Streams and Soil | Early Settlement | First Things|
General History | Organization and Elections
Present Condition of the County | Storm and Fire
Red Cloud: Early History | The Great Storm|
Local Matters | Societies | Newspapers
Guide Rock: Biographical Sketches|
Blue Hill: Biographical Sketches
Amboy | Cowles
Illustration in Webster County: [Portrait of S. C. Smith.]
This is the county seat and largest town of Webster County, and is situated on the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad in Nebraska. The location is a very pleasant one on level terrace, on the north side of the Republican River, and about midway between that stream and the bluffs that ascend to the upland prairie. The elevation of the town-site is about twenty-five feet above the river level. It derives its name from the famous Sioux Chief Red Cloud, who up to the time of settlement by the white people, held his war councils, on what is now the town site.
The history of Red Cloud begins with the settlement of Capt. Silas Garber, and others, in 1870. The site of the town was entered under the homestead laws on July 17th, 1870. In August a stockade was built, that the settlers might protect themselves against the Indians. Among the first settlers were ex-Governor Silas Garber, Dr. Peter Head, Albert Lathrop, George M. Taylor, W. E. Jackson, James Calvert, Dr. T. B. Williams, Wheeler Wicks, A. H. Roat, D. Hefflebower, Ed. and John Parks, and L. F. Munsel. The first white women in the settlement were Mrs. W. E. Jackson and Mrs. James Calvert, who arrived with their husbands, on August 9, 1870.
After the stockade the first building was by Silas Garber, and constructed by digging a hole in the ground, then laying a few logs around the banks, and putting on a dirt roof. This dug-out became of historic importance. Mr. Garber was a widower and lived there alone doing his own cooking. Whenever public meetings were to be held that was the place selected. Meetings to take measures to organize the county were held there, and so was the first county election. For some months afterward it was occupied as the court house. The dug-out was on the bank of a small draw, west of them magnificent residence of ex-Governor Garber, and on the east side of the street, leading from the business part of Red Cloud to the depot.
At the election of April 19, 1871, the county seat was located on the homestead of Mr. Garber, on the east half of the northeast quarter of Section 2, Town 1, Range 11, west, upon which a portion of it was at once laid out as a town-site, by Silas Garber. This was not platted and filed in the office of the county clerk until November 12, 1872. Since that time several additions have been made. The first of these were, one on the northeast by T. B. Williams in November, 1873, another in October, 1873, by W. N. Richardson on the north of the old town; another in March, 1874, still farther north, by Ed. Smith and Levi Moore, which in extent was nearly as large as the original town-site. Sometime afterward Jas. LeDuc laid out an addition on the northwest. Since that time additions have been laid out as the growth of the town required.
The first store in Red Cloud was opened in the spring of 1871, by Smith Brothers, and in a short time sold to Fennemore & Penny, who sold to Silas Garber in November, 1871.
In the spring of 1871, G. M. Taylor built a log house, just in the rear of where Dr. R. R. Sherer's store now is, and occupied it as a hotel.
The first physicians were T. B. Williams and Peter Head, who were among the settlers of 1870.
The first school in Red Cloud was taught by Miss Fannie Barber, now Mrs. Edward McCune. The term of school began June 3, 1871, and the wages paid were $12 per month.
The first child born was Frances, daughter of G. M. and Carrie Taylor, in the year 1871.
The first attorney to locate in the new town was J. R. Willcox, from Brownville, Nebraska, who settled in July, 1871. He was soon followed by H. S. Kaley.
In the fall of 1871 David Lutz started a drug store.
In March, 1872, the first blacksmith shop was started in Red Cloud by Ira Sleeper, who removed from his homestead about a mile east of town where he had a small shop for about a year before.
During the summer of 1872 J. Q. and J. Potter opened a saw mill in the southern part of town.
In the spring of 1872 Silas Garber built the stone store now occupied by Samuel Garber & Bros.
In November, 1872, John Parks built a small shoe shop.
The above comprises nearly all the improvements made in 1872. The next year, however, the town began to grow quite rapidly, and continued to progress until the summer of 1874, when the grasshoppers came.
During the fall of 1874, and the year 1875, business was dull, and the town grew but very little. But during the year 1876 there was an increased immigration to the county and Red Cloud began again to improve and steadily progressed until the year 1878, when the prospects for an early completion of the line of railroad, brought settlers to Red Cloud in large numbers. During the years 1878 and 1879 there was a grand rush of business and professional men and mechanics to this town. So fast did the town settle during those two years that the population numbered over 600.
Ever since that time the town has continued to improve steadily, and the population will now number about 800. There are many very fine buildings, neat in design, that give the town an attractive appearance. Besides this, many of the residence lots have been planted with shade trees, which have already attained considerable size and add much to the beauty of the town.
In the history of Red Cloud there have been but few exciting events. There was, however, a storm in the summer of 1879 that came near destroying the town. About seven o'clock of the evening of June 10th a heavy, black cloud was seen in the west. As it steadily came up it assumed a terrible aspect, rolling and tumbling along. About eight o'clock the storm burst upon Red Cloud, and lasted about three-quarters of an hour. The rain fell in torrents, and the wind blew a hurricane, eddying and whirling about, blowing down some buildings and unroofing others. A great many people were blown and tumbled about until quite badly bruised, while about twenty received severe and dangerous injuries. A great many buildings were leveled to the ground, and the only way their occupants were saved was by flying to their cellars. Altogether more than $10,000 damage was done. The Methodist church was blown down; Mrs. Brigg's house blown away; Joseph Warner's livery stable torn to pieces; the Red Cloud hotel unroofed; the front of Sherer's store blown out; the front of Putnam's store blown out and the building wrecked; the front and roof torn from the jewelry and clothing store; the Boy's Home livery barn unroofed; the windows broken from the Argus office; the front of J. G. Potter's store torn out; Mr. Gibb's house blown away; Smith's carpenter shop in ruins; C. W. Springer's house demolished; the Chief office badly racked and several hundred pounds of type pied; the roof torn from Mr. Miner's residence; Sherer's house blown from the foundation; Mr. Smith's house ruined; Reed's furniture store badly damaged; Sleeper's paint shop blown down; portions of the roof of the Boy's Home Hotel and Carr's billiard hall unroofed; Beekman's and Jackson's houses badly blown around; Perin's house blown from foundation; Joseph Garber's house badly damaged; the front of McFarland's store torn out; the plow factory torn down; Dr. Tulleys' house and granaries badly blown around; Mr. Crook's house carried away; the livery stable and a number of buildings around the depot blown away. Besides the above mentioned, all the smaller buildings in the town were overturned or demolished, and nearly all the chimneys blown down. It was the most terrible storm ever known in the Republican Valley.
Manufactures.--The Red Cloud flouring and grist mill was built in 1874 by Potter & Sayre. This mill has four run of buhrs and an excellent quality of flour is made. There is a saw mill attached.
The Red Cloud Brewery was established in 1875, by Berenzen & Co. A large quantity of beer is made.
Banks.--Smith Bros.' Bank was organized in 1879, and has always had a very large general banking and collection business. It is a branch of the First National Bank of Beatrice, of which Smith Bros. are the principal members.
The Webster County Bank was established in the fall of 1881. Though just beginning with the enterprise at Red Cloud, this bank has already a large and paying patronage. It does a general loan and collection business.
Hotels.--Besides the boarding houses and restaurants, the hotels are five in number. They are the Holland House, the Boys' Home, the Valley House, the Commercial House, and the Kirby House. The two first named are first class hotels, while all are very good houses.
Churches.--The religious element is well represented in Red Cloud. A number of the different denominations have organized societies, but the only ones having church edifices are the Methodist Episcopal and Congregational, who have large and comfortable buildings, well furnished.
Schools.--From the date of the first settlement, the school has been the pride of the village, and has always been well sustained by the public spirited citizens. The old school house has proved too small; and another one is now in process of erection, which will, when completed, cost about $6,000. The school is now divided in four departments but another is soon to be added.
Charity Lodge, No. 53, A., F. & A. M., was organized under dispensation on March 6, 1874; and on September 4, 1874, organized as a chartered lodge. J. A. Tulleys was the First W. M.
Red Cloud Chapter, No. 19, R. A. M., organized under dispensation, May 25, 1879, and was chartered on February 4, 1880. J. A. Tulleys was the first High Priest; and David M.. Platt, Scribe. The Masonic lodges are both in a prosperous condition with a good membership.
Red Cloud Lodge, No. 64, I. O. O. F., was organized on January 20, 1877. This lodge has a large membership and is in a flourishing condition, with finances ahead.
The Grand Army of the Republic organized in September, 1881, on the day of President Garfield's funeral at Cleveland. The organization was made with twenty-nine members and with N. B. McNitt, Post Commander.
The Women's Christian Temperance Union organized in 1881. It has a large membership, who are working hard in the interests of their order.
The Red Cloud Lodge, I. O. G. T., was organized on January 23, 1874, with A. Maxwell as Grand Worthy Chief Templar.
The Webster County Argus was established in August, 1878, by A. J. Kenney. The Argus is Republican in politics, and is an able newspaper. In size the paper is an eight column folio. It has a large circulation. The office is well fitted up with news and job material.
The Red Cloud Chief was established in July, 1873, by C. L. Mather, who published it until July 1, 1875, when he sold it to M. Warner, who continued its publication until October 19, 1876; he sold it to M. L. Thomas. After publishing it until November, 1877, Thomas sold it to Borin & Springer, but bought it back again on February 18, 1879, and still continues to publish it. The Chief is ably conducted, is Republican in politics, and has a good circulation. It is printed on a Washington hand press on which the oldest paper in Nebraska, the Brownville Advertiser, was first published in 1856. It is said that the first issue of the Lincoln Daily State Journal was printed on the same press.
M. L. Thomas came to Nebraska, with his parents, in the fall of 1866, and located at Plattsmouth. Attended school until the spring of 1867, when he went with his parents to a ranch owned by him, about twelve miles west of Plattsmouth. In the fall of 1869 he left there and spent about a year in Missouri and Kansas; then he went to Glenwood, Iowa, where he was joined by two brothers, and in the spring of 1871 they located on Elm Creek, in Webster County, Neb., and built a stockade. He ploughed the first land in that part of the county. Left the farm in October, 1876, and bought the Chief. In November, 1877, he sold it and went to Louisville, Neb., and bought the Chronicle, which he soon removed to Plattsmouth and published there until the fall of 1878. In February, 1879, he returned to Red Cloud and bought the Chief again, which he has published ever since. He was born on a farm in Monroe County, Ohio, March 21, 1849. Removed from there to Nebraska. He was married in August, 1874, to Miss Sarah A. Lewis, of Plattsmouth, Neb. They have two children--Albert, born July 27, 1875; and Roy, born April 18, 1877.
L. P. ALBRIGHT, President of the Webster County Bank, was born in Mifflin County, Pa., and there raised. He was engaged as a commercial traveler about two years. In 1878 came to Red Cloud, and followed live stock and farming; also a short time engaged in the music business. He has been Deputy Sheriff and Town Trustee. This bank was established October 1, 1881. Mr. Albright bought Dr. Shilder's interest January 1, 1882. He then became President. R. V. Shirey, Cashier of this bank, is a native of Clearfield County, Pa. Was raised in Illinois. Received a course of studies at the Mount Morris Seminary. In the fall of 1876 came to Chicago, and was employed with a wholesale chemical house two years. In 1879 came to York, and entered the banking house of Sayre & Atkins, where he remained for two years. In the fall of 1881 came to Red Cloud, and has since been connected with this bank.
A. T. AYERS, farmer, Section 32, Town 2, Range 12, post office, Riverton, was born October 1, 1830, in Madison County, Ohio. When a year old his parents moved to Tazewell County, Ill. There he assisted on their farm. In 1850 came to Cedar County, Iowa. There married Miss Lucinda Snow, of Indiana. They have one son. In 1867 they removed to Linn County, and followed farming. In November, 1870, they came to Nebraska city. Settled in Webster County February, 1871. Took a homestead of 160 acres, where they now reside. He has since followed farming, and is largely engaged in live stock. Mr. A. has been County Commissioner one term, and has held most of the local offices in his precinct. He enlisted in 1862 in Co. G, Thirty-first Iowa Infantry. Was mustered out as First Sergeant at the close of the war.
GEORGE W. BALL, of the firm of Ball, Cover & Co., farming implements, sewing machines, wagons, etc., was born in Fulton County, Ind., and there raised. He enlisted in August, 1862, in Co. D, Eighty-seventh Indiana Infantry. Was discharged on account of physical disability January, 1863. Re-enlisted November 18, 1863, in Co. G, One Hundred and Twenty-eighth Indiana Infantry. Was mustered out in May, 1868. Was Second Lieutenant. He participated in thirteen battles, among which were the battles of Nashville, Franklin, Atlanta, and others. Was engaged on patrol duty the last year in the service. Returned to Indiana, and was engaged in merchandising about two years, and in farming November, 1870, came to Webster County. Took a claim of 160 acres four and one half miles east of Red Cloud. Engaged in farming about eight years. This farm he still owns. July, 1878, the firm of Miller & Ball was established. This continued till January 1882, when the firm changed to Ball, Cover & Co.
J. P. BAYHA, County Clerk, war born in Wheeling, W. Va., and there raised. Enlisted in 1862 in Battery D, First West Virginia Light Artillery. Served to the end of the war. In 1865 came to Dakota City, Neb., and engaged in merchandising. In the spring of 1878 came to Red Cloud. Was employed as bookkeeper for Samuel Garbon. Held this position till January 1, 1882, when he assumed charge of this office, having been elected County Clerk in the fall of 1881.
CHARLES BUSCHOW, County Treasurer, was born in Prussia. There learned the trade of shoemaking. Worked at it three years. In 1867, came to Woodford County, Ill. Followed this trade one winter, then engaged in farming. In the spring of 1873 came to Webster County, Neb. Took a homestead claim of 160 acres, which he still owns. Mr. Buschow has been Assessor of Potsdam Precinct since it organization, and School Treasurer. Was United States Census Enumerator for 1880. In the fall of 1881 he was elected County Treasurer.
O. C. CASE, firm of Case & McNeny, attorneys at law, is a native of Rochester, N. Y.; was there raised and received his early education. In 1874 came to Iowa City, Iowa, entered the Law Department of the State University; graduated in 1876. He then practiced law in Iowa till 1879, when he came to Red Cloud, where he has since been actively engaged in the practice of his profession. James McNeny, of the above firm, was born January 28, 1854, at Port Henry, N. Y. He entered the Port Jarvis Academy, where he received a preparatory course of studies. He also attended the University of Ottawa, Canada, three and a half years. August, 1876, he entered the Elizabethtown College, there remained till April, 1878, when he came to Red Cloud, Neb. Studied law with H. S. Kaley, subsequently with O. C. Case. Was admitted to the bar November, 1880. The following October he became a member of the law firm of Case & McNeny, which has since continued.
A. COOK, boots and shoes. Was born July 11, 1827, in Prussia, there learned this trade. In the fall of 1846 came to St. Louis, Mo. There worked at his trade. In 1858 he removed to Louisa County, Iowa. Carried on this business in Wapella till December, 1879, when he came to Red Cloud, and opened this store. Married in 1859 to Christina Beck, of Germany. She died in 1864, aged 30 years. Have one son. Second marriage to Charlotte Raco, in the spring of 1871. She is also a native of Germany. They have two daughters.
JOSEPH. GARBER, meat market. Was born July 4, 1840, in Logan County, Ohio. In 1851 came to Clayton County, Iowa, and engaged in teaching school. He enlisted in 1862 in Co. D, Twenty-seventh Iowa Infantry. Served to the end of the war. Returned to Clayton County, and continued teaching. June, 1870, he came to Webster County. In 1872 removed to Nuckolls County. Held the office of County Clerk two terms. In 1875, he was elected a member of the Constitutional Convention. Returned to Red Cloud in 1877. Has since been engaged in farming. During 1871 he held the office of County Commissioner. Mrs. Garber was the first resident white woman in Webster County. They have four children, three daughters and one son.
SAMUEL GARBER, retired, was born December 11, 1821, in Rockingham County, Virginia. At the age of 11 years he came with his parents to Logan County, Ohio. There assisted on their farm. In 1851 came to Clinton County, Iowa, followed farming. October, 1871, he came to Red Cloud. He, with his brother Silas, opened a general store, which was the first general store in Red Cloud. Mr. Richardson was also a member of this firm one year. His brother Silas retired from the firm in 1876, he being elected Governor. Mr. Garber continued this business until January, 1882, when he sold out his stock to A. Kaley. He, with his brother, owns the northern part of the town site. He also owns 400 acres joining the town on the north, and 320 acres in Nuckolls and Webster Counties. Also 307 acres in Kansas. He with his son-in-law are carrying on a general store in Salem, Kansas under the firm name of S. Garber & Co., carrying stock of about $10,000.
HON. SILAS GARBER, retired, is a native of Logan County, Ohio. Was born September 21, 1833. There received a preparatory course of studies. At the age of seventeen he came to Clayton County, Iowa, and engaged in farming. At the breaking out of the war he enlisted in the Third Missouri, known as the Lyon Regiment, and served for about one year. He then returned to Clayton County, Iowa. Again entered the service as First Lieutenant, Co. D, twenty-seventh Iowa Infantry. This company he raised. He served in this capacity for about three months, when he was promoted to Captain of this company. He held this position to the end of the war. He participated in all the battles of the Red River campaign, and Pleasant Hill, La., battles of Old Oaks, Miss., Nashville, Tenn., and others, under the command of Gen. A. J. Smith. He then returned to Clayton County. Soon after went to California,where he remained for four years. In May, 1870, he came to Nebraska, and located in Webster County. He is now the oldest resident of Red Cloud. At this time there were but two settlers in the county. He engaged in farming and general merchandising. He owns this town site, also eighty acres of land with his residence, which is one of the finest in the county. He also owns a tract of land of 101½ acres north of town. He was the first Probate Judge in this county. He also represented Webster, Nuckolls, and Jefferson Counties in the Legislature. After serving one year as Register of the United States Land Office, at Lincoln, he was elected Governor, which office he held two terms, from 1874 to 1878. He is now engaged in raising live stock.
GILHAM & TULLEYS, attorneys at law. J. A. Tulleys was born in Ross County, Ohio, and was there raised. At the breaking out of the war he enlisted in Co. H, Twenty seventh Ohio Infantry. Served three years. Returned to Ohio. Soon after came to Memphis. Was clerk in the Freedman's Depot about six months, then came to Illinois. Soon after returned to Ohio, and engaged in school teaching. In 1871 came to Iowa. May, 1872, came to Red Cloud. There was but four buildings here at that time. He engaged in teaching during the summer, and was subsequently employed as clerk in Mr. Garber's store. In the spring of 1873 he was appointed Deputy County Clerk. Held this office till January 1, 1882. During this time he pursued the study of law. Was admitted to practice March, 1882.
W. E. JACKSON, retired, is a native of Fairfield County, Ohio; there he was raised. Enlisted in 1846 in the Mexican war, Co. H, Third Ohio Infantry. Served one year. In 1851 he came to Alamakee County, Iowa. There engaged in farming. In 1864 he enlisted in Co. B, Twenty-seventh Iowa Infantry. Served to the end of the war. Returned to Iowa, and continued farming. July, 1870, he came to Webster County; the following month came to Red Cloud. Took a homestead claim of 160 acres, which has since been mostly sold for railroad purposes. he also owns 160 acres one-half mile east of town. He was the first Postmaster of Red Cloud; held the office two years. Was also the first County Superintendent. Married January 7, 1851, to Julia Miner of Perry County, Ohio. They have three children--one son and two daughters. Mrs. Jackson was the first white woman who resided in Red Cloud. They built a stockade, where they lived during the winter, accompanied by James Calvert and Finis E. Penny.
C. W. KALEY, attorney at law, was born in Mifflin County, Pa. At the age of seven came with his parents to Wyandot County, Ohio. Attended school and assisted on their farm. In 1874, came to Red Cloud, and studied law with his brother, now deceased. He was admitted to the bar in 1876. He was elected a member of the Legislature in the fall of 1881, to fill a vacancy caused by the death of his brother, H. S. Kaley. He was appointed by the Governor a member of the State Normal School Board. This position he still holds. In the fall of 1879 he was elected County Judge. His brother was the recipient of many important offices, and was appointed by the President Consul to Chemnetz, Germany, and was also a delegate to the Cincinnati Convention at the time of the nomination of President Hayes. He died August 26, 1881.
W. H. LUDLOW, brick manufacturer, was born in Hoboken, N. J., January 1, 1814. At the age of four years he came with his parents to Cincinnati, Ohio. There he was apprenticed to the tanner's trade. He lived there and in Butler County in all about twenty-five years. In 1850 he came to Clinton County, Ind., and engaged in farming. In 1854 removed to Benton County, Iowa, and also followed farming. In 1873 came to Red Cloud, where he has since resided. He owns eighty acres of land. The past year he has been engaged in the manufacture of brick. He was married in 1852 to Miss P. C. Bailey, of Indiana; have five children--four sons and one daughter. He has three sons by a former marriage. His son, Grant S. Ludlow, is now employed in the office of the Red Cloud Chief.
DAVID LUTZ, farmer, was born May 31, 1831, in Union County, Pa. At the age of five years came with his parents to Madison County, Ohio. Assisted on their farm. In January, 1854, came to Benton County, Iowa. There married Miss Rebecca, daughter of Rev. John Summers, then of Benton County. Have four children, one son and three daughters. His son, at the age of seven years, declaimed the Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1875, at Red Cloud. November 13, 18976, with unshod feet, standing on the veritable table, he also declaimed the Declaration of Independence at Philadelphia. Mr. Lutz followed the mason trade in Iowa till the breaking out of the war. He then enlisted in Co. I, Second Iowa Cavalry. Served one year. Lost his right arm, July, 1862, during a cavalry charge near Booneville, Miss. He then returned to Iowa. Was engaged in teaching nine years. In 1871 came to Red Cloud, and engaged in the drug business a short time. Since then has been engaged in farming.
M. B. McNITT, Postmaster, was born in Sandusky County, Ohio, and there raised. Enlisted in the fall of 1862 in Co. G, Nineteenth Michigan Infantry, and served to the end of the war. Returned to Ohio, and engaged in farming. He came to Red Cloud September 8, 1872, put up a house, and opened a hardware store. Continued this business about eighteen months. He was appointed Postmaster January 1, 1874, which office he still holds.
A. S. MARSH, general merchandise. Was born in Oneida County, N. Y. Since a boy he has always been engaged in merchandising. In 1864 came to Chicago. In 1868 came to Beatrice, Neb. May, 1880, came to Red Cloud, and established this business worth about $40,000 a year.
MRS. SARAH MICK was born January 7, 1806, in Servier County, E. Tenn. When a child she came with her parents to Montgomery County, Ohio, where she lived until she was married to Lewis Kiser, January 16, 1823. Then lived within six miles of Dayton till 1830, when she came to Tippecanoe County, Ind., where she lived until 1847. A daughter on the verge of womanhood died in September, 1846. Her husband, Lewis Kiser, died in July, 1847, with erysipelas. Eight days later, a son, twenty-two years old, died with congestive fever. They both became Christians the year before they were married. He was one of the pillars and supporters of the Christian Church at West Point, Ind., and was Elder when he died. They had lived there near thirty years very happily. Her mother being dead, her father had made his home with her for twenty years. He was a preacher in the Christian Church. His names was James Kinkeman. He was born in Maryland, and died at her home February 12, 1853. The next year after her husband died, her oldest son, James Kiser, and oldest daughter were both married. She was left with her two youngest children and her father, and he was getting old and feeble. In about three years she married Charles Mick, and they lived together over ten years, when she was again left a widow. She remained in Indianan, living with her son, James Kiser, until the war broke out. He volunteered, and raised a company, and he was made Captain. This company was called the Fortieth Regiment Indiana Volunteers. He, however, did not engage in a battle, as he took sick, and was sick a long time. He was told to go North or he never would regain his health. Accordingly he went home and stayed at home three weeks. But on account of frequent request to return to the army, he returned too soon, and as soon as he went on duty he was taken sick and died in a few days at Corinth, Miss. His wife and mother had him taken home to bury. He was a good Christian man. He used to get "the boys" together and have prayer meetings in the tents. He died in May, 1862. In 1864 she went to Iowa, having three children married and living there. James had two little daughters--Maggie and Arminta Kiser. In about six years their mother died, leaving word on her deathbed for their grandma to come and get the children. She went from Iowa to Indiana and got the children and had them two years in Iowa. Her youngest daughter was married in Iowa to W. T. McBride, and lived there three or four years after they were married. Mrs. Mick, her son, Luther Mick, and her daughter and husband, McBride, concluded they would come to Nebraska. In 1870 they came to Nebraska with the two little Kiser girls. The McBrides had two small children, the first ever brought to Webster County. There names were Lena and Carrie McBride. Luther Mick was married at Red Cloud, Neb., and now lives at Salem, Jewel County, Kas, keeping store with Garber & Co. He is a good, honest business man. The two Kiser girls are both married. Maggie is Mrs. Dr. Robinson, of Guide Rock, Neb. Arminta is Mrs. Curtis Evans of Red Cloud, Neb. Mrs. Mick has lived alone a great deal in the last two years. He granddaughter, Carrie McBride, is now living with her and going to school. She took a homestead at Guide Rock and lived there six and a half years, and then sold her homestead and came to Red Cloud, the county seat of Webster county, and built a house, and has money left to live on. She obeyed the Gospel in early life, and always tried to live up to her professions. She is seventy-six years old, but is still very active.
J. L. MILLER, dealer in harness and saddles, was born in Fulton County, Ind. Enlisted in 1863 in Co. H, Twentieth Indiana Infantry. Served to the end of the war. Returned to Indiana. In 1867 came to Nebraska, and followed contracting and building in Otoe and Johnson Counties. April, 1874, came to Red Cloud, and put up a few buildings. Afterward employed by Garber & Co. as clerk about eighteen months. He then bought out W. T. McBride, harness, etc. Has since been engaged in this business.
LEVI MOORE, farmer and real estate, was born in Pocahontas County, Va., and there lived till the age of twenty-two, when he came to McHenry County, Ill., and engaged in farming. In 1851 came to Winneshiek County, Iowa, and also followed farming. June, 1873, came to Red Cloud. Has since been engaged in the loan and real estate business, also farming. He owns a farm of 660 acres and one of 160 acres, also his residence in town with ten acres, the Commercial Hotel and livery barn, with twelve lots, the store building now occupied by A. S. Marsh, and other property.
Dr. J. M. MOSENA, physician and surgeon, was born in Monroe County, Ohio, and there raised. Attended the Little Miami Seminary two years. In 1855 came to Burlington, Iowa. Attended the Baptist Collegiate Institute two years. He then took up the study of medicine under the instructions of Dr. Ransom and later with Dr. A. P. McCollough. Then entered the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Keokuk, Iowa. Graduated in 1878. The following year he came to Red Cloud, where he has since resided. The Doctor has been in active practice since 1871. Dr. L. D. Denney, firm of Mosena & Denney, is a native of Brown County, Ohio. Received his medical education with Prof. North, of Keokuk, Iowa. Graduated at the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Keokuk, Iowa. In the spring of 1882 he came to Red Cloud, and became a member of the above firm.
E. M. PERKINS, of the firm of Besley & Perkins, hardware, tinware, stoves, etc., is a native of Bureau County, Ill. At the age of 20 years he entered the employ of Hibbard, Spencer & Co. Continued with this firm about eight years. Most of the time as traveling salesman. In 1880 came to Red Cloud. Has since been a member of the above firm.
A. C. POPE, farming implements, was born in Erie County, Pa.; raised in Wisconsin. He entered the State University, at Madison, and graduated in 1870. He then engaged in school teaching, which he continued till 1874, when he came to Webster County, located in Oak Creek Precinct, and engaged in farming. In 1876 he was elected County Superintendent. Held this office one term. In 1878 came to Red Cloud, and has since been engaged in his present business. He formerly was a resident of Blue Earth County, Minn. There held the office of Deputy Clerk of the Court. Also engaged in school teaching.
C. H. POTTER, real estate, was born in Canada. At the age of sixteen he came to Winneshiek County, Iowa, and engaged in farming. In the fall of 1871 he came to Red Cloud, Neb., and took a homestead of 160 acres, three miles west of Red Cloud. He also owns about a section of other land in Webster County; also four business houses, two residences, and other property in Red Cloud. All of this property he has acquired since coming to Webster county. In 1873 he opened a drug store. This business he continued until May 22, 1880, when he sold out to Henry Cook, who has since carried on the business.
C. E. PUTNAM, groceries, flour and feed, is a native of Broome County, N. Y. He enlisted in 1864 in the Fifth New York Cavalry, and served during the war. In 1877 he came to Peoria, Ill., and there engaged in merchandising and farming. In the fall of 1878 he came to Red Cloud. May, 1879, he established this business.
W. N. RICHARDSON, live stock dealer, was born in Dunkirk, N. Y.; raised in Illinois. He enlisted in 1861 in Co. D, Seventieth Illinois Infantry, and served his enlistment of three months. Returned to Illinois, and engaged in the live stock business. In the spring of 1871 he came to Lincoln. In June, of this year he came to Red Cloud, and in company with Gov. Garber engaged in merchandising, this being the first general store opened in Red Cloud. Continued this business two years. He then engaged in live stock and real estate, which he has since continued. He owns two well improved farms, also property in Red Cloud.
AUGUSTUS ROATS, farmer, was born in Baden, Germany. At the age of eleven he came with his parents to Cape Vincent, N. Y., worked in a shingle mill, farmed, and carried on the cooper business. He enlisted in 1862 in the Tenth Heavy Artillery, and served to the end of the war. Returned to Cape Vincent, and carried on coopering and farming. In 1867 came to Juno County, Wis., and followed farming. July 19, 1870, he came to Webster County, where he has since resided. His family are among the earliest settlers of the county. Mrs. Roats has not been absent one night from this farm since they located here. Mr. R. was married in 1866 to Sarah Blanchard, of Wolf River, Canada. They have five children--two sons and three daughters.
W. H. SAYRE, of the firm of Potter & Sayre, Red Cloud Mills, is a native of Yates County, N. Y. After finishing a preparatory course of studies, he entered Starkey Seminary, where he remained three years, in 1878 he came to Red Cloud, and became a member of the firm January 14, 1882.
[Portrait of S. C. Smith.]
S. C. SMITH, of the firm of Smith Bros., bankers, is a native of Ridgefield, Fairfield County, Conn. At the age of thirteen he secured employment with H. K. Scott, general merchandise, where he remained about six years; he then removed to Stamford, Conn., was clerk in the dry goods house of C. H. Scofield & Bros., one year, and then went to Danbury, Conn; had charge of the dry goods store of Benedict & Nichols two years; he then, with Mr. F. H. Austin, purchased their stock and carried on this business about three years under the firm name of Austin & Smith; in June, 1872, with his brother, J. E. Smith, came to Nebraska, and after looking up a location, they finally settled in Beatrice, and in August, 1872, they opened a banking office under the firm name of Smith Bros. They continued it until 1876, when the First National Bank was organized, with John E. Smith as President, and Samuel C. Smith as Cashier, which still continues. In March, 1878, the firm of Smith Bros. & Thompson established their bank in Red Cloud. Mr. Thompson withdrew from the firm in May, 1881. Mr. Smith's residence in Red Cloud is by far the finest in the county. It was built in 1879, and cost, with barn, and other improvements, about $6,000. He was married, August 10, 1875, to Miss Nellie, daughter of John C. Higby, of Omaha, and niece of United States Senator A. S. Paddock, of Beatrice. They have two children--Nellie E., aged five years, and Charlotte P., aged two and one half years.
E. B. SMITH, farmer, was born in Wyoming County, N. Y. At the age of thirteen he came to Holley, Mich.; worked there in a blacksmith shop about nine months; he then removed to Lake County, Ill; engaged in fishing and blacksmithing about fourteen years; in 1864 he came to Wyoming, Jones County, Iowa, and carried on the blacksmith trade; May 3,1872, he came to Red Cloud, where he has since resided; he owns the farm where he resides, consisting of 160 acres of land, also seventy acres in Smith & Moore's addition, and other town property; he has held the office of Justice of the Peace, and three terms Assessor.
CHARLES W. SPRINGER, County Superintendent, was born in Lamoine, Hancock County, Maine. After receiving a preparatory course of studies, he entered the Eastern State Normal School, and graduated in 1871. He then came to Dawson County in 1873, and in January, 1874, he came to Red Cloud and engaged in teaching. In April, 1880, he was licensed to preach by the Baptist denomination. In the fall of 1881, he was elected County Superintendent. Ordained a Baptist Minister April 30, 1882.
W. H. STROHM, was born in Centre County, Penn., in 1848, and there resided until February 7, 1863, when he entered the Union Army, until August, 1865. After the close of the war he took a course of study and graduated at Dickinson College in 1870. He then read law in Mifflin County, Penn., and was admitted to practice in 1873. In 1874 he was elected District-Attorney of his District. In 1878 he removed to Red Cloud, Nebraska, where he has been actively engaged in the practice of his profession. He was appointed County Surveyor in the spring of 1879 and elected to same office in the fall of same year.
J. L. THOMAS, editor and proprietor of the Red Cloud Chief, was born in Monroe County, Ohio. Came to Nebraska in the fall of 1866, located in Plattsmouth, attended the Plattsmouth High School. In the spring of 1871 came to Red Cloud, took a homestead claim of 160 acres, improved and afterwards sold. This paper was started by C. L. Mather in 1873. Mr. Thomas brought it out Oct. 9, 1876, and with the exception of eighteen months he has since edited this paper.
DR. I. W. TULLEYS, physician and surgeon, is a native of Bainbridge, Ross County, Ohio. After receiving his preparatory course of studies he attended the Salem Academy. In 1854 came to DeWitt County, Ill., taught school and studied medicine. He graduated from the Missouri Homeopathic College at St. Louis; in 1875 came to Red Cloud, Neb. He has since been engaged in the practice of his profession. The Doctor has been County Judge for four years. He is also examining physician for pensions and for several insurance companies, also Commissioner of Insanity Examining Surgeon. He is the oldest practicing physician in this locality.
R. W. VAN DYKE, firm of Van Dyke & Sawdey, proprietors of Boys' Home, was born n Pontiac, Mich. At the age of about four years his parents came to Kendall County, Ill., there he was raised and assisted on their farm; he afterward removed to Bellville, Kansas, engaged in farming and lives stock, in the fall of 1879 came to Steele City, Jefferson County, Neb., run a hotel about eighteen months; in the fall of 1881 came to Red Cloud. He with A. A. Sawdey bought this hotel which they have since managed.
J. C. WARREN, livery and sale stables, was born in Lima Livingston County, N. Y.; when a year old came with his parents to Cass County, Mich., and was there raised. He enlisted in 1864, Company G, Eighth New York Cavalry; served to the end of the war; in 1871 came to Jewell County, Kansas, and laid out the town of Big Bend; in 1873 came to Red Cloud, built the Valley House, which he run about five years, and also run a livery stable, which he still continues, the hotel he has since disposed of; he owns a farm of 160 acres, this livery and barn consisting of twenty head of horses, his residence and other property in town, all of which he has acquired since coming to Nebraska.
H. A. WATSON, livery, was born in DeKalb County, Ill., there raised on a farm and engaged in live stock, he afterwards removed to Iowa, also engaged in live stock at Mapleton, Manona County; in the spring of 1882 came to Red Cloud, brought with him his livery stock, consisting of twelve horses, five buggies, etc.; was married in 1880 to Miss Eora Needles, of Iowa.