|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (McCLAIN - RODGERS).
JOHN M. McCLAIN, of firm of Atchinson & McClain, clothiers, was born in Indiana in 1845; he began teaching school at the age of twenty-one, and taught four years, coming to Kansas in 1873, and living on a farm seven years. He located in Columbus in 1881, and began the clothing business, taking Mr. Atchinson in as partner in July, 1881. He is a member of Cumberland Presbyterian Church; member of the Board of Education, and of A., F. &. A. M., and K. of H; he was married to Miss Artie C. Hunt, of Indiana, in 1872. They have three children-Ethel, Arthello and Shirley.
J. H. McCLURE, farmer, Section 10, P. 0. Columbus, was born in Illinois July 26, 1835; he began farming for himself in Illinois at the age of eighteen, and continued until 1869, at which time he came to Kansas and bought and improved 120 acres of land. He operated a portion of it for a grain and stock farm. Mr. McClure was married to Miss Elizabeth Sherman, of Kentucky, in 1859. They have six children-C. Adelaide, Martha Ann Iona, Joice Zoroa, Henry Roaster, James Franklin and Charles.
JAMES FRANKLIN McDOWELL, editor of the News, was born April 11, 1943, in Montgomery County, Ind. His education was obtained mainly at the common schools, and his life was spent on a farm until 1861. On the 21st of August of that year, he enlisted as a private soldier in Company G, Twenty-sixth Indiana Infantry, and served until January 11, 1866. During a portion of this time he served as clerk at regimental headquarters, in the Adjutant General's Department, Quartermaster's Department, and in the Freedmen's Bureau. After leaving the army he came to Kansas, arriving in Cherokee County October 5,1866; engaged in farming until 1869, when he came to Columbus and assisted in establishing the Working Man's Journal, the first paper published in the town. Was appointed Probate Judge to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of Amos Sanford, continuing his connection with the Journal; in 1871, became business manager of that paper, and in the winter of 1871-72, purchased it in partnership with C. D. Nichols. In July, 1872, resigned the office of Probate Judge and became sole proprietor of the Journal; sold the paper September 1, 1874, and about the 1st of October, established the Courier, publishing this paper until the spring of 1876, when he sold it to S. O. McDowell, and removed to Illinois. In June, 1877, he returned to Kansas and became editor of the Galena Miner, then published by McDowell & Lea. In February, 1878, in company with A. W. McDowell, purchased the Galena Miner, and continued its publication until October of the same year, when he sold his interest and established the Times at Baxter Springs. In August, 1880, having purchase the Border Star at Columbus, he removed The Times to that city, and continued its publication until October 1, 1882, when the paper was sold to a joint stock company. On the 14th of December, 1882, started the weekly News, which he still publishes. In these newspapers Mr. McDowell favored Independent Reform until 1876, when he espoused the Greenback cause, which he has since advocated. An original Republican, he adhered to that party until 1868, when just after the election of Gen. Grant to the Presidency of the United States, he joined the liberal element of the Republican party, and supported Horace Greeley for the Presidency in 1872. He has always sympathized with the laboring classes, and opposed giving away the public lands to corporations, and maintains strong ground in favor of prohibition, Female Suffrage, and is inclined to Free Trade. He was married Miss Mattie E. Hall, of Columbus, Kan., daughter of Joseph T. and Mary L. Hall, March 26, 1870. Mrs. McDowell is a granddaughter of Andrew Stuart, of Pennsylvania, widely known in his day, as "Tariff Andy." Mr. and Mrs. McDowell have had five children, three boys and two girls; only the girls-Carrie, Edna and Pearl Orpha, are living. Mr. McDowell's great-grandfather was the James McDowell who was a companion of Simon Kenton in the early settlement of Kentucky.
S. O. McDOWELL, Mayor, editor and proprietor of the Columbus Courier, was born in Tippecanoe County, Ind., March 3, 1848. He received a collegial education at Stockwell Collegiate Institute, and commenced teaching at the age of eighteen years in Indiana. After teaching there two years, he removed to Columbus, Kan., and in 1870 was appointed Postmaster, holding the office until 1878. He had commenced the publishing business in 1876, and after 1878, turned his entire attention to the newspaper and publishing business, in which he is still engaged. He was elected to the office of Mayor in 1879, and re-elected in 1880-1881 and 1882. He is a member of the A. O. U. W., I. O. O. F., K. of P. and the G. A. R. In 1863, at the age of fifteen, he joined the army, and served about twenty months as a private in Company M, Eleventh Indiana Cavalry, being discharged May 9, 1865, on account of the loss of his left arm. He was married to Miss Birdie McKinsey, of Clark's Hill, Ind., in 1869, and has one child-Maude.
CHARLES McREYNOLDS, farmer, Section 26, P. 0. Columbus, was born in Kentucky March 2, 1842, was raised on a farm, and received business education. At the age of nineteen he began farming in Indiana, which he continued until 1871. He then came to Kansas and located in Cherokee County on Section 25, where he improved a farm of 160 acres, and lived on it four years, when he sold it and bought in Section 23, and improved and sold it, and bought 120 acres on Section 24. This he has improved, and is now running it as a stock and grain farm, having also a good assortment of fruits and berries of all kinds. He bought and improved forty acres in Section 18, Crawford Township. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and I. O. O. F. He was married to Miss Rachel Davis, of Indiana, December 28, 1860, and has four children living-Elizabeth R., William Wesley, Isaac R. (adopted), Annie A., Charles, Maudie, deceased.
WILLIAM McWILSON, farmer, P. 0. Columbus, was born in Ohio, October 14, 1832. At the age of fourteen he was apprenticed to a blacksmith of Newcastle, Pennsylvania, for three years. He then did journeyman work for three years, next going to Ohio, where he was engaged in business for four years. In 1862 he enlisted in army, mustering out in 1865; lived in Iowa one year, then went to Kansas in 1866, and located on Cherry Creek, and worked at blacksmithing one year. He then went back to Iowa, remaining one year and returning to Columbus, Cherokee County, 1869; opened blacksmith shop, and run it until 1876. Then he began farming; bought and improved one farm; sold out and bought and improved another within two-and-a-half miles of Columbus, which he still owns, raising stock and grain. He owns residence in the town of Columbus, and is a member of the Christian Church; also of Odd Fellows. Was married to Miss Susan Billips, of Iowa, in 1852. They have one daughter living-Laura. He has nice city home and pleasant country residence.
JOHN G. MASTERS, farmer, Section 21, P. 0. Columbus, was born in Boone County, Ky., March 14, 1838. He received a common school education, and began farming for himself at the age of twenty, which occupation he continued in Illinois until 1871. He then came to Kansas and settled on present farm of 160 acres, which he bought and improved. He is now raising grain, stock and fruit, having 1,000 fruit trees on his farm. He also owns eighty improved acres in Section 28. He has been Clerk of Schools, and is a member of the Christian Church. He was married to Miss M. J. Williams, of Illinois, in 1857. They have five children- Sarah C., James M., John H., William M. and Bell E.
J. C. MENDENHALL, dealer in drugs and paints, was born in Iowa October 8, 1861. He began drug business in Columbus, Kan., at the age of nineteen, having visited the place in Kansas in 1872, and been engaged as clerk in the drug business in Kansas from 1872 to 1880. He was married to Miss Edith Hicks, of Columbus, in 1881.
BRUCE MILLER, Probate Judge, was born in Harrison County, Ind., February 22, 1840. He received a liberal education, and at the of nineteen began serving an apprenticeship at the carpenter's trade, which he abandoned (after working at it two years ), on account of ill-health. He was then employed in the Auditor's office in Indiana, remaining in that position until 1868, at which time he came to Kansas and located at Baxter Springs. He again worked a short time at the carpenter's trade, and then went to Columbus and served as Deputy Sheriff until 1871, when he was elected Clerk of the District Court, and served two years. He was then again appointed Deputy Sheriff, and after serving about two years, was made Deputy Register of Deeds, holding that office two years. He was then Deputy County Clerk eighteen months, and was elected Probate Judge in 1880 for two years' term, which expired January, 1883. Judge Miller is a large and successful mine-owner and operator, owning twenty acres of mining land half a mile south of Galena, and also an interest in a crusher on the Maggie Taylor grounds. He also owns a large interest in town lots, and in 160 acres of leased land near Joplin, Mo., and which is now being worked. He has a fifth interest in eighty acres in deeded land in Carterville, a fifth interest in 160 acres of leased land near Carterville, and a fifth interest in forty acres in Newton County, Mo., all of which are mining lands. He also owns a residence and other property in Columbus, and lots in Baxter Springs. He studied law, and was admitted to the district and inferior courts in 1882. He was married to Miss Annie Wilson, of Illinois, February 15, 1872. Have three children- Jessie, Mabel and Blanch.
REV. DANIEL MONTIETH MOORE, Presbyterian minister, was born in Mahoning County, Ohio, January 3, 1824. He received a collegiate education, graduating in 1846, at Duqunsne College, Pittsburgh, Penn. In 1849, he graduated at Lane's Theological Seminary, at Cincinnati, Ohio. He became a member of the Presbytery of Ripley in September, 1850, and preached in Brown County, Ohio, for two years. He was pastor of the Second Presbyterian Church at Greenfield, Ohio, for twelve years. Then accepted a call to the Presbyterian Church at Yellow Springs, where he remained four years. In 1868, he accepted a call to the Presbyterian Church at Lawrence, Kan., and resided in that city nearly six years. In 1874, he accepted a call to the Presbyterian Church at Hutchinson, Kan., where his successful pastorate continued seven years. He was at Carthage, Ill., one year, and was invited to the Presbyterian Church of Columbus, Kan., in March, 1882. He was an organic member of the Presbyterian Synod of Kansas, organized in 1870, and was chosen moderator of that synod in 1874. He was married to Miss Mary Ann Ellison, of Manchester, Ohio, in 1851, and has three children-Mary E., wife of E. L. Meyer, Hutchinson, Kan.; William E. and Edward M., of Peru, III.
JOSEPH A. MURRAY, general merchant, was born in Indiana, in 1840. At the age of twenty-one, he began teaching school, and continued in that occupation several years. He was then Superintendent of Schools in Pike County, Ind., three years, and taught in the Normal school three years, and in the High School in Davis County one year. He then came to Kansas, and engaged in the ministry two years, and was then Superintendent of Schools two years, in 1873-74. Then engaged in mercantile business until 1877, when he spent a year in Illinois, engaged in preaching. He returned to Kansas in 1878, and has been in mercantile business since that time. He has been largely instrumental in organizing schools and churches, and has a large interest in real estate in Columbus and Cherokee County. He was Married to R. J. Rivers, of Washington, Ind., in 1862, by whom he had five children. His wife died in June, 1876. He was married to Miss Nancy S. Howerton, of Missouri, in 1878. They have one child-Minnie A.
JUDGE CHARLES D. NICHOLS, was born in Calhoun County, Mich., October 6, 1842. When but eight years of age his parents removed to Erie County, Penn., and soon after to what is now known as Brocton, Chautauqua County, N. Y. In 1855, at the age of thirteen years, his parents located near Waupun, in Dodge County, Wis. He received a liberal common school education, and at the outbreak of the rebellion, of 1861-65, was apprenticed to learn wagon and carriage making. When the first call for troops was made by President Lincoln, he identified himself with the Waupun Light Guards or Militia Company, which tendered their services to the Governor of Wisconsin. After acceptance they became Company D, of the Third Wisconsin Volunteers, with which company he remained until his discharge July 1 1864, participating with them in many of the more important engagements of the rebellion. On his return from the army, ascertaining that his health had been so impaired by the exposures incident to the war, he determined to fit himself for a business life, and took a year's preparatory course in, and afterward graduated from the Eastman National Business College at Chicago. In 1869, he came to Kansas with a view to location, and took a claim in Crawford County. In 1870, he moved to Columbus, where he now resides. Soon after locating at this point he became connected with the Workingman's Journal, as local editor, and afterward as half owner and publisher. During this time he began the study of law under the tutorship of Amos Sanford, with the view of making the practice of law his profession. In 1872, having disposed of his interest in the Journal, he made a visit to his former home, and while there was appointed by the Governor Probate Judge of Cherokee County. Returning at once, he immediately entered upon the duties of his office, to which he was appointed three times in succession. The lead excitement breaking out meanwhile, he entered actively into the development of the mining interests of the county. In 1880, he received the appointment of Deputy Clerk of the county, which position he held until 1882, when he removed a co-partnership formed in 1879, and began the business of real estate and loan broker, as the junior member of the firm of Caldwell & Co. He is a prominent member of the Masonic fraternity, and is at present Secretary of the R. A. Chapter in this city. In July, 1880, he was selected Colonel of the Second Regiment of the Border Tier Brigade, G. A. R. and Veterans. In January, 1883, he received an appointment on the staff of the Department Commander of the State G. A. R. Judge Nichols was married, in 1866, to Miss Georgie L. Nudd, of Waupun, Wis. They have one child, Elmer C. Nichols.
LOT P. PATTY, M. D., was born in Dayton, Montgomery County, Ohio, January 28, 1821. His parents dying when he was only ten years of age, he was left on his own resources, and we find him at the age of eighteen an unaided but by his own exertions, taking up the study of his profession under the preceptorship of Doctor Lindsey, of Ohio, and later attending lectures at the Ohio Medical College of Cincinnati, from which he graduated in 1842. He then began the practice of his profession in Miami County, Ohio, and after a few years of active practice, he traveled through the western country and finally located in Huntington County, Ind., where he remained until 1848. He then made an extensive trip through the western States and eventually located at Fort Des Moines, Iowa, where he followed his profession for a few years, after which he located in St. Louis, and continued the practice of his profession until 1854. He then came to Kansas and located at Leavenworth, where he practiced about three years. During this time the State was agitated politically, and Dr. Patty took an active part with the Anti-Slavery Democrats, but being unable to organize that party he allied himself with the Free-State party, which he subsequently represented in the Kansas Legislature, known as the Topeka Constitution, and here began the troubles that tested the true nobility of his manhood. For this be was persecuted, his house was fired into, his life threatened, and he was for the time being compelled to leave his adopted State. He immediately repaired to his native State and interested many in behalf of the principles he had espoused, and formed a body of men prepared for the consequences, returning here. He was, however, unmolested upon his return, and in the winter of 1856-57 he located in Topeka and continued the practice of his profession until 1867. In 1868 he located here and has been very reputedably and successfully connected with the practice of his profession since, and an avowed supporter of the party that has made his adopted State what it is to-day. He is a liberal supporter of all organizations that have for their object the elevation of the standard of morals of society. Latterly Dr. Patty has retired from active practice and is devoting his attention to dairy farming. He was married in Huntington, Ind., to Miss Sarah Jane Dortch, a native of Tennessee but descendant of a Virginia family. They have a family of three daughters living, Blanche A., widow of the late L. F. H. Williams; Ann E., now Mrs. John N. Ritter, of Columbus, and Nellie May. Blanche A. Williams belongs to the Christian Church, Mrs. Ritter and Nellie May belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church.
ELISHA PERKINS, farmer, Section 33, P. 0. Columbus, was born in Indiana April 16, 1832. He received a business education while living on the farm, and at the age of twenty-one began farming in Indiana, remaining in that State until 1873, when he came to Cherokee County, Kansas, and located in Sheridan Township, on a farm of 160 acres, which be improved and ran as a grain and stock farm. After three years he sold out, went to Salamanca Township, where he took a farm of 320 acres, which he improved and is now running as a grain and stock farm. Has also a full line of all kinds of fruits. In August, 1882, Mr . Perkins moved to Columbus, where he owns property and houses and lots, and has since been looking after his personal business. He is a member of the Christian Church, and was married to Miss Zerelda Gates, of Indiana, in 1852. They have ten children living- Harriette, Ellen, Mark, Rachel, William, Nancy, Louisa, Sallie, Elisha; Orlena, deceased.
LEWIS PRILL, grain dealer, was born in Bavaria, Germany, 1836, and came to America in 1852. After spending a few years in the East he came West and engaged at merchandising in Illinois, as clerk till 1859, when be went to Colorado and engaged at mining and merchandising which he successfully carried on for seven years. In 1866 he located in Fort Scott, Kansas, and carried on grocery business till 1873, when he came here and has been engaged in his present industry since. In 874 he married Miss Mattie Hill, a native of Illinois. They have one little girl, Fannie Bertha. Mr. Prill has worked actively in developing this point as a grain market. He has a large steam elevator in connection with his business on the K. C., Ft. S. & G. R. R., 80x28, with a capacity of holding 40,000 bushels of corn, and a sheller run in connection, capable of shelling 8,000 bushels of corn in a day, also an elevator on the St. L. & S. F. R. R., 75x18, with a capacity of holding 10,000 bushels of corn. He also carries on a farm of 240 acres in Pleasant View Township, well improved and containing about 1500 fruit trees of different kinds.
HORACE C. PURSEL, Probate Judge elect, was born in Pennsylvania in 1830. He was raised on a farm and learned the trade of blacksmith, which he followed a short time and then went to Minnesota on a government survey two years. He then was in Michigan one year, and subsequently in Omaha and Council Bluffs. He came to Kansas in the fall of 1857, and resided in Atchison County, engaged in mercantile business for nine years. In 1867-68 and 1869 he was in Alabama in cotton business, and returned to Kansas, and located in Cherokee County, in the winter of 1870, where he was engaged in general merchandise business for three years. He was elected Police Judge and Justice of the Peace in 1874, and was elected Probate Judge in 1879 for two years, being re-elected to the latter office November 7, 1882, for two years. He was United States Commissioner for the district of Kansas two years, and was the first Postmaster at Muscotah, Kansas. He is Secretary of Cherokee County Agricultural and Stock Association.
JEHIEL RAILSBACK, attorney, was born in Wayne County, Ind., November 22, 1833. He received a classical education, graduated from the law department of Asbury University of Indiana, in 1855. After graduating, he began practice at Richmond, Ind. and continued until 1879, excepting three years, during which time he was engaged in cotton planting in Mississippi and was also interested in politics; was a delegate in the Mississippi Constitutional Convention that met in Jackson, January, 1868, under the reconstruction laws in that State. In 1868, he was nominated for Congress in the Second Mississippi Congressional District. In 1879, he came to Columbus, Cherokee County, Kansas and resumed the practice of law. He has since bought and sold considerable real estate. He loans money on real estate and personal property. He was prosecuting attorney in Wayne County, Ind., two years. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and A. O. U. W. In 1872 he married Miss Anna Rebecca Jackson, of Dublin, Ireland.
JOHN A. RATCLIFF, farmer, Section 23, P. O. Columbus, was born in Ohio, June 10, 1839. He received a common school education, and began farming in Indiana at the age of twenty-one, in which he continued ten years. He came to Kansas in 1872, and located where he now resides, buying 240 acres of land, of which 180 are now in cultivation. Raises stock, grain and all kinds of fruits, and also owns forty acres in Crawford Township. He was elected Township Treasurer of Salamanca Township. Is member of Methodist Episcopal Church, and is class leader in same. Is Odd Fellow. He was married to Miss Elizabeth Davis, of Indiana, in 1860. They have three children, Martha E., Essa M., Mary A. and Charles W., deceased.
GEORGE W. READ, farmer, Section 2, P. O. Columbus, was born in Illinois July 16, 1842. He was left an orphan at the age of fifteen, and worked on a farm until 1865, and then enlisted in the United States service, and there remained until the war closed and honorably discharged, and was then traveling one year with a patent medicine. He farmed during 1867-68, and came to Kansas in 1869, and settled on his present farm of 160 acres, which he improved and is running as a stock and grain farm. Mr. Read has a good line of fruits on his farm. He is a member of the Christian Church. He was married to Miss Sarah A. Spears, of Illinois, March 23, 1869. They have three children- Laura A., Nellie G., Freddie A., Ira I. (deceased), George R. (deceased), Minnie Q. (deceased), and Forest and Narsissie (twins, deceased).
CHARLES REINHARDT, meat market, was born in Europe in 1847. He came to the United States in 1868, and located in Iowa, whence he moved to Bellville, Ill., and was in the butcher business in that State nine years. He then came to Columbus, Kan., and opened his present business. Mr. Reinhardt owns fine city and county property, and also mining interests in Joplin, Mo., and in Carterville, Mo. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and K. of P. He was married to Miss Emma Stillman of Illinois, in 1876. They have three children- Phillip, Alma and Pearl.
REV. A. G. ROBB, a Methodist minister, was born in Belmont County, Ohio, June 10, 1848. He received an academic education. Between the ages of sixteen and twenty-three, he taught school, in the meantime reading law. At the age of twenty-two he joined the M. E. Church. At the age of twenty-two, he entered a traveling connection in Ohio. During Pittsburg Conference he served at Belmont, Clarington, Ohio. In 1876, fell in East Ohio Conference and went to Sumerton, Ohio, for three years. He went to Kansas in September, 1880, was at Neodesha eighteen months, and in March, 1882, went to Columbus. At Neodesha he received 139 converts into the church, paid the church debt of $1636, which has been running nine years, built a new church costing $1,250, and, finally free of debt, dedicated it. He is Odd Fellow, member of School Board, and Examiner of city schools.
WILLIAM H. RODGERS, farmer, Section 8, P. O. Cherry, was born in Iowa in 1852. In 1871, he came to Kansas, and, locating at his present home in Cherokee County, he engaged in farming. He has a well improved stock and grain farm of eighty acres. In 1875, he was married to Miss Nancy Wills, of Iowa, and has three children- Frances, Willie and Olonzo.