|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
SAMUEL B. HARVEY, stock-farmer, Section 26, Township 19, Range 8, P. O. Strong City, was born in Clinton County, Ohio, July 22, 1831. His father, Henry Harvey, came to Kansas in 1840, as a Quaker missionary to the Shawnee Indians, remaining three years. The first language learned by Samuel B., was the Shawnee, learned while a child, in Ohio, where his father was a missionary to that tribe before their removal to Kansas. In 1850, his father again came to Kansas, appointed Government Agent by President Taylor, to the Osage tribe. Since that time the subject of this sketch has made Kansas his home. He was educated in the Government Indian Schools. In August, 1854, upon the opening of Kansas lands to settlers, he pre-empted 160 acres in Wabaunsee County, at the present location of the village of Harveyville, named in honor of his father. He remained upon this farm about twelve years, then removed to Dade County, Mo., where he remained about five years, engaged in farming. He then returned to Kansas, locating in Coffey County, whence he removed to Colorado three years later, remaining there until 1880, most of the time holding office in Gunnison County, as County Clerk, and ex officio Recorder of Deeds. he came to his present location, at the junction of the South Fork of the Cottonwood River with the main stream, in the fall of 1880. In partnership with his son-in-law, A. Hinkle, he started a stock-farm. They have 150 acres in the home- farm, and 500 acres of grazing land about two miles east. They have made extensive improvements upon the place, have about ninety acres under cultivation, fifty acres of timber land, most of which has been successfully sowed with blue grass, the remainder of their land being used for grazing purposes. They have about thirty head of thoroughbred short-horn cattle, and about 100 head of good graded stock. Mr. Harvey was the second Sheriff of Wabaunsee County under Territorial Government, and has since held several Township and local offices in Kansas. He is well pleased with Kansas as a farming country, and intends to remain upon his present location during life. Mr. Harvey married Miss Elizabeth C. Akins, of Cass County, Mo., June 2, 1853; she died January 24, 1855, leaving one child - Elizabeth A., now living.
ARCHIBALD MILLER, stock-farmer, Section 25, Township 19, Range 8, P. O. Cottonwood Falls, was born in County of Antrim, Ireland, September 12, 1833; came to the United States in 1854, located first in Michigan, whence he came to Kansas in October, 1857. In the spring of 1858 he settled upon his present location, and pre-empted 160 acres of land, which he began at once to improve. He was one of the earliest settlers on the South Fork of the Cottonwood River, and has remained upon his claim ever since his first location. He has made additional purchases of land and now has in his farm 800 acres. He has made valuable improvements upon his farm, including a substantial stone dwelling, a large stone barn and other farm buildings, and an orchard of about three acres. He has about 200 acres under cultivation, 80 acres of timber land, about 100 acres of good hay producing land, and uses the remainder for grazing purposes. He is quite extensively engaged in raising cattle, horses, hogs, and sheep. Has a herd numbering about 200 head, some thoroughbred cattle, and his sheep are of a high grade of the cotswold breed. Mr. Miller is a stockholder and director in the Chase County National Bank. He is an attendant of the United Presbyterian Church of which Mrs. Miller is a member. He is a member of the Board of Commissioners of Chase County, and has held every office in the township, from member of School Board to Trustee and Treasurer. He married Miss Mary McNee, of Lyon County, July 23, 1868, by which marriage he has had seven children, of whom John, Jane, Archibald Jr., James M., George H. and William S., are now living.
CHARLES McDOWELL, farmer, Section 17, Township 19, Range 8, P. O. Cottonwood Falls, was born in County Tyrone, Ireland, December 28, 1816, locating first in Belmont County, Ohio, where he remained engaged in farming until he came to Kansas in the spring of 1871. Located on the Cottonwood River, two miles northwest of Cottonwood Falls and purchased eighty acres of land. He has since made additional purchases and now owns 360 acres, upon which he has made valuable improvements, including a commodious and substantial stone dwelling house and other necessary farm buildings. His principal crop is corn, but he also raises wheat, cattle, horses and hogs. His land is all fine bottom land, and very productive. Mr. McDowell is a member of the United Presbyterian Church. He is a Democrat in politics, and has held some local offices. He was married to Miss Isabella Clements of County Tyrone, March 5, 1841, by which marriage he has had seven children, of whom Ellen, James G., Anna M., Charles C., John and William D. are now living.
GIDEON C. MILLAR, stock-farmer, Section 11, Township 20, Range 8, P. O. Cottonwood Falls, was born in Scioto County, Ohio, July 9, 1848. When he was four years old his parents removed to Sangamon County, Ill., where he was raised on a farm. He received a good common school education and graduated from the National Union Commercial College, at Springfield, Ill., in March, 1868. After attaining his majority, he engaged in stock business in Sangamon County, continuing until the spring of 1873, when he came to Kansas, located in Falls Township, on the South Fork of the Cottonwood River, where he has since resided. He has made purchases of land at different times until he now has in his farm 2,880 acres, all fenced with stone or wire. He has placed valuable improvements upon his farm, including a good frame dwelling, barn and other farm buildings; an orchard of about 600 apple and 250 pear trees besides other fruit. From a never failing spring upon a bluff, about fifty feet higher than his yard,. he brings water through 2,600 feet of pipe to a reservoir holding 325 barrels, in sufficient quantity to water his stock and supply all domestic and other requirements. Mr. Millar has on an average about 250 head of high grade cattle in his herd. He also raises horses and hogs. He has about 250 acres under cultivation, 175 acres of timberland, the remainder devoted to hay and grazing purposes. Principal crop is corn. He also has about forty acres of tame grasses. Mr. Millar is a member of Zeradatha Lodge, No. 80, A. , F. & A. M., and of Emporia Commandry, No. 8, K. T. He married Miss Jennie McGinnis, of Falls Township, April 13, 1875, by whom he has two children, Charles and Nellie A., both living.
JOHN T. AND WILLIAM E. PRATHER, stock-farmers, Section 30, Township 19, Range 8, P. O. Cottonwood Falls, were born in Ross County, Ohio; where they were brought up on a farm and remained until the spring of 1859, when they came to Kansas with their parents, locating on Prather Creek, about one mile and a half west of Cottonwood Falls. Here they have since resided upon 160 acres pre- empted by their father, since deceased, 160 acres pre-empted by John T. and other land acquired by purchase. They have at present in their farm 720 acres, of which about 200 acres are under cultivation, the remainder good grazing land. Nearly all their land is fenced with stone, wire or hedge fence. They operate their farm in partnership, under the firm name of John T. Prather & Bro., and have one of the finest herds of stock in Chase County, numbering about 350 head. They have a number of imported and thoroughbred cattle of the Galloway, Durham, Shorthorn, Holstien (sic) and Hereford breeds, and most of their stock is of a high grade. They also raise horses, mules and hogs to quite an extent, and have a flock of thoroughbred and high grade Cotswold sheep. Mrs. Prather raises a large number of Plymouth Rock fowls, and took the second premium for poultry at the Chase County Agricultural Fair, in the fall of 1882. Also makes a large quantity of butter and furnishes it to private families at 20 cents per pound for the entire year. John T. was born August 26, 1838, and married Miss Samantha J. Griffith, of Sangamon County, Ill., June 5, 1877. William E. was born July 8, 1849.
JOHN H. SCRIBNER, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 20, Township 19, Range 8, P. O. Cottonwood Falls, was born in Ashtabula County, Ohio, October 2, 1828. He was brought up on a farm and followed farming and stock business, in connection with lumbering, until he came to Kansas, living most of the time in his native county. In the spring of 1860 he located in Chase, and entered, by land warrants, 320 acres of land, situated on Fox Creek, in Falls Township, which he improved and farmed until 1866, when he bought 175 acres of partly improved land, situated on the Cottonwood River, opposite Cottonwood Falls. This he has improved by the erection of a commodious stone dwelling, barn, stock sheds, corn cribs, granaries and other farm buildings. Also has an orchard of about 300 apple trees, beside other fruit. He also owns 480 acres of land in Bazaar Township, which he uses for grazing purposes, and owns a half interest in 160 acres adjoining his ranch. He is quite extensively engaged in stock-raising, having in his herd about 350 head of cattle, including some thoroughbred and many high grade. He also raises many hogs and some horses. He has about 140 acres under cultivation, raising corn as his principal crop. His home farm is all very fine bottom land, and its location being but a few rods from the business portion of the county-seat makes it very valuable. Mr. Scribner was Quartermaster of the Eight Regiment, Kansas Militia, during the war, and was called into service upon several occasions. He is not an active politician ,but has held the office of Sheriff of Chase County one term and has held some other local offices. He is a member of the order of A.., F. & A. M. He has been twice married; first, to Miss Luana Baker, of Ashtabula County, Ohio, whom he married February 14, 1849. She died in August, 1851, leaving one child, since deceased. He married Miss Betsey E. Hogle, of Erie County, Pa., August 24, 1852, by which marriage he has had nine children, of whom A. Z., Cora E., Nat. B., Lula Luma and Ridgel R. are now living.
DIAMOND CREEK TOWNSHIP.
DAVID B. BERRY, of the firm of Berry and Burton, general merchants Strong City, and stock farmer, residence Section 4, Township 18, Range 7, P. O. Strong City, was born March 23, 1846, at Wurtemburg, Germany. He received an academic education in his fatherland and came to the United States in 1865. First located in Denver, Col., and engaged in the mercantile business, remaining there one year, and then started in business in Southern Colorado and New Mexico, driving a four horse peddlers wagon, and trading principally with Mexicans and Indians. After following this business about a year he engaged in merchandising at Pueblo, Colorado, where he remained until 1873, when he sold his interest in the store to his brother and engaged in live stock business in Southern Colorado. In 1880 he removed part of his herds to the Pan Handle of Texas. In the summer of 1879, he made his first purchase of 160 acres in Chase County, to which he has since added by subsequent purchases over nine sections of land, situated at the head of Shaffer Creek and lying partly in Chase County and partly in Morris County. He now has on his stock farm in this State over 6,000 acres all fenced with stone and wire fence and stocked wit one of the finest herds of Hereford and Polled Angus cattle in the State, numbering over 600 head. He has about 400 acres of his land under cultivation and raises sufficient corn to winter his stock. Mr. Berry also owns land in Pueblo County, Colorado, where he has stock-raising interests. In March, 1883, he formed a partnership with Mr. A. C. Burton, under the firm name of Berry & Burton, who have since established at Strong City one of the largest general merchandise establishments in the county. They occupy a large and very fine stone store building and carry an extensive and well-selected stock. Mr. Burton, a young man of experience and business ability, is the resident partner, and they have already built up an extensive and prosperous trade.
ROBERT BRASH, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 22, Township 19, Range 7, P. O. Elmdale, was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, July 17, 1834. He came to the United States in 1854, locating first in Schuylkill County, Pa., where he remained about two years engaged in engineering. He then went to California and engaged in mining, remaining five years and meeting with good success. In 1860 he came to Kansas, locating on Middle Creek in Diamond Creek Township, where he has ever since resided. He has a farm of 160 acres upon which he has placed many valuable improvements, including a commodious farmhouse, barn, cattle sheds, etc., and an orchard of three acres. He has 100 acres under cultivation, principal crop is corn, but deals most extensively in cattle. Mr. Brash came to this part of the State when there were but few settlers here, and has ever since remained upon his first location, becoming firmly identified with the interests of Elmdale and Chase County. He is a member of Zeredatha Lodge, No. 80, A., F. & A. M. He has held the office of Justice of the Peace ten years, and has been Trustee of Diamond Creek Township twice. Mr. Brash is a stockholder in the Chase County National Bank, of Cottonwood Falls.
JOHN R. HOLMES, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 28, Township 19, Range 7, P. O. Elmdale, was born in Cambridgeshire, England, December 14, 1834. Came to the United States with his parents in 1848, locating in Livingston County, Mich. He was there engaged upon a farm the most of the time until the fall of 1869, when he came to Kansas and located in Diamond Creek Township, about two miles southwest of Elmdale. He first purchased 160 acres of land to which he has since added by purchase 1,600 acres. His principal interest at present is stock-raising, although he has about 300 acres under cultivation. He has in his herd about thirty-five head of thoroughbred shorthorns, and about 400 head of high grade cattle. Mr. Holmes is an active Democrat in politics. He is a member of the Zeredatha Lodge, No. 80, A., F. & A. M. He married Miss Mary E. Lare, of Livingston County, Michigan, March 15, 1860, by whom he has had two children, John A. and Jennie A., both living on the home farm.
WILLIAM JEFFREY, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 3, Township 19, Range 7, P. O. Elmdale, was born May 22, 1834, in Harrison County, W. Va., where he remained until he came to Kansas. He was raised on a farm and received a common school education. Upon attaining his majority he studied civil engineering and afterward followed the business of a surveyor in his native State. In 1848 he engaged in farming, which he continued during his residence in West Virginia. In 1854 he established himself in the mercantile business at New Milton, Harrison County, and in addition to the operation of his farm, conducted a general store for two years. In the spring of 1867 he came to Kansas, locating in Lyon County, upon the Neosho River, about two miles north of Emporia. Here he purchased a farm which he operated two and a half years. He then sold his farm and located in Chase County, on Diamond Creek, in Diamond Creek Township, where he has ever since resided. He has a farm of 320 acres upon which he has placed valuable improvements. He has about 100 acres under cultivation and has an orchard containing 250 apple and 200 peach trees, besides other fruits. He raises cattle and hogs quite extensively. His principal crop is corn. Mr. Jeffrey is a stockholder and director of the Chase County National Bank. He is a member of the Seventh day Baptist Church. Has held the office of Justice of the Peace for ten years, and represented his district in the State Legislature session of 1883. He married Miss Mary A. F. Randolph, of Harrison County, W. Va., September 30, 1847, by which marriage he has had ten children, of whom Phineas C., Benoni I., Joseph, John, James R., Ellsworth W., Clement L., Ferdinand W. and Maggie L., are now living.
PHINEAS C. JEFFREY, general merchant, Elmdale, was born in Doddridge County, W. Va., February 24, 1850. He received a common school education and remained in his native county until he came to Kansas in the fall of 1866. He located in Chase County, and in the fall of 1867, went to Lyon County. He remained there upon his fathers farm until the fall of 1869; he then settled in Elmdale and engaged in farming in the summer, and school teaching in the winter. In May, 1872, he established himself in business as a general merchant at Elmdale, under the firm name of William Jeffrey & Son. His father had no interest in the business, and his name was used only to give weight to the standing of the firm. He has ever since been engaged in this business. In 1882 he bought an improved farm of 900 acres, situated on the Cotton wood River about three miles southwest of Elmdale. He rents this farm on shares. He also raises cattle and hogs, feeding the most of his crops to his own stock. He has about 500 acres under cultivation, and 700 acres fenced. Principal crop is corn. He carries a general stock of dry goods, groceries, clothing, boots and shoes, notions and everything usually kept in a first class country store. Commencing business with a capital of $235, Mr. Jeffreys has built up a large trade, which ranks with the largest in Chase County, his sales amounting to between $40,000 and $50,000 per annum. Mr. Jeffrey was postmaster of Elmdale from 1878 to 1879. He has held the office of Township Clerk one year. He was elected a member of the Board of County Commissioners of Chase County, at the fall election of 1880, for a three years term. Mr. Jeffrey is a member of Elmdale Lodge, No. 128, I. O. O. F. He married Miss Hattie Everett, of Elmdale, June 9, 1881.
FRANK JOHNSON, M. D., physician and druggist, postmaster at Elmdale, was born in Crawford County, Ohio, September 1, 1840, graduating at Oberlin, in March, 1861. In April, he enlisted as a private in Company C, Eighth Regiment Ohio Volunteers, for three months. Before leaving the State the Regiment re-enlisted for three years, and was assigned to the army in Western Virginia. Dr. Johnson participated in the battles of Cheat Mountain, Winchester, Strausburg, Front Royal and Port Republic. He was wounded in the left leg in this last engagement, and after remaining about two months in the hospital, was discharged on surgeons certificate of disability. In January, 1863, he re-entered the service as First Sergeant of Company B, Twelfth Regiment, Indian Cavalry; was assigned to the army of the Cumberland. Here he rose from Sergeant of Captain, this last honor being attained April 12, 1865. After much honorable service, having partaken in many hot engagements, Captain Johnson was mustered out of service at Vicksburg, November 10, 1865. He then began the study of medicine with S. G. Johnson, M. D., of Bucyrus, Ohio, and on March 20, 1867, he graduated from the medical department of the Ann Arbor University. He at once entered upon the practice of his profession at Grand Rapids, Mich. Two years later he discontinued his practice and engaged in the lumber business in Kent County, Mich. He was burned out in September, 1874, at the time of the great fire in Michigan. In the spring of 1875 he came to Kansas, locating first in Butler County, where he remained one year engaged in the practice of his profession. In April, 1876, he came to Chase County, locating at Elmdale, where he has since remained. Besides being engaged in the practice of his profession he has operated a drug store, which he established in the fall of 1878. In 1882 he moved to more commodious quarters and added a general stock of merchandise, and now operates a general store. He was appointed postmaster of Elmdale, in the spring of 1878. He married Miss Maggie Mooney, of Butler County, June 19, 1878, by whom he has had three children, of whom Frank and Maggie Ethel, are now living.
WILLIAM MAXWELL, farmer, Section 20, Township 19, Range 7, P. O. Elmdale, was born in Clay County, Ind., March 16, 1832. He was brought up on a farm and received a common school education. In 1854 he moved to Iowa and remained there until the spring of 1858, when he came to Kansas. He pre-empted 160 acres of land situated on Middle Creek, in Diamond Creek Township. This he at once began to improve, and has ever since resided upon. He has since purchased 200 acres adjoining the home farm and has about 140 acres under cultivation and an orchard containing about 300 apple trees, besides other fruits. His principal crop is corn; also raises many hogs, and some horses and cattle. Mr. Maxwell is a member of the Christian Church. He married Miss Susan Hartley, of Vigo County, Ind., October 19, 1852, buy whom he has had three children, of whom John H. and William T. are now living.
GEORGE MCNEE, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 14, Township 19, Range 6, P. O. Elmdale, was born in Perthshire, Scotland, March 17, 1832. He came to the United States in 1856, and for the next three years lived in Rock County, Wis., after which he was employed as a farm hand in various places until he came to Kansas, in the summer of 1860. He located on Middle Creek, in Diamond Creek Township,, and bought a claim of 160 aces which he afterwards pre-empted. He made no improvements until 1863, when he settled on his farm and has ever since operated it. He has since made additional purchases of land, and now owns 760 acres, divided into five farms, each of which is improved by the erection of a dwelling and other farm buildings. He rents all but the home farm, and is quite extensively engaged in raising cattle, horses and hogs. Mr. McNee is one of the most enterprising of the early settlers of Chase County, and has become identified with the interests of the township in which he lives.
ISAIAH D. RIDER, farmer, Section 34, Township 19, Range 7, P. O. Elmdale, was born March 10, 1823, at Winchendon, Mass., and when ten years old removed with his parents to St. Lawrence County, N. Y., where he was brought up on a farm. In 1843 he removed to Ohio, remaining two years; then, after a residence of two years in Michigan, located in La Salle County, Ill. Here he engaged in the operation of a saw-mill, and after remaining six years, removed to Whiteside County, and engaged in farming. From Illinois he came to Kansas in the spring of 1860, locating in Chase County, on Diamond Creek, in Diamond Creek Township. He was one of the early settlers at the head of the creek, and had considerable trouble with the Indians, and more from the groundless reports of their coming raids. Mr. Rider purchased a farm of 160 acres which he improved and farmed about eight years. He then sold it and came to his present location on the Cottonwood River, about two miles south of Elmdale. Here he purchased 320 acres of unimproved land. He has about 180 acres under cultivation and an orchard of five acres. He has placed valuable improvements upon his farm including a good dwelling, barn and other necessary farm buildings. He formerly raised many cattle here but about two years ago he sent his herd to the Indian Nation. He has there in connection with his sons, about 500 head of cattle. Mr. Rider is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He married Mrs. Catherine Speaker, of La Salle County, Ill., March 5, 1851, by which marriage he has had five children, of whom Isaac D., Jr., Franklin G., George R. and Christopher C. are now living.
ALBERT SEATON, agent A., T. & S. F. R. R., was born at Stephensport, Breckenridge County, Ky., August 22, 1856. He received a good common school education, and at the age of fourteen years he came to Kansas with his parents, who, after residing a few months at Lacygne, located at Sedgwick City, Sedgwick County, where he remained about five years, spending most of his time in school and in acquiring a knowledge of telegraphy. After he had mastered this science he engaged as an operator at Larned, upon the line of the A., T. & S. F. R. R., and has ever since been in the employ of this great corporation. After a few months service as operator, he was appointed agent at Raymond, and remained there fifteen months, and then was appointed agent at Elmdale, which position he has ever since held. The estimation in which he is held by the company may be inferred from the fact that he is one of the oldest station agents on the line of the road, though still a young man.
JOSHUA S. SHIPMAN, County Treasurer, was born at Marietta, Ohio, March 6, 1832. He was raised upon a farm in Washington, and received a common school education. His father died when he was seven years of age, leaving a family of four children, of whom Mr. Shipman was the next to the eldest. From early youth a large share of the maintenance of the family devolved upon him. He remained in his native county until 1858, when he moved to Lee County, Iowa, and engaged in teaching. In March, 1860, he came to Kansas, and located upon a claim of 160 acres situated upon the Cottonwood River, in Diamond Creek Township, near the present site of Elmdale. This claim he has ever since held. In the fall of 1860 he walked to Missouri, 200 miles, and taught school through the winter, walking back through the snow, some of the way fourteen inches deep. The following spring he went to Atchison three times to receive the allotted aid for his township from the Territorial Committee having charge of soliciting and distributing aid to the sufferers by the drouth (sic) of 1860. During the war he was enrolled in the State militia, and was called into service upon two or three occasions to resist Indian invasions and raids. He has since made additional purchase of land, and now has in his farm 700 acres of land, upon which he has placed valuable improvements, including frame dwelling, barn, cattle sheds, corn cribs and an orchard of about two acres. He raises cattle, horses and hogs, and feeds all his crops to his own stock and buys additional feed. Principal crop is corn. He also operates a water grist and saw-mill, known as the Osage Mills, completed in 1870, and located on the Cottonwood River. Mr. Shipman held the office of County Superintendent of Schools two years, being elected in 1868. He was elected County Treasurer in 1880, and re-elected to the office in 1882. He has been married three times, having children by each marriage. All of them are still living, as follows: C. Frederick, Julia S., Arthur B., Annie M. and Harry L.
EBENEZER STOTTS, banker, farmer and stock-raiser, Elmdale, was born in Noble County, Ohio, March 1, 1834. His education is principally self-acquired, having enjoyed but three months schooling in his life. He was brought up on a farm. After attaining his majority he engaged in farming in his native county. In the fall of 1856 he removed to Dallas County, Iowa, whence he came to Kansas in 1857, making the journey on foot. He located in Chase County in June, 1857, pre-empting 160 acres of land situated in the Cottonwood Valley, in Falls Township. This he improved and operated until 1862, when he sold it and removed to Cottonwood Falls, engaging in the mercantile business. He operated a general store there for four years. He then disposed of his stock and bought a farm situated on Diamond Creek, in Diamond Creek Township, which he operated ten years and still owns. This farm comprises 320 acres of bottom and upland land, and has valuable improvements. In the fall of 1876 Mr. Stotts rented his farm, but is still interested in stock-raising and is also handling and shipping stock. He removed to Elmdale in 1876 and built a storehouse with the intention of engaging in the mercantile business. He afterward changed his plans, rented his storehouse and engaged in business as a broker. In May, 1881, he completed his bank building and started a general banking business at Elmdale. His capital is ample for the transaction of the business. The monthly average of deposits is about $10,000. Mr. Stotts is a member of Elmdale Lodge, No. 128, I. O. O. F. He has been married three times. He has one child, by his first wife - William Riley, born December 4, 1862.
STEPHEN M. WOOD, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 33, Township 19, Range 7, P. O. Elmdale, was born at Mount Gilead, Morrow Co., Ohio, June 10, 1832. He was brought up on a farm and received a common school education. He was married May 22, 1853, and about two years after moved to Cedar County, Iowa, where he remained engaged in farming until November, 1861, when he entered the army as Second Lieutenant of Company B, Sixth Regiment, Missouri Cavalry. He was promoted to First Lieutenant and Quartermaster of the regiment, August 1, 1863; and April 12, 1864, he was detailed as Brigade Commissary of Subsistance of First Brigade Cavalry Division, Department of the Gulf. November 25, 1864, he was detailed as Quartermaster of the Pontoon Brigade. Most of his service was in Missouri, Louisiana and Mississippi. He was mustered out of service at New Orleans, September 12, 1865. In the spring of 1866 he came to Kansas and located in Diamond Creek Township, two miles southwest of Elmdale, where he has ever since resided. He has a farm of 640 acres upon which he has placed valuable improvements, including a very find and large orchard. Mr. Wood has taken quite an active part in politics, and is one of the most prominent men of Chase County and has several times received the suffrage of the electors of the County, besides local and minor offices. He has twice represented the county in the Legislature from the Sixty-eighth Representative District, and has held the office of State Senator one term from Chase, Marion and Morris counties. In April, 1877, he was appointed as Regent of the State Agricultural College, and re-appointed in 1880. During the last four years of office he was the presiding officer of the board, and no small part of the present prosperity of the college is due to his clear insight in all matters of financial or practical nature and his earnest and energetic performance of the duties of his trust. He married Miss Caroline H. Breese, of Morrow County, Ohio, by whom he has four children - Wallace A., Clarence D., Carrie and Sidney B., all living.