforts in behalf of education. His State reports have been quoted more extensively by the superintendents of other States and provinces, than, perhaps, almost any other. He was not a candidate for re- election. The honorary degree of LL. D. was conferred upon him by the regents of Franklin College, Ohio, June 26, 1873. Under his supervision the schools of Kansas made remarkable progress. He retired to a private life on a farm. But in this quiet retreat he was not allowed to remain. In June, 1875, he was elected to the Presidency of the Kansas State Normal School, at Concordia. Here the school seemed to prosper in a most wonderful manner, until the State Legislature failed to make the necessary appropriations to meet the running expenses of any of her educational institutions. In 1879, Dr. McCarty accepted the Chair of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, in Highland University. In 1881, he was elected Professor of Chemistry and Toxicology in the Hospital Medical College of St. Joseph, Mo. Since, the College of Physicians and Surgeons and the Hospital Medical College have been consolidated into one school, under the name of the St. Joseph Medical College. Here, in addition to his duties at Highland University, he continued to deliver two lectures per week during the five months winter term of each year. In 1882, he was promoted to the Acting Presidency of Highland University. He is here still engaged (l883), having the general oversight of the institution, as well as his own particular departments of labor. Under his care the University is steadily increasing in reputation and numbers, and the field before him is one in which his singleness of purpose, unflagging energy and enthusiasm, can work the richest results to the whole cause of education. Mr. McCarty is a man of great natural ability and abundant mental resources. His education is theoretically and practically of a high order, which combined with his fund of common sense and adaptability, renders him fitted in an eminent degree for the position he occupies. He is a hard worker, fearless in the denunciation of wrong, and the champion of that which appears to him proper and right. He has the gift of imparting knowledge to others in a clear, concise and simple manner, and can as readily make a child understand the alphabet, as a student the abstruse sciences, or the dead languages. He has succeeded in a remarkable degree in elevating the system of teaching in Kansas to rival that of any State or country. He is an Associate Editor of "The Educationist," organ of the Department of Public Instruction, and of the State Teachers' Association, published at Topeka, Kansas, as well as of "The Missouri Valley Medical Journal," published at St. Joseph, Mo.
JOHN O. THOMAS, farmer, Section 28, P. O. Highland, was born in Union County, Pa., May 30, 1842. He was raised on a farm and educated in his native county. He moved to Sandusky County, Ohio, in 1861, and farmed until 1869, when he emigrated to Kansas and settled in Doniphan County, where he has since been engaged in farming. He has been twice married, first to Miss Roltha Jones, April 13, 1865, in Sandusky County, Ohio. They had three children: Frank, Archa and Bertha. He was again married May 18, 1882, in Highland, Kas., to Miss Catharine Mull, of Union County, Pa., born January 29, 1840. He is a Republican in politics and a good representative of the Western farmer.
B. B. VAN COURT, farmer Section 15, P. O. Highland, was born in Romulus, Seneca Co., N. Y., October 10, 1816. He was reared and educated in his native county. In 1837 he moved to Washtenaw County, Mich., where he farmed for seven years. He moved to Williams County, Ohio, in 1844, and engaged in farming and milling for twenty- one years. From Williams County he came to Kansas and and settled in this county in 1865, and is farming near Highland. He has served as Justice of the Peace in Williams County for eight years. He was married in Washtenaw County, Mich.; November 3, 1841 to Miss Mary A. Parker, a native of Massachusetts, born September 30, 1814, in Adams, Berkshire County. Mr. Van Court is one of the ruling members of the Congregational Church of Highland.
THOMAS J. VANDERSLICE, farmer, P. O. Highland, came to Kansas in August, 1853, and located at the Iowa, Sac and Fox Agency, then called the Nemaha Agency. It was located in Doniphan County, after he came to Kansas. He was engaged in merchandising in Iowa Point in 1858. He is a member of the Christian Church and a member of Smithton Lodge No. 1, A. F. & A. M., at Highland, of which lodge he served as Master nine years. He is also a charter member of Royal Arch Chapter of Masons and of Troy Chapter No. 16, and a charter member of the Commandery of Knights Templar, Hiawatha Commandery, at Hiawatha. He was elected a member of the Territorial Legislature and served in that body in 1860, and was again elected to the State Legislature and served in 1868. In the spring of 1873 he was elected Magistrate in Iowa Township, and in the fall was elected Sheriff of the county. He served two years, and was re-elected, serving two terms, and in January, 1878, returned to his farm near Highland. He was born in Scott County, Ky., at the Great Crossings, two miles from Georgetown, the county seat, on the 10th day of November, 1827, and resided in his native State, with the exception of three years absent in Louisiana, until he moved to Kansas. He was married in Franklin County, Ky., June 5, 1851, to Miss Sarah Burchfield, and they lived happily together over twenty-nine years, when she died November 12, 1878. She bore him fifteen children, of whom five are living. Howard, one of his sons, is married and is a grain merchant at White Cloud; Samuel is a clerk in Belleville, this state; John W. is married and living in Hamilton County, Ohio; Maggie, the only daughter, is living with her father; R. M. is the youngest child living. All these children were born in Kansas, excepting Howard, who was born in Kentucky. (sic) in the same home that his father was, being only four months old when he came to Kansas. Howard was appointed station agent on the A. & N. R. R., in 1873, and served that company faithfully for nine years, and then left them to go into the grain and wood business at White Cloud. His son Daniel was the first male child born in this township, as now organized, and the first male child born in the county. He lived to the age of nineteen years, and died in Troy of typhoid malaria, much loved by all of his associates and by every one that knew him. His mother grieved over his loss until her death, never mentioning his name without shedding tears. The rest died young.
G. H. WINTERS, jeweler, was born in Baltimore, Md., August 4, 1853. He is the son of Christian Winters. He was reared and educated in Baltimore, Md. In 1871 he enlisted in Company B, Fourth Infantry, United States Army, and served five years. He was stationed principally in the West, and was honorably discharged in 1876. He came to Kansas during the same year and settled in Highland and is favorably known as a first- class jeweler, and carries one of the largest stocks in the county. He was married in this county May 21, 1882, to Miss Eliza Lewis, a daughter of Adam Lewis. She was born in this county in 1862.