|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
Towanda is a live little town of seventy-five inhabitants, located on the Whitewater, about eight miles west of El Dorado. It was laid out in June, 1870, by Rev. Isaac Mooney. The town consisted of eight blocks of twelve lots each. Streets were sixty-six feet wide except Main street, which was 100. The first house on the town site was erected by G. W. Baker, and used as a store. During 1871 Mr. Mooney built a large hotel and barn, and the other settlers put up residences. A fine schoolhouse was put up this year at a cost of $1,500. Since the building of the St. Louis, Ft. Scott & Wichita Railway, the town has grown rapidly, and bids fair to attain considerable size.
J. S. BRALEY, farmer and carpenter, Section 15, P. O. Towanda, was born in Meigs County, Ohio, May 12, 1822. After attaining his majority he emigrated to Southern Minnesota, where he resided for several years. Came to Kansas in 1873, locating at Towanda, being among the early settlers. He has done considerable carpenter work in this part, and many of the old landmarks are his work. For five years he was Justice of the Peace, and has held minor offices. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. Mr. Braley was married in Ohio to Miss Murella Kelly. They have two children - Theora and Matsis.
D. H. CUPP, farmer, Section 8, P. O. Towanda one of the first settlers of this part of Kansas, is the subject of this sketch. He is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in Milford Township, Somerset County, October 20, 1837; was principally reared in Easton County, Mich. Was a resident of Michigan, coming from that State to Kansas in 1860. On the 10th day of July of that year he settled a short distance north of his present home on the Whitewater. He had all the difficulties of a frontiersman to contend with, there being at that period no railroads in the State. The Indians at times made it dangerous for the few inhabitants. In September, 1861, he enlisted for three years in the Second Kansas, under Jim Lane; was quartered on the Whitewater; served six months, when with others he was released from duty. In 1864 he again enlisted in the Seventeenth Kansas, serving until the close of the war. Mr. Cupp was the Towanda Postmaster at an early day, the office being one and a half miles north of the present town site. For six years he was Township Trustee and otherwise officially identified. He was married in Kansas to Miss S. C. Malon. They have five children living - D. S., S. H. M., Burt, C. Verne and Roy L. Four are deceased - Alice, Helvetius and two infants.
S. C. FULTON, farmer and stockraiser, Section 33, P. O. Augusta. He located in the spring of 1863 where he now resides. He had many drawbacks to encounter in those primitive times; but few if any of the early settlers overcame them more successfully than Mr. Fulton. He is a native of Ohio; was born in Summit County, December 20, 1827. Was a resident of Mason Co., Ill., for a number of years, and there married Miss N. J. Underwood. They have four children - Eugene, Ida, Frank and Eva. Mr. Fulton has been Commissioner for Butler County six years, and identified with local offices.
ISAAC HAMMOND, farmer and stock raiser, Section 34, P. O. Augusta. In 1871 the subject of the sketch located where he now resides. He is a native of England and was born in 1837. When young came to the United States, settling in Hancock County, Ill., which was his home for several years. During the Rebellion he enlisted, serving three years in the First Iowa Cavalry. Was married in Illinois to Miss Rebecca Isenberger. They have five children - Walter, Jennie, Harry, Sidney and Ike.
L. M. HOBART, Section 20, P. O. Towanda, is a native of Vermont, and was born in Montpelier, June 9, 1816. When seventeen years of age came to Illinois, living in Schuyler and McDonough Counties, until the spring of 1870, when he came to Kansas, locating where he now resides. Mr. H. had the usual drawbacks to contend with that were incidental in those days. In the spring of 1871, was elected Justice of the Peace, which position he held two years. Was again elected in 1880. Was married in Illinois to Miss H. J. Horton, whose death occurred soon after. His present wife, Miss Frances Bliss, he also married in Illinois. They have had six children, three of whom are living - George F., Harriet J. and Luther G. He and his family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. On the 14th of July, 1862, he enlisted in Company D., One Hundred and Fifteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, serving as Hospital Steward until the close of the war.
KULLMANN BROTHERS, hardware merchants. These gentlemen established in trade May 1, 1883, and are carrying an excellent stock of shelf and heavy hardware, tinware and agricultural implements. Peter Kullmann, Jr., the senior member of the firm, is a native of Illinois. Was born in St. Clair County, August 22, 1859. He is a practical tinner by trade. J. C. Kullmann, the junior, was born in St. Clair County, Ill., January 27, 1852. By trade is a miller, having followed that vocation for several years.
ELI LYTLE, proprietor of the Whitewater Mill, P. O. Towanda. This gentleman is a native of Ohio, and was born in Perry County, January 18, 1826. He was principally reared in Western New York, where he learned the millwright's trade. Subsequently lived in Indiana, Ohio and Illinois. The spring of 1857 came to Kansas settling in Miami County, and later in Johnson County, where he was engaged in agricultural pursuits. In 1861 he was farming in Missouri, having moved there on account of the hostilities that were prevailing in Kansas. In that year his property was entirely destroyed by the Confederates, so he enlisted in the Seventh Missouri Cavalry, serving in the Union cause until 1863, when he was honorably discharged on account of disability. In 1869 Mr. L. came to Butler County, settling on the Whitewater, being among the earlier ones in this part. In 1873 he built his mill, which is a two-run substantial structure. He has contributed amply toward the growth and development of Butler County. Mr. L. was married in Fulton County, Ill., to Miss Susan C. Wilson. They have had six children, two of whom are living - Charles F. and William. Mr. L. is a Mason.
DUNCAN McLAUGHLIN, farmer and stock raiser, Section 21, P. O. Towanda. Is a native of West Virginia; was born in Nicholas County, December 31, 1833. He came to Butler County, Kan., locating in Towanda Township in 1869. Mr. McL. Had many drawbacks to contend with the first few years. For two years, previous to coming to Butler, was a resident of Leavenworth County, where he was married to Miss Eveline Edmiston. They have two children - Etta and Crea. He was Treasurer of the township, and has held minor offices. During the war he was Representative of the Virginia State Legislature from the district composed of Braxton, Webster, Clay, and Nicholas counties.
W. G. MITCHELL, farmer and stock raiser, Section 4, P. O. Towanda; was born in Macoupin County, Ill., March 13, 1853. He left Illinois when twenty-one years of age. Went to Texas in 1874, and remained there until August, 1879, when he removed to Parsons, Kan., and lived there until December. The same year he visited his old home in Macoupin County, Ill. He returned to Kansas, February 2, 1882, and settled in Butler County on Section 5, Township 26, and is one of the enterprising young farmers of the township. He was married in Texas to Miss Emily E. Erwin; they have three children - Mary, Martin and John.
W. B. MONTGOMERY, merchant, one of the most active young business men in Butler County, is the subject of this sketch. In January, 1883, he embarked in general merchandising in Towanda; he also handles the lumber trade of the town, and deals in produce. Mr. M. is a native of Indiana; was born in Tipton County, April 17, 1854; was educated and raised in his native State. In 1875 came to El Dorado, Kan., which was his home, with the exception of a short time spend in Colorado, until coming to Towanda. He was married in El Dorado to Miss Ella Harvey; they have one daughter - Dora. Mr. M. is a member of the K. of P. and the I. O. O. F.
HON. ISAAC MOONEY, Postmaster, was born in Montgomery County, Ohio, May 22, 1820. He was educated and reared in his native State, his early days being spent in tilling the soil. In 1856 he came to Illinois, and for a number of years resided in Whitesides and Henry counties. In 1870 he came to Kansas, locating in Towanda, being one of the pioneers. He built a large hotel, and took an active part in developing the first enterprises of the place. He was appointed Postmaster soon after his arrival, and with the exception of a short interim, has held the office continuously since. Politically, he is a stanch Republican, and was elected by that party to the State Legislature in 1871. He has always been an active worker in the temperance cause, and has always contributed amply towards furthering its interests in Kansas. Early in life he became connected with the Christian Church, and of later years has done considerable in the ministry, organizing the Christian society in Towanda and other places. He was also instrumental in organizing the Southern Kansas Conference of which he was president, and subsequently president of the State Conference. Me. Mooney has been twice married, both times in Ohio. His first wife was Miss Angeline Clark, whose death occurred eighteen months after their marriage. His present wife's maiden name was Eliza Rhodehamel. By this marriage they have eight children - S. R., V. P., Sarah M., Celia A., Isaac N. W., Sarepta, Joseph and Luella. By his first wife he has one daughter - Nancy.
GEEORGE MURRY, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Towanda, is a native of Ireland, and was born in the County Kildare, October 20, 1817. Came to the United States in 1840, settling in New York State, from there moved to Ohio and eventually to Illinois. In 1862 he enlisted in the One Hundred and Second Illinois Volunteer Infantry, serving until 1864, when he was honorably discharged. He was in the Army of the Tennessee, participated at the Lookout Mountain and other engagements. He came to Kansas, settling in Towanda Township in March, 1869, being one of the pioneers in that part. He was married in Ohio to Miss Z. Underwood. They have had eight children, two of whom are living - Mary E. and William M. Mr. And Mrs. Murry are closely identified with the Methodist Episcopal Church.
A. C. FRAZIER, contractor and plasterer, Towanda, is a native of Iowa, and was born in Henry County, April 22, 1846. Was there educated and reared. For several years Mr. F. was engaged in mercantile pursuits in El Dorado, Kan., where he located when that place was in its infancy; took up his abode in Towanda the spring of 1883.
J. R. RALSTON, farmer and stock raiser, Section 29, P. O. Towanda, located here in the spring of 1868. Mr. R. is a native of Ohio, and was born in Belmont County, February 4, 1849. For a number of years was a resident of Illinois, enlisting in 1864 in the Sixty-fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. Was with Sherman in the Atlanta campaign, serving until the close of the war. Mr. R. was married in Butler County, Kas., to Miss Ida M. Bennet. They have two children - Albert E., and Edna J. Mr. R. is a progressive agriculturist.
A. J. RALSTON, farmer and stock raiser, Section 17, P. O. Towanda, was born in Belmont County, Ohio, August 10, 1845; removed to Warren County, Ill., where he resided several years. In February, 1864, enlisted in Company I, Fiftieth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, serving until the close of the war. In January, 1868, came to Kansas in company with his brother, J. R., settling on the Whitewater close to Towanda, being among the first settlers in that part. Mr. R. is one of the solid farmers of the county. He has been Trustee of the Township and otherwise identified. Is a member of the G. A. R. He was married in Kansas to Miss Mary L. Stewart of this State.
D. RUSSELL, physician and druggist, was born at Frewsburg, near Jamestown, Chautauqua Co., N. Y., September 11, 1834. Received his early education at district and select schools, afterwards attending academy at Jamestown, during vacations teaching and reading medicine for three of four years; then attended Chamberlain Institute, Cattarangus County N. Y. After leaving college resumed the reading of medicine and study of pharmacy. After receiving a practical knowledge of the drug business, he engaged in the drug trade in Western New York and Pennsylvania, and occasionally practicing until coming to Kansas in 1875. The same fall on account of impaired health, went across the continent to California. Returned again to Kansas in the fall of 1876. Again resumed the drug business, and in 1879 received a certificate of the Kansas State Medical Examining Board to practice medicine in the State of Kansas. Has continued in the drug business and doing an office business in Towanda up to the present date.
HARRISON STEARNS, farmer, Section 8, P. O. Towanda, is a native of New York, and was born in Ontario County, January 23, 1820. Was educated and brought up in the Empire State. In 1856 came to Illinois, living for several years in Fulton and McDonough counties. In the spring of 1868 came to Butler County, Kansas, settling in Towanda Township, where he has since been prominent as an agriculturist. Mr. Stearns was married in New York, February 4, 1844, to Miss Amanda Russell. They have had three children - Abidallah, Wales and Florence. He and his wife and daughter are members of the Christian Church.
GEORGE SWIGGETT, farmer and stock raiser, Section 9, P. O. Towanda, was born in Casey County, Kentucky, October 20, 1826. He was principally reared and educated in Pike County, Ill., where he followed agricultural pursuits. In the fall of 1874 he came to Kansas and located where he now resides. He was married in Illinois, to Miss Mary H. Bryant. They have nine children - Andrew, Izora, Ella, Cecilia, Lilly, Jennie, George, William and Maud. He and his family are identified with the Methodist Episcopal Church.
J. W. TUCKER, farmer and stock raiser, Section 25, Murdock Township, P. O. Towanda, was born in Hartford, Conn., August 14, 1833. When twenty-one years of age he came West, settling in Joliet, Ill., where for a number of years he was identified with the hardware trade. He came to Towanda, Kansas, in the spring of 1870, engaging in agricultural pursuits, and was also identified with merchandising. He has the first mail contract between Towanda and Peabody. He was also one of the pioneers in Towanda, and sold the first hardware in the town. Although he has never been officially identified, Mr. Tucker has been one of the most active politicians in the county. He was the first Justice of the Peace in Towanda, being appointed by Gov. Harvey. In 1862 he enlisted in Company G, One Hundredth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. Participated in the battles of Chickamauga, Stone River and other engagements, and was discharged June 17, 1864. He is a member of the G. A. R., and a pensioner. He was married in Connecticut to Miss Maria Blake, of that State. By this union they have had four children - Mary, Lillie, Albert and Russel.
JOHN TURNER (deceased). The year of 1875 the subject of this sketch came to Kansas, locating in Towanda Township, which was his home up to the time of his demise, the spring of 1883. Mr. Turner was born in Grasmer, England; December 26, 1829. He learned the shoemaking trade in his native country, and in 1852 was married to Miss Agnes Cartmel, of Lancashire. In 1857 they emigrated to America, locating in Illinois, which was their home for eighteen years. The children born to Mr. And Mrs. T. were six in number - Lizzie, Hannah, Thomas, Belle, William and Jennie. Mr. T. was identified with the Church of England. He was one of the extensive wool growers of the county.
SIMON WAIT, farmer and stock raiser, Section 19, P. O. Towanda, is a native of New York, and was born in Montgomery County, January 5, 1817. When eighteen years of age he came to Ohio, which was his home several years, and from there to Illinois, living in Kane, Grundy, and other counties until the spring of 1871, when he became a resident of Kansas, being among the earlier settlers of this part of Butler County. Mr. W. has been twice married, first to Miss Louisa Goodspeed, of New York, now deceased. By this union has one son - Clark. His present wife was Miss Maria Denman, of Ohio. They have three children - Walter S., Wilber D. and Viola D.,, now Mrs. Miller.
W. D. WAIT, farmer and stock raiser, Section 19, P. O. Towanda, is a son of Simon Wait, and was born in Grundy County, Ill., in January 1857. He became a resident of Butler County, Kan., in the fall of 1871, having been a resident of Missouri for a time previous. Mr. W. was married in Butler County to Miss Sarah M. Priest. They have one daughter - Lottie.
W. C. WAIT, farmer and stock raiser Section 7, P. O. Towanda, located where he now resides in the spring of 1871. Mr. W. is a native of New York, and was born in Montgomery County, May 24, 1828. He lived in Ohio, Missouri and Illinois previous to coming to Kansas. Was married in Illinois to Miss Hannah Putnam. They have five children - Ida, Adair, Ella, Florence and Maggie. In 1862 Mr. W. enlisted in the One Hundred and Twenty-seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry, serving until the close of the war. Was mustered out as Sergeant.. Is a member of the G. A. R.
GEORGE W. WHITE, proprietor of the National Hotel, is a native of Michigan, and was born in Lapeer County, February 17, 1842. He was there partially reared and educated. For seventeen years he was a resident of Champaign County Ill., where he followed various pursuits. August 8, 1862, he enlisted in Company B, Fifty-first Illinois Volunteer Infantry, serving in the Army until August 8, 1865, when he was honorably discharged at Louisville, Ky. He participated in a number of general engagements in the Western Department. In 1870 he came to Kansas, settling at Neosho Falls, where he kept a hotel for five years. Was City Marshal for a few years, Police Judge, and otherwise officially identified. Was also a hotel keeper at Humboldt at different periods, going to El Dorado in the fall of 1882, where he was proprietor of the Union hotel until coming to Towanda. Mr. White has for several years been engaged in the show business. During the season of 1882 he traveled through the West exhibiting the mammoth Kansas heifer, the Queen. He has been in the hotel trade since coming to Towanda, in the spring of 1883. Mr. White's wife was formerly Miss Drusilla Holmes. They have five children living - Mary E., P. A., C. K., Margaret A. and George F.
Andover is a live little town of five stores and a population of 150. It is located on the St. Louis & San Francisco Railway, twelve miles west of Augusta and about the same distance east of Wichita. The land upon which it stands was entered by E. Wagner, but later sold to Charles Glancy, who, in December, 1880, laid out the town. The first building on the town site was the store and residence of G. W. Harrison; the second the store of John Bayless. The first birth in the new town was that of a daughter of G. W. Harrison; the first marriage Joseph Haden and Matilda Riddle; the first death is as yet an event of the future. The first hotel was completed in 1881, by J. C. Lines, who still runs it.
Soon after the erection of the first building of the town, the postoffice, which has been located a short distance from town, was moved in, and the present Postmaster, G. W. Harrison, appointed.
In 1875, prior to the laying out of Andover, a wooden district school was built at a point near where the town now stands. Upon the birth of the town it was decided to move the school to that point. This was done and a fine schoolhouse, of which the old building forms the L, erected at a cost of $2,000. This work was completed in 1882, and the building occupied that fall. The school now has enrolled eighty-six scholars and is in charge of Prof. Haskin.
The Methodist Episcopal Church of Andover was organized at the Richland schoolhouse in 1884, by the Rev. Mr. Fry. The first regular pastor was Rev. S. M. McKibbon. The membership was small at first, but has now increased to about forty. A neat frame building was erected by the society in 1881-82, at a cost of #1,700. There is a flourishing Sunday school connected with the church.
Presbyterian Society.--This society is recently organized and has as yet no church edifice, although one is in process of construction. Meantime services are held in the schoolhouse.
F. L. AYRES, farmer and stock raiser, Section 12, P. O. Augusta, is a native of Illinois, and was born in LaSalle County., August 10, 1844; was educated, reared and resided in his native State until coming to Kansas in the fall of 1871, at which time he located where he now resides. Mr. A. is one of the solid farmers of Bruno Township. He was married in Illinois to Miss Elizabeth Gunn. They have five children - Lottie, Stella, Warren, Milton and Jessie.
WILLIAM H. CHACE, farmer and stock raiser, Section 23, P. O. Lorena, was born in Niagara County N. Y., near Lockport, August 7, 1838, and was there educated and reared. In August, 1862, he enlisted in the One Hundred and Fifty-first New York Volunteer Infantry, serving nearly three years. He was married in Columbia County N. Y., to Miss Anna M. Shufelt. They have five children - Charles C., Frank, Ira, Ida and William H. Mr. C. came to Butler County and located where he now resides, in December, 1877, and was joined by his family in the spring of 1878.
S. H. CHACE, Postmaster and station agent, Lorena, is a carriagemaker by trade; he was born in Columbia County, N. Y., July 6, 1815, and was reared on a farm in his native county. Removing to New York City, he engaged in mercantile pursuits for ten years, after which he came to Michigan, residing at Coldwater and Sturgis Prairie; at the latter place for a number of years he was engaged at his trade in manufacturing carriages. The spring of 1872, Mr. C. located in Kansas, where he now resides and engaged in agricultural pursuits. When the St. L. & S. F. R. R. was surveyed, a town site was laid out on his farm. Mr. C. contributes amply toward making it a point of importance, but owing to the town of Andover being laid out a few miles west, it has had a disastrous effect on the town of Lorena. Mr. C. was married in Niagara County, N. Y., to Miss Julia A. Reynolds. They have one daughter - Lorena, now Mrs. D. J. Reber. Mr. C. named the station in honor of his daughter. The subject of this sketch has been a Mason for over forty years. He has been identified with the school and other matters of his district.
N. R. CHANCE, farmer and stock raiser, Section 35, P. O. Augusta, is a native on Indiana, and was born in Grant County, February 9, 1844. For a number of years was a resident of Lucas County, Iowa, coming from there to Kansas in 1875. Mr. C. is one of the solid farmers of Bruno Township. He was married in Lucas County, Iowa, to Miss Mary E. McKnight. They have two children - Mackey T. and Charlie C.
VAN GILMORE, farmer and stock raiser, Section 5, and dealer in livestock and coal, P. O. Andover, is a native of Indiana, and was born in Madison County, March 16, 1838; was educated and reared in his native State. He came to Kansas in the spring of 1871, settling on Section 5, Bruno Township, being among the first in this locality. For the past few years has been identified with the commercial interests of Andover in connection with carrying on his farm. Mr. Gilmore was married, in Indiana, to Miss Caroline Wagner. They have four children living - Clara, Maurice, Van E. and Eveline M. Oliver M., the eldest, died in the spring of 1882, aged fifteen years. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
G. W. HARRISON, Postmaster and dealer in general merchandise, is a native of Illinois, and was born in Marion County, October 24, 1845; was educated and reared in his native State. At an early age he applied his efforts in preparing for the ministry, and soon after attaining his majority was licensed as a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church. His labors in Illinois were on the Shobiner and Ramsey circuits. During the war Mr. Harrison served one year in the Sixth Illinois Volunteers. In November, 1873, he came to Kansas, settling in Wichita; the following spring came to Richland Township, Butler County, and under the supervision of the Southern Kansas Conference presided over the respective circuits of El Paso one year, Augusta one year, Douglass two years, and for a few years was supernumerary of the Richland and Benton charges. While a resident of Richland was appointed Postmaster at that point. In 1880 he came to Andover and erected the first building in the place, which he used as a store and through his efforts secured the postoffice. He opened his store March 5, and established the postoffice April 18 of that year. He has added to his original building and now has a storeroom which will compare favorably with any in the country. Is at present Notary Public. Mr. H. has done much towards the religious and educational developments in Andover. He was married, in Illinois, to Miss Belle Schumacher, of that State. They have four children - Benjamin T., Rosa B., Walter and Minnie M.
JOHN JACK, farmer and stock raiser, Section 24, P. O. Augusta, is a native of Scotland and was born in Greenock-on-Clyde, about fifty-seven years ago. He became a resident of the United States in 1868, having resided in Canada for a number of years previous to that time. In 1871, Mr. Jack came to Butler County, locating where he now resides, being among the early settlers of Bruno Township. He was married, in Kansas, to Miss Mary C. Pricer. They have two children, Robert J. and Alta M.
JOHN S. McKINLEY, farmer and stock raiser, Section 23, P. O. Lorena, is a native of West Virginia and was born in Wood County, March 4, 1841; was there educated and reared. He came to Kansas in 1869, locating at Girard, residing for a few years, going from there to California, which was his home for a time. In 1880, he became a resident of Butler County. Mr. McK. was married, in West Virginia, to Miss Amanda Cambden, sister of Senator J. N. Cambden, of that State. They have three children - Virginia, Caroline and Johnson N. Politically Mr. McK. is a Democrat. At present is a Justice of the Peace. Is a member of the I. O. O. F.
ISAAC NELSON, farmer and stock raiser, Section 12, P. O. Augusta, is a native of Dutchess County, N. Y., and was born May 4, 1830. When twenty-four years of age came to Grundy County, Ill., where he was engaged in farming until the spring of 1878, when he became a resident of Butler County, Kan. He was married, in New York, to Miss Lavina J. Merritt. They have two sons, Merritt A. and George W.
C. A. TRICK & CO., merchants, Andover. This merchandise emporium was established in the spring of 1880 by Mr. C. A. Trick, who is one of the representative business men of the place. Mr. T. was born in Chicago, Ill., Nov. 10, 1858, was educated and resided in that city until coming to Kansas. Was married in Chicago to Miss Charlotta Jones. They have two children, Percy and Clark. Mr. A. A. Munn, the junior member of the firm, is a native of Illinois, and was born in Chicago October 20, 1857. For several years he was in the employ of Messrs. G. F. Foster & Co. Mr. M. came to Andover in the autumn of 1882.
W. H. WATSON, farmer and stock raiser, Section 13, P. O. Augusta, is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in Bucks County, October 16th, 1842. Was reared and educated in that State. During the late Rebellion he was a First Sergeant in the One Hundred and Fourth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, serving three years, principally in the army of the Potomac. In the spring of 1870 Mr. W. came to Kansas, settling where he now resides, his being one of the first farms opened in that part. Has since been identified among the substantial farmers. He was married in Kansas to Miss Eva A. Melick. They have three children, Lorrie J., Lena M. and Lillian. Mr. W. is a member of the G. A. R.