KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS

William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas


COFFEY COUNTY, Part 12

[TOC] [part 13] [part 11] [Cutler's History]

WAVERLY.

This town is situated in Rock Creek Township, three miles south of the Osage County line and five miles west of the Anderson County line. It is a point on the Ottawa and Burlington Railroad. In the spring of 1878 the town was platted by Isaac Pierson, who owned the farm on which the town was located. The town company was chartered in 1880, and the corporators were: W. H. Schofield, Orson Kent, James Houston, Isaac Pierson, J. W. Hammond and Thomas Donnell. The officers were as follows: James Houston, president; Isaac Pierson, vice-president; Thomas Donnell, secretary; Orson Kent, treasurer. The first house was a story and a half building, erected in 1878 by A. N. Sylvester, for a store. Several small houses for residences for railroad men were also erected that year. In the spring of 1879 Thomas Donnell erected a frame building for a dry goods store, which he kept himself. Several dwelling houses were also erected in 1879. In 1880, J. W. Hammond built a house for a general merchandise store for himself. Campbell & McSherry built a frame house for a hardware store, for themselves; Z. H. Brock built a story and a half building, the first story of which was occupied by Mrs. I. E. Murray, for a millinery store, and the second story by Mr. Brock for his residence; Peter Weikert built a story and a half frame building, the first story of which was occupied by Weikert & Butler, for a billiard hall, and the second story by the same parties, for a photograph gallery. Some dwelling houses were also erected that year.

In June, 1882, a bank was established at Waverly by R. R. Fisher and John L. Senior. In the same year a hotel 48x48 was erected by H. A. Sunday. The town has two lumber yards, two drug stores, two hardware stores, five general merchandise stores, two millinery stores, one livery stable, one restaurant, one notion and stationery store, one furniture store, one tinware and stove store, with tin shop, one confectionery store, one flour and feed store, one blacksmith shop, one wagon shop, two carpenters, two lawyers, two doctors, two preachers, two school teachers, two real estate offices and three live stock shippers. Coal and flagging stone are found on the town site. This is an excellent trading point, and the supply of goods in the town has never yet been sufficient for the demand. It is the best shipping point for live stock and grain between Ottawa and Burlington. The Waverly News was started October 5, 1882, by J. L. Senior.

CHURCHES.

The Waverly Presbyterian Church was organized May 1, 1880, with a membership of eleven. First pastor, Rev. W. M. Pocock, who still officiates. Present membership, forty-eight. Number of persons connected with the church since its organization, fifty-one. New and substantial frame building. Value of church property $2,000.

In 1881 the Congregational Church erected an edifice which cost $1,200. The church subsequently disbanded and sold its property to the school district for a schoolhouse. The Presbyterians erected a church edifice in 1882, costing $1,800. The Methodist and New Light churches have no edifices.

OTHER CHURCHES IN THE COUNTY.

Pleasant Hill Christian Church, was organized May 15, 1872, with a membership of thirty-two; first pastor, Rev. William C. Wilson; church building, frame, valued at $1,000; present number of members, eighty-four; name of present Pastor, Rev. A. H. Britton.

North Big Creek Baptist Church. -- Organized in May, 1871. Rev. J. Mickel, first pastor. He was succeeded by Rev. J. Heritage, in December, 1871, who is still pastor. The church meets in the Coley Hill Schoolhouse. It has no church property. Number of members, thirty-eight.

Rock Creek Presbyterian Church. --- Organized April 20, 1870. A good stone church, in good repair, valued at $1,500. Number of members when organized, fifteen; present number of members, seventy. Whole number of members connected with the church since its organization, 171. Present Pastor, Rev. W. M. Pocock.

Hickory Creek Baptist Church. --- Organized March 12, 1876. Pastor, Rev. A. H. Petty. Number of members, eighteen. No church property.

There is a Methodist Church, or class, at Ottumwa, with a membership of nineteen; another in Key West Township, with a membership of seven; another in Hampden Township, with a membership of fifteen; another in Star Township, with a membership of five; another at Carters in Neosho Township, organized in 1858; another at Sunnyside, Avon Township, organized in 1876; another at Strawn, another at Glenwood, another at Waverly and another on Long Creek. The church at Sunnyside has an edifice, and the church at Waverly has a parsonage valued at $700. The Waverly church was organized in July, 1881, by Rev. H. J. Coker, the present pastor. There are also other Methodist classes in the county.

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - ROCK CREEK TOWNSHIP.

J. W. BIXLER, merchant, was born in Pike County, Illinois, October 21, 1858. In 1861 his parents moved to Kansas, and located in Lyon County, and remained there until 1867; moved to Ottawa, Franklin County, and lived there until 1871. He removed to Osage County, and located in Waverly, Coffey County, in October, 1882, and engaged in the mercantile business. He was married in Ottawa, Franklin County, in October, 1880, to Miss Josephine E. Frone, a native of New York; they have two children, Carrie A., and Sarah A.

ZENUS H. BROCK, clerk, was born in Scioto County, Ohio, in 1846, and lived in his native State about nine years. He moved with his parents to Illinois, and located in Edward County for four years, and then to Clay County for four years, and then to Fayette County for two years, and to Effingham County for ten years, and to Shelby County for three years. In 1878, he came to Kansas and located in Rock Creek Township, Coffey County. He has lived in Waverly about three years. He was engaged in farming and carpentering business until 1880, and has since been clerk in Hammonds dry good store. He was married in Effingham County, Ill., in 1867, to Miss Cynthia Ann Wright, a native of Indiana. They have one child - Schuyler C. Mr. Brock is a member of the Masonic Order, and of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and enlisted in 1864, in the One Hundred and Forty-third Illinois Regiment, and served 100 days, then he enlisted in the Seventh Illinois Cavalry, and served with that Regiment until the close of the war.

FULTON W. BROWN, farmer, Section 12, P. O. Waverly; was born in Augusta County, Va., in 1837, and lived in his native State until 1869, when he came to Kansas, and located in Rock Creek Township, Coffey County, two miles north of Waverly, and engaged in farming. Is also a carpenter. Mr. Brown was married in Virginia, in 1864, to Miss Mary A. White, a native of Virginia; they have seven children - Eugene F., Benjamin S., Edward B., Sidney B., Hugh H., Robert D., and Clarence. Mr. Brown is an elder in the Presbyterian Church.

JOHN J. CAMPBELL, merchant, was born in York County, Pa., in 1846, and removed with his parents to Hardin County, Ohio, at the age of six years, and lived there until January, 1879; in this month he came to Kansas, and located at Ottawa one year, and came to Waverly in 1880, and engaged in the hardware business when there were only two business houses in the town. He was married in Waverly, March 30, 1882, to Miss Lizzie J. Christy, a daughter of J. W. Christy, of Waverly.

ALFRED CARMAN, farmer, Section 13, P. O. Waverly; was born in Fayette County, Ohio, and moved with his parents to Indiana, at two years of age; lived in that State about twenty-four years; then moved to Tazewell County, Ill., and lived there about twenty years. He came to Kansas in the spring of 1881, and located in Rock Creek Township, Coffey County, and engaged in farming, near Waverly. Mr. Carman was married in Illinois, to Miss Mary J. McCoy, a native of Ohio; they have six children - Mary K., Martha E., Minnie E., Ruth M., Maria and Caleb K.

JOHN Q. CARMAIN, farmer, P. O. Waverly, was born in Indiana, 1846; remained in his native State twelve years, then went with his parents to Illinois; remained there twenty-two years, then came to Kansas, located in Coffey County, Rock Creek Township. Was married in Illinois, 1868, to Miss Victoria T. Baker, a native of Tennessee. He lost his wife in February, 1869; married again, 1871, to Miss Mary A. Been, a native of England. They have four children - Elva J., Malissa E., Alfred H. and Babe E. His father, Henry Carmain, was born in Maryland, 1790; he came to Ohio, 1818, remained in Ohio six years, then came to Indiana. He was married, 1829, to Miss Mary Wright, a native of Delaware.

HIRAM N. CLARK, P. O. Agricola, was born in Canada, in 1843, came to Illinois in 1850, came to Kansas in 1867, located in Douglas County in 1880, removed to Coffey County, locating on a farm in Rock Creek Township, near Waverly. Was married in Franklin County, Kan., in 1870, to Miss Eliza Shepard, a native of Wisconsin. They have two children - Walter and Werter. Enlisted in 1861 in Company F, Thirty-fourth Illinois Regiment, remained with this regiment two years, then re-enlisted in the same regiment as a veteran, remained until the close of the war.

HENRY A. CLUTE, farmer, P. O. Waverly, was born in Monroe County, N. Y., 1840, went to Michigan, 1844, came to Kansas, 1882, located at Waverly. Was married in Michigan, 1868, to Miss Florence Cossman, a native of Michigan; have seven children - Charles, Schuyler, Homer, George, Henry, Sidney and Eva G. Enlisted in Company H, Merills Cavelry, (sic) 1862; remained with this company until June, 1865; was on detached service, under Rosecrans. Is also a grain dealer at Waverly, Kan.

THOMAS DONNELL, real estate agent and attorney-at-law, was born in Pennsylvania in 1837, and lived in his native State until 1858, when he moved to Ohio and lived there a short time, then moved to Illinois. He remained in the latter State until 1868, then came to Kansas and located at Ottawa, where he remained two years. He removed to Osage County in 1870, and lived there until 1881, where he engaged in farming. He was afterward clerk of the District Court for Osage County and has been in the drug business since. He is now engaged in the real estate and land agency business in Waverly. Mr. Donnell was married in Warren County, Ill, in 1864, to Miss Margaret A. Foster, a native of Illinois. They have two children - John F., and Mary A. Mr. Donnell is a member of the Presbyterian Church.

LYMAN B. FLINT, farmer, P. O. Waverly, was born in Genesee County, N. Y., in 1816, remained in his native State twenty-three years. He then removed to Ohio, remained in this State six years, then moved to Illinois, remained there until 1864, then came to Kansas, located in Anderson County and remained there until 1880, then came to Coffey County and located in Rock Creek, near Waverly. Has been engaged in farming and stock-raising. He was married in New York in 1835, to Miss Huldah O. Lewis, a native of New York. Has seven children - Dellie J., Maryette F., Francis M., Annah D., Caroline M., Luey D. and Laura A. Belongs to the Christian Church. Mr. Flint came to Kansas in time of war and had to guard his house every night. He was one of the early settlers of Anderson County.

C. B. FORSYTHE, wagon-maker, was born in Pennsylvania in 1845, and lived in his native State about eighteen years. He then moved to Ohio, and lived in that State from 1852 to 1859; then returned to Pennsylvania and remained there ten years, and came to Kansas in 1869, locating in Lyndon, Osage County. There he remained about two years; then moved onto a farm, lived there a short time and returned to Pennsylvania; remained there four years, then returned to Kansas in 1877, and located on a farm in Osage County. He lived there four years, and came to Waverly, Coffey County, in the spring of 1882. Mr. Forsythe was married in Pennsylvania in 1877, to Miss Eva M. Coullin, a native of Pennsylvania. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church. Enlisted in 1864 in the One Hundredth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the war.

DAVID A. GORSUCH, farmer, P. O. Waverly, was born in Ohio in 1820; went to California in 1875, remained there six months then came to Kansas. Located in Franklin County near Ottawa in 1877; moved to Ohio in 1878; came to Kansas and located on a farm on Rock Creek, in Coffey County; has lived there since. He was married in Wayne County, Ohio, in 1842, to Miss Maria Kirnerer, a native of Ohio. They have five children - Eva, Thomas E., Henrietta, Temperance E. and W. E. Gorsuch. He has belonged to the Masonic Fraternity, and to the Disciples Church for many years. He is a large shipper of stock, and has a large vein of coal on his farm.

I. S. GREEN, farmer, P. O. Waverly, was born in New Jersey in 1830; went to Ohio in 1834; went to Illinois in 1861; came to Kansas in 1866; first located on a farm near Burlington, Coffey County, in 1876; moved to his farm in Rock Creek Township, Coffey County, near Waverly. Was married in Coffey County, Kansas, in 1867, to Mrs. Eliza A. Prout, a native of Iowa. They have six children - Rachel, Andrew J., Marion I., John D., Rebecca E. and Charles R. Enlisted in Company K, Sixty-second Regiment, Illinois Volunteers; remained with this regiment until 1865; was mustered out at Springfield, Ill.

J. W. HAMMOND, merchant, was born in Cedar County, Iowa, in 1848, and lived in his native State twenty-two years. He moved to Kansas in 1870, and located in Osage County, living in that county ten years. In the spring of 1880 he located in Waverly and engaged in general merchandising. Mr. Hammond was married in Osage County in 1870, to Miss Adelaide Sears, a native of Illinois. They have two children - Willard S. and Charles. Mr. Hammond was Postmaster at Lyndon, Osage County. He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity.

ISAAC N. HAYS, farmer, P. O. Waverly, was born in Pennsylvania in 1841; remained in his native State twenty-seven years; then came to Kansas and located in Douglas County; remained there until 1872, then moved to Harvey County, Kan.; remained there nine years, then came to Coffey County; located on a farm in Rock Creek Township, near Waverly; has engaged in farming and stock-growing. Was married in Pennsylvania in 1863, to Miss Satie A. Martin, a native of Pennsylvania. Has four children - Malburn H., Minnie, Cora E. and Oscar C.; belongs to the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Hayes enlisted September 1, 1861, in Company H, One Hundred and Second Infantry Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers; remained with this regiment one year; was mustered out at Harrison Landing, Va.; was in the Seven Days battle in front of Richmond.

ALEXANDER HUTCHISON, merchant, was born in Lee County, West Va., in 1819, and lived in his native State seven years. He then moved to Kentucky with his parents, and remained there until ten years of age, when his parents moved to Madison, Ind., and lived in that State until 1864; moved to Iowa and remained there three years; removed to Osage County, Kan., in 1879, and lived in that county until 1881; moved to Waverly, Coffey County, and engaged in the grocery business, and is also engaged in farming. He was married in Indiana, in 1840, to Miss Rachel Davidson, a native of Virginia. They have ten children - William, David, Mary J., Emily, Daniel, Angeletta, Joseph Jerome C., Malinda, Bathsuba, Eliza Ann. He is a member of the Christian Church.

W. T. HUTCHISON, farmer, P. O. Agricola, was born in Center County, Pa., in 1847. Came to Illinois in 1865; came to Kansas in 1870; located in Johnson County in 1878; came to Rock Creek Township, Coffey County; located on a farm near Agricola. Belongs to Grand Army of Republic. Was in State militia in Illinois, 1863.

ANDREW J. JAMES, farmer, Section 24, P. O. Waverly, was born in Montgomery County, Va., and at the age of five years moved with his parents to Rush County, Ind., and lived in that State until 1860; moved to Illinois, and lived in that State six years and came to Kansas in 1866. He located in Rock Creek Township, near Waverly, in Coffey County, and engaged in farming. Mr. James was married in Johnson County, Ind., in 1844, to Miss Sophia Cunningham, a native of Indiana. They have eight children - Joshua, David, John, George, William, Frank, Ephraim and Sarah. He has been Town Trustee and Town Treasurer, and was recently elected to the office of County Commissioner. He has been identified with the Republican party since 1860.

JOHN JAMES, farmer, P. O. Waverly, was born in Indiana in 1852; remained in his native State ten years, then went with his parents to Illinois; remained there seven years; then came to Kansas; located in Rock Creek, Coffey County; has been engaged in farming and stock-raising. He was married in Coffey County, Kan., in 1877, to Miss Maggie Pearson, a native of Indiana. They have two children - Nora and Myrtle. His wife belongs to the Christian Church.

JOHN W. JENNINGS, farmer, P. O. Agricola, was born in Iowa, in 1855. Came to Kansas in 1876, to Osage County in 1882; came to Coffey County; located on a farm in Rock Creek, near Waverly. He was married in Louisa County, Iowa, in 1877, to Miss S. V. Bemis, a native of Iowa. Has two children - Laura J. and E. May. He belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church.

JOSEPH H. KEMP was born in Montgomery County, Ohio, in 1853, and lived in his native State sixteen years. He moved to Illinois and lived in that State five years, then returned to Ohio, and remained there five years, and came to Kansas in 1879 and located in Franklin County. Here he remained until the fall of 1882, then located in Waverly, Coffey County, and engaged in the drug business there. Mr. Kemp was married in Ohio, in 1874, to Miss Anna Whitman, a native of Ohio. They have one child, Elsie.

JAMES LINDSEY, real estate agent, was born in the State of New York, in 1848, and lived in his native State five years. Moved with his parents to Michigan, and lived in that state about seventeen years, then came to Kansas in 1870, and located in Ottawa. Here he lived nine years, and moved to Waverly, Coffey County, in 1880, and engaged in farming. Subsequently he was for a time in the hardware business, and is now engaged in the real estate business and land agency. Mr. Lindsey was married in Ottawa, in 1874, to Miss Emma Martin, a native of Ohio. They have two children: Mary and Ella. He was one of the first settlers of Waverly.

WILLIAM MARRIOTT, farmer, P. O. Waverly, was born in England, in 1853. Came to the United States in 1874; located first in Illinois. Came to Kansas in 1877, located at Burlington, then moved same year to Rock Creek Township, Coffey County. He was married in 1878, to Miss Mary Turner, a native of Ohio. They have two children: Anna L. and Laura E. Belongs to Presbyterian Church; is Clerk of School District; has seventy-five head of Short-horn and Jersey cattle.

ALEXANDER MARTIN, farmer, P. O. Waverly, was born in Ireland in 1830; came to the United States in 1848, locating in New York. In 1850 came to Illinois; in 1873 came to Kansas and located on a farm near Waverly, Coffey County; has lived there since. He was married in New York in 1852, to Ann Clark, a native of Ireland; have three children: Fannie, William C., and Alexander. He was married again to Mrs. Mary A. Patterson, a native of Maryland, in Illinois, in 1862. They have five children: Erskin Marion, Jesse W., Eldridge Newton, Mary J. and Irilious Ira. Belongs to the Free Masons. When the civil war broke out he enlisted in Company A, Eighth Regiment Illinois Volunteers, for three years. He stayed with the regiment through the battles of Fort Donelson and Pittsburgh Landing. In the last named battle he was wounded and afterwards discharged for disability. In the winter of 1863 he re-enlisted in the Fourth Illinois Cavalry, Company M. He stayed with his company till February 21, 1864, when he received a wound in the right shoulder which crippled him for life.

GEORGE A. MASSIE, farmer, P. O. Waverly, was born in Ohio, in 1852; remained in his native State until 1876, then moved to Illinois; remained there until 1880, then came to Kansas. Located in Franklin County, near Ottawa; in 1881 came to Coffey County; located in Rock Creek Township near Waverly. Has been engaged in farming and stock raising. Was married in Ohio, in 1876, to Miss Mattie Ramsey, a native of Ohio; has two children - Laura M. and Harry A. Belongs to Christian Church. Mr. Massie has taught school eleven years; is a young man much esteemed.

WILLIAM C. MORRISON, farmer, P. O. Waverly, was born in Pennsylvania, in 1822. Went to New York in 1842; went to Pennsylvania in 1847; went to New York in 1850; went to Wisconsin in 1856; went to Minnesota in 1859; went to New York in 1861; went to California in 1862; went to New York in 1864; went to Illinois in 1865; went to Michigan in 1876; went back to Illinois, and came to Kansas in 1867. In 1870 went to Coffey County and located on a farm near Waverly. He was married in Warren County, Pa., in 1844, to Miss Esther Stoddard, a native of New York. Enlisted in Company C, Ninth Regiment Volunteer Cavalry; remained with this company one year. Is a member of the Free Masons, also of the Odd Fellows.

J. A. NASH, restaurant, (sic) was born in Erie County, Pa., in 1835, and lived in his native State forty-three years. He moved to Kansas in 1878, and located in Rock Creek Township, Coffey County, where he engaged in farming. Is now located in Waverly and engaged in the restaurant business. He was married in Erie County, Pa., in 1856, to Miss Martha A. Lilley, a native of New York. They have two children, Calley M. and Robert. Mr. Nash is a Justice of the Peace, and has been a Constable, and is a member of the Masonic order.

J. G. PAINTER, farmer, P. O. Waverly, was born in Morrow County, Ohio, in 1847, and lived in his native State until 1878. Came to Kansas and located near Waverly, on a farm, and engaged in farming and stock-raising, also buying and shipping grain, hogs and cattle. He was married in Ohio, in 1869, to Miss Phoebe Jaggers, a native of Ohio. They have two children, Georgiana L. and Charley E. Mr. Painter is raising the Berkshire and Poland-China hogs.

ISAAC PEARSON, farmer, P. O. Waverly, was born in Ohio, 1826. Came to Indiana, 1847. Came to Kansas, 1868; located first in Franklin County. In 1871, came to Coffey County, located on a farm in Rock Creek, near Waverly. He was married to Miss Rebecca Holloway, a native of Indiana, in 1849. They have six children - Francis, Hulda, Mariette, Margaret N., Sarah, Lydia A. He belongs to the Christian Church.

C. A. PHILLIPS, druggist, was born in Chautauqua County, N. Y., in 1854, and lived in his native State until 1868. Then he removed to Pennsylvania, and lived there until 1875. Moved to Tennessee, and remained in that State until 1881, when he came to Kansas, and located at Waverly, Coffey County, and engaged in the drug business. Mr. Phillips was married in Indiana, in 1881, to Miss Lizzie Webster, a native of Indiana. They have one child, an infant.

JESSE ROGERS, farmer, P. O. Waverly, was born in New York, 1817. In 1843 moved to Ohio; 1845, moved to Michigan; 1870, came to Kansas; located on a farm in Rock Creek, Coffey County; has lived there since. Was married in Rushford Co., N. Y., 1839, to Miss Mary A. Bates, a native of New York. They have six children - Lucenna, Sarah, Thomas A., Clara, Edgar and Ida. Was married again in Michigan, 1872, to Mrs. Rena Cole. He belongs to the Presbyterian Church. Enlisted in Company A, Twelfth Regiment Michigan Volunteers. Served with this regiment two years and eight months, and was honorably discharged.

JOHN L. SENIOR, banker, was born in Montgomery, Orange Co., New York, in 1854, and lived in his native State twenty-five years. He came to Kansas in July, 1880, and located at Waverly, and engaged in the practice of law. Mr. Senior studied law in New York State and was admitted to practice in the courts of New York in 1880. He is now engaged in the banking business in Waverly, Coffey County. He is a single man and was educated at Rutgers College at New Brunswick, New Jersey, and graduated from that institution in 1878. Is a member of the Presbyterian Church in Waverly. Mr. Senior is a member of the banking firm of Fisher & Senior.

JOHN F. STARK, contractor, was born in Charlestown, West Virginia, and lived in that State until 1854, then moved to Covington, Kentucky, remained there a short time, returned to Virginia, and in 1861 engaged in the Quartermasters Department in the army and remained in that department until 1865; was engaged in selling goods and farming in West Virginia until 1875, when he moved to Iowa and remained there one year. He came to Kansas in the spring of 1876 and located in Johnson County for two years; then lived in McPherson County two years; and moved to Waverly, Coffey County, in 1880, and engaged in contracting and building. Mr. Stark was married in West Virginia in 1863 to Miss Martha E. Peeples, a native of Virginia; they have four children - Maude, Harry, Clyde, and Claribel. Mr. Stark is a member of the Knights of Honor, and of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

H. A. SUNDAY, hotelkeeper, was born in Ashland County, Ohio, in 1833, and lived in his native State until 1860. He then moved to Illinois and lived in DeWitt County for five years, returned to Ohio in 1865 and lived in Ashland and Williams counties until he came to Kansas in May, 1881, and located in Waverly, Coffey County, and engaged in merchandising. He sold out his business in October, 1882, and built a large hotel. He is now proprietor of the Waverly Hotel. Mr. Sunday was married in Ohio in 1855 to Miss Mary Staffer, a native of Ohio. They have three children - Arthur J., Flora M. and Blanche D. Mr. Sunday is a member of the Masonic Order and is identified with the Democratic party.

A. N. SYLVESTER, was born in Dearborn County, Ind., in 1832, lived in his native State till 1852, then went to California, returned to Minnesota in 1859, left Minnesota in 1860; went to Colorado the same year, stayed there till the fall of 1862; enlisted in the Second Cavalry Volunteers, served in the army till February 1, 1865; was mustered out, came to Johnson County, Kansas, and was married to Miss Eliza J. Williams; was engaged in farming for three years; went to Kansas City and clerked for three years; returned to Olathe and went to merchandising; was in that business for ten years then moved to Waverly, Coffey Co., Kan., and engaged in the merchantile (sic) business. His first wife was born in Kentucky; they had one child, David B. After the death of his first wife was married to Mrs. Emma Bonebrake, a native of Pennsylvania. Was the first Postmaster at Waverly, and a member of the I. O. O. F.

DAVID C. THAROMAN, farmer, P. O. Agricola, was born in Adams County, Ohio, 1834, moved to Kentucky 1858, came to Kansas 1871, first located on a farm in Osage County 1874, came to Coffey County, located on a farm in Rock Creek Township near Agricola; was married in Lewis County, Ky., 1861, to Miss Catherine Murphy, a native of Kentucky; they have three children - Samuel W., Sarah F., and John T. Was married again in Kentucky, 1867, to Rebecca Murphy, a native of Kentucky; have six children - Elmer C., Mary G., Albert M., James A., Eliza J., and Clyde A.; belongs to Methodist Episcopal Church. Enlisted in Company E Twenty-second Regiment Kentucky Volunteers, remained with this Company two years, was in the battles of Champion Hill, Black River Bridge; was First Lieutenant.

DR. E. TILTON, now engaged in farming near Waverly, Kansas, was born in Knox County, Ohio, January 13, 1822, remained in his native State seventeen years, and then went to Indiana, where he studied medicine with Dr. Curry, of Lockport, Cass County, and Dr. Jerolamin, of Logansport; commenced the practice of medicine in White County, and then went to Illinois and practiced medicine at Howards Point and in the vicinity of Vandalia, Fayette County, and then located in Teutopolis, Effingham County, his practice in the two counties running over a period of about five years. Then made a trip to California and returned home at the end of the year 1850, by way of the Isthmus of Panama and New Orleans. Having resided in Effingham County six years, moved back to Fayette County, remained there about four years, then moved to Rice County, Minn., remained two years and then moved to Iowa, remained there about four years, and came to Kansas, located on a farm in Miami County and remained there sixteen years, then came to Coffey County and located on a farm in Rock Creek Township, near Waverly, where he is engaged in farming and stock raising. He was married in Illinois in 1848, to Rovilla Griffith, a native of New York; has seven children - Winfield S., Mary L., Albert W., William E., Emma M., Allin J., and Sherman J. Belongs to the Baptist Church.

THOMAS W. TRUITT, farmer, P. O. Agricola, was born in Kentucky in 1839, moved to Illinois in 1865, came to Kansas in 1869, was married in Kentucky in 1862 to Miss Priscilla Waring, a native of Kentucky. They have seven children - Rebecca, Millie, Richard, Frank, Alice, Mary and Hattie. Belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church of Agricola.

WALTER M. TUTTLE, blacksmith, was born in the State of New York in 1857, and lived in his native State twenty-four years. He came to Kansas in February, 1882, and located in Waverly, Coffey County, and engaged in the blacksmith business. Mr. Tuttle was married in New York in 1879, to Miss Anna T. Shoonmaker, a native of New York. They have one child, Mary B. Mr. Tuttle is an active, enterprising young man, and a good blacksmith.

DR. CHARLES VAN ORMAN was born in Medina County, Ohio, in 1839, and lived in his native State ten years. He moved to Baraboo County, Wis., and lived there ten years, then moved to Illinois and remained there from 1859 to 1861, and enlisted in the Thirty-fifth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served three years with that regiment. Afterward he joined the One Hundred and Forty-eighth Illinois Regiment and served till the close of the war. He located in Missouri in the fall of 1865, and lived in that State from 1865 to 1878. Returned to Illinois and remained two years, and came to Kansas in 1881 and located in Waverly and engaged in the practice of medicine. He was educated in medicine in the Ohio Medical College and the American Medical College of St. Louis, and has been engaged in the practice of medicine since 1861. Dr. Van Orman was married in Pana, Illinois, in 1864, to Miss M. J. Patton, a native of Pennsylvania. They have four children - Charles E., William M., Marion and Joseph. Dr. Van Orman is a member of the Masonic fraternity and the I. O. O. F., and is a member of the Presbyterian Church.

JAMES F. WHITE, farmer, Section 12, P. O. Waverly, was born in Virginia in 1844, and lived in his native State until he was twenty-two years of age. He then moved to Missouri and lived there two years, and came to Kansas in 1869, locating in Rock Creek Township, Coffey County, where he is engaged in farming, two miles north of Waverly. He is also engaged in raising Poland- China hogs. Mr. White is a member of the Presbyterian Church.

JOHN C. WHITE, farmer, P. O. Agricola, was born in Virginia in 1837; went to California in 1856; came back to Virginia in 1861; came to Kansas in 1877; located on a farm in Rock Creek, Coffey County; was married in Virginia, in 1865 to Miss Martha S. Parmel, a native of Virginia. They have two children - Nettie J. and Charles B. Married again in Rock Creek, Coffey Co., Kan., in 1877, to Miss Serepta Treweit, a native of Illinois; have two children - Willie W. and Carrie M.; belongs to the Methodist Church. Enlisted in Company I, First Regiment United States Regular Cavalry; served with this regiment five years; was wounded twice; served under Geo. B. McClellan, Hooker and Burnside.

THOMAS WILLIAMS, farmer, P. O. Waverly, was born in Lycoming County, Penn., in 1834; moved to Ohio in 1835; went to Indiana in 1838; came to Kansas in 1874; located first at Burlington, Coffey County, in 1876; moved to Rock Creek Township; located on a farm near Waverly. He was married May 14, 1857, to Miss Eliza J. Shafir, in Indiana; have nine children - William B., Amisa J., John C. E., Sarah A., Martha B., Charles M., Maud E., Dora J., and Cora A.; belongs to Odd Fellows; wife belongs to Presbyterian Church.

EDMUND WRIGHT, farmer, Section 24, P. O. Waverly, was born in Cayuga County, N. Y., in 1822, and lived in his native State twelve years. Removed to Ohio, and located in Morrow County, living there until 1878, when he came to Kansas and located in Rock Creek Township, Coffey County, near Waverly; here he has been engaged in farming and stock-raising, and in raising hogs, cattle and horses. Mr. Wright was married in Ohio, in 1844, to Miss Elizabeth Harden, a native of Ohio. They have one child - Zoe.

[TOC] [part 13] [part 11] [Cutler's History]