|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
1854 MAP OF KANSAS.
THE SHAWANOES OR SHAWNEES.
The Missouri Shawanoes were the first Indians removed to the territory set apart for emigrant tribes by the treaties of June, 1825, with the Kanzas and Osages. By treaty made at St. Louis, November 7, 1825, the United States granted "to the Shawanoe tribe of Indians within the State of Missouri, for themselves, and for those of the same nation now residing in Ohio who may hereafter emigrate to the west of the Mississippi, a tract of land equal to fifty miles square, situated west of the State of Missouri, and within the purchase lately made from the Osages."
The tract of fifty miles square thus granted, as afterward surveyed and conveyed to the tribe by deed May 11, 1844, was bounded as follows: "Beginning at a point in the western boundary of the State of Missouri, three miles south of where said boundary crosses the mouth of Kansas River, thence continuing south and coinciding with said boundary for twenty-five miles; thence due west 120 miles; thence due north until said line shall intersect the southern boundary of the Kanzas Reservation; thence due east, coinciding with the southern boundary of said reservation, to the termination thereof; thence due north, coinciding with the eastern boundary of said reservation, to the southern shore of the Kansas River; thence along said southern shore of said river to where a line from the place of beginning, drawn due west, shall intersect the same."
The Shawanoes had their ancient home in the basin of the Cumberland River. Their territory was invaded by the Iroquois about the year 1672, and the vanquished Shawanoes, fleeing to the South, were scattered over various parts of the country--settling in the Carolinas, at the head-waters of the Mobile River, in Florida, and it is related that one tribe had "quite gone down to New Spain." After a short time, several of the tribes re-united and returned to the vicinity of their old hunting-grounds, forming settlements in the valley of the Ohio, where Father Marquette relates that they were "in such numbers that they seem as many as twenty-three villages in one district, and fifteen in another, lying quite near each other."
Several treaties of peace had been made previous to 1786, with the Shawanoes, in common with other tribes, but that of January 31, 1786, was the first concluded with them separately as a nation. By the provisions of this treaty, which was made at the mouth of the Great Miami River, on the northwest bank of the Ohio, the United States allotted to the Shawanoes certain lands on the Miami River, contiguous to the reservations of the Wyandots and Delawares, in consideration of which the Shawanoes, relinquished "all title, or pretense of title, they ever had to the lands east, west and south of the east, west and south lines before described."
The Wyandots protested against this treaty, on the ground that the lands set apart for the Shawanoes had been previously, by treaty, ceded to themselves. The Shawanoes remained, however, on the land, sharing the Wyandot hunting and fishing grounds, and it was in consideration of their forbearance at this time that the latter tribe requested the Shawanoes to cede to them a portion of their reservation in the Indian Territory, when they attempted to negotiate for removal from Sandusky in 1832.
From the time of the treaty of peace which the Shawanoes made with William Penn in 1682 (the first treaty with the whites to which they were a party), the Society of Friends took an intelligent and constant interest in their welfare. Thomas Chalkley, a minister of the London society of the denomination, who visited them as early as 1706, mentions among the peculiarities of the nation its custom of admitting women to its councils. He says: "In the council was a woman who took a part in the deliberations of this council, as well as upon all important occasions.
"On the interpreter being questioned why they permitted a woman to take so responsible a part in their councils, he replied that some women were wiser than some men, and that they had not done anything for years without the council of this ancient, grave woman, who spoke much in this council."
Philanthropic and religious enterprises were necessarily suspended during the long-continued French, English and Indian wars, but after the close of the war of 1812, the Friends again resumed their labors among the Shawanoes, establishing a school, and building flour and saw mills at their village in Ohio. Under the prudent and energetic superintendence of Henry Harvey, the tribe made rapid advance in civilization, and in the year 1831, when their lands were bought by Government, preparatory to the removal of the tribe to the West, the Ohio Shawanoes were prosperous in an eminent degree.
January 4, 1793, Baron De Carondelet, a Spanish nobleman, granted to bands of Shawanoes and Delawares who desired to settle there, a tract of land about twenty miles square, "lying between the River St. Come and Cape Geredeau, and bounded on the east by the Mississippi, and westwardly by White Water."
The Delawares removed from the tract in 1815; the Shawanoes removed from their first location near the cape, and again removed as white settlers encroached on their lands, until, by the treaty of November 7, 1825, they relinquished all title to their Missouri lands, and removed to their reservation in what is now the State of Kansas. In 1831, a treaty was concluded with the Ohio Shawanoes, giving them a certain sum for their improvements in that State, and land contiguous to the Missouri Shawanoes in Indian Territory. A portion of the tribe removed in 1832; the remainder, in the fall of the following year.
The good results of the habits of thrift and industry which these Shawanoes had acquired, aided and encouraged by the influence of the missionaries, who soon settled among them in their new location, were, after a few years, apparent in the comparatively comfortable houses and the well-cultivated fields which multiplied on their reservation.
An act was passed in 1853, granting the Ohio Shawanoes $66,000 additional compensation for their improvements in that State--twenty years after their removal. This sum was paid to the Ohio band at their reservation in Kansas.
On May 10, 1854, the tribe ceded to the United States the entire tract set apart for them November 7, 1825, and conveyed to the tribe by deed, May 11, 1844, containing about 1,600,000 acres, and by a provision of the same treaty, the United States retroceded to the tribe "200,000 acres to be selected between the Missouri State line and a line parallel thereto and west of the same thirty miles distant, which parallel line shall be drawn from the Kansas River to the southern boundary line of the country herein ceded."
Three sections of land were to be set apart to the Missionary Society of the Methodist Church South; 320 acres to the Friends' Shawnee Labor School; 160 acres to the American Baptist Missionary Union; five acres to the Shawnee Methodist Church; and two acres to the Shawnee Baptist Church--all to be considered a part of the retroceded 200,000 acres. The residue of the tract was to be divided, each individual receiving 200 acres, to be deeded in fee simple, and whatever remained to be set apart for any other Shawnees who might thereafter unite with the tribe.
The privilege of selecting lands extended to every head of a family who, though not a Shawnee, had legally married into the nation, according to their customs, all persons adopted into the tribe, all minor orphan children of Shawnees, and all incompetent persons, to have selections made adjacent to their friends and relatives.
Other provisions were as follows: "In the settlement known as Black Bob's Settlement, in which he has an improvement, whereon he resides, and in that known as Long Tail's Settlement, in which he has an improvement, whereon he resides, there are a number of Shawnees who desire to hold their lands in common; it is therefore agreed that all Shawnees, including the persons adopted as aforesaid, incompetent persons, and minor children who reside in said settlements, and all who shall, within sixty days after the approval of the surveys hereinafter provided for by the United States, signify their election to join either of said communities and reside with them, shall have a quantity of land assigned and set off to them in a compact body, at each of settlements aforesaid, equal to 200 acres to each indvidual in each of said communities."
Article 4, reads as follows:
"Those of the Shawnees who may elect to live in common, shall hereafter be permitted, if they so desire, to make separate selections within the bounds of the tract, which may have been assigned to them in common, and such selections shall be made in all respects in conformity with the rule herein provided to govern those who shall in the first instance make separate selections."By Article 6, the grants of land made to missionary societies and churches were subject to the following provisions:
The grant to the Missionary Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, to be confirmed to the society, or to such person or persons as might be designated by the society, on the allowance by the society of $10,000, to be applied to the education of the Shawnee youth.
The grants to the societies of the Baptists and Friends to be held by their respective boards so long as the schools connected therewith should be kept in operation; whenever the schools were finally suspended, the lands, with the improvements, to be sold at public sale to the highest bidder--the proceeds to be applied to the use of the Shawnees--minus the value of the improvements, which should be given to the respective boards.
Joseph Parks and Black Hoof, principal chiefs, at the request of the tribe, were allowed to select certain lands--Joseph Parks' being equal to two sections, including his residence and improvements; and Black Hoof's being equal to one section, including residence and improvements. The treaty was signed by Joseph Parks, Black Hoof, George McDougal, Long Tail, George Blue Jacket, Graham Rogers, Black Bob, Henry Blue Jacket--representing the bands that were parties to the treaty of November 7, 1825, and August 8, 1831.
For the land ceded by the Shawanoes, they were to be paid the sum of $829,000, of which $40,000 should be invested for educational purposes, $700,000 paid in seven equal installments, and the remainder within a month of the time of the last annual payment. Henry Harvey, their faithful Quaker friend and teacher, gives the following account of their condition at the time this treaty was made, in his "History of the Shawnee Indians:"
"The Shawnees, in the year 1854, numbered about nine hundred souls, including the white men, who have inter-married into the nation, and are thereby adopted as Indians. This number is perhaps, not more than twenty.This tribe owns about 1,600,000 acres of land, or about 1,700 acres each. Many of them have good dwelling houses, well provided with useful and respectable furniture, which is kept in good order by the females, and they live in the same manner as the whites do, and live well, too. They have smoke-houses, stables, corn-cribs and other outbuildings. They have a good supply of horses, cattle, hogs, and some sheep. They have many farm wagons, and work oxen--some carriages and buggies, and are generally well supplied with farming implements, and know how to use them. They raise abundance of corn and oats, and some wheat. Their houses are generally very neat; built of hewn logs, with shingled roof, stone chimneys, and the inside work very well finished off, and mostly done by themselves, as there are a number of very good mechanics among the younger class. Their fencing is very good, and taken altogether, their settlements make a very respectable appearance, and would lose no credit by a comparison with those of their white neighbors in the State adjoining them, leaving out, now and then, a farm where slaves do the labor, and thus carry on farming on a large scale.
The Shawnees have a large and commodious meeting-house, where they hold a religious meeting on the first day of each week. They have also a graveyard attached to the meeting-house lot. They hold religious meetings often at their own houses during the week, generally at night. They hold their camp-meetings and their other large meetings in their meeting house, as well as their public councils, and also their temperance meetings, for they, in imitation of their white brethern, and as a means of arresting the worst evil which ever overtook the Indians, organized a society on this subject and have their own lectures, in which they are assisted by some of the missionaries. * * * * * As regards the settlements of the Shawnees, in their present situation, they are all located on about thirty miles of the east end of their tract. * * * Along the margin of the timbered lands are the Shawnee"s settlements, having timber for buildings, rails and firewood on one side, and on the other side are their farms, and the delightful prairies for grazing, and for hay for their stock in winter. * * * * *
In passing along the California and Santa Fe roads, which run on the Divide between the streams of the Blue and Osage Rivers and the Kansas River; in casting the eye on either side, a handsome view is presented on both hands of good dwellings, handsome farms bordering on the forest, and fine heads of cattle and horses grazing in the rich prairies as we pass, and beautiful fields of grain sown, planted and cultivated by the Indians themselves. The Shawnees generally sow a large amount of grain, and often spare a large surplus after supplying their own wants."
The Shawanoes eventually established a form of government, the power being vested in the principal chiefs and a council elected by a direct vote of the male adults. This council met semi-monthly, a day constituting a session. At the election of 1855, the members elected to the council were Henry Blue Jacket, Dougherty, Tooley, Simon Hill and Tucker. The Clerk was Matthew King; the Interpreter, Charles Blue Jacket; and the principal chiefs were Joseph Parks and Graham Rogers.
[Rev. Thomas Johnson, Deceased, "Late Indian Missionary and President of the first Territorial Council."]
During the war, the Black Bob* band abandoned their reservation, which was in the southeastern part of Johnson County, and the title to the lands has been a disputed question for years.
*See Black Bob Reservation, Johnson County.
The Eastern band of Shawanoes, numbering about ninety, was removed to the Quapaw Reserve, Indian Territory, and the Absentee band, of 688, to the Sac and Fox Reserve.
The Government Agents in charge of the Shawanoe Indians have been the following: Maj. R. W. Cummings, from 1828 to 1849; Luke Lee, from 1849 to 1852; Thomas Mosely, from 1852 to 1854; B. F. Robinson, from 1854 to 1855; R. C. Miller, from 1855 to 1856; Benjamin F. Newsom, from 1856 to 1861; Maj. J. B. Abbott, from 1861 to 1866; H. L. Taylor, from 1866 to 1868; Reuben L. Roberts, from 1868 to 1871.
SHAWNEE MISSIONARY ESTABLISHMENTS.
The first mission school among the Shawnees was established by Rev. Thomas Johnson in 1829, in the present town of Shawnee, Johnson County. The mission was under the direction of the Missouri Methodist Conference, and was for several years taught by Rev. and Mrs. Thomas Johnson, assisted by Rev. and Mrs. William Johnson. In 1835, the scholars numbered twenty-seven, supported in part by the mission and in part by their parents. The Church congregation numbered, in the same year, seventy-four Shawnees. In 1839, the school was removed to a location two miles southwest of Westport, Mo., where a grant of 2,240 acres had been secured. Large and commodious buildings of brick were erected, and a manual labor school opened, which was in operation until 1862. The three sections of land granted to the mission by the Shawnees in 1839 were secured to the society by the terms of the treaty of 1854. The school was a successful one, averaging about one hundred pupils.
In regard to the early Methodist missions, Mrs. Lucy B. Armstrong of Wyandot, writes as follows in the Kansas Methodist:
"The history of the missions of the M. E. Church in the Indian Territory before the General Conference of 1844 has been written by abler pens than mine, and I will only state that all the mission schools which had been established in that part of the Indian Territory now included in the State of Kansas were consolidated in one grand establishment--the Indian Manual Labor School, on the Shawnee Reserve, a mile or two west of Westport, Mo. There were about two sections of land inclosed and under cultivation and well stocked with domestic animals, as well as a few buffalo; two large brick buildings for the school teachers rooms, Superintendent's rooms, dining-room, kitchen and rooms for the Missionary to the Shawnees, an excellent flouring-mill, several mechanics' shops, a store for the mission, and quite a village of nice frame dwelling- houses for mechanics and other employes. Bishop Harris, when Missionary Secretary, told the writer that more than $20,000 of the funds of the Missionary Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church had been used in building up the mission previous to the time when the M. E. Church South took possession of it. And, in addition to that, the missionaries had obtained the entire use of the Delaware Indian School Fund of $4,000 per annum for ten years, and the Shawnee School Fund of $1,500 per annum. The produce of the fields was quite a help in supporting the school which did not average as many as 150 pupils per annum, and there was always a long vacation. Thus there were ample means to erect an additional large brick building, which was done in 1846 or 1847, and afterward another section of land was added to it."The First Baptist Mission was established in 1831, through the efforts and influence of Rev. Isaac McCoy. Dr. Johnston Lykins and wife were appointed by the Baptist Missionary Convention teachers and missionaries to the Shawanoes, and arrived at their post in July, 1831. No appropriation having been made by the Baptist Board of Missions for the erection of buildings, Mr. Lykins purchased a small tract of United States land, immediately on the Missouri State Line, built a small log house at his own expense, and commenced his labors, serving not only as a minister and teacher, but also as physician. In April, 1832, an appropriation was made and the necessary buildings erected. This mission house was the first home of all the early Baptist missionaries.
Rev. and Mrs. Robert Simerwell, Rev. and Mrs. Jotham Meeker and Rev. and Mrs. Moses Merril, all arrived during the fall of 1833, and had temporary quarters at the Baptist Shawnee Mission. In the same year, Dr. Lykins, by authority of Hon. Lewis Cass, Secretary of War, was appointed by the board General Superintendent of Baptist Affairs in the Indian Territory, and the charge of the Shawnee Mission fell into the hands of Mr. Meeker. The church numbered at this time sixteen members, regular meetings being held at the mission house, and occasional ones at the house of the Indians. A school was also in operation. Mr. Meeker brought with him to the Shawnee Mission a small printing press and types, which was put in operation during the winter of 1833-34, and, by the 10th of May, 1834, two books had been printed, according to a system of phonography invented by Mr. Meeker, and several adults, as well as children, had learned to read and write.
In the spring of 1839, Rev. Francis Barker was appointed missionary to the Shawanoes, and removed to the mission. October 23, he was married to Miss Churchill, a missionary at the same post, and under their efficient management, the school, which had been temporarily abandoned, was revived. In 1848, comfortable buildings were erected--mission buildings and a pretty frame church near the old Santa Fe highway. The mission was in successful operation until the latter part of 1855, Dr. Barker being its faithful teacher, minister and physician for over sixteen years.
The Friends' Mission was established in the summer of 1834. A family was sent out by the society to superintend it, a teacher procured and a school organized, which was kept in successful operation many years. In the spring of 1840, Henry Harvey took charge of the mission, and remained two years, the school numbering, when he left, forty children. The mission was supported by the Society of Friends. A large frame house, with barn and outbuildings, and 200 acres of land under cultivation, constituted the mission property.
Mr. Mendenhall was teacher at this mission six years. The Hadleys--Jeremiah and his two sons--and Mr. and Mrs. Thayer, with their two daughters, were also faithful and efficient workers, teachers and Superintendents.
The school was discontinued about the time of the opening of the war. The mission received no aid from Government, but was supported by the societies of Friends in Indiana and Ohio.