Shawnee -- Quantrill Visits Shawnee -- Lenexa -- Aubry -- Stilwell -- Stanley -- Merriam -- Bonita -- Morse -- Ocheltree -- Monticello -- Wilder -- Kenneth -- Choteau -- Switzer -- Lackman -- Craig -- Zarah -- Holliday -- Oxford.
The lovers of Kansas history will always find in the pretty little town of Shawnee, situated one mile west of Merriam, Kan., something of interest. It is a beautiful place, and a few business houses are built around the square in which are growing shade trees that invite you to a welcome rest. The history of Johnson county could not be written without Shawnee being prominently mentioned. It was at one time the county seat of Johnson county, and at two different times, 1862 and 1864, the town was sacked by guerillas under Quantrill. James Campbell, of Merriam, lived there at the time and witnessed the destruction of the town. Thirteen houses were burned each time beside the loss by pillage, and destruction of lives. A street car line from Merriam., Kan., running through a beautiful grove, takes you to this quiet retreat so full of romance and history and as one wanders about the town, house after house built back in the '50's and '60's can be discovered. Many of the modern houses in the vicinity contain a part at least of some of the stone or brick residences of the earlier days.
Shawnee contained a larger population before the war than at the present time. It is not now an incorporated city, and has no police force The residents of the town being so law-abiding and peaceful none is needed. What a contrast to the time when eight saloons sold liquor here to Indians and whites alike. And this little town, without an organization, too, has one of the strongest and best directed banks in the county, the Shawnee Savings Bank, incorporated in 1908 with a capital stock of $10,000 and a $5,000 surplus and deposits of $90,000, president, R. O. Larsen; vice-president, L. L. McShane; C. Nieman, cashier; C. M. Watson, assistant. The town has three general merchandise stores and one exclusive dry goods store and one hardware store. It has a nice school building with three rooms and an enrollment of 115. The Methodists have a strong organization under the supervision of Rev. F. E. Modden and a membership of 105. Two years ago the Methodist Sunday school celebrated the fiftieth anniversary. Father T. P. Schwam is the head of the Catholic church here. He has a fine church with strong membership. Up to two years ago a parochial school was maintained here, the school being the oldest one in the State.
The first settlement was made here August 10, 1857, by J. D. Allen. Other early settlers were Richard Williams, William Holmes, J. T. Rowland, W. B. Maupin and A. W. Wear.
Shawnee derived its name from the Shawnee Indians, who lived here on the reservation at the time of the white settlements. The district court met here in 1857. All the county officers resided here at that time and the town was known as Gum Springs. J. D. Allen was appointed justice of the peace by the commissioners in 1857 and held the position for many years.
Timothy Keeser and Martha Patton were married September 9, 1857, the first marriage in the town. The first death, that of Mrs. W. B. Maupin, was in July, 1858. The same year the first school was organized here and was held in an old Indian meeting house. A school building was erected in 1866 near the southwest corner of the public square. In September, 1857, Rev. William Holmes preached the first sermon in the town. A church was built many years prior to the location of the town, called the Shawnee Indian Methodist Episcopal Church, South.
A postoffice was established here in 1858, and M. P. Randall was appointed postmaster. The present postmaster is Benjamin F. Hollenback, who was first appointed to the place in 1867 by President Andrew Johnson, and with the exception of two terms when Grover Cleveland was President, has held the office ever since. In Mr. Hollenback's own words, "I was removed then for being an offensive partisan." The postoffice is now located in the northeast corner of the square and Mr. Hollenback and wife have nicely furnished living quarters in the back part of the same building. Mr. Hollenback was born in Kendall county, Illinois, in 1836, was married to Catherine Brown in 1854 and has seven children. He first located in Olathe township about four miles
east of town and was there when Quantrill raided Olathe in 1864. He heard the gunshot that killed Frank Cook, a young man who enlisted a short time before in the Twelfth Kansas. It was about midnight when Quantrill's men passed by his place and Mr. Hollenback heard them coming. His house was almost one-fourth mile from the road and one of Quantrill's men began to tear the boards off the fence to go through when one of the men called, "Come on, G--- d---- it, there aint no one lives there; it's an old abandoned house." Mr. Hollenback's corn field was close by his house and he kept secreted until they had passed. Mrs. Hollenback and their children were there at the time.
Mr. Hollenback engaged in business with Thomas Archer, in 1865, at Shawnee. A year later they dissolved partnership and Mr. Hollenback continued in business alone. He knew the Indians well and recalls Chief Bluejacket, Graham Rogers, Lazarus Flint and others. He sold the Indians a great deal of merchandise and they were good pay. He says they came, picked out what they wished and paid for it without dickering. Many of them were like their white brothers in spending their money as fast as they received it, and oftentimes, before. He says Chief Bluejacket and quite a number of other Indians belonged to Shawnee Lodge, No. 54, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and he remembers when Chief Bluejacket was initiated. At a certain part of the ceremony, he made a very long and fervent prayer, and tears rolled down his cheeks. These Indians wore their hair trimmed in the same style as the white men. In August, 1862, Mr. Hollenback enlisted in Company H. Twelfth Kansas infantry, and served until July, 1865. He was on the board of county commissioners for two years, being elected in 1867. He is well fixed in a financial way, and at the age of four score, he and his estimable wife are enjoying the well-earned competence which is theirs.
Patrick McAnany lives three-fourths of a mile north of Shawnee on one of the fine improved farms for which this township is famous. Mr. McAnany was born in Ireland in 1839, and came to this country in 1848, and to Shawnee, Kan., in 1858. He was married to Helen Mansfield in 1869, in Kansas City, Mo. Mr. McAnany lived with a Shawnee Indian, David Daugherty, many years, and has a fund of most interesting history of the early days to relate. He says, as do all the others who were intimately acquainted with the Shawnees, that they were a fine people, intelligent and honest. The only objection he had to them, said he, was the way they cooked. He just couldn't like their cooking. "How did they cook their meat?" was asked of him, and he replied: "Well, I don't know as you would call it cooked. They would roast it before the fire until it was partly done, then eat the part cooked and roast it again, continuing this until the piece was finished." The greatest season of rejoicing among these people though was when the corn of the little field had reached the roasting stage. Then these people would gather the corn, tie the ears together by the husks, put
some forks in the ground, lay poles across them and hang the corn on the poles, under which they would build fires. When the corn was roasted properly they would take the corn and cut it from the cobs and spread it out on buffalo robes, deerskin or other hides, to dry. The Indian went barefoot and the fact that their bare feet came in contact with the corn made no difference as to its toothsomeness. After the corn was dried it was put away in bags made of hides and kept dry until such time as it was needed for food. Their fields were small, from one to four acres in extent. The corn that was not dried was kept for
meal, and until a mill was built each family desiring this luxury made its own meal by burning out a hollow in a stump. In this hollow they would put some corn, and with a wooden maul, almost four feet long, would pound or churn it until it was the proper fineness for bread.
When they got their pay from the Government, which was once a year, in the fall, the payment was made at the council house, and those to whom the Indians were indebted were there at desks, ready to receive their money as soon as the Indians got theirs. The Indians carried their money in big handkerchiefs, tied around their neck, and the pay of each one as his name was called was put in his handkerchief. Then he passed
down the line to his creditors, and each took out the amount due him, which usually was plenty, no doubt, and often there was nothing left for "Poor Lo," when he had visited the last one. Mr. McAnany received $16.00 per month while working for the Indians and Mrs. Daugherty each month, would hand him the exact amount tied up in a sack. This he gave back to her to keep for him, and when she died he had about $200 of his money put away in the sacks that he had saved. After she died he worked for a Mr. Wilkerson & Knapp, who kept a general store, groceries, dry goods, boots, shoes, etc. He worked for them until Mr. Wilkerson was killed by the Indians. There were eight to ten saloons there at this time and Wilkerson with others had been drinking and one of the Indians who was also drunk killed him. Wilkerson did not sell whiskey. Mr. McAnany could speak the Shawnee language and was an interpreter at one time. Asked in regard to their songs, if any, he said there was no sense or words, really, to them. The only musical instrument, if it should be called musical, was a sort of drum, made by stretching a hide over a hoop, which was struck with the hands or sticks. The Shawnees were educated too highly to indulge in the dances that many of the other tribes were accustomed to give, yet there was some sort of chants, given at times, which he could not interpret. Mr. McAnany was on several hunting trips out West, near Junction City, with the Indians, and he said meat of most any kind was welcome, even to prairie dogs and skunks, the latter tasting excellent to a half-famished man. Said he: "When you get hungry you can eat anything." He says he has seen buffalo wallows so deep that if filled with water, would drown a man. They were made by the buffaloes using their horns and pawing the dust until they made a nice bed in which to wallow, which desire was no doubt caused by an itching of the skin. The buffalo meat was smoked and dried, no salt being used. It made little difference, said Mr. McAnany, if a few bugs or crawlers did get into it. and "Eggs," said he, "I never could like eggs the way the Indians ate them. The fact that the chick had begun to form did not keep the Indian from using the balance of this great delicacy. They simply threw the chick away and used the balance of the egg, and seemed to prefer their eggs in that condition." Mr. McAnany saw the real thing in war service and carries the proof with him. He doesn't have to go to the records to convince one that he "fit some." "Just feel here" he said, as he put his finger on the upper part of his left cheek bone. "That is a bullet and its been there since the battle of Wilson Creek. The doctors said they did not dare remove it for fear it would never heal and here in my left ear I received another one, shot from a hot musket and the head of the bullet buried itself, leaving a part sticking out as the bullet seemed to be partly melted. And the buckle on my cartridge box saved me from being bored through. A bullet struck with force enough to have killed, but that buckle saved
my life." It was a warm fight and some of the Union soldiers had to lay on their backs and load, then roll over to shoot, while they used rocks for protection. Mr. McAnany was taken prisoner and afterwards exchanged and ordered sent to Leavenworth hospital. On the way there he, and three others, stayed all night about half way between Ft. Scott and Kansas City, and intended to leave by the stage next morning. The hotel keeper was a Union man and knew of a plot to kill them the next day as they left on the stage, so told them to slip quietly out at a signal he would give them during the night, and he would have a conveyance near and take them to Westport. They were ready when the signal came and thus their lives were saved. From Westport they went to Leavenworth by boat. Mr. and Mrs. McAnany live on their 148 acre farm in a stone house, one part of which was built by Fred Choteau before the war. The road to Olathe in the early days was not hard to find. "Just go south one-half mile and twelve miles straight across the prairie"' was the direction given. A fine spring was on the road, near Lenexa, Kan., where early-day campers found plenty of good water for their teams. A house stood near this spring in 1862, and the next and the only other house on the road was Mahaffie's big stone house.
Of course Shawnee being so close to the Missouri line, could not escape the terrors of the border warfare, and on October 17, 1862, Quantrill, with about 140 men, surrounded the town and corraled the residents in the square. A Mr. Styles and Bicker were murdered in the streets, and all the stores in town looted and the buildings set on fire. The Higgins Hotel, the largest house in town, was burned, and thirteen other buildings.
No one but those who saw the terrible destruction can have the faintest idea of the terror to the residents of the town in the short hour that Quantrill's men were there. Momentarily expecting to be murdered, seeing house after house looted, then set on fire, and seeing defenseless citizens shot down, the terrors of the hour can never fade from the memory of those early pioneers. Yet, strange to say, this happened but six weeks after the Olathe outrage of the same character, and practically no preparations had been made to protect the town and the invaders came without a moment's warning. A few citizens made their escape into the woods surrounding the town. J. A. Walker had a large dry goods stock and after picking out all they could use, the raiders set fire to the store, a plan followed out with all the other business houses in town. Quantrill's men found two Miami county, Kansas, men camped at Brown's Spring, five miles east of Shawnee. They shot both men, also a boy of twelve or fourteen, and took their teams and set their wagons on fire. The bodies of the two men and the boy were taken to Olathe the next day. The boy was living when discovered, but died on the way to Olathe.
One of the men from Miami county was a Mr. Butram and two of his wife's brothers were with Quantrill. Mr. Butram had had a quarrel with them previous to this time. James Warfield, who lived on the Brown farm, was also murdered by this same gang and his body left lying in the road a few hundred yards the other side of the place of the killing of Butram and his companions. Warfield had been accused by some of the party of being favorable to the Jayhawkers. An Indian named Washington was met at the crossing of the Rig Blue by Quantrill's men. The Indian supposed that they were Jayhawkers and when asked where he had been, said: "Been over to Missouri to kill Secesh." Quantrill told him he certainly did not mean that and the Indian said again: "Yes, kill Secesh." They explained the mistake he had made but
told him they would give him a chance for his life, however, and to run for the brush. He did so but got entangled in a grapevine and one of the men shot him through the head. A year or more after this, Dr. Bell took the skull home as a curiosity, the Indian not having been buried. Hundreds of cracks radiated from the hole in the skull as in a pane of glass when shot through.
The following is a list of business firms in Shawnee:
Shawnee State Savings Bank; J. H. Hurd, general store, William Garrett & Son, general store; Patti Brothers, dry goods and notions; G. Geysels,
harness and hardware; W. H. Heaton, druggist; H. Caswell, barber; Mrs. E. L. Sautter, groceries; W. F. Blanton, machinery; B. Young, cafe and cold drinks; B. F. Hollenback, postmaster; Dr. W. O. Quiring, physician.
Lenexa is a pretty little town, located on the Frisco and Strang Line railroads seven miles northeast of Olathe, in a fine farming country, and is destined soon to be a city of nice residences owing to its close proximity to Kansas City. It has service every hour to Kansas City over the Strang Line at the present time.
Its population is about 450, and each year shows a steady growth. The railroad bought the townsite in 1869 of C. A. Bradshaw and laid out the town, and sold a number of lots to different parties, among them D. Brickly and C. M. Bower. The first store in town was opened by Lee Freeman in 1869; the second by Dr. Bower in 1870; the third by Rush and Gintner.
H. D. Gillette moved to Lenexa in 1870, and started the first blacksmith shop. Mr. Gillette is still living in Lenexa. He sold his property in 1875 and went to California but returned to Lenexa and engaged in business again, and concluded to stay. He has never regretted it and has a nice home now in which to spend his declining years. When Mr. Gillette built his first shop in 1870, he used green cottonwood lumber, and when the summer's sun poured out its rays of heat on that shop the boards cupped till they looked like big troughs. Mr. Gillette does not recommend green cottonwood lumber for building purposes.
Among the early settlers were Joseph Rush and Edwin Bradshaw. David Huff moved here in 1871 The postoffice was established in 1870. The first birth in town was that of Willis Bower January 19, 1869. The first marriage was that of John Bower to Miss Mary Bradshaw in 1873, and the first death that of George Bower, the same year. The Methodist church wad built in 1878, at a cost of $1,200. They have fine parsonage also, and a strong Sunday school. The finest church in the city is the Catholic church, which has a very large membership. The Methodist Episcopal church was built in 1878, at a cost of $1,200. The Lutherans stand second, having a strong membership and a beautiful church. The Methodists organized in 1870, but prior to that held meetings with others in Sunday school work.
The Farmers State Bank of Lenexa, organized April 20, 1904, has a capital stock of $10,000, and a surplus fund of $5,000, deposits, $105,000. President, S. B. Haskins; vice-president, A. E. Wedd; cashier, E. H. Haskins. Directors, S. B. Haskins, A. E. Wedd, W. P. Haskins, Herman Musch, C. E. Pincomb.
The city is well represented in all lines of business as follows:
Farmers State Bank, E. H. Haskins, cashier; Lenexa Lumber Company,
W. D. McClure, manager; Louis O. Krumm, general merchandise; Ellis & Schwald, general merchandise; Mrs. Fanny Lisk, general merchandise; E. A. Legler, variety store; D. S. Swartz, blacksmith; R. E. Mills, blacksmith; F. J. Spena, garage; J. A. Burnett, drugs ; J. Callaghan, blacksmith; J. H. Dent, harness; W. E. Dickerson, barber; Lenexa Grain Company, grain and implements; M. R. Elrod, cafe and cold drinks; L. E. Newcomer, hotel; R. C. Creeker, hotel; Dr. P. L. Jones, physician; Bradshaw Bros. Realty Company, real estate and loans; Miss Maude Williams, postmistress.
The village of Aubry was surveyed and the town company organized in March, 1858 The members of the town company were A. G. Gabbart, president; Greenbury Trekle, treasurer; W. H. Brady, F. G. Franklin, P. J. Ford, and L. M. Smith. Mr. Gabbart named the town Aubry after the famous traveler (Mexican we believe) of that name. Mr. George Cass, a batchelor, who was afterwards a member of the town company, traded his interest in the burgh for a slave negro woman. The first township election was held May 22, 1858, when Mr. Brady was elected chairman of the board of supervisors, Burton Olny treasurer, and W. W. Rice, clerk. Also Gabbart, Snyder, Gamble and Trekle were elected justices of the peace.
At that time the chairman of the board of supervisors was also a member of the board of county commissioners, Mr. Brady acting in that capacity to represent Aubry township. Also the township treasurer collected the taxes, and the clerk assessed the township.. The first school district, now No. 8, embracing the town of Aubry, was organized in the summer of 1858. A frame building 20x24 was built and Sylvester Mann taught the first school.
The first sermon was preached at the house of A. J. Gabbart in February, 1858, by Rev. Duval, a minister of the Methodist church, North. The first church was organized in May, 1859, by Rev. A. Clark of the Christian denomination. Samuel Medell and Miss Nancy Middleton were the first couple married, Justice Gabbart tying the knot in September, 1858. The first birth was their daughter, being born the next year.
A son of A. Purdy died in the spring of 1859, the first death in the township.
The township was gradually settled and improved, generally, by an excellent class of people, and peace and harmony prevailed.
With the commencement of the national difficulties, rural quiet and peace came to an abrupt end. Located on the border of Missouri--the worst part of Missouri too where the adherents of rebellion were most numerous and rampant--the township was most unfortunately situated. With the outbreak of the war, most of the citizens left and joined the armies. A number of the best citizens decided to remain, hoping to escape molestation by adopting a peaceful policy. Some few were in sympathy with the Union cause, and the rest, who were principally former residents of Missouri, inclined to pray for the success of the rebellion. It was equally unsafe to express an opinion on either side.
One of the most outspoken Union sympathizers was Dr. S. B. Bell. The first raid by the rebels in the town was made some time in 1862. A gang of men who were supposed to belong to the Cassidy band came in the night and surrounded Dr. Bell's house. The latter, by this time had learned of the feeling against him across the line, and hearing some noise in the yard, sprang out of bed and found his house surrounded by armed men. He dashed out of the door and by dodging among their horses managed to reach a cornfield near by. The bushwhackers fired at him a number of times, but as soon as he reached the shelter of the standing corn they gave up the chase.
From Dr. Bell's place they went to Jackson Gabbart, another Union man. Mr. Gabbart was away from home and again the raiders were balked. A gun was accidentally discharged by one of the band which shot off the hand of a young man named Sublette, a member of their own party. This mishap caused them to immediately return to Missouri without doing any damage. It was afterwards ascertained that
the expedition was undertaken for the purpose of murdering Bell and Gabbart.
The second inroad was by Quantrill, who passed through with his men on their way to Missouri, after they had plundered Olathe. They found a deserted town, however, as Black Bob, the chief of his band of Shawnees, came in ahead of them, and notified the citizens of their approach. The bushwhackers finding no Unionists to capture, contented themselves with robbing Dr. Bell's store of all goods of value and soon departed.
This threatening aspect of affairs caused the commander of the district to station Company D, Eleventh regiment, Kansas infantry, there. With this company was Dick Rooks, commissioned as a lieutenant, who afterwards gained some notoriety as a "Red-Leg."
A few miles northeast of Aubry lived old "Uncle Billy" Bryant, who was one of the most uncomprising secessionists of the locality. He was too old to go into the Southern army himself, but had two or three boys who were among the first to join the Confederate cause. He had been a soldier in the War of 1812, and the sounds of the approaching contest aroused all the martial ardor of his youthful days. One day Rooks scouted around the country with fifteen or twenty soldiers on foot. They arrived in the vicinity of Bryant's farm, and happened to meet the old gentleman in the road, carrying a gun, and in company with a neighbor named Wilson. Rooks ordered Bryant to surrender. In reply Bryant took deliberate aim and fired at the soldiers, and immediately commenced reloading. They later returned the fire and shot the old man dead. Taking Wilson, who was unarmed, they started to Aubry. When near the town, Wilson grumbled at having to walk, at which a wild Irishman named "Nick," well known in Olathe in those days, stepped up behind him and shot him dead.
The ill feeling on the border between the two factions had been increasing day by day, and the acts just spoken of brought matters to the culminating point. From that time on Aubry was a battle ground.
After the death of Bryant his family went away and left the farm unoccupied. Among the property they left in their hasty removal were several fine hives of bees. Early in the spring five men started to get the honey one night, stating to their families that they would he back early. From that time to this they have never been seen or heard of, and even the place where their bones lie is unknown. Early in the evening the citizens heard some shots fired in the direction the men had gone. About sunrise the next morning Quantrill came into town intending to take the place by surprise and capture the people.
Dr. Bell, one of the first to discover their approach, ran across the fields, hoping to reach a ravine and hide before they could overtake him. A burly ruffian saw him and started in pursuit. After firing several futile shots, he attempted to beat the unfortunate prisoner's brains out with
his revolver. Bell managed to ward off the blows enough to keep his skull from being crushed but his face and arms were badly cut and mangled. Soon a comrade rode up and interfered saying: "Wait and see whether he needs killing or not." As the bushwhackers had several friends residing in the place and Bell was completely disguised by the blood that streamed from his numerous wounds, this advice appeared timely, and Bell was taken back and put under guard with other captives.
Two or three months previous to this time it had been a fact, pretty well known, that several of the Union men residing in the place had formed some connection with the "Redlegs," who were making it lively for the rebel citizens. The main purpose of this expedition was to capture these parties. They proceeded to Trekle's house and in addition to Trekle, Cody, Tullis, and Whitaker, who lived there, and four strangers were there who had stopped to stay over night.
The Union men saw the bushwhackers approaching, and fired a volley at them, from the window. Then with a want of wisdom that can scarcely be accounted for, they abandoned the house and attempted to seek safety in flight. Trekle and Whitaker after running a short distance turned and attempted to fight. Some twenty men were after them, and in an instant Trekle and Whitaker were riddled with bullets. Tullis, who ran in another direction, was shot in the eye and killed. John Cody, while running, fell behind a clump of weeds, and his pursuers ran past without seeing him; he remained there until they were gone, and escaped unharmed. A man named Ellis was shot while in the house, but afterwards recovered, and several others were wounded. After the fight was over, Quantrill had Dr. Bell attend to the wounded which he did though suffering badly from his own wounds. While they were in town the wives of the five men who had gone out the night before went to Quantrill, and besought him to tell where their husbands were. He would give them no satisfaction, saying they had attended to them properly. All search for them was fruitless.
Trekle had a large house and considerable property. His widow remained there for some time, when in another raid, she was stripped of the balance of her personal property, when she went to Iowa with her four children and remained there till the close of the war, when she returned to Aubry where she became insane, and was sent back to Iowa. Whitaker left a large family, who went to Ohio to relatives.
Cody had received warning enough to have caused him to seek some more favorable locality, but with the fearlessness that characterized the man he remained. In about a year after his narrow escape while enrolled in the militia he was ordered to report for guard duty. It was never supposed that he ever intended to evade the order, but instead of going immediately he took his horses to be shod. The major on learning this sent two soldiers to bring him to headquarters. These soldiers
were Bill Nichols and Van Osdell, former bushwhackers who had been captured a short time and in preference to the chances of hanging or prison had enlisted in the United States service. It was while the "lenient policy" was in vogue, when it was thought that all that was necessary to reform a bushwhacker was to administer the oath of allegiance, give him a good horse, uniform, and arm him. It worked well, with the slight drawback that in a course of a week or two the repentent sinners, almost invariably, disappeared with horse, arms and equipment.
These two fellows were among the worst of their class. They found Cody at the shop. Two shots were fired and on going to the shop, citizens found Cody with his brains blown out. The fellows reported that Cody resisted them and would not obey orders. The same night they took their horses and arms and deserted, going back to the brush. Cody's death only added another to the long list of foul murders that marked the border troubles.
The next raid of note was on the last day of January, 1864, by Dan Vaughn, a leader second only to Quantrill among the bushwhackers. On that day a traveler named Norman Sampson stopped at Dr. Bell's to get his dinner and horses fed. He lived in Linn county, and was from Wisconsin, originally, serving, we believe, during a part of the war as a soldier in one of the regiments of that State. After staying about an hour, he started to Kansas City. Two miles north of Aubry, he fell in with Vaughn, who had ten men with him. They pretended to be Union soldiers. Sampson rode some distance with them, and to their inquiries, stated that he had served in the Union army, at the same time mentioning in rather a boasting manner, some of the bloody work he had participated in while fighting the rebels. That was enough and sealed his fate. He was found dead the next day with two or three bullet holes in his body.
After murdering Sampson, they came to Aubry, and stopped at Bell's store, still pretending to be Union soldiers. After making a few inquiries, they threw off the masks, arrested Bell and setting a guard over him, proceeded to rob the store. As soon as the goods they desired were taken out, the building, store and dwelling, were fired and burned to the ground.
While a part of the band engaged in this work, they informed the Doctor that if he would give them $1,000 they would release him--otherwise he would be hanged. He told them he had no money, and they then, cooly, procured a rope, and making him mount the horse they had taken from the unfortunate Sampson, started towards Missouri, promising to attend to the hanging at the first convenient place on the road.
For the first time, the Doctor gave up all hope, for he knew the merciless nature of his captors. As he rode along he realized all the horrors of a violent death. In the full flush of manhood, he looked at the familiar prairies, calm and peaceful in the bright sunlight, and thought they had never appeared so fair and lovely. He thought of his family, and his soul was wrung with agony as their helpless future loomed up before him. Life never appeared so desirable nor so hard to relinquish as then. In fact, only those who have been similarly situated can fully realize his feelings. He was not reassured in the least by the act of a burly ruffian who rode up and grasping the front locks of his hair remarked to a comrade that he intended to have that for an ornament for the head stall of his bridle. As they were riding along, one of the gang, behind the Doctor, rode up to the fence and broke off a large splinter. The latter heard the sharp snap and concluded that they had attempted to shoot him, and it was the cracking of a cap. He did not dare to look back, but presently saw the shadow of one approaching with something in his hand that looked much like a bayonet or long knife. He then decided that the pistol had failed to go off and their intention was to stab him, and he waited each minute to feel the sharp thrust of the blade in his body. The fellow with the splinter, however, rode up and struck the horse the Doctor was riding, causing it to perform a lively circus movement. They all laughed heartily and the Doctor's gloom vanished. He reasoned that while they were in this sportive mood they could hardly be contemplating a deed of blood. His reasoning was correct for on reaching the end of the lane they gruffly told him to go home and attend to his business-- and he did. He certainly had escaped "out of the jaws of hell." In addition to the house and goods, the Doctor lost $225 in money, which was burned in the building.
Previous to Trekle's death, and while the Jayhawkers were making his house their headquarters, the Doctor, one night anticipating a raid by the bushwhackers, went to the home of his brother-in-law, John Beeson, who lived a mile or two out in the country, to stay over night for safety.
It happened that on the same night a squad of jayhawkers had gone down on the Missouri line, and pretending to be bushwhackers, robbed several persons who were obnoxious to them. On the way back they concluded to stop at Beeson's to look for a certain Jake Mast, a rebel. who was supposed to be there. They surrounded the house. Bell in bed upstairs was awakened by the noise, and as he awoke he heard some one say: "There is a man in there I'm going to have, by God." Supposing it was bushwhackers who had discovered his retreat, he sprang out of bed, seized his gun and attempted to get out at the back door. As he raised the latch some one called out: "Don't open that door or I'll blow you to h--l." Immediately after that a man stepped in and said: "Give me that gun." The Doctor, without any ceremony, gave him the contents, killing him instantly. The sentinels outside, supposing it was Mast, fired three shots at Bell, one bullet passing between his hand and hip, and the blaze from the gun setting fire to his shirt. The Doctor ran out of the door knocking a man down who was standing in his way and proceeding to Aubry, gave the alarm that the bushwhackers were coming. The next morning he found he had killed a Union man, Isham Helm, the leader of the party. Helm was a Missourian, who had been compelled to leave that State because of his loyal tendencies, and seeking shelter in Kansas, had taken up the precarious profession of jayhawker to get even with his enemies. Had the Doctor known they were Union men he would not have fought them; had they known he was the Doctor they would not have made the attack. It was a mistake on both sides, but it cost a human life.
Greenbury Trekle's father, an old man of eighty years, lived in Missouri six miles east of Aubry. At the time of the Quantrill raid on Lawrence, the bushwhackers assembled on the creek not far from the old man's residence preparatory to starting, and the latter knew that the demonstration meant a raid in Kansas, but did not know where they intended to strike. Becoming satisfied of their intentions, he walked to Aubry and informed the citizens and commandant of the post, of their movements. The information was timely enough to have given the alarm and saved the city of Lawrence, but the officer in charge treated it as an idle story of an old man who wished to create a sensation. Two hundred lives paid the penalty for his stupidity or carelessness. The object of the old man's visit to Aubry became known and a few weeks after Vaughn's men murdered him in cold blood in his home.
The little town of Stilwell on the Missouri Pacific railroad in Aubry township is about one-half mile east of "Old Aubry," but the two towns are practically one and have a population of about 300. The plat for Mt. Auburn, now Stilwell, was filed November 30, 1886, by
Michael O'Keefe, J. Larkin, W. A. Kelly and A. J. Norman. The town is located on the southeast quarter of section 5, township 15 south, range 25 east. Grain and stockraising in this fertile country are profitable occupations of the thrifty people living there.
The town will probably be incorporated as a city this coming year. The business men carry excellent lines of merchandise and receive a good patronage from the surrounding country.
The following business concerns are engaged in business at Stilwell: M. Wilson, general merchandise; E. K. Gibson, general merchandise; W. M. Moon, hardware, implements and drugs; State Bank of Stilwell; Jones Bros., successors to Conboy Bros., who are retiring after twenty years of successful business, elevator, grain, coal and implements; J. T. Kissenger, blacksmith and carriage worker; D. N. Wright, confectionery, restaurant and groceries; Miss Sloan, postmistress; Dr. M. F. Sloan, physician and drugs; A. P. Conboy & Son, general merchandise; Stilwell Lumber Company, Mr. Berg, manager; A. B. Hiatt, livery, feed and sales barn; A. B. Witherspoon, barber; Ira Baker, garage and jitney; Fred Smith, carpenter and builder; Dr. M. W. Rogers, physician and surgeon; Fred Collins, blacksmith and wagon maker; L. Whitsett, gas and plumbing.
The State Bank of Stilwell has a capital stock of $12,500, surplus, $6,250. Michael Kelly is its president and P. K. Hendrix is cashier.
Its directors are: W. M. Moore, L. N. O'Keefe, E. K. Gibson, J. W. Adams, Thomas Hudson, Gust A. Zimmerman.
Stanley is situated on the Clinton Branch railroad two miles south and eight miles east of Olathe, Kan., in a fertile prairie country and the farms around speak well for the thrift of its people, and it has a population of 300. It has been built since the building of the railroad through Oxford township and is a growing little town as proven by its new buildings now in the course of erection. The Methodists, Christians, and Presbyterians all have fine churches here and are well supported. An excellent school is maintained and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Woodmen, Royal Neighbors and Grange, all have strong organizations. Another thing that speaks well for the place is that a summer Chautauqua has been kept up for several years.
The town has several good stores, among them Allison & Son's general drug store, and Allen's cash store. Hodges Brothers Lumber Company has an excellent yard here under the supervision of Ralph Parsley. Stanley's Bank is the pride of the city and was organized April 3, 1905. It has a capital stock of $10,000, a surplus of $5,000, and owns its own building. J. H. Schroder is president, W. W. Frye, vice-president, T. L. Kellog, cashier. The directors are, J. H. Schroder, W. W.
Frye, Robert Baker, J. T. Kincaid, R. M. Donham, J. T. Hudson, George D. Warr.
Stanley, Kan., is located in the Black Bob district, and the settlers, after years of suspense in getting titles to their land, at last were permitted to buy their homes at an average price of $10 per acre. If Black Bob, a real Indian in name and nature, could come back to the place of his wanderings here and see the beautiful fields of waving grain under the soft rays of the June sun he might be convinced that agriculture is better than loafing, but he was not an agriculturist and he didn't like any one very much that was. Fishing and hunting suited Black Bob and his followers, and they were also great visitors, oftentimes going down to the Indian Territory or visiting with the more civilized around Shawnee.
J. H. Hancock located here in 1866 and bought the claim of David Hunt. A man by the name of Hudson was a former owner of the claim. Mr. Hancock has taken active interest in the Grange work of Johnson county, and held the office of overseer in the State Grange at one time. Stanley had a newspaper at one time which was published for about six months. Mr. Kellog, cashier of the State Bank, was interested in it, and was its editor. The Stanley "Review" was the name of the paper, and it was printed in Kansas City, Mo., by a firm that got out patents for several country weeklies. The cashier of the concern at Kansas City vamoosed one day leaving them stranded, and Mr. Kellog made arrangements with another concern to fill out the unexpired subscriptions. The paper sent out, however, turned out to be an anti-prohibition sheet and Mr. Kellog notified them to cease sending them out to his subscribers. The "Review" had about 300 subscribers at the time it suspended.
Sherman Kellogg, one of the interesting and historical characters of Stanley, was born in Sherman, Vt., April 5, 1833. He says he is related to all the Kelloggs in this country. He came to Atchinson in 1864 and to Johnson county in 1867, locating about one-fourth mile north of Stanley. Mr. Kellogg has been a notary public and justice of the peace almost the entire time since he came here, and often took depositions of the Indians that lived here when he came. There was considerable of this work to do in the early days. Mr. Kellogg knew old man Gill, a wealthy Southerner, who lived on a farm adjoining the townsite of Oxford, just across the State line from Little Santa Fe., Mo. Mr. Gill was a slave holder. Oliver Gregg in his Oxford township sketch says: "One of the most prominent of the wealthy planters was a man named Gill, who owned a fine large farm adjoining Santa Fe, highly improved with first class buildings, and well stocked with cattle, horses and slaves. The war found him in most prosperous circumstances and surrounded with all the appliances for ease and comfort that an ordinary man could desire. But Mr. Gill was not at all satisfied with his blessings and longed
to increase them by crushing the North and establishing slavery on a basis that would insure its stability for years to come. Hence he was most active of all fiery partisans and soon acquired such prominence as to render the locality unsafe for him personally. As these patriots were noted for desires, tending to extreme longevity, it was not long till Gill, his family, slaves and personal effects were loaded in wagons, and in a long procession, with the Confederate flag flying gaily in front, a negro boy riding a jackass and trailing the Union flag in the dust in the rear, the caravan departed for Texas. It was in this triumphant manner the majority of the citizens in that locality went. No more striking contrast could be conceived than their return. At the end of four years'
war, they straggled back haggled with hardships and cares, impoverished in purse with broken health, and utterly dispirited to find their fine dwellings burned or torn down, the magnificent orchard dead from neglect or destroyed by vandals, the fences gone and fields a wilderness of weeds, only ruin and desolation where once was thrift and prosperity.
List of present business firms in Stanley:
William Allison & Son, general merchandise and postoffice; S. L. Runner, drug store; Stanley Lumber Company, lumber and hardware; Allen's cash grocery, general merchandise; P. C. Brown & Son, restaurant; State Bank of Stanley, Percy Kellogg, cashier; John Meyers, blacksmith; John May, blacksmith; C. W. May, barber; J. R. Sloan, practicing physician; J. H. Shrader, banker and farmer; E. O. Callahan, auctioneer; Kenneth Allison, agent Kansas City "Star" and Olathe "Mirror."
Merriam, Kan., at first called Campbellton, is a station on the Frisco railroad, thirteen miles northeast of Olathe. Merriam Park, a short distance south, was in the eighties one of the prettiest spots near Kansas City, the delight of those who desired a day's outing. In later years the Frisco road neglected it, and it is now a pasture. Merriam has a new $20,000 school building, modern throughout, and an excellent corps of teachers. The southwest boulevard rock road runs through the town and the old Quaker mission, one of the historic buildings of Kansas, is still standing, one-half mile east and one-fourth south of the depot. A wireless station stands near the mission. Hocker's Grove adjoins Merriam on the west, and is one of the pretty spots for which this part of Shawnee township is famous. Pretty bungalows line the electric railway that runs from Merriam through this grove to Shawnee. J. M. Campbell runs a general store at Merriam, and is one of the oldest residents, having located here with his father in 1862. His father planted the first orchard of any magnitude, forty acres, near Shawnee in an early day. Mr. Campbell was there when, Quantrill sacked and destroyed so much property in 1862 and 1864. Mr. Campbell tells of the fun the Indians had with him once when they found him alone on the road. Seeing him coming one of them dropped a handkerchief in the road, where he was sure to see it. Then they hid and after Campbell had picked if up they surrounded him and accused him of stealing it. However, a chance for his life was given him by giving him twenty feet the start. He did some tall running with that bunch after him, and they failed to catch him. A few years ago Mr. Campbell soared to fame, by his expert horseshoe pitching. He and some more of the crack pitchers challenged the Stanley pitchers to a game and the Kansas City Star wrote it up. Mr. Campbell has two pairs of malleable iron shoes molded according to the regulation size and weight and he knows how to use them.
In 1888 Billie Randall, an Indian, owned forty acres, now a part of Hocker's Grove at Merriam. One day Milt Parish, of Kansas City, a real estate man, offered him $8,000 for the forty. Randall said he would take it. Then Mr. Parish said he could pay only $4,000 down, and would like to have him take a mortgage for the other half. Mr. Randall drew a long breath, and in all seriousness replied: "Well, I will take it but it is d--n poor security." Forty acres cornering with this on the southwest is the old homestead of Mrs. Randall, a Shawnee woman, and the title is still in the Government of the United States. As Mrs. Randall has never sold the land she is a ward of Uncle Sam.
Bonita, Kan., is a small town, five miles south of Olathe, on the Frisco railroad. It was at first named Alta, on account of its
being the highest point along the road. There being another postoffice in the State with the same name, it was changed to Bonita, the Spanish word meaning, "beautiful." The name is very appropriate, as the surrounding country is one of the prettiest scenes to be found on the prairies of eastern Kansas. Each year the farms grow fine vields of corn and wheat. J. J. Kuhlman has a general store and elevator there and does a large business in shipping grain. This country is one of the best grain growing districts along the Frisco.
Population, 61. The little town of Morse, Kan., situated on the Clinton Branch railroad, six miles southeast of Olathe, is in the most fertile part of Johnson county's rich prairies. It has a population of 61. Smith Brothers have a general store here and the Morse Grain Company operates an elevator, and handles a large amount of grain, mostly wheat and corn. The Modern Woodmen of America have a strong organization here, and meet in the hall over Smith Brothers' store. George McCaughey is the oldest settler, having located here in 1866. It was then a vast prairie, and some of the Black Bob Indians were living along the creeks. The State Bank of Morse was organized June 22, 1910, with a capital stock of $10,000. It has a surplus fund of $1,500 and owns its own building.
Its officers are: J. W. Toynbee, president, J. F. Mitchell, vice-president, James Murdock, cashier. Directors: J. W. Tonybee, R. F. Hargis. J. L. Pettyjohn, G. H. Smith, J. F. Mitchell, H. B. Klopmeyer, H. M. Beckett, James Murdock, T. B. Sharp.
Named after W. A. Ocheltree, one of the town company. Ocheltree is situated on the Fiisco railroad, one and one-half miles north of Spring Hill, Kan. The territory surrounding this town is as fine for agriculture as any part in Johnson county. C. H. Mossman and nephew, Harry E. Mossman, conduct a general store here and do a good business. Besides the store they handle coal and buy grain, handling over 65,000 bushels the past season. Mr. Mossman came to this county with his father in 1868, who settled four miles east of Ocheltree on a farm. When the town of Ocheltree was first established it grew rapidly, having three stores; and quite a number of residences, but Spring Hill at first refused a depot, because they would not subscribe $1,500 bonus to get the line, afterwards got a depot and Ocheltree being so close failed to hold up in the trade. The early business concerns were Scott and McElhenny, Miller & Thorne Lumber Company, Miller Hotel and the inevitable
saloon. O. H. and William Tibbetts were also in business here, running a general store.
The town of Monticello was laid out in June, 1857, by the town company of which Col. A. Payne was president and W. J. McCarthy secretary. Among those who moved into Monticello that year were C. Brassfield, A. J. Cordray, M. and F. P. Shannon and J. M. Reed. Mr. Reed to show his faith in the town, built a large hotel which was burned in 1862. The first store was opened in 1857, by Rich & Rively. A school was opened in 1865, a school house was built and school held there that year. In 1880 a Methodist church 40x50 was built, one and one-half miles southwest of town, at a cost of $2,000.
A tornado visited the town in 1858 and destroyed many of the buildings, but the people soon rebuilt, and at one time the town had the ambition to be the county seat, but its location being too far from the center of the county it failed to be selected. At the present time there are several residences and a good store. It is nine miles north of Olathe.
Back in 1866, after the war had closed, the pro-slavery and Free State men of Monticello township had a little party all their own. During the war and before many horses were stolen. The owners were killed, if necessary, for being, "Free State" or "pro-slavery" men, it didn't matter which, to the fellows who followed this business.
Isaac Parish, who had married a Shawnee woman, had lost three or four horses; Uncle Joe Kenton had lost two; Lorenzo Greening two, and a good many other men living near had lost from one to two at a time by this roving band of thieves in 1865.
John Wilson, now living at Craig in Monticello township, remembers the circumstances well. His father came to Olathe in 1862, and bought a place in Monticello, in 1864, and in 1865 moved there. John was fourteen years of age at that time. Benton Ingraham, Preston Deen, and Newton Wicher, went to Douglas county and arrested Peter Bassinger, and returned with him to Monticello. While he was in charge of W. S. Ingraham and Preston Deen, constables, a number of men who had suffered loss at the hands of Bassinger and his gang, took him from the officers, and making a scaffold of rails, using three as a tripod tied together at the top, and a fourth as a lever, swung him from the ground. The hanging took place about a mile south of Monticello. Mr. Wilson saw Bassinger the morning after the hanging, before he was cut down. One foot touched the earth at this time and the other was drawn up. 'The men who did the hanging are now all dead. Among them were Ike Parish, John Kenton, Barney Evans, Newton Wicher, Benton Ingraham, Tom Self, Lorenzo Green and Sam Garre. A number of these men were arrested, and the county attorney refused to let them out on bond, but
Judge A. S. Deviney went to Topeka, brought their casebefore the governor and they were permitted to give bond which they did, but none of them were ever tried.
The first wedding in Monticello township occurred prior to the war. Major Hadley had been elected justice of the peace for Monticello township. One day George Walker called on him and told him the neighbors were coming in that evening for a social time, and for Mr. Hadley to be sure to be there. Mr. Hadley was there, not knowing exactly what part he might have to play in the evening's entertainment. On arrival there a Mr. J. W. McDaniel entered with Miss Mattie Walker, his sweetheart, and McDaniel handed him a marriage license and requested him to perform the ceremony immediately. Mr. Hadley was an unmarried man and had never seen a marriage ceremony performed, and had no idea of what a real marriage ceremony consisted. In speaking of the incident afterward Mr. Hadley said: "I don't know what I said. I never will know what I said but I said something, and I sometimes doubt the legality of that union." Uncle Thomas Stephenson, who lived in Monticello for forty years or more, says that Major Hadley wound up the ceremony by saying, "and may the Lord have mercy on your soul." But as Mr. Stephenson is somewhat of a practical joker this latter statement must be taken with a grain of allowance.
Wilder is in the northern part of Monticello township, on the Santa Fe railroad, about one mile from the Kansas river. This town and Frisbie station, two and one-half miles south, are in the potato belt and many carloads of potatoes are shipped from here every year. Wilder takes its names from E. Wilder, who was formerly with the Santa Fe railroad. The first settler was Simon Walters, who located there in 1877. A postoffice was established there the same year with L. S. Hayes postmaster.
The little town of Kenneth is situated at the crossing of the Clinton Branch and Missouri Pacific railways almost on the Missouri line, a little over three miles east of Stanley. Clyde Clark has a general store here.
Choteau is a little station on the Santa Fe twelve miles west of Kansas City, between Holliday and Wilder, and takes its name from the Choteau brothers, who were early pioneers of Johnson county, establishing a trading port here in 1827.
Switzer is a station on the Frisco twelve miles north of Olathe. Large quantities of milk are shipped from this place to Kansas City, Mo. Lackman, three miles north of Olathe, is a station on the Frisco.
Craig is a station on the Santa Fe, seven miles north of Olathe.
Zarah is located ten miles north of Olathe, on the Santa Fe railroad and Harry King has a general store there and does an extensive business.
Holliday is located in the north part of Monticello township, at the Junction of the two lines of the Santa Fe railroad. It has a population of 175, and several stores.
Yes, the voters of the town of Oxford, who, by the way, lived, mostly, in Little Santa Fe, Mo., just over the line, believed in turning out to elections. It wasn't necessary to haul 'em in either; they voted to a man. According to the report there were about forty-two or forty-three voters who cast their votes according to law, but Henry Clay Pate, who was intrusted with the records, took the list over to Little Santa Fe that night, then to Westport the next day, and when the vote for October 5, 1857, showed up at the office of the secretary of State, Oxford had cast 1,628 votes. At a later date, December 21, 1857, an election was held on the 'Lecompton constitution, and the Oxford vote was about 1,250. Shawnee precinct also had worked up the "stay at home vote," and had cast over 700 more votes than they had voters. On January 4, 1858, an election was held for the election of officers under the Lecompton constitution. Oxford precinct showed up with only 696 illegal votes, a big slump. On the twenty-ninth day of the same month a census was taken for the township, and the precinct showed forty-two legal voters. It had been generally supposed that the officials in charge of the ballot boxes at Oxford were dead, but recent events in Terre Haute, Ind., and Kansas City, Mo., prove this to be an error.
W. T. Quarles, who lives on one of the fine farms of Oxford township and whose farm adjoins the townsite of Stanley, on the north, is one of the most interesting characters of the county. The experiences of early-day life connected with a life of activity in political and business affairs give him a prominent place in Johnson county history. Mr. Quarles came to Johnson county in 1857. The county then extended north to the Kaw river. His father stuck the first stake in Lexington township on the Kansas City-Lawrence stage road. While living there the first summer an Indian murder occurred. Mr. Quarles happened
along the road a short time after the killing and saw two dead Indians and another crippled one by the road side. "Who did this?" asked Mr. Quarles of the crippled Indian. "Black Fish velly bady man," was the answer. "He kill Tom Bigyknife, he breaky my back then kill himself." Black Fish was a bad Indian, and had shot Big Knife. The other Indian interfering in some way was struck with the gun, and then putting the butt end of the double barrel shot gun against a tree, with his foot he discharged the other barrel, killing himself instantly. This saved the other Indians from hanging Black Fish as they followed the divine injunction, "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth."
Mr. Quarles came to Oxford township, where he now lives, in 1868, and settled on the Black Bob lands. In the early days of '60 Mr. Quarles
hauled hay to Kansas City stacked loose on the hay rack, and, said Mr. Quarles: "I don't know what we would have done if it had not been for the prairie grass. The Kansas City market beings only a day's drive gave us an opportunity to sell what we had at a living profit, and prairie hay was always in good demand there. We got 40 cts to $1.25 per hundred." Mr. Quarles bought his housekeeping outfit from Hadley & Phillips, of Olathe, and with a twinkle in his eye and a smile said: "I bought them on credit too."
Mr. Quarles knew the Turpin family quite well, that ran the Olathe House in 1861, when C. R. Jennison called at daybreak to rid the town of Southern sympathizers. Colonel Jennison, famous as a Jayhawker in the troubles of 1856, raised a company of men at Leavenworth, and took
them to Wyandotte to have them enlisted, with himself as captain. For some reason they were not taken in and Mr. Jennison was very much disappointed. He had something he wanted to do at Olathe by authority of law, if possible, but if not legally, he intended to do it otherwise, and with his men he came to Olathe and arrested L. S. Cornwell, and his partner, Drake, his son-in-law, Judge Campbell and the Turpin family, all from the Southern states and with Southern sympathies. As Jennison was acting without authority of law, Mr. Cornwell protested against the arrest as an outrage, at which Jennison struck him in the face with a pistol. The prisoners were searched and their weapons taken away from them and confiscated. After being held under arrest for three or four hours they were sworn not to take up arms against the Government and released. An ex-stage driver by the name of Cleveland, who had the reputation of being a "horse-operator and confiscationist," and the afterwards famous James G. Blunt were acting as lieutenants under Jennison. Over in Oxford township a German doctor lived, by the name of Schaerff, and on the way to Olathe Jennison called on him to straighten out his political views and made him take an oath of loyalty to the Government. The doctor claimed that Jennison robbed him of a gold watch and other valuables, but as his reputation for veracity was not of the best the neighbors generally doubted his word. This act of Jennison's at Olathe, no doubt had something to do with Quantrill's coming to Olathe, for the Turpins were strong Southerners, and were not afraid to say what they thought in regard to the political questions of the day. Turpins ran the Olathe House, on the west side of the square, and occasionally the Red Legs visited them and stole stuff from them, at one time a pair of wool blankets that Mrs. Turpin thought a great deal of, as she had spun the wool and done the weaving.
(Gregg's History gives the following concerning the Turpin family.)
"The Turpin family consisted of the old gentleman, his wife, three suns and a daughter. The daughter married Mack Smith, and Smith made a living by selling whisky, in 1857, and belonged to the middle class of the South. They were proud of their Southern origin and hated the Yankees with a genuine honest hatred and their espousal of the Southern cause was most decided and emphatic. Turpin, the nominal head of the family, was an easy going, mild old fellow, who looked upon the national conflict as a rather trivial affair when compared with the domestic conflicts of frequent occurrence in his own house. His spouse, the real head, was a character. A large muscular woman with a snapping black eye and tongue of a thousand horsepower, fond of a glass of whisky (and they sold it at the hotel too), a horse race, a game of 'draw' and occasionally a knock down, she was a woman that very few of the Yankee persuasion cared to contradict when national complications were discussed. Few people went away from that hotel without a pretty comprehensive knowledge of the political views entertained there. The
boys were young men, and better than might have been expected, taking the maternal training into consideration."
Soon after Jennison's visit the oldest son of the Turpins joined the Confederate army, in southwest Missouri. He never came back and it is supposed he died, or was killed, about the close of the war. Cliff, the younger of the boys, was the "son of his mother,'' found the companionship of the Quantrill gang suited to his taste, and joined them. He was with Quantrill at the Olathe raid, and although the balance of the town was looted, the Olathe Hotel ran by the Turpins was undisturbed. Quantrill and a part of his men dined at the hotel while the men of the town were corralled in the square. Mrs. Turpin, the day before the raid, went to Missouri on horseback, and returned the evening of the raid, and it was supposed she had been instrumental in giving Quantrill the necessary tips that made the surprise and plundering of the town so easy. How Cliff Turpin got his arms, necessary to join Quantrill, is told by Mr. Quarles. A drunken soldier was asleep in Westport one night, and Cliff quietly stole his gun from him, cocked it, and backed off ready to shoot if the soldier made a move. Fortunately for the soldier, however, he was too drunk to be awakened by a little thing like that and he only lost his gun. Mr. Quarles was instrumental in organizing a company of thirty men to drill for gas at Stanley. Four wells were drilled and gas found in each one, and in one of these considerable oil was found. Gas was struck at a depth of 600 feet, and the residents of Stanley use gas now for both cooking and heating. Mr. Quarles has always taken an active interest in politics and is a man of strong character, and rare executive ability. He is fearless in fighting for a principle that he believes is right, and is fair with those who may oppose him. He was chief of police in Kansas City, Kan., during both the Leedy and Lewelling administrations in Kansas, and proved himself thoroughly capable and worthy.