|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
SAMUEL BAKER, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 19, Range 21, Township 8, P. O. Bazaar, was born in Templeton, Mass., September 1, 1829. When he was three years old, his parents removed to Niagara County, N. Y., where he was brought up on a farm. After attaining his majority, he engaged in farming, and in 1852, removed to Ogle County, Ill., and there engaged in farming. In the summer of 1856, he came to Kansas on a tour of observation. Being an outspoken champion of freedom and in favor of making Kansas a Free State, he took an active part in the agitation of the times, and was with Capt. Cutlers party at Hickory Point. He was wounded in the leg by a rifle ball in that action and taken prisoner by the United States troops, acting under orders of Gov. Geary, but was at once released on account of his wounds. He soon after returned to his home in Illinois and there remained until the fall of 1866, when he came to Kansas. He located in Bazaar Township and bought a claim of 160 acres of land situated on the South Fork of the Cottonwood River, which he entered under the Homestead Act. He has since purchased additional land and now has a farm of 440 acres of land, upon which he has placed valuable improvements including a commodious frame dwelling, a good stone barn, corn cribs and other farm buildings. He also has 160 acres of grazing land one and one-half miles west of the home farm. He has about 200 acres under cultivation. His principal crops are corn, oats and millet. His herd of cattle numbering over 200 head is composed principally of high grade stock. He also raises many hogs and some horses and sheep. Mr. Baker is a stockholder and Director in the Chase County National Bank. He has been a member of the Board of County Commissioners of Chase County two terms and has held several township offices. He is a member of the Baptist Church. He married Miss Joanna Gould, of Ogle County, Ill., October 8, 1871. She died October 26, 1881, after bearing him two children, of whom Edith is now living.
GEORGE W. BOCOOK, M. D., Matfield Green, was born in Lawrence County, Ky., August 7, 1837. He was educated in his native State, and before attaining his majority, began the study of medicine with Dr. E. W. Burnham of Olive Hill, Ky. In September, 1861, he enlisted as a Sergeant in Company D, Twenty-second Regiment, Kentucky Volunteers. Was assigned to the army of the Ohio, and participated in the battles of Pound Gap, Cumberland Gap, Tazewell and the siege of Vicksburg. The Regiment was then transferred to the Department of the Gulf; but before the campaign had fairly begun, Dr. Bocook was discharged on account of ill health. He then returned to Olive Hill and resumed the study of medicine, and completed his studies at Louisville, Ky. He then attended the Cincinnati Eclectic College of Medicine and Surgery, from which he graduated in 1868. He then began the practice of medicine at Morehead, Rowan Co., Ky., continuing one year, and in the fall of 1869 he came to Kansas. Located at Marysville, Marshall County, where he remained about five years, engaged in the practice of his profession and also in farming. He then removed to Augusta, Butler County, where he followed his profession until the spring of 1878. He then came to Chase County locating at Matfield Green, where he has ever since resided. In addition to his practice, Dr. Bocook operates a farm of 280 acres, situated on the South Fork of the Cottonwood River in Bazaar Township. He also has a half interest in a general merchandising business, conducted at Matfield Green, under the firm name of Cameron & Bocook. Dr. Bocook is a member of the Christian Church. He has been twice married, first to Miss Martha Scott, of Olive Hill, Ky., whom he married in 1859. She died in 1862, after bearing him two children, of whom George M. is now living. He married Miss Amanda E. Richards, of Olive Hill, Ky., July 10, 1864, by which marriage he has had nine children, of whom Julia A., Evanda, Sarah E., John E., Florence E., Alfred N. and Adah are now living.
CAPT. HENRY BRANDLEY, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 20, Township 22, Range 8, P. O. Matfield Green, was born in the Canton of Grison, Switzerland, October 12, 1839. He came to the United States with his parents in 1852, and located at Cincinnati, Ohio. After a residence of four years removed to Randolph County, Ind. Capt. Brandley removed to Cass County, Iowa, in the spring of 1859, but remained there only one season, and in the fall of 1859 came to Kansas. Located in Bazaar Township, and took a claim of 160 acres of land, situated on the South Fork of the Cottonwood River, which he began at once to improve, and farmed until September 6, 1861, when he enlisted as a private in Company B, Ninth Regiment Cavalry, Kansas Volunteers. He was promoted through the intermediate grades to the rank of Captain, and commanded Company B most of the time he was in service after he was commissioned. He was mustered out of service at Fort Leavenworth, in August, 1865. Then returned to his farm which he has since continued to operate. He has purchased additional land to the extent of 700 acres, which now comprises his farm, upon which he has placed valuable improvements. He has about 130 acres under cultivation, 200 acres of timber land and uses the remainder for hay and grazing. His farm is about all enclosed with a substantial stone fence. He has a herd of about 200 head of cattle of high grade. He also raises many hogs and some horses. Capt. Brandley enjoys to a high degree the esteem and confidence of the citizens of Chase County. He was a Representative in the State Legislature from this district, session of 1867. He was Journal Clerk of the Kansas House of Representatives, session of 1870 and 1872. He also represented this Senatorial district in the State Senate of 1873-74. He was also Journal Clerk in the State Senate, sessions of 1875, and Secretary of the Senate, sessions of 1877-79- 81 and 83. He was a delegate to two Republican State Conventions and Secretary of one. He held the office of Trustee of Bazaar Township one term by appointment, and has held the office of Justice of the Peace. Capt. Brandley is an active Republican, and has been a member of the County Central Committee twelve years, being Chairman of the Committee and Secretary of the same for several years. He married Miss Kittie Patterson of Berea, Ohio, in 1868. She died the following year. He married Miss Lizzie Romigh of Cottonwood Falls, April, 1870, by whom he has seven children - Clara, Maud, Harry, Ruby, Daisey, Pearl and Robert C., all living.
EDWIN CAMERON, general merchant, Matfield Green, was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, October 8, 1838. he was brought up on a farm in his native county. He received a collegiate education, and after attaining his majority engaged in teaching in the common schools of his native county, continuing through eleven terms. He afterwards taught in the high schools and in the Union Christian College, at Meron, Ind. He was for two years Superintendent of Schools at Mount Union, Ohio, and has in fact devoted most of his life to the education of the young. In the spring of 1879 he came to Kansas, locating at Matfield Green, Chase County, where he engaged in teaching, continuing over two years. In February, 1883, he bought half interest in the business of Bocook & Mitchell, the firm name being changed to Mitchell & Cameron. This firm continued to transact a general merchandising business until May, 1883, when Mr. Cameron bought the interest of Mr. Mitchell and subsequently formed a partnership with Dr. G. W. Bocook, under the firm name of Cameron & Bocook. The business was then removed to a more commodious store building and the stock enlarged and business extended. The firm carry (sic) a general stock of dry goods, clothing, boots and shoes, groceries, glass, tin and queensware, notions, drugs, etc. Mr. Cameron is an elder in the Christian Church and has been ordained to preach since 1871. He holds services semi- monthly at Matfield Green, monthly at the Charp Creek schoolhouse, and semimonthly at the Mitchell schoolhouse. He married Miss Elizabeth Elliot of Columbiana County, Ohio, October 25, 1866, by whom he has two children - Marvin J. and Adrian L., both living.
LOT LEONARD, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 33, Township 20, Range 8, P. O. Bazaar, was born in Jefferson, Greene County, Pa., October 1, 1830. He was brought up on a farm and resided in his native township until he came to Kansas in the spring of 1857. On the 15th day of April he located on the South Fork of the Cottonwood River, about seven and one half miles south of Cottonwood Falls, and took a claim of 160 acres of land, which he afterward bought from the government and still owns. He was one of the first white settlers that located on the South Fork, and has since remained upon his original claim, to which he has added by subsequent purchases, so that he now has a farm of 800 acres. he has about 140 acres under cultivation, about 100 acres of timber land, and uses the remainder for hay and grazing purposes. Principal crop is corn but also raises oats and millet. He has a herd of 195 head of cattle, including a thoroughbred male of the short-horn breed, and most of his herd are high grade cattle. He also raises some horses and hogs. Mr. Leonard was postmaster at Bazaar two years, and has been a member of the school board about twenty years. He is a Republican, but of late years has not taken an active part in politics. Shortly after the arrival of Mr. Leonard and his party on the Cottonwood, and before the completion of their cabins, they were camped under a large oak tree and had a reversed wagon box covering their provisions, when about 300 Kaw Indians pitched camp near them. The next morning the Indians visited their camp, and after knocking his party about in a very rough manner, for a while, and twice snapping a flint-lock gun pointed at Mr. Leonard, not over three feet away, they forcibly took all the provisions and other possessions of the party, except their ox team. The party had to live on fish, without salt, for four days, when a fresh supply of provisions was obtained from Emporia. Mr. Leonard married Miss Julietta Lane of Bazaar Township, February 4, 1860, by which marriage he has had eight children, of whom John B., Mary F., Nettie A., Minnie M. George W. and Jennie E. are now living.
HON. JAMES S. MITCHELL, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 30, Township 21, Range 8, P. O. Matfield Green, was born in Delaware County, N. Y., November 25, 1819. He was brought up on a farm in his native county, and after attaining his majority engaged in farming on his own account, continuing until 1857. He then removed to Iowa, but after a residence of two years he came to Kansas, driving through by team, and arrived in Chase County, October 27, 1859. He pre-empted 160 acres of land, situated on the South Fork of the Cottonwood River in Bazaar Township. He located in February and at once began to improve his farm. Sowing that year two acres of wheat which failed, he then planted it in corn which also failed; he then tried buck-wheat, but this also failing he sowed it to fall wheat, which produced a successful crop. He continued to break more land yearly, and produced the first crop of oats on the South Fork, and was one of the first to successfully grow wheat. He has ever since remained upon his original location, and has added to his farm by subsequent purchases, so that he now own 440 acres, upon which he has placed valuable improvements, including a commodious frame dwelling, and a large, very fine stone barn, excelled by only one in the county. He as an orchard of about four acres, which has produced fruit since 1870. He has about 200 acres under cultivation, 15 acres in timber land, and the remainder meadow land. He raises cattle and hogs ad some horses. He is a Republican in politics, and has held several offices in the county and township. Has been Treasurer of Bazaar Township four years, and Justice of the Peace four years. Has held the office of Judge of Probate for Chase County, town years by election, and one year by appointment. Also held the office of Coroner of Chase County two years. He married Miss Clarissa A. Evans of Schoharie County, N. Y., April 12, 1843. Mr. and Mrs. Mitchell are members of the Christian Church.
WILLIAM G. PATTEN, farmer, Section 22, Township 20, Range 8, P. O. Cottonwood Falls, was born in Clark County, Ohio, April 14, 1827. He received an academic education in his native State, and in 1830 removed to Williamsburg, Clermont County, and engaged in teaching music, remaining there until the fall of 1856. He then removed to Jersey County, Ill., and for two years was engaged in the lumber business and in the operation of a steam saw-mill. he then went to McDonough County, locating at Prairie City, where he engaged in commission and live-stock business. In August, 1861, he enlisted as a private in Company C, Engineer Regiment of the West. Upon the full organization of his Company Mr. Patten was elected by the members First Lieutenant, but before the arrival of his commission he was promoted to the rank of Captain. During the campaign of 1861, the regiment was with Gen. Fremont in his operations in Missouri. In March, 1862, went with Gen. Popes command to New Madrid, Mo., and participated in the siege of Island No. 10, being engaged in building fortifications and cutting a canal around the Island, repairing the railroad and other duties devolving upon their line in the service. Was next engaged in the siege of Corinth, being present until the evacuation, and afterward was in the army under Gen. Grant, in the advance toward Granada and the retreat therefrom. Their next movement was the siege of Vicksburg, Capt. Patten's Company being engaged in the early part of the siege, then ordered to the line of the Memphis & Charleston Railroad, and on duty repairing the road the remainder of the season. In the spring of 1864, the companies of the regiment were re-united, and were several months engaged in the construction of the Nashville & Northwestern Railroad. Was then ordered to the army under Gen. Sherman, and participated in the siege of Atlanta, until the surrender, after which the regiment was engaged in the repair of the fortifications around Atlanta until Shermans departure for the sea. The term of enlistment of the regiment having expired, Capt. Patten was mustered out of service at Nashville, November 19, 1864. He returned to Illinois and in 1865 engaged in mercantile business at Abingdon, Ill. He continued in this business until the spring of 1867, when he sold out, taking as part payment 160 acres of unimproved land situated on the South Fork of the Cottonwood River in Bazaar Township. In August, 1868, he came to Kansas, locating upon this land, which he began at once to improve, and has since continued to farm. He has made an additional purchase of 160 acres adjoining, had has place valuable improvements upon the farm, including a commodious frame dwelling and other farm buildings. He has an orchard of about 100 apple and 100 peach trees besides other fruit. He has 200 acres under cultivation, 20 acres of timber land and uses the balance for grazing purposes. Mr. Patten is a member of the Congregational Church at Cottonwood Falls. He is a member of Angola Lodge, No. 58, I. O. O. F., also a member of J. W. Geary Post, No. 15, G. A. R. He married Miss Sarah E> White of Clermont County, Ohio, May 21, 1851. She died December 23, 1863, after bearing him five children, all now deceased. He married Miss Myra E. Latimer of Knox County, Ill., November 30, 1865, by which marriage he has one child - Walter Glenn, born November 24, 1881.
CHARLES W. ROGLER, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 31, Township 21, Range 8, P. O. Matfield Green, was born in Saxony, Germany, March 5, 1836. He came to the United States in 1853, locating first in Huron County, Ohio, where he remained three years engaged in farming. He then went to Johnson County, Iowa, whence he removed to Chase County, Iowa, two years later. In the spring of 1859 he came to Kansas and bought a claim of 160 acres of land situated on the South Fork of the Cottonwood River in Bazaar Township. Leaving a man to hold his claim he returned to Iowa to dispose of his property there, and in the following spring located upon his claim, which he afterwards entered under the homestead law. He at once began to improve his place, built a log cabin and remained upon the farm until 1864, when he enlisted as a private in Company C, Seventeenth Regiment Kansas Volunteer Infantry, for 100 days. He was mustered out of service at Fort Leavenworth in December, 1864, and returned to his farm, which he has ever since continued to operate. He has since purchased land at different times to the amount of 720 acres, which comprises the home farm and 100 acres on Thurmans Creek, 80 acres on Crocker Creek, in Greenwood County. He has placed valuable improvements upon the home farm, including a commodious frame dwelling, good barn, corn cribs and other farm buildings, an orchard containing 250 apple and 100 peach trees, besides other fruit. He has divided the home farm and erected buildings for the use of his tenants, and made other improvements. He has about 250 acres under cultivation and has 160 acres of timber land, the remainder devoted to hay and grazing purposes. He has a herd of about 300 head of cattle, including one thoroughbred male short-horn and some high grade stock. He also raises many hogs and some horses. Mr. Rogler is a Republican in politics and has held the office of County Commissioner of Chase County two years, has been Trustee of Bazaar Township three years and Justice of the Peace six years, besides holding some other local offices. He is a stock- holder and director in the Chase County National Bank. One of the earliest settlers on the South Fork, coming here with little means, by industry and frugality, Mr. Rogler has placed himself in the list of successful stock farmers of Chase County. He married Miss Mary Satchel, of Butler County, June 20, 1869, by whom he has five children, Albert, Catharine, Emma, Henry and Mary Jane, all living.
HORACE G. WHITE, farmer and dairyman, Section 29, Township 20, Range 8, P. O. Bazaar, was born in Cayuga County, N. Y., January 18, 1831. He was brought up on a dairy farm, in his native county, where he resided until October, 1861. He then entered the volunteer service as Second Lieutenant of Company F, Ninety-fourth Regiment, New York Volunteers. Was assigned to the army of the Potomac, and participated in the battle of South Mountain and the second battle of Bull Run. He was promoted to First Lieutenant in May, 1862, and after the battle of Bull Run was promoted to Captain and assigned to the command of Company A. He afterwards participated in the battles of Fredericksburg, Stone Mountain, Antietam and Gettsyburg. In the latter engagement Capt. White was take prisoner, with most of the men of his Regiment, and was confined in Libby prison, at Richmond, at Danville, Macon, Charleston and Columbia. From the latter point he made his escape February 14, 1865, with about seventy-five others, and succeeded in reaching the lines of General Shermans army. He was then sent to Washington, and being in poor health from his long confinement of nearly two years, he resigned. He then returned to his farm which he operated until 1869, when he removed to Richland County, Wisconsin, and engaged in the dairy and hop-raising business, continuing until the fall of 1877, when he came to Kansas, located on the South Fork of the Cottonwood River, in Bazaar Township, and engaged in dairy business. In 1882 he bought 240 acres of land and is now engaged in stock-raising and farming in connection with his dairy business. In the spring of 1883 he formed a partnership with Charles and George W. Cosper, under the firm name of White & Cosper Bros. They firm have (sic) since bought 240 acres of bottom land, situated on the South Fork of the Cottonwood River, and made great improvements in their cheese factory. They have about 100 acres under cultivation and the remainder devoted to hay and grazing purposes. They have a herd of 112 head of cattle, mostly dairy cows, and operate the only cheese factory in the Township. Mr. White is a member of the I. O. O. F. He was appointed postmaster at Bazaar, in April, 1878, and has held the office ever since. He married Miss Delia A. Matson, of Cayuga County, N. Y., December 30, 1851, by which marriage he has had six children, of whom Minnie C., Julia G., Charlotte E. and Lucretia T., are now living.