|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (SAMS - SUNDERLAND).
P. A. SAMS, buggy manufacturer and blacksmith, was born in Germany, and came to the United States in infancy, and was raised in Cincinnati, Ohio. He went to Indiana in 1854, where he received a high school education, and resided in Pennsylvania from 1860 to 1870. He came to Kansas in 1870; located in Girard and opened a general blacksmithing and buggy manufacturing establishment. He owns residence and business property in Girard. He has been a member of the City Council. He is an Odd Fellow and a member of the A. O. U. W., being Select Knight of the latter order. He was married to Miss Mary Lehr, of Pennsylvania, in 1860, and they have one child - Willie, born in 1861, who is now clerking for J. W. Edwards, and keeping books. Willie graduated from Spaulding's Commercial College in 1881, receiving a diploma.
HON. CHARLES DANA SAYRS, County Attorney, was born in Alexandria, Va., May 15, 1839. His father, John J. Sayrs, was a prominent Virginia physician, who died during the infancy of his son. His grandfather, John J. Sayrs, was a distinguished Episcopal minister, and the first rector of St. John's Church at Georgetown, District of Columbia, and in buried under the chancel of that church, with the following inscription upon his monument, by Francis F. (sic) Key, author of the Star Spangled Banner, who was one of the communican (sic) "Here lies he now - yet grieve not thou for him, Reader, he trusted in that love where none Have ever vainly trusted. Rather let his marble speak to thee, And shouldn't thou feel the rising of a new and solemn thought, Waked by this place, and memorial, Oh, listen to its impulse - 'tis divine, And shall guide thee to a life of joy, A death of hope and endless joy hereafter." Mr. Sayrs was educated at Hollowell's Institute, Alexandria; upon leaving school he emigrated to Kansas, and located at White Cloud, Doniphan County, August 20, 1857, where he was actively identified with merchandising until 1862, when he went to Salmon River, Oregon, in search of gold, remaining there until 1866. While there, the Territory of Idaho was organized, and he was appointed to the clerkship of the court of his judicial district. In 1865, he was elected from Boise county, as member of the House of Representatives, and was admitted that year to the bar. During this incumbency, he was an active and efficient member in the House. In 1866, he returned to his native place, and in the following year he came to Kansas and located at Hays City, where he remained until 1868, when he came here and enlisted his interest in behalf of the settlers in their controversy with the railway company in regard to the Joy purchase of lands, comprising Crawford and Cherokee County land, and worked actively in the general development of this locality. In 1871, he was elected Register of Deeds for this county. In 1874, he was elected Justice of the Peace, and held the position for three years. In 1876, he was appointed City Clerk and Attorney of Girard, which incumbency he held until 1880, when he was elected to his present position, which he has reputably held for each consecutive term since, usually carrying his majority, as Democratic nominee in each instance, equal to the regular Republican majority of this county. He is and has been an active worker in the A., F. & A. M. society, for many years. In 1860, by dispensation, and when on a visit to his native town, he was initiated in the first three degrees of masonry, in Washington, Alexandria Lodge, No. 22, D. C., the same lodge of which President Washington was a member and its first master. In 1872 he received his demit from this lodge and became a member of Girard Lodge, No. 93, A., F. & A. M., of which he has held the secretaryship for the last eight years, and has worked in the Chapter of Royal Arch Masons since 1876, and is a Knight Templar. March, 1883, became a member of Hugh De Payne Commandery, of Fort Scott. December 7, 1870, he married Miss Elizabeth P. Coffin, who was born and reared in Waupaca, Wis. They have two little girls living - Mary and Henrietta. Himself and family are members of the Episcopal Church.
GEORGE W. SCHOLL, M. D., was born in Perry, Pike County, Ill., July 24, 1835. His youth was spent on a farm and in a mill, and he began the study of medicine at the age of seventeen, graduating in 1858, at Missouri Medical College of St. Louis, Mo. He then went to Adams County, Ill., and practiced until 1865, and afterward in Cass County, Mo., until 1869, at which time he came to Kansas and settled in Crawford County, moving to Girard in 1874, where he continued to practice, and has also opened and improved a farm of 160 acres, and ran it as a stock, grain and fruit farm. Dr. Scholl improved a farm of 160 acres, and has in addition a farm of twenty acres adjoining the town of Girard, well improved. He has taught school four terms. He is a member of the Baptist Church, and occupies a pulpit in Crawford County. He was married to Miss Jane Penny, of England, February 22, 1859. Dr. and Mrs. Scholl have eight children - Grayson B., Edward B., Susan M., Joseph A., John R., Eugenie K., Robert A., Rachel E., Nellie, deceased; George W., deceased; W. H. deceased. Grayson G. is now attending the Kansas City University, having attended Keokuk Medical College in 1881 and 1882. Graduated March 13, 1883, in K. C. U., Medical Department.
R. W. SCHOONMAKER, farmer and dealer in hay and grain shipping, Section 11, Township 29, Range 23, P. O. Girard, was born in New York in 1833; was raised on a farm and received an academical education. At the age of twenty-one he commenced farming for himself in Albany County, west side of the Hudson River, near Cedar Hill, continuing ten years; then moved to Lewis County, N. Y., in the hotel and livery business in connection with the farm five years. He came to Kansas in April, 1873, and located in Fort Scott for a short time, then moved to Crawford County, and located on his present home of 160 acres, which he opened and improved, and on which he raises principally grain and broom corn; has a full line of fruits of all kinds. His farm is under good cultivation, fenced with hedge and wire. Mr. Schoonmaker ships from 1,000 to 1,500 tons of hay per annum. He married Miss Annie A. Adams, of New York, in 1859; they have two children - Sarah C. and Arthur w. Their pleasant home is one mile northwest of Girard, the county seat.
DR. D. W. SCOTT was born at Locust Grove, Brooke Co., West Va. Locust Grove was a charming place of residence, embowered in shade and fruit trees, and for more than a quarter of a century was the scene of attraction and interest to a wide and influential circle of friends. Robert Scott, father of D. W. Scott, built the mansion in 1825. He was for years recognized as a leader in all moral, educational and religious enterprises. He was an extensive stock raiser, and his large farm was a model of order and skill. Seven sons and as many daughters cherish recollections of this place as their happy childhood home. All of these children but one received an academic education, after graduating at the old schoolhouse "down the lane." D. W. Scott was educated at Allegheny College and the Wesleyan University. In 1856, he removed to Iowa, purchased a farm adjoining Mount Pleasant, and engaged in mercantile pursuits in that city. He was a sufferer in the disastrous financial crisis of 1857, and hence decided to lead a professional life. After attending a course of lectures at Lind University, Chicago, he began the practice of medicine at Shawnee, then the county seat of Johnson County, Kan. Here, for three years, he enjoyed a large and lucrative practice, but, upon again entering commercial life, he suffered another reverse. During the perilous times of early days, he became widely known as a fearless Free-State man. His home and storehouse were burned down by the notorious Quantrill, and his life was threatened more than once. For his alleged proceedings against his Pro-slavery neighbors, he was one of the "spotted men," and the rope was even purchased for his execution. When the war broke out and the waves of loyalty and disloyalty met along the border, ti became more perilous than ever, and many of the people were obliged to flee from their homes for safety. The Doctor's health not being sufficient to endure army life, he returned to Mount Pleasant, Iowa. Here he successfully followed the practice of his profession, and was placed in charge of the camp hospital of the Twenty-fifth Iowa Regiment. Of the large number of soldiers treated by him, all recovered, and were either sent to their homes, or were forwarded to their respective regiments in the field. In the winter of 1862, Dr. Scott removed to Eddyville, Iowa, and engaged in the drug business. Unremitting attention to business for two years and a half made another change necessary, and in the spring of 1864, he sold out and made the overland trip to Denver. He returned to Iowa in the fall greatly improved in health. Within sixty days from his return, himself and family, with an outfit of two teams, and wagons well stocked with provisions, reached Colorado, with the view of making that their future home. While living in Iowa, he had been licensed to preach by the Methodist Episcopal Church, and had been ordained by Bishop Ames. On going to Colorado it was his purpose to enter the ministry, and did acceptably supply the pulpit at Golden City one year. Besides this he built up two other prosperous societies, but as there were only a few opportunities within the entire Conference to earn a living for his family, he removed to the city of Cheyenne. This city was one of the wonders of its day in its magical enterprise and growth. Thousands of people came rushing together from all parts of the word, and in the brief space of one year, Cheyenne was built up and had assumed the spectacle of a busy mart, with every trade, institution and facility of a first-class city. The Doctor was now in his element. He immediately opened an office in Beckwith's pioneer store, and erected a store room in the heart of the city. He wrote editorials for the Tri-Weekly Leader, and, after organizing the First Methodist Episcopal Church, supplied it with hymn-books, and with one of Smith's firs-class American organs. He was afterward re-imbursed by the Society for these outlays, besides being publicly presented by the citizens of Cheyenne with a purse of $350. This is undoubtedly, to him, one of the most pleasant reminiscenses (sic) connected with the early history of that city, which is so full of tragic scenes of terror and wickedness. The schoolhouse furnished a chapel for the church of which he was pastor, and when it became too small to seat the congregation he was permitted to put in folding doors between adjoining rooms, thus acquiring ample room to accommodate both Sunday school and church. After about a year Bishop Simpson visited Cheyenne, and at the request of Dr. Scott, sent a minister from Wilmington, Del., to take charge of this important work. Upon his arrival this minister was delighted to find a well-organized society and a flourishing Sunday school already in existence. From Cheyenne Dr. Scott removed to Lincoln, Neb., where he resumed the practice of medicine and the drug business. Here he built and owned the Commercial Hotel, and numerous other buildings. For three years he was connected with the State Board of Building Commissioners. He was also President of the Board of Trustees for the State Insane Hospital, and was a short time Superintendent of the Hospital. He took an active interest in the cause of education, of temperance, morality and religion. He was President of the State Temperance Association, and published a campaign paper in its interest during his residence in Lincoln. Becoming embarrassed in 1873, through the failure of others, he reluctantly left the beautiful city of Lincoln and returned to Kansas, settling in Girard. Here for nearly eight years he industriously prosecuted the drug business, and also followed the practice of medicine, and has been frequently called to the advocacy, on the platform, of education, temperance and religion. He has recently been appointed a delegate to the National Medical Convention, which meets in Topeka in June, 1883, and is one of the Trustees of the new Medical College located at the same place. Dr. Scott was married in 1856, to Miss E. J. Martin. Mrs. Scott has always been an active co-laborer with her husband, especially in the temperance work. She is several years younger than her husband, who has just passed his fiftieth year. Of their eight living children, Miss May V., the eldest daughter, holds a position in the United States Treasury Department; Charles F., the eldest son, is in the employ of Meyer Bros. & Co., wholesale druggists; their second daughter is married to H. O. Sitter, of Bloomington, Neb., and the five younger children are attending school in Girard.
ARTHUR SHARP, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Girard, was born near Lamberton, N. J., in 1822. He emigrated with his parents to Ohio in 1830, locating near Springboro, Warren county. In the year 1835, when our subject was thirteen, he moved with his parents to Preble County, Ohio, and was identified in that State until 1858, when he located in Lenawee County, Mich., and was identified with his present industry in that State until 1869, when he came to Kansas and located upon his present place, which he has improved from a raw prairie to its present condition. His farm contains 160 acres of improved land, well fenced, watered and stocked, handsome dwellings, barns and stables, and a nice orchard of assorted fruits. He married in 1850, Mrs. Mary Flitcraft - formerly Atkinson of his native State. They have a family of one son living - P. R. Flitcraft, attorney at law, at St. Louis, Mo. since locating here, our subject has worked actively in the development of the social and industrial life of his locality. He has served his county as Treasurer and Commissioner here, and was altogether a very active man in public life in Michigan. He and wife are avowed disciples of Spiritualism.
JOHN G. SHIFFLER, farmer, Section 6, P. O. Girard, was born in Pennsylvania June 13, 1837, and was raised on a farm. He began farming in Illinois at the age of nineteen and farmed five years; then went to Livingston County and opened a farm of 160 acres; he sold out and went to Dwight, Ill. He engaged in the coal and brick business two years; then shelled corn for a company seven years; he was then on the railroad two years. In 1876 he came to Kansas and settled in Crawford County, on his present farm of 160 acre, which he bought and improved, and he ran it as a grain and stock farm, and fed cattle and hogs. He keeps about thirty-five head of cattle and 100 head of hogs, and has all kinds of fruits. He has three miles of hedge and wire fence. He is an Odd Fellow. He was married to Miss Sarah Netzly, of Pennsylvania, in 1859; they have eight children - Milton, Emma, Mary, John (deceased), Samuel (deceased), Jennie, Hattie, Mathias, Loulie (sic) and Sada (sic).
NELSON SINNET, general merchant, was born in Granville, Licking Co., Ohio, October 21, 1835, where he received a business education, and went into a store at the age of eighteen as a clerk, remaining three years; he then went to Columbus, Ohio, as a clerk for two years; went on a prospecting trip to St. Louis, Kansas City, Sedalia, Leavenworth, Fort Scott, Olathe and the then called neutral lands of Kansas. After returning home he came to St. Louis, and was next in Kansas on a prospecting tour of several months. He then bought a herd of cattle and kept them one year, sold out and returned to Sedalia and remained six months, and then came to Crawford County, Kan., prospecting. In June, 1868, he went to Baxter Springs, then returned to Girard and made permanent location, building the second store in Girard, in which he opened his present business. He run the business init four years, and then built the present house. He was the first Treasurer of the town, holding the office three terms; was Postmaster in Girard in 1869, at $100 per month, also City and School Treasurer, and was appointed County Treasurer. He is an Odd Fellow and is Trustee of the same, and has attained to the rank of Deputy Grand Master of the State, and past Chief Patriarch of the State, and a past Sachem of Panionkee Tribe, No. 2, Improved Order of Red Men.
HUSTON B. SMITH, livery, was born in Illinois, June 20, 1847. Farmed in Illinois five years, and came to Kansas and settled in Crawford County, and improved a farm of 160 acres, and continued for nine years to raise stock and grain. Came to Girard in 1879 and opened his present business. Mr. Smith owns an interest in livery, stock and property. He was married to Miss Mary E. Ashcraft, of Indiana, in 1875. They have one child - Axie (sic) Ethel A. Mr. Smith belongs to the Order of Odd Fellows.
W. R. SMITH, barber and hair dresser, and dealer in cigars and tobacco, was born in Belmont County, Ohio, in 1837, and was raised and educated in Van Buren County, Iowa. In September, 1861, he enlisted in Company H, Third Iowa Cavalry, and did active (sic) until 1863, when he was honorably discharged on account of disability; after the war he practiced photographing for a few years in Iowa, and afterward engaged in merchandising, with which he was connected there until 1870, when he located here and engaged at his present profession, with which he has been very successfully connected since. He married in 1864, Miss Caroline R. Clark, of his native county, who departed this life February 7, 1874, and is buried in Girard Cemetery, leaving two daughters living - Mary R. and Sarah K. In 1874, he married Miss Elizabeth J. Trisler, of Decatur County, Ind. They have two daughters - Delilah E. and May Bell. He is an active member of the A., F. & A. M. society.
A. SPARKS, bakery and restaurant, was born in Indiana in 1839, was raised on a farm, received a common school education, and at the age of nineteen began business for himself in Indiana, which he continued two years; he then went to Illinois and worked on a farm until 1869, thence to Crawford County, Kan., where he opened and improved a farm of eighty acres; after four years he sold this and bought and improved another farm of 160 acres, he again sold out, and bought a farm of 160 acres, which he improved and worked on four years; he then sold out and came to Girard, and opened his present business, and now owns thirteen lots and two residences. He is a member of the Baptist Church, organised a Sunday school in Crawford County, and was Superintendent of same eight years. He was married to Miss Mary E. Boyd, of Illinois, in 1869. They have three children - Maude O., Roy H. and Earnest.
G. W. SPENCER, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 6, P. O. Girard, was born in Illinois April 12, 1821, and was reared in Scott County, Ky., to the farming industry. He, however, followed the wool carding business there for many years. In 1878, he came to Kansas, and located here, and has very actively prosecuted his present industry here since. In 1850, he married Miss Jane Walters, of Kentucky. They have a family of three daughters living - Sarah P. (now Mrs. S. H. Arnold, of Sheridan Township), Elvira J. (now Mrs. David South, of Topeka, Kan.), Walberga (at home). The family are members of the Christian Church. During the war, Mr. Spencer did active service in Company K, One Hundred and Seventeenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, from 1862 till the end of the war, when he was honorably discharged. His farm contains 160 acres of improved land, well fenced and watered and stocked, good dwellings and stables and an orchard of nicely assorted variety of fruits.
J. W. STEVENS, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 29, P. O. Girard, was born in Washington County, Penn., in 1839, and was reared in Madison County, Ill., to the farming industry, with which he was identified in that State till 1865, when he located here, and has been actively identified with the farming and stock industry of this locality since. In October, 1861, he married Miss Lavina Sutton, who was born ad reared in Madison County, Ill. They have one son living - John W., and have buried their only daughter, Mary Catherine, in Saline Cemetery, Madison County, Ill. Mr. Stevens has worked actively as school official of his district for several years. The family are members of the Baptist Church. His farm contains 160 acres of improved land, well fenced and watered and stocked, good dwelling and barns and stables, and an orchard of five acres of nicely assorted fruits.
J. C. SUNDERLAND, photographic artist, was born and reared in Brookville, Iowa, and engaged at his profession in 1875, at the age of twenty-two, in Allerton, Wayne County, Iowa. In 1876, he located here, and has been very successfully connected with his business here since. In 1879, he married Miss Nannie A. Brooks, who was born and reared in Knoxville, Ill. They have a family of one son and daughter - Ivy Iona and William Ray. Mr. Sunderland is an active member of the I. O. O. F. Society here. The family are members of the M. E. Church.