|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
WM. V. BERRY, of the firm of Dennis & Berry, dealers in hardware, was born in Morgan County, Ohio, September 28, 1834; went to Schuyler County, Ill., in 1839, lived there twenty years. He was raised a farmer and received a liberal education. He went to Colorado in 1859 and was in the mines there three years; then enlisted in the First Colorado Cavalry and soldiered three years and two months, and during that time traveled over a large portion of Colorado, Utah and New Mexico, a part of the time with the noted Scout Kit Carson. Was in several fights with the Indians; was wounded twice, and is still carrying some of their lead in one of his ankles. He returned to Illinois in 1866, and in 1872 came to Kansas and located at Cherokee, Crawford County, engaging in his present business. He owns a residence and business property, and also in connection with Mr. Dennis owns an addition to Cherokee.
MRS. M. A. CASTERLINE, millinery and fancy goods, was born in Illinois December 13, 1841, and was raised in the millinery business. She received a high school education and began business in Iowa at the age of twenty-two, and continued fifteen years. She came to Cherokee in 1876 and opened her present business. She is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. She was married to Mr. M. J. Casterline, of Iowa, in 1856. They have three children--T. H., Annie and Charles.
A. N. CHADSEY, general merchant, grain and stock dealer, was born in Illinois January 8, 1838, and received a business education, graduating at Bryant & Stratton's Commercial College. He enlisted in the army in 1862 in the One Hundred and Nineteenth Illinois Infantry, Company C; was mustered in at Quincy; was in the Army of the Mississippi, Sixteenth Army Corps, under A. J. Smith; was in the fight around Vicksburg; was on the Red River expedition; followed Price through Missouri; fought Hood at Nashville; was in the siege at Spanish Fort and Fort Blakely, and was mustered out at Mobile, September, 1865. Then after taking a course at Bryant & Stratton's College, came to Kansas in 1866 and located at Monmouth in a general store three years, and then to Cherokee, and was in business with Jo Lucus three years; sold out and built the house and started the firm of Chadsey & Bro., and ran it three years, at which time his brother died, since which he has managed it alone. Opened a branch store at Monmouth i 1879. He owns two improved farms of 160 acres each; owns a brick store 25x140 feet, two stories and basement; owns a residence with six lots. He is Mayor of the city and Clerk of his School District. He is a Freemason and a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, of which he is commander. He was a member of the first county organization. He was married to Miss S. E. Adam, of Kansas, in 1868. They have five children living--Ida, Florence, Fred N., Robbie (deceased), Mildred and Frank L. Mr. Chadsey owns a store and elevator, the capacity of which is 12,000 bushels. He buys and sells grain and stock of all kinds.
WILLIAM H. CLARK, druggist, was born in Ohio July 11, 1839. He received a common school education and was raised in the mercantile business. At the age of sixteen he began clerking for his father in Oshkosh, Wis., and continued twelve years. He came to Kansas in 1858, prospecting, and returned to Wisconsin in the winter of 1859 and 1860. He remained a short time and them went to North Missouri with his father, meeting the drouth[sic] of 1860; returned to Southern Iowa to winter. In the spring of 1861, he started to Kansas; went as far as St. Joseph, Mo., and joined the army for three years, in the Thirty-fifth Missouri Regiment, Company B. He went in as a private, and came out as Regimental Quartermaster, July, 1865. He returned to St. Joseph, Mo., and clerked one winter; then went to Kansas and settled in Cherokee County on a farm of 160 acres, which he improved and ran eleven years as a stock and grain farm. He has a good line of all kinds of fruits and berries, hedge and wire fence, fine stock, water, and sixty acres of timber on a creek which runs through the farm. Mr. Clark owns in connection with his father, 570 acres of fine farm lands--150 acres of timber, 300 acres in cultivation and 140 acres in pasture. He owns residence and business house in Cherokee. He was married to Miss Augusta Wygant, of New York, March, 1866. They have three children--Mary A., Ida I. and Jennie. Mrs. Clark is a graduate of the Alford Center University, N. Y. Miss Mary A. Clark is Secretary of the Union Sunday school and is organist at the Presbyterian Church.
MISS JOSIE CULPEPPER, dealer in groceries and queensware, was born in Missouri February 10, 1859. She was educated in the high school and taught school in Missouri five years. She came to Kansas in 1882, locating in Cherokee and opened the above business in May of that year. Miss Culpepper owns an interest in two farms in Missouri and one in Arkansas.
J. M. DENNIS, of the firm of Dennis & Berry, dealers in hardware, was born in Illinois March 19, 1837, and was educated in the high school at Galesburg, Ill. He began teaching school at the age of twenty-one, in Illinois, and continued twelve years. He was then in merchandise three years. He came to Kansas in 1872 and settled in Cherokee and opened his present business. He bought and improved 160 acres of land, owns residence and business property, which he built. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and was on the building committee of the Presbyterian Church. He was on the School Board several years; was the first Mayor of the city and has been Mayor twice since, and was Councilman twice. He carries a stock of from $7,000 to $8,000 and sells yearly from $30,000 to $35,000 worth. He was married to Mrs. T. D. Jones, of Illinois, in 1868. Mrs. Dennis is a member of the Presbyterian Church and takes an active part in churches and schools, and is a strong advocate of the temperance cause.
THOMAS L. DONNELLY, of the firm of Donnelly & Jackson, furniture dealers, was born in New York July 12, 1836. He began farming at the age of eighteen years in New Jersey, and farmed two years, then moved to Illinois settling on a farm until 1861, at which time he joined the army and was mustered out in 1865. He then farmed for two years in Illinois; was then in the drug business for two years in Illinois. He came to Kansas in 1875 and located on a farm of 160 acres, which he improved and ran two years, then came to Cherokee and engaged in the ice business with W. F. Hainer four years, then bought out a furniture and undertaking house and ran in for two years, then took Mr. Jackson as a partner, and has since continued it as the above named firm. He is a Freemason and a member of the A. O. U. W., Select Knights and belongs to the Chapter of Knights. He was married to Miss Mary C. Brewer, of Illinois, in 1864. They have three children--Jennie B., Ada and Orin W.
J. H. FOSTER, butcher and dealer in hides, was born in Canada June 20, 1858. At the age of sixteen he began trading in stock of all kinds, and continued in Canada until 1877. He then moved to Chicago, then to Quincy, Ill., then to Cherokee, and bought a farm of eighty acres in Cherokee County, which he improved. He opened a butcher shop in Cherokee in 1880. Sold out in 1881, and went to Western Kansas and dealt in stock a short time. He then went to Red Cloud, Hastings, and Omaha, Neb.; then to Cheyenne, Wy.; then to Salt Lake City; then to Denver, Leadville, Montana, Pike's Peak, Colorado Springs, Pueblo, New Mexico; then to Cherokee, Kan., a short time; then to Springfield, Mo.; was then in Arkansas trading in cattle. Returned to Cherokee, Crawford County, and opened a butcher shop; opened also butcher shops in Weir City and Scammonville, which he still runs.
WILLIAM F. HAINER, dealer in drugs and jewelry, was born in Pennsylvania April 22, 1850. Was raised on a farm and received a liberal education. He came to Kansas in 1868, and located at Baxter Springs as clerk in a drug store; then came to Cherokee in 1873 and opened a drug store for himself. Was Councilman and Mayor of Cherokee and City Treasurer. Is a member of A. O. U. W. Owns residence and business property in Cherokee, and also an eighty-acre stock and grain farm in Crawford County. It has a hedge and stone fence and a good line of fruits. The eighty acres is coal land, the coal of which he takes out and ships. Mr. Hainer built a brick block, 50x80, in 1882, and will occupy one part of the block with his own business in February, 1883. He also owns five tenement houses, which he built. He was married to Miss D. Keifer, of Ohio, in 1876. They have one child living--Frank C., Harry F., deceased.
G. F. HANCOCK, tonsorial artist, farming and stock dealing, was born in Lee County, Iowa, in 1854, and engaged in his profession in his native State, which he carried on actively for a few years. In 1878, he located here, and has carried on his business here since very successfully. In 1878, he married Miss E. S. Bellows, a native of Ohio. They have buried their two little boys--Alfred Homer and Aubrey Neil--in the Cherokee Cemetery. Mr. Hancock is a member of the I. O. O. F. and A. O. U. W. societies. His wife is a member of the Christian Church. His farm consists of eighty acres of improved land, in Section 24, Cherokee Township, Cherokee County, together with an orchard of fifty apple trees, a good dwelling house and stable.
J. L. JACKSON, of the firm of Donnelly & Jackson, furniture dealers, was born in Missouri in 1838. He was raised in the milling business. At the age of twenty-one, he began business for himself in Missouri, and continued there fifteen years. He came to Kansas in 1878, and settled at Monmouth, engaged in the mill business, and continued there two years, and then went into the furniture business at Cherokee in 1881. He is a member of the A. O. U. W. and Select Knights. Mr. Jackson was married to Miss Phoebe J. Norman, of Missouri, in 1867. They have two children--James H. and William E.
R. N. KEMP, dealer in grain and coal, was born in Ross County, Ohio, in 1845, and settled with his people in Muscatine County, Iowa, in 1853, where he was reared and educated. He received his literary education in the State University, and also at Greenwood Academy, Muscatine. After completing his studies, he engaged in farming and stock-raising, and followed it actively in Iowa till 1875, when he came here and engaged in his present industry, which he has carried on actively since. He married Miss Sarah F. Lucas in 1871, who departed this life in 1876, and is buried in the Cherokee Cemetery, leaving one daughter--Clara Eda. In 1879, he married Miss Jennie Murray, a native of Michigan. They have one daughter--Hattie. Mr. Kemp has worked actively in the development of the social and industrial life of this place since coming here. He is an active member of the A. O. U. W. Society and the Select Knights. The family are members of the M. E. Church. In connection with the above industry, he also has 160 acres of well-improved land, just outside of the city limits, containing a nice orchard of 100 fruit trees of a nicely assorted variety, good dwelling and stables. He is also interested in coal lands, from which he derives an important revenue.
W. A. LAIDLAW, dealer in hay and hay presses, was born in Lincoln County, Ontario Canada, in 1848, and was reared in Elgin County. In 1869, he located in Kansas, and engaged in merchandising in Pawnee, and carried it on actively for four years, after which he located here, and has been identified with his present industry here since. In 1873, he married Miss Kate C. Vestal, who was born and reared in Poweshiek County, Iowa. They have a family of one son and a daughter--W. Stanley and Juanita. Mr. Laidlaw has worked actively in the development of the public, social and industrial life of this locality since coming here. Himself and wife are members of the M. E. Church. Mr. Laidlaw began his business here upon a merely nominal capital, and has by dint of steady and persistent industry extended his trade to all of the important cities of the West, and does an annual business of $30,000.
JERRY LAGO, wagon and carriage maker and general blacksmithing, was born near Paris, France, in 1840, and learned his trade there. In 1864, he came to America, and followed his trade in the Canadas for three years, after which he followed it through Michigan and Illinois for several years, locating here in 1873, where he has very successfully carried on his present industry since. He was married in Springfield, Ill., October 2, 1868, to Miss Emma E. Crays, who was born and reared in Illinois. They have had seven children born unto them--three are dead and four survive, three sons and one daughter, to wit: Adolphus, Elizabeth Cordelia, Joseph Carl and Harry W. He is an active member of the I. O. O. F. Society. The family are members of the Methodist Church. In connection with the above industry, he owns and carries on a farm of ninety-six acres, just outside of the city limits, containing a nice orchard of 400 fruit trees of a nice assorted variety, and a good dwelling, barns and stable, etc.
S. E. LEIGH, proprietor and owner of the Anchor Mills, was born in Chautauqua County, N. Y., in 1836, and learned the profession of practical engineer in Illinois at an early age, followed it in that State for several years, and afterward in Missouri. In 1873, he located in Kansas, and was actively identified with his profession in the State till 1879, when he bought his present business and has carried it on actively since. He was married in Illinois to Miss Mary J. Poindexter, whom he buried in La Mars Cemetery, Barton County, Mo. They had one daughter--Georgie. Mr. Leigh has been an active member of the I. O. G. T. Society since 1854, of the I. O. O. F. since 1857, and of the A., F. & A. M. Society since 1878. The mill is a two-story and basement structure, situated on the line of the K. C., Ft. S. & G. Railroad in Cherokee, is run by steam, and carried on upon the "stone" process. It has a capacity of manufacturing 200 bushels of wheat a day. His trade is both custom and merchant trade. His special brand of flour is the "5A."
CAPT. GEORGE W. H. LUCAS, real estate and loans, was born in Ohio in 1835. He received a collegiate education. At the age of twenty he began farming in Iowa, and continued until 1874, at which time he came to Kansas and located at Cherokee, and opened the mercantile business in connection with the grain and stock trade. He joined the army in 1861, and was mustered out in 1865 as Brevet Major. He continued in the mercantile business until 1878, at which time he sold out and engaged in his present business. He is a member of the M. E. Church and Trustee of the same. He was married to Miss Mary F. Hitchcock, of Indiana, in 1856. They have three children--Charles M., Lillie B. and Frank E. Charles M. Lucas was educated at the State University of Kansas, graduating in June, 1881. Starting in printing The Sentinel on the Border in 1879, at the age of seventeen, and continued at it for two years. He was then at school a short time, and then returned to printing, and published The Sentinel on the Border in Cherokee, and has continued and had it published while he was at college.
JOSEPH LUCAS, of the firm of Joseph Lucas & Co., dealers in gents' furnishing goods and clothing, boots and shoes, hats and caps, was born in Iowa, May 25, 1843. He was raised on a farm and educated at the high school and took a commercial course in Bryant & Stratton's College at Davenport, Iowa. At the age of seventeen he enlisted in the army, Sixteenth Iowa Infantry, Company C, for three years and seven months, went with Sherman to the sea, was at the battle of Vicksburg and all general engagements with Grant and Sherman; went in as a private and came out as First Lieutenant in June, 1865, having been a prisoner in Andersonville for some time; came to Kansas in 1866, and located on a farm in Cherokee County and farmed two years, and then years, and then ran a saw mill at Monmouth, Crawford County, two years; then came to Cherokee in 1870, and opened a general store and continued six years, then went to Colorado in mines two and one-half years; then to Kansas City and built a natatorium and remained six months; then to Cherokee in coal business one year; then opened his present business. Owns two farms of sixty and eighty acres each, raises grain and stocks, owns an interest in 160 acres of coal land, with a vein of coal four feet and two inches thick; owns bank building in Cherokee and residence; has been Mayor of the city, has been Councilman several times; is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and is Trustee of the same; is a member of the I. O. O. F., was a delegate to the Grand Lodge at Topeka. He was married to Miss Sarah J. Van Bebber, of Illinois, in 1872. They have one son--Walter S., born May 15, 1874. Mrs. Lucas is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Lucas carries a stock of from $8,000 to $9,000, and sells from $20,000 to $25,000 yearly.
C. H. MERRIAM, saddle and harness maker, Cherokee, was born in Canada in 1844, parents from Vermont. Was raised in his business and received a common school education. Began business for himself in Illinois at the age of twenty-five, and continued for one year. He came to Kansas in 1866 and farmed until 1872, at which time he came to Cherokee and opened his present business. Handled agricultural implements for two years in the mean time. Owns a residence and business property in Cherokee; was Councilman for one year, belongs to the Order of Freemasons. Mr. Merriman was married to Miss Lucinda Lisenbee, of Tennessee, in 1868. They have four children--George H., Nellie, Ethel and Mabel; carries stock from $2,000 to $2,500 worth.
A. MORLEY, of the firm of Morley & Moore, proprietors of the Cherokee Flouring Mills, was born in Leicestershire, England, in 1837, and was reared to his present business, his father having been prominently identified with the industry. In 1856 he came to America and spent a few years in travel through the country. During the Civil War he did active service for eighteen months in the First New Jersey Cavalry, from which he has honorably discharged as Chief Bugler. He then spent a few years in search of gold in the Territories. In 1865 he settled in Illinois, and carried on milling till 1873, when he located here, and has been actively identified with his industry here since. He married in Adams County, Ill., Miss Emily Browning, who was born in Pike County, and reared in Adams County, Ill. They have one daughter--Ethel. He is an active member of the A. O. U. W. society here; his business embraces both the custom and merchant trade; his brands are "Morley's Best" and XXXX.
A. T. PAUL, of the firm of P. M. Paul & Co., merchants, was born in Ohio October 11, 1845, was raised merchant, received high school education. At the age of eighteen began mercantile business for himself in Ohio, and continued six years; then farmed six years, and was next on a farm in Iowa eighteen months; then Cherokee in present business in 1881. Mr. Paul is a member of the Order of Odd Fellows. He was married to Miss Mary E. Farney, of Ohio, in 1871. They have three children--Evert L., Ettie May and Harriette. Mrs. Paul received a high school education.
E. A. PERRY, attorney, loans and real estate, was born in Illinois December 8, 1847. Joining the army in 1862, was discharged in 1866; returned to Illinois and farmed one year; then went to Western College, Iowa; then taught school three years; attended law school at Iowa City one year; then to Abilene, Kan., and graduated in law in the spring of 1870; practiced at Abilene until the spring of 1871; came to Cherokee in 1871, and has since continued to practice law. He owns an interest in a farm of 160 acres, also owns an interest in nine acres adjoining town, residence and business property in town. He was City Attorney of Cherokee four terms, and was one of the organizers of the town. Mr. Perry was married to Miss Sarah Jameson, of Ohio, February 22, 1872.
CAPT. J. S. PRICE, proprietor "Lindell House," was born in Vermillion County, Ill., in 1831. He was identified with merchandising there till 1862, when he assisted actively in organizing Company A, Seventy-ninth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and entered the ranks as a private, but almost immediately after was promoted to the First Lieutenancy, and subsequently to the Captaincy, in which capacity he did active service till the end of the war, when he was honorably discharged. After the war he returned to merchandising, and carried it on in his native State till 1869, when he removed to Richmond, Ind., and was identified with it there till 1878. He then came here and engaged at his present industry, which he ably represents. In 1854 he married Miss Margaret J. Stigleman, of Richmond, Ind. They have a family of three sons and one daughter--Eva, now Mrs. William L. Morgan, stock-dealer of Richmond, Ind.; Wallace, Williamson and Frank. Capt. Price has been an active worker in the A., F. & A. M. society since 1864, he is also a member of Shiloh Post, No. 56, G. A. R. His hotel is well kept and neatly finished, and is the "home" for the traveling trade in Cherokee.
GRANT PRICE, of the firm of Grant Price & Co., butchers, was born in Illinois February 18, 1862, he received a business education; went to Carthage, Missouri, in 1870, and stopped a short time, and then to Cherokee, Kan., in 1871; was at school until 1874, then in railroad depot nine months; post office two years; butcher business until June, 1882, at which time he bought out J. F. Fry's interest in his father's butcher shop, and has since continued with his father in the butcher business. He owns an interest in seven acres of land near Cherokee, owns three lots in town. Mr. Price is a member of the I. O. O. F. and Good Templars, and was Grand Worthy Secretary of same.
GEORGE W. PYE, of the firm of George W. Pye & Co., bankers, was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, February 22, 1838, was educated in high school. Farmed four years with his father; entered the ministry of the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1859, and continued two years; joined the army in 1861, in the Thirty-seventh Indiana Regiment, Company H, as Second Lieutenant; was in the battle of Stone River, commanded the company and was the last one on the field. Resigned commission and was commissioned Chaplain of the Sixth Indiana at the request of the men. Returned to the ministry in 1864, and was at Belleville, Ind., two years, at Liberty, Ind., two years, Fairfield two years, Laurel eighteen months. Came to New Chicago, Kan., in 1872, and entered the ministry, and built a new church in one year; was at Chetopa two years in charge of the church: Paola one year; Ottawa one year and nine months; Wichita District one year; Emporia two years; Peabody two years; Parsons one year; then on account of failure of his wife's health came to Cherokee, and opened a bank in 1881. He owns a farm of 120 acres, and a residence in town, is a Freemason and a member of the I. O. O. F., also a member of the Knights of Emporia. Is insured in Masons and Knights of Honor for $3,800; is a member of Good Templars. He was married to Miss Julia A. Cole, of Indiana, in 1838. They have three children--Willie, Clara and Fannie C.
PATRICK RILEY, proprietor livery, feed and sale stables, was born in Hendricks County, Ind., in 1838, and was reared in Boone County, Ind. In 1867, he settled in Cherokee County, Kan., and carried on farming and stock-raising actively till 1872, when he engaged in his present industry, and has been successfully identified with it in this part of the State since. Meantime he has been connected with the farming industry. He married, in 1861, Miss Mary E. Lewis, of Parke County, Ind., who departed this life in 1872, and is buried in the cemetery at Columbus, Kan., leaving a family of two sons and two daughters--Sarah E., Lina, Elmer and William. In 1873, he married Miss Maggie Benn, of Missouri. They have one son--Tilden. Mr. Riley had been an active member of the A., F. & A. M. society since 1874. His stables are well equipped with first-class rigs; his terms are moderate. His motto is, "Close attention to business, and reasonable charges."
HENRY SCHIFFBAUER, boot and shoe manufacturer, was born in Germany August 26, 1826; came to the United States October 19, 1854; located in Illinois on a farm fifteen years; was then in Missouri a short time, and then came to Kansas, worked one year on railroad; was next at Baxter Springs a short time, then came to Cherokee and started boot and shoe business. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., and is Warden of the same. He was married to Miss Liddie Cook, of Illinois, in 1864.
H. S. SHAWGO, general blacksmithing, was born in Franklin County, Ohio, in 1848; was reared in Illinois to the farming and stock industry. In 1872, he engaged at his present business in Adams County, Ill., and followed it actively there till 1877, when he located here, and had been actively connected with his business here since. He married, in 1873, Miss Mattie Stokes, of Illinois. They have one son--Edwin. Mr. Shawgo is an active member of the A. O. U. W. society. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
A. D. STATES, was born in Ohio in 1860; was educated at the high school in West Cairo, Ohio, and graduated in 1879; was trading and prospecting until 1881, at which time he bought out a stationery store and run it until August, 1882, when he sold out and has since been trading. Mr. States opened a furniture store in Cherokee, February 1, 1883, in connection with his father, under the firm name of A. D. States & Co. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and has been steward of the same.
F. A. VESTAL, hay dealing and pressing, was born in Yadkin County, N. C., in 1835. In 1857, he located in Poweshiek County, Iowa, and was actively identified with farming there for several years. In 1862, he enlisted in Company B, Fortieth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and remained in active service till the end of the war, when he was honorably discharged. In 1866, he located in Knox County, Ill., and was identified with coal mining operations there for a few years, locating in Bourbon County, Kan., in 1869, and carrying on coal mining operations there for a few years, after which he located here, and has been principally identified with his present industry since. In 1856, he married Miss M. A. Rasley, who was born in Pennsylvania, and moved to Illinois. They have one daughter, Kate C., now Mrs. W. A. Laidlaw, whose sketch appears. Mr. Vestal is an active member of the A. O. U. W. society, and Select Knight, as also of Shiloh Post, No. 56, Grand Army of the Republic. Himself and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
FRANK L. WEBSTER, machinery, repairing and plough works, and general blacksmithing, was born in Fillmore County, Minn., in 1856, and settled in Bourbon County, Kan., in 1871, where he learned his present trade. In 1874, he located here and established his present business, which he has successfully carried on since. He married, in 1880, Miss Mary Vaughn, who was born in Illinois and reared in Door County, Wis. They have a family of two sons--Charles and Fred. Mr. Webster is an active member of the A. O. U. W. society, and is a member of Select Knights.
WILSON & CO., dealers in agricultural implements, needs, etc. S. H. Wilson and Charles Wilson, brothers, constitute the firm. The brothers are natives of Pennsylvania, and settled in Columbus, Kan., in 1870, when quite young, with their people, where they were reared and educated, Charles entering the mercantile business in 1878, at the age of eighteen, and has been actively connected with it since, engaging as principal in it here in February, 1881, but had been connected with this industry in Columbus as principal for a year previous. S. H. Wilson, a few years the elder of the brothers, began merchandising in 1878, having previously operated in mining operations. In 1880, he accepted the superintendency of the lumber interests of the firm of R. A. Long & Co. here, and has reputably held the incumbency since. In February, 1881, he joined his brother in the present enterprise. The brothers are active workers in their industry, and do an annual business of $10,000.