|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
ROBERT DAWSON, of Dawson & Mann, merchants, was born in Warren County, Ill., February 26, 1849, and came to Kansas, locating on the Osage River, Allen County, with his father, Miles B. Dawson, who took up a homestead. The subject of our sketch returned to Warren County, Ill., after a brief stay here of six months. There he remained some eighteen months, employed in the manufacture of brick. He was also for some time in the States of Colorado and Arkansas. About 1877 he engaged in agricultural pursuits in Allen County, and was engaged in that capacity until October 1, 1881, when he embarked in general merchandise business at Moran, with a stock of about $500. The business increased rapidly, and in February, 1883 he admitted Daniel G. Mann as a partner. The firm have a fine trade, to supply the demands of which they carry a stock of $4,000 to $5,000. Daniel G. Mann of this firm, was born in Clark County, Ill., in 1853. He has for twenty-three years been a resident of Allen County.
JOHN EASTWOOD, contractor and builder, was born at Berry, Genesee Co., N. Y., May 1, 1832, and learned the carpenter trade at Angelica, Allegheny County, at the age of fourteen years. He then followed it as a journeyman and contractor, in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan and Wisconsin. He came to Kansas February 12, 1866, locating in Deer Creek Township, Allen County. He worked as a builder, etc., there and at Iola, for some nine years. He then purchased a farm in Woodson County, where he carried on business as a contractor and builder for a short time. Returning East he followed the same business in Ashtabula County, Ohio, until October, 1879, when he again came West to Kansas. He followed building in this and Anderson County, and in August of 1882 he moved to this place, since which time he has conducted quite a nice business in his line. He has had a practical experience of over thirty years as a builder.
DR. ELAM B. ELLIS, was born in Adams County, Ohio, and is about thirty-eight years of age. He was reared on a farm in Appanoose County, Iowa. He began the study of medicine with Dr. G. P. Smith, in that county, and also attended the Iowa State University, where he graduated in the spring of 1867. He then taught school in Appanoose and Davis counties, and continued his medical studies. He came to Kansas in 1870, located in Butler County, where he took up a claim and resided there some two years. Moving to Anderson County he followed agricultural pursuits and also traveled through the State lecturing on theology and science. In July, 1876, he moved to Linn County, where he practiced two years, then in Ozark, Anderson County, where he practiced and carried on a drug business. In April, 1882, he moved his stock of drugs to this place, continuing business in that line in connection with his practice. The doctor is also about to engage in the real estate and loan business.
JOHATHAN E. HOBBY, dealer in groceries and queens ware, was born March 5, 1848, and reared on a farm. He came to Kansas April 18, 1872, and was for four and one-half years employed as a clerk in mercantile business at Fort Scott, after which he traveled in New York, Colorado and the Black Hills, for about a year. Returning to Fort Scott, he opened in company with R. F. Wilcox a marble factory. A year later they moved the business to Beloit, Kan., and after continuing there for two years Mr. Hobby sold out his interest to his partner. In October, 1880, he went to Colorado, remained only a short time, then for a few months carried on grocery business at Fort Scott. He came to Moran in March, 1882, and embarked in his present business.
JOHN HONSTEAD, contractor and builder, was born at Van Wert, Ohio, in 1851, and reared on a farm. At the age of nineteen years he learned the trade of carpenter, and followed it in that locality until the fall of 1879, when he came to Kansas. Mr. H. located in Neosho County. He was for a year employed at his trade in Chanute, after which he farmed for a year or more. On February 4, 1882, he came to Moran, and at once embarked in business as a contractor and builder. He built the public schoolhouse at this place, and many of the principal business houses and residences. He has had a practical experience in business of thirteen years.
NEWELL SOUTHARD, dealer in furniture, groceries, grain and coal, is a native of Fairfax, Franklin Co., Vt. He was employed for many years in railroading. He was conductor for one year, and general freight agent at Columbus, Ohio, for the C., C. & C. R. R. Co., for four years, and general agent five years. Was for two years general freight agent for the Logansport & Burlington Railroad, at Logansport, Ind. After which he moved to La Crosse, Wis., where he was for twelve years employed in the manufacture of lumber. In the spring of 1880 he came to Kansas, and located at Clarksburg, Bourbon County, where he engaged in the coal business. In February, 1882, he removed to this point, and at once opened his present establishment. He buys and ships grain quite extensively.
W. J. STEELE, dealer in hardware, stoves, tin ware, etc., was born in Waveland, Montgomery Co., Ind., February 27, 1853. In August, 1868, he came to Allen County, Kan., and for four years resided on a farm in Geneva Township. He then took up his residence near the city of Iola, and taught district schools in this county for about seven years, after which he was for one year employed as a clerk in a hardware house at Iola. On January, 2, 1882, Mr. Steele embarked in his present business, with a stock of about $600. His trade has gradually improved, and he has now invested in stock about $1,800. He also has a general repairing shop in connection with his hardware establishment, and is the only merchant in this line at this place.
MATHEWS BROTHERS, dealers in general merchandise. The firm is composed of Lewis D. and Thomas A. Mathews. They established the business February 14, 1882, with a stock of about $1,500. In June following they erected a handsome stone building and now carry a stock of about $5,000, to supply the demands of their trade. They also deal extensively in grain. Both brothers were born in Yadkin County, N. Y. The eldest, Lewis D., on August 17, 1855, and Thomas A. on July 12, 1859. They came to Kansas in 1868, with their father, William Mathews, who still resides on his farm, in Deer Creek Township, Allen County, where the boys were brought up. They are active, enterprising young men.
DAVID H. MITCHELL, dealer in lumber, building materials, etc., was born in Warren County, Mo., March 15, 1846, and raised on a farm. He enlisted March 18, 1862, in Company D, Third Missouri Cavalry, serving three years, eighteen months of which period he served as a musician. He came to Kansas in the fall of 1867, locating in Miami County, near Paola, where he farmed for three years, then in same capacity in Franklin County for three years, again in Miami County for six years. In August, 1881, he moved to this place and on March 30, 1882, engaged in his present business with a stock of about $2,000, which has since been doubled to supply the demands of his trade. Mr. Mitchell was the first business man to locate at this place and open an establishment.
ANDREW L. BAIR, farmer, Section 34, P. O. Bronson, Bourbon County, was born in Warren County, Ill., December 9, 1833, and reared on a farm. At eighteen years of age he went west to California, where he followed mining pursuits for some six years, after which he returned east to Wayne County, Iowa, and followed agricultural pursuits there until 1865, when he moved to Illinois. In the fall of 1866 he came to Allen County, Kansas, and homesteaded 160 acres in Osage Township, which he improved and resided on until January, 1882, when he sold and moved onto his present farm, which consists of 160 acres, well improved. He was Treasurer of the Osage School District for five years.
WILLIAM CULBERTSON, farmer, Section 5, P. O. Bronson, Bourbon County, was born in Ireland, December, 1846; came to America in 1854, and resided with his parents in New Jersey and Knox County, Ill. In the spring of 1868, he came to Allen County, Kansas, and has since resided in this township. He has now about 500 acres of land, 150 of which are in cultivation. His main business is raising livestock in which he is quite extensively engaged. He has on his place about five acres of orchard. Mr. Culbertson was married in Allen County, in August, 1873, to Rachel M. Rogers, who died in the spring of 1879, leaving one daughter, Alice.
ADOLPH E. FEHLEISEN, farmer, Section 34, P. O. Moran, was born while his parents were crossing the Atlantic Ocean from Germany, in 1840, and was reared in Ripley County Ind., where he learned the trade of carpenter. During the war he served as a soldier from July 14, 1861, until August 22, 1864, participating in the engagements of Pea Ridge, Corinth, Stone River and others. After the war he settled in Cincinnati, Ohio, where he carried on business as a contractor and builder; was also for a short time in New York, and one year in San Francisco, Cal. He came to Allen County, Kansas, in September, 1878, and located on his present farm which consists of 320 acres, all finely improved. He has quite a nice orchard and is an extensive stock raiser. Mr. F. had charge of Fairlawn post office two years and was Clerk of the township for one year. He was treasurer of Moran Cemetery Association and is now secretary of that body, and is also Treasurer of the School District, No. 54.
GEORGE McLAUGHLIN, farmer, Section 8, P. O. Moran, was born in Brown County, Ohio, May 12, 1835, and reared on a farm. In 1866 he moved to Jackson County, Mo., where he farmed until 1869, when he came to Kansas, locating in Brown County; he followed agricultural pursuits. In September, 1871, he came to Allen County, and located on his present farm. He has now 480 acres of land, 200 of which are in cultivation. He is a large and extensive raiser of livestock, and also has on his place a fine orchard of about six acres. Mr. McLaughlin is one of the representative farmers of this county. He was married in Brown County, Ohio, in 1860, to Abbey J. Pickerill. They have a family of nine children.
JOSEPH G. NORTON, farmer, Section 34, P. O. Moran, was born at Castine, Hancock Co., Me., in 1824. He learned the trade of shoemaker at Braintree, Mass., and was employed at it in that State for some twenty-six years; also for about four years near Cincinnati, Ohio. He came to Allen County, Kansas, in March, 1872, and located on his present farm. He has in all 323 acres of land, all improved. Has on his place a fine orchard and five acres of forest trees. He is quite an extensive farmer, and cultivates 125 acres of his farm and raises considerable livestock. Mr. Norton has for six years been Treasurer of his School District. He is one of the enterprising men of his locality, and is assisted in his business by his son, Clarence J.
JAMES H. ROSS, P. O. Moran, money to loan, was born at Bridgewater, Vt., in 1817, and was reared on a farm. In the year 1832, he moved with his parents to Medina County, Ohio, where he resided five years, then in Philadelphia, Pa., employed five years in a spruceroot bee, and ginger pop factory, after which he moved to Tazewell County, Ill., where he followed agriculture, buying and selling cattle five years, and in the same capacity in Shelby County, Mo. In February, 1862, he enlisted in Missouri State Militia; served eighteen months. In 1864 moved to Hancock County, Ill., and two years after to LaCrosse, Wis., where for twelve years he followed the logging and lumber business. Mr. Ross came to Kansas in October, 1878, locating in Osage Township, Allen County, where he farmed and bought and sold stock, in company with his son, William A. Ross, and in the fall of 1882 moved to Moran. He has a farm of sixty acres adjoining the town site, and another of 160 acres north of it.
JOHN N. SAPP, farmer, Section 5, P. O. Bronson, Bourbon County, was born at Circleville, Pickaway Co., Ohio, August 16, 1840. There he learned the trade of tinner. On August 11, 1862, he enlisted in Company B, One Hundred and Fourteenth Ohio Infantry, and served until July, 1865. He then moved to Oneida, Knox Co., Ill., where he engaged in stove and tinware business, carrying it on for three years. He came to Allen County, Kansas, in November, 1868, and located on his present farm. He has in all 400 acres, 130 of which are in cultivation and considerable in forest and fruit trees, besides which he raises, to a large extent, live stock. During his residence at this place he was also for three years employed as a tinner at Humboldt. Mr. Sapp has been Treasurer of this Township for the past four years. He was married at Oneida, Ill., in the fall of 1867, to Rebecca Culbertson. They have three children.
DR. ALBERT A. ALLEN, farmer, Section 21, P. O. Ozark, Anderson County, was born in Seneca County, N. Y., in 1824, and when young his parents moved to Summit County, Ohio, and latter to Wisconsin. He studied medicine at Whitewater, Wis., with Drs. Clark & Rice. The Doctor began the practice of medicine in 1849, at Zanesville, Ill. In 1852 he removed to California, and practiced there in the mining country for four years. Returning east he located in Illinois and continued his practice in Greene and Jersey counties. He came to Kansas in June, 1859, and located on his present farm. His homestead consists of 160 acres, all highly improved, 130 of which are under cultivation, and has also a fine orchard. The Doctor continues to practice his profession in connection with his agricultural pursuits.
ROBERT E. BRAY, farmer, Section 7, P. O. Moran, was born in Jefferson County, Ind., August 11, 1854, and a few years later came to Kansas with his father E. C. Bray, who resided one year in Bourbon County, then moved to Osage Township, Allen County, where he continued to farm until his death, in May, 1871. The subject of our sketch has followed agricultural pursuits on his own account for the past seven years, and located on his present farm in 1881. He has 160 acres improved, with nice residence and farm buildings. Mr. B. was married in Allen County, Kan., in 1877, to Hannah M. Frederickson, who died in May, 1881, leaving one son - Albert L. He was married a second time at this place in January, 1883, to Mattie McCoy.
DEMAS D. BRITTON, farmer, Section 20, P. O. Ozark, Anderson County, was born at Terre Haute, Ind., February 16, 1839. At the age of sixteen, he removed to Clay County, that State, and was employed in general farm work. In April, 1861, he enlisted in the Tenth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served three months. He re-enlisted in the Eleventh Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Company D, in August, 1862. He was wounded September 19, 1864, at Winchester, Va., in the side of the head; taken prisoner and held for twenty days. He served until the war closed, after which he again followed agricultural pursuits in Clay County. Mr. Britton came to Allen County in November, 1866, and located on his present farm, which consists of 170 acres, all improved. On his place is a fine orchard of about four acres, and he breeds considerable stock. He was married in Clay County, Ind., October 16, 1866, to Coatney A. Pate. They have a family of five children.
JOHN J. CLOSE, dealer in live stock, Section 27, P. O. Ozark, Anderson County, was born in Jersey County, Ill., September 4, 1831, and assisted his father, who was engaged in supplying wood for manufacturing purposes, fuel, etc., in the St. Louis Market. At seventeen years of age, he began to work on a farm, and followed that occupation for five years, after which he embarked in mercantile business, in company with W. W. Felter, at Fielding, that county, with whom he continued in partnership for about four years; was then in same business, in company with Peter Felter, at Otter Creek Landing, and during that period also did an extensive business in shipping grain and lumber to St. Louis, Mo., for three years. In 1862, he sold out at Otter Creek Landing and purchased the merchandise stock of W. W. Felter, at Fielding, continuing that business until November, 1863, when he ceased, and embarked in live stock business in firm of Buzby, Evans & Close, and while in that firm he went to California, returning East in May, 1865, with a drove of horses, which he disposed of in Utah, where he engaged in general speculation until May, 1866, when he returned home to Illinois. He was then employed in managing a mercantile business in Jersey County until April, 1867, when he once more engaged in live stock business. He came to Kansas in September, 1867, on a prospecting tour, and in April, 1868, located on his present farm in Allen County. He has, in all, some 340 acres, all improved, 220 acres of which are in cultivation and 11 acres in orchard. Mr. Close is an extensive feeder and raiser of live stock. He was Clerk of his School District for nine years, and served two years as Treasurer of the township.
ABRAM DONICA, farmer, Section 19, P. O. Ozark, was born in Vigo County, Ind., May 13, 1838, and reared on a farm. In 1856 he moved to McLean County, Ill., and engaged in agricultural pursuits. On September 5, 1861, he enlisted in Company G, Fourth Illinois Cavalry, was appointed Sergeant, and promoted to Second Lieutenant in November, 1862, to First Lieutenant October 9, 1864, and to Captain March 2, 1865, serving until discharged, June 18, 1866. Mr. D. came to Allen County, Kan., in September, 1866, and located on his present farm. He purchased at that time 153 acres, and has now 343, all improved. On his place is a fine residence and an orchard of two acres, and he raises considerable stock. He was Trustee of the township in 1874 and 1875, and has filled several other local offices. The subject of this sketch was married in Allen County, Kan., May 23, 1867, to Miss Tabitha Mann. Their family consists of four children.
EDWARD G. GILBERT, farmer, Section 21, P. O. Ozark, Anderson County, was born in Harrison County, W. Va., in 1832. In 1850 he moved to Champaign County, Ohio, where he was employed in general farm work. In the fall of 1860 he came to Allen County, Kan., and purchased his farm, but only remained a short time, returning to his home in Ohio. During the war he served in Company F, One Hundred and Thirty-fourth Ohio National Guards, and was from the 2nd of May, 1864, until August 31, in the United States service. In December, 1865, he returned to Allen County, and has since resided in this township. He has 320 acres of land, one half of which are under cultivation. Also has a fine orchard, and is an extensive raiser of live stock, which is his main business. He was Treasurer of this township for three years. Mr. Gilbert was married in Allen County, Kan., August 19, 1866, to Mary E. Tucker, and they have a family of five children.
ABRAM F. HOFFMAN, farmer, Section 30, P. O. Ozark, Anderson County, was born in Somerset County, Pa., October 19, 1836. At sixteen years of age he moved to near Dayton, Ohio, and was employed in farming. During the war he served one hundred days in the Ohio National Guard. In October, 1870, he came to Kansas and located on his present farm. He has 320 acres, of which 100 acres are in cultivation and three acres in orchard. He is also an extensive raiser of live stock, and is one of the representative farmers of the township. Mr. Hoffman was elected Treasurer of Osage Township, in February, 1882, and again in 1883. He is also Treasurer of his school district.
WILLIAM RIGGS, farmer, Section 36, P. O. Ozark, was born in Warren County, Ill., September 20, 1838. Reared on a farm, and after reaching manhood farmed on his own account. He came to Kansas in March, 1873, and located on his present farm in Allen County, which consists of 320 acres, all improved, 150 of which are in cultivation. He has a good orchard on his place, and in 1882 built a very fine residence. Mr. R. is quite an extensive stock-raiser, and is one of the enterprising farmers of this county. In the spring of 1882 he was elected Trustee of the township, and served one term.
JAMES STAINBROOK, farmer, Section 33, P. O. Bronson, Bourbon County, was born in Muskingum County, Ohio, August 26, 1832, and was reared on a farm. In 1867 he moved West, to Moultrie County, Ill., and October 1, 1869, came to Bourbon County, Kan. Resided for a short time near Uniontown, Bourbon County, and in March, 1871, came to Allen County and located on this farm. He has in all 240 acres, all finely improved, and is largely engaged in raising live stock. He has also a nice orchard of about three acres, and has built himself a good residence. His farm is divided off with stone fences, with a never-failing spring in his pasture.
ROBERT STANLEY, farmer, Section 34, P. O. Ozark, Anderson County, was born in Warren County, Ohio, November 8, 1829, and reared in Clinton County on a farm, where he also carried on quite an extensive farm on his own account. He came to Allen County, Kan., November 14, 1868, and located on his present farm, which he entered as a homestead in 1869. He owns in the county 640 acres, 240 are in his residence farm, which is finely improved, and on which there is a splendid residence and an orchard of about five acres. He is an extensive dealer in live stock, and is one of the leading men of this township.
EDMUND D. WOLF, farmer, Section 34, P. O. Xenia, Bourbon County, was born at Athens, Ohio, December 30, 1806; there he learned the trade of tanner. In 1833, he moved to Porter County, Ind., where he followed agricultural pursuits; there he also built large flour mills, and carried them on for six years. In October, 1868, he came to Kansas, and located in Woodson County, where he farmed for some four years, after which he moved to Allen County, and located on his present farm. Mr. Wolf is a large and extensive farmer; he owns in this county 400 acres of land, and 200 in Bourbon County. He cultivates 200 acres of his property, and raises large quantities of live stock. He is one of the leaders in this section of country.
S. S. KIRKHAM, carpenter and builder, P. O. Savensburg, was born in Van Buren County, Iowa, in 1843, and was reared and educated in Illinois, received his education at Rushville. At the breaking out of the war, he enlisted in Company G, Missouri Home Guards, and did service in it until January, 1862, was honorably discharged. He then re-enlisted in Company C, Twelfth Kansas Infantry, and did active service in that until the end of the war, when he was honorably discharged as Second Lieutenant, Company C. After the war he went to California, his people having located there in 1864. He carried on mining for a few years, returning to Kansas and marrying in 1870, when re returned to California and carried on mining until 1873, when he came back and located at Louisburg, Kan., and carried on contracting and building until 1878, when he located in Hepler, Kan., and carried on a lumber trade until February, 1883. He married in Paola, Kan., June 1, 1870, Miss Lizzie Miller, who was born in Cole County, Mo., and reared in Miami County, Kan. They have a family of four daughters - Minnie, Ethel, Flora and Fannie. The family are members of the Christian Church. He is a member of Hepler Post, G. A. R., No. 143. His farm contains 160 acres in Section 32, Elsinore Township, Allen County, of improved land, well fenced and watered, and stocked, good buildings, and an orchard of 350 trees of nicely assorted fruits, besides has 1,000 forest trees.