Sarpy County: Reminiscences of Sarpy | The Story of the Diamond|
Early Settlements | The Claim Club | Early Towns | Early Events
County Roster | Moving the County Seat | Education
Bellevue: Early History | Gov. Burt | Education | The Press|
Religious | Societies | Brick Maufacturing | Biographical Sketches
Papillion: Early Settlement | The County Court House | Churches|
Education | Societies | The Press | Hotels | Business Interests
Papillion (cont.): Biographical Sketches|
Springfield: Biographical Sketches|
Plattsford Precinct | Richland Precinct | Forest City | La Platte
List of Illustrations in Sarpy County Chapter
This town, so named from the abundance of large springs in the vicinity, rather than in the remembrance of older towns, is located on the small stream known as East Buffalo Creek, and is nine miles from Papillion and five and one-half from the Platte River. Hence, as may readily be seen by a glance at the map, this new place is nearly in the center of the county.
The town of Springfield owes its life to the Missouri Pacific Railway, which, passing near it, employed one of its surveyors to here lay out a town. The town thus platted was upon the land of Maj. J. D. Spearman and covered forty acres. On this site, Maj. Spearman deeded an undivided one-half to the railway company, for depot and other purposes, and they at once put in two long side-tracks and built a neat depot, 24x50 feet.
The town was located in November, 1881, and very shortly thereafter the first store, that of Spearman & Bonner and Spearman & Harrison, was erected. The first dwelling-house was shortly afterward added to the town by Mr. J. Hoover. During the months of November and December, 1881, there was a general exodus from Sarpy Center to the new town, and nine buildings were transferred to the latter. Among these was the Nichols House, long run at Sarpy Center by A. C. Nichols, and now under the same management at Springfield.
It is too early in the history of Springfield to expect much effort in church matters, yet, already the foundation of the Congregational Church is completed and the superstructure will soon follow. This edifice, when completed, will cost $2,200, exclusive of fittings. This church has a membership of sixty. A Methodist Church will also be shortly built, at a cost of $2,000, and will be supplied by Rev. Clinton D. Day, who already holds services at this point and has assembled a congregation of forty members.
Along the east side-track of the railway are the extensive corn-cribs of Spearman & Burch, who handle grain at this point, and on the opposite side is the large lumber yard of D. Dean & Sons.
There are now in the town two general stores, one hardware and three drug stores, one hotel, one restaurant, one lumber yard, two harness shops, a livery stable, two agricultural implement warehouses, a blacksmith shop and a saloon. Of professional men, Springfield boasts of three doctors--Challand, Bates and Miller.
The town is yet too new to enable a reliable judgment of its future, but it is brimming over with pluck and enthusiasm and has already a substantial trade, which, with the rich agricultural region within a radius of six miles as a backing, should increase steadily. It is probable that fifty acres will soon be added to the town site, which will give ample room for expansion.
S. O. SALISBURY, Springfield, lumber agent for Dean & Son, was born in Norway, Herkimer County, N. Y., November 21, 1852. When eighteen years of age, he came to Nebraska, locating at Greenwood, where he engaged in teaching. Was educated at Fairfield Seminary, Fairfield, N. Y. Mr. Salisbury followed teaching most of the time for six years. In 1877, he moved to Ashland, Neb., and entered into the employ of J. A. Connor, dealer in grain, assuming entire charge of the business, remaining there two years. In 1879, he engaged with Dean & Son, dealers in lumber, Phillipsburg, Kansas, taking charge of the yard. In October, 1881, Dean & Son established a lumber yard in Springfield, Neb., and Mr. Salisbury was sent to take charge of the yard. Mr. Salisbury was married in Ashland March 17, 1878, to Miss Julia Osborn, who was born in Ottumwa, Iowa, August 28, 1862. They have one child, Fred O., born January 12, 1879.
EZRA E. SANBORN, P. O. Springfield, farmer and stock-grower, Section 9, Town 13, Range 11, was born in Weare, N. H., August 15, 1831. When one year of age, his father moved to Sutton, N. H. Mr. S. afterward went to Newport, N. H., and there learned the trade of tinsmith, and followed his trade in Cambridge and Boston and other places in Massachusetts for several years. In the spring of 1856, he started West, and landed in Buffalo with but 50 cents in his pockets. There he worked at his trade for a time, and then went to Chicago, feeling very despondent, but went into the manufacture of burning fluid, delivering it to customers, and made considerable money during the winter, when he sold out and purchased a team and wagon, a small stock of Yankee notions, and started for the frontier town of Omaha, in the spring of 1857, arriving there June 11. That season, pre-empted one hundred and sixty acres of land in Washington County, and in the fall found work at his trade in the employ of Milton Rogers, of Council Bluffs, where he remained about two years, when he engaged in butchering, opening two meat markets, and furnishing supplies for the Government troops stationed at that place. In the fall of 1867, he sold out and returned to New Hampshire, to visit his old home, visiting Baltimore, Washington and other places. When returning to his father's home, in the stage, he found ex Gov. Colby a fellow-passenger, who was also a fellow-passenger in the same stage when he left home, about seven years before; also the same driver. In the spring of 1865, Mr. S. returned to the West, and in the spring of 1866 took a load of shingles from Omaha and went out to look at his land, the site of his present home, which he had owned for nine years, but which he had never seen. He was so discouraged at the outlook that he sold out his shingles to William Satterfield and returned to Omaha. However, afterward, he took a load of lumber out to his land and erected a cabin. It was all wild in that section, the nearest neighbors being about four miles distant. Deer could, for two or three years after, be seen almost any day in the vicinity of his cabin, and plenty of antelope on the high ground around. Mr. S. subsequently added to his original purchase of one hundred and sixty acres, other lands, and now owns in a square body six hundred and forty acres of choice farming land, which he is rapidly developing; and, besides grain-raising, he is largely engaged in stock-raising. He has an orchard of one thousand two hundred apple trees, one hundred of which are bearing He has also experimented much in peach-growing, with varying success, though he has raised a great many peaches from three years' growth by the seed. Mr. S. was married in Cambridge, Mass., March 20, 1865, to Miss Caroline L. Brown, of Cambridge. She was born in Wilmot, N. H., October 12, 1837. They have five children--Webster B., born April 1, 1866; Perley A., born June 4, 1869; Clifford Wayne, March 17, 1872; Mary F., born February 23, 1875, and Lavina J., June 12, 1878.
CAPT. JAMES D. SPEARMAN, farmer, stock-dealer, dealer in grain and merchandise, Springfield, was born near Jacksonville, Ill., March 9, 1833. When two years of age, his parents removed to Des Moines County, Iowa, where they lived five years, and then moved to Henry County. In the fall of 1862, he was commissioned to raise a volunteer company for the war. Within five days enlisted a company of one hundred and five men for the Twenty-fifth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and he was elected Captain of Company H. The regiment rendezvoused in Camp Herndon, Iowa, where they organize, and November went South to Helena, Ark., to await orders. They went up the Yazoo with Gen. Sherman, where they had a severe engagement, being repulsed. They then proceeded to Arkansas Post, where they had a sharp engagement, taking the entire garrison prisoners-- ten Texas and three Arkansas regiments, only the cavalry getting away. From there they moved Young's Point, where they remained in camp six weeks, when they joined Gen. Grant's force and went to the rear of Vicksburg. He, with his regiment, was engaged in the first grand charge on the 22d of May, 1863. In this engagement, Capt. S. received a severe gun-shot wound, the bullet striking the left side immediately above the hip, passed through the lumbar regions, lodging in the right side. He still carries the ball in his side as a souvenir of rebel hospitality. The spinal or accessory spinal nerves were injured in the passage of the ball, and the right side has since been more or less paralyzed. In 1878, his right foot became affected with senile gangrene, when he submitted to amputation a portion of the foot, and subsequently submitted to eleven amputations by dissecting away carious portions of the foot; and shortly after, his leg was amputated below the knee. He was discharged, by reason of wounds while at home on leave of absence in Mount Pleasant, Iowa, in April, 1863. While in Iowa, after the war, engaged in farming and stock-dealing until he removed to Nebraska, in February, 1871. Mr. Spearman owns several farms in Nebraska, aggregating upward of 1,400 acres of excellent land, and is largely interested in stock-growing and fattening. Was married in Mount Pleasant, Iowa, March 25, 1855, to Miss Sarah E. Simons, of that place, who was born in Ashtabula, Ohio, December 18, 1836. They have four children--Arthur L., born April 15, 1856; Charles S., July 8, 1859; Cyrus K., August 18, 1861, and J. Etta, September 15, 1862.
Fairview is a post office located in the central part of the county, four miles due south of Papillion. At this point there is a church of the Methodist Episcopal Circuit. This edifice is 28x46 feet, and was erected in 1869, at a cost of $2,500, It is supplied each Sabbath morning from Papillion, and has a membership of sixty. A Sabbath school is also held at this place each Sabbath. There is no record of the organization of this school, but it was known to be in existence prior to 1861. The school has a membership of forty, and is under the charge of J. M. Sipherd.
Saling's Grove is a post office in the southeast portion of the county. It cannot be called a town, but an aggregation of farmhouses. A Sabbath school was organized at this point under the auspices of the M. E. Circuit of Papillion, in the early spring of 1882. This school is under the care of Mr. James Martin, and has an average attendance of twenty.
Xenia.-- There is no town of this name, but for a long series of years a post office has served the people of the southwestern part of the county under this stamp The Postmasters have been as follows: Miss Natalia C. Bates, 1868-70; William E. Bates, 1870-81; Mrs. M. A. Bates, 1881 to the present time. In addition to the post office is a store, kept by Royal G. Grover.
HON. JAMES DAVIDSON, P. O. Xenia, farmer, stock-raiser and dealer, Section 5, Town 12, Range 11, was born in Madison County, Ohio, November 1, 1824. He lived in Ohio most of the time until 1856; was educated in the schools of the county, finishing his education at Granville, Ohio, leaving the college at the age of twenty-two years, when he engaged in farming. He was married, in Cambria County, Penn., October 18, 1851, to Miss Sarah Jane Murphy, of Summit, Penn. She is a native of Philadelphia, born May 22, 1827. In 1856, Mr. Davidson came to Nebraska and settled on the Platte River, where he lived two years, when he moved to his present farm. To his original farm of 160 acres, he had added land until he now owns upward of 1,600 acres of choice farming lands, most of it well improved. He started in farming in Nebraska twenty-six years ago, with very limited means, but giving his undivided attention to farming, has made a success of it, keeping a large stock of cattle, horses and swine. In 1857, Mr. Davidson was elected to the Territorial Legislature, again elected in 1860, and in 1874 was elected to the State Legislature, serving two years; also served one term in the office of County Commissioner. They have one child, Willard H., who is established in business, born March 11, 1853.
JOHN RILEY NICHOLSON, JR., farmer, Section 31, Town 13, Range 12, P. O. Springfield, was born in Washington County, Ind., December 15, 1834, where he lived until thirteen years of age, when his parents moved to Des Moines County, Iowa. In 1852, moved to Rock Island County, Ill., where he lived two years, attending school and working on the farm. In 1854, moved to Johnson County , Iowa, where they lived until 1858, when they moved to Sarpy County, Neb., arriving there May 3, first settling on Section 2, Town 11, Range 12, and moved on their present farm in May, 1865, which he took by pre-emption. He is the eldest son of Dr. Green Benton Nicholson, who was a grandson of Gen. Greene, of Revolutionary fame. Dr. Nicholson was born in Nicholasville, Ky., July 29, 1813, dying February 26, 1877, aged a little over sixty-three years. The mother of Mr. N., Mrs. Angeline McClure Nicholson, died in 1843. John R. was married in Johnson County, Iowa, May 26, 1860, to Miss Zerelda Stewart, who was born in Salem, Ind., April 27, 1842. They have five children--Elijah B., born April 23, 1861; James Beck, March 12, 1864; David Henry, January 14, 1866; Emma Jane, February 18, 1868; John Riley, Jr., November 26, 1876.
ROYAL G. GLOVER, farmer and merchant, Xenia. Mr. Glove was born in Jasper County, Ind., October 22, 1846. When eight years of age, his parents moved to Mills County, Iowa, where they lived two years. In the spring of 1856, they moved to Sarpy County, Neb., in Plattsford Precinct, and where Royal has lived since. He is the oldest settler in Plattsford Precinct, except Mrs. David Arms, whose priority of settlement dates one day earlier. He received his education in his district school. Much of his boyhood was spent with the Pawnee Indians, mixing with their sports and hunting with them before he was able to carry a gun, using the bow. He learned enough of their tongue to be able to converse with them. The Indians were somewhat annoying, but made little disturbance. Mr. Glover was married, in Xenia, November 24, 1867, to Miss Sarah J. Kennedy, of that place. She was born in Chenango County, N. Y., May 15, 1849, coming from Iowa to Nebraska in 1866. They have three children--Olive M., born December 30, 1869; Ralph R., February 12, 1874; Birdie M., May 20, 1878. Mr. Glover owns 218 acres of good farming land in the precinct, and during the last three years, has turned his attention to stock-raising. He embarked in the mercantile trade in 1875, and carries a good stock of general merchandise.
WILLIAM M. SATTERFIELD, farmer and stock-raiser, was born in Carolina County, Md., December 27, 1827, where he lived twenty-seven years, when he moved to Pennsylvania. There he stayed only one year, working on a farm, then living one year in Iowa. In October, 1856, following the "Star of Empire," he came to Nebraska, with a few dollars only in his pocket, spending the winter in Omaha. In the spring of 1857, he engaged with a Mr. Parks to work on a farm, remaining with him two yeas. The next year, he farmed within the present limits of Omaha. In 1860, he engaged in freighting to the mountains, making two trips that season. In the spring of 1862, he moved to his present home, accompanied by his dog, cat, yoke of steers and a cow for companionship, and opened up a bachelor's hall, and commenced farming on his own hook. His early efforts seemed to be ill-starred. One of his steers died, the remaining steer he traded for a span of ancient nags. While bringing them home, one of them fell down and managed to break its neck. He was a good deal discouraged, but his "luck turned." To his original quarter section, he has added lands until he now owns upward of 1,200 acres of choice farming lands, well improved for the most part with more than ten miles of fencing, five miles of which is osage hedge, and the remainder chiefly wire; good buildings; he raises on his farm 400 acres of corn; has a herd generally of 200 head of neat cattle, 200 to 250 head of sheep, and upward of 200 hogs, besides sixteen horses. He has also, for several years, paid considerable attention to fruit culture. He has 800 thrifty apple trees of choice varieties, many of which have been bearing for ten years, besides a larger quantity of smaller fruit. He is one of the many examples of successful farmers in Nebraska, who have commenced with small capital. Mr. Satterfield was married, in Omaha, September 15, 1862, to Miss Rachael A. Jones, who was born in England July 11, 1840. They have five children--William T., born September 13, 1863; George B., July 11, 1866; Henry J., November 30, 1867; Carrie A., May 7, 1872, and Frank R., August 26, 1874; all are at home except William, who is attending the Rathburn Commercial College in Omaha.
M. BIANCHI, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 27, Town 14, Range 11 east, P. O. Nasby, was born in Italy April 22, 1834. He emigrated to America in 1849; served in the United States regular army fifteen years; located in Sarpy County in 1869 and engaged in farming, and has an improved farm of 560 acres, 300 of which is cultivated land, balance in pasture. His stock consists (on an average) from ten to twelve horses, seventy-five to one hundred head of cattle, and from one hundred and fifty to two hundred hogs. Was married, in 1859, to Miss Margaret McCullagh, in North Fork, Va., and have seven children living--Anthony, born June 30, 1860; Margaret, October 4, 1862; Louis, April 4, 1865; Samuel, May 16, 1868; Minnie, February 13, 1870; Willis, August 17, 1878; John, September 3, 1881. Mr. Bianchi was appointed Postmaster at Nasby April 5, 1875.
JACOB COOK, farmer, Section 35, P. O. Peach Grove, was born in Roanoke County, Va., January 30, 1820, and lived there until twenty-eight years of age, when he moved to Clinton County, Mo., where he remained about four years, when he removed to Wheeling, Va., and engaged in the coal trade. From Wheeling he moved to Bellaire, Ohio, where he spent a few years, from there moving to Nebraska, in December, 1880, and has since engaged in farming. He was married, near Salem, Va., August 13, 1846, to Miss Francis Missur, of Salem, who was born near Richmond, Va., June 1, 1832. They have eight children--Mary, born April 10, 1848; Elizabeth H, September 10, 1849; John William, October 18, 1851; Joseph, May 14, 1854; Henry, March 13, 1857; Jacob, November 11, 1859; Kate Isabell, August 12, 1865, and Samuel, May 12, 1868.
CLARENCE E. KEYES, P. O. Box Springfield, farmer and stock-grower, Section 11, Town 13, Range 11. Mr. Keyes was born in Spencer, Mass., November 24, 1849. He was educated in the public schools; entered the Chicopee High School, where he attended three years. He came to Sarpy County, Neb., in October, 1868, and went to farming. In October, 1873, he purchased three hundred and twenty acres of land, on which he now resides, nearly all of which is under good improvement, with an orchard, and forest trees of walnut, ash, etc. He is quite extensively engaged in horse meat stock and hog raising. .Mr. Keyes was married in Omaha, October 5, 1873, to Miss Anna B. Hodge, of Omaha, who was born in Glasgow, Scotland, March 16, 1851. They have four children--Nettie E., born October 6, 1874; Edward C., March 29, 1877; Anna Bell, September 29, 1878, and Idell, July 14, 1881. His parents, Edward and Rachel Keyes, both natives of Massachusetts, both reside at Springfield.
JOHN LOVELL, farmer, Section 3, Town 13, Range 11, P. O. Nasby. Mr. Lovell was born in Dumfries, Ontario, April 21, 1833, where he was educated and learned the trade of carpenter, which he followed until he left Canada in the fall of 1868, when he came to Sarpy County, Neb. He came all the way through with a team, making the trip in six weeks, arriving on the 7th of November, bringing his family with him. One of the horses of the team which he drove through he still owns, and which is doing farm duty at the age of twenty-three years , still active and strong. It was by dint and economy that Mr. Lovell managed to support his family and team through the winter, and he commenced farming in the spring with a capital of $12, and out of this sum he had to erect a shelter for his family, which he erected on rented land. Flour was $6 per hundred and rather scarce in his family for several months, and was obliged to do his work with a grass-fed team. At that time the nearest school was eight miles distant, and had to go to Omaha, eighteen miles, to trade and market. In 1869, he took a homestead of forty acres, which he subsequently sold, and, in 1875, he purchased 160 acres of unimproved land. He has it now all inclosed in a willow hedge fence; has an orchard of 200 apple and 100 trees of other fruit, all thrifty, and a grove of timber. Mr. Lovell was married, in Port Huron, Mich., October 25, 1859, to Miss Eleaner Stuart, of Middlesex County, Ontario. They have five children--Sylvanus O., born July 13, 1862; John S., April 22, 1865; William E., February 12, 1868; George I., February 6, 1870; Archibald J., January 3, 1875.
JOHN PETTY, farmer and stock-grower, P. O. Springfield, Section 15, Town 11, Range 11, was born in Pushlinch, Ontario, November ,1841, where he lived until the spring of 1866, when he came to Nebraska, arriving at Omaha June 5. He came through from Canada with a team, making the tip in four weeks and two days. In 1870, he purchased one hundred and sixty acres, on which he now resides, and subsequently added eighty acres, making two hundred and forty acres, all under good improvement--recently erecting a dwelling house at a cost of $1,500, and added other improvements. He had but $5 when he arrived in Omaha. He has paid special attention to rearing horses for some years, with success. For two years he has exhibited several head of young horses for all purposes, at the County and State Fairs, and carried away the first premiums, and now owns about twenty head, many of them very fine animals. He has done much by careful and intelligent breeding to advance the interest of horse-breeding in the State. Mr. P. was married in Canada, January, 1860, to Miss Elizabeth Coleman. She died in Richland Precinct, Neb., July 7, 1879, aged about thirty-eight years. He had four children--Jennie, born in November, 1861; James, January, 1866; Julius, June 8, 1870; and Phoebe on July 22, 1872.
ABRAM S. SNIDER, P. O. Springfield, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 1, Town 13, Range 11. Mr. Snider was born in Livingston County, N. Y., September 4, 1831; when six years of age his parents moved to Hardin County, Ohio, where he was educated and worked on the farm until the age of twenty-one. In 1856, Mr. Snider went to Iowa City, Iowa, and engaged in farming. In February, 1874, moved to Nebraska and commenced farming, purchasing 160 acres, on which he now lives, and which is well improved by building and fencing, and a young, thrifty orchard. Mr. Snider was married, near Iowa City, July 24, 1861, to Mrs. Margaret A. Ward, of Iowa City. She has two children, John Ward M., born December 12, 1851, and Alice Ward, December 28, 1858. They have four children--Chloe E., born January 16, 1862; David C., January 7, 1864; Mary P., January 19, 1868; Edwin George, July 6, 1872.
REV. FATHER J. V. WALLACE, Pastor of St. Patrick's Church, Forest City, Neb., was born in County Limerick, Ireland, November 20, 1850. When one year of age, his father emigrated to America, settling in Orange County, N. Y. John attended the public schools and assisted his father on the farm until the age of nineteen, when he entered the seminary of our Lady of Angels, Suspension Bridge, N. Y., where he remained for nine years, taking a classical course of five years, and four years of philosophy and theology. Was ordained a Priest June 7, 1879; two weeks after, came West, arriving in Omaha July 1; went to Lincoln, Neb., and became assistant priest to Father C. J. Quinn, where he remained until January 25, 1880. He then went to Seward, Neb., to take the place of Father P. N. O'Brien. On the 15th of December, 1880, he came to Forest City, Neb. His parents, David and Mary Wallace, still live in Orange County, N. Y.
JOHN CONDON (deceased) was born in Limerick, Ireland, June 24, 1808. When eighteen years of age he emigrated to America, locating in Troy, N. Y., where he learned the trade of carpenter and stair-builder. He lived there seven years, when he went into the employ of the American Fur Company, following his trade with that company four years. He then went into the employ of the Government, working on the barracks in Florida, Louisiana and other places for several years. In 1849, he came to Galena, and there plied his trade. He was married in Galena, October 7, 1850, to Miss Joanna P. Powers, who was born in St. John, N. B., July 4, 1827. He lived in Galena until 1868, when he came to Omaha, Neb., soon after moving to Forest City, where he lived until his death, which occurred December 17, 1875. In addition to his trade, in which he was highly skilled, he was a practical horticulturist and proficient in botany, in both of which he took great delight. He kept a garden filled with curious and rare flowers, shrubbery and trees, which was for several years of his late life the object of his patient care and solicitude. He was a man of self-culture, of quiet, thoughtful ways, though social. He was buried in the Catholic cemetery of Forest City. He left five children--Mary, John D., Daisy, Joseph T., William Francis Condon.
S. B. BATCHELDER, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. La Platte. Mr. Batchelder was born in Lower Canada, January 8, 1836, where he lived until the age of seventeen, when he moved to Franklin County, Vt. In the spring of 1856, came to La Platte, then called Laramie Mills, where he found employment in the saw-mill. He afterward purchased a third interest in the mill. In 1864, disposed of his interest in the mill, and in company with Levi Kimball established a stage line from Omaha to Plattsmouth, making daily trips. The route was abandoned on the opening of the Omaha & Southwestern Railroad in 1870. Mr. B. was engaged in freighting, in 1859, sometimes for the Government and sometimes for himself. It was during that season that the great Black Hills excitement culminated in a stampede homeward, "busted," declaring that there was no gold, but there was plenty of starvation and murder in the hills. The disappointed gold-seekers were wild with excitement, threatening vengeance on newspapers and newspaper men, who they claimed had deceived them. They occasioned, by their numbers and attitude, great uneasiness at the ferry at Plattsmouth and other points, and they often took possession of the ferries, or forced the owners to take them across free. Most of the citizens were only too happy to see them across the river. On the opening of the Union Pacific Railroad, in 1865, freighting was practically abandoned. In the fall and winter of 1861, Mr. Batchelder hauled quartz rock from the mines to the mills, and the following spring engaged in mining, which he followed about one year, when, returning to La Platte, he commenced farming, lumbering, ferrying and staging. Mr. Batchelder and Thomas B. Holman now own a saw-mill in Forest City, Sarpy County. Mr. Batchelder was married in La Platte, January 8, 1867, to Miss L. M. Peters, of La Platte, who was born in North Briston, Conn., September 10, 1846. They have four children--Helen born January 8, 1869, Harriet E., October 27, 1872; Electa, July 9, 1876, and Arthur, September 25, 1880.
HON. GEORGE S. BURTCH, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 15, Town 13, Range 13, was born in, Zanesville, Ohio, January 5, 1835; lived in Ohio until the age of nineteen years, when he moved to Iowa, where he lived until the spring of 1855, when he moved to Nebraska, locating in Bellevue, and has since been engaged in farming most of the time. In the fall of 1859, he went over the plains and engaged in trading and freighting; opening up a ranch, he built an adobe house and lived in the primitive style of the times, about thirty miles west of Ft. Kearney. He with his brother, Hon. S. F. Burtch, are the joint owners of 300 acres of land, including considerable timber land; they commenced their improvements in 1856. Much of the time the farm has been under the management of the brother, George, and is under a good state of improvement; they have successfully devoted much attention to stock-growing and bee culture, their present stock consisting of fifty head of graded animals. In July, 1863, Mr. Burtch was elected Clerk of Sarpy County, under Territorial government, and in 1872, was elected a member of the Legislature from his county. Mr. Burtch was married in La Platte, December 17, 1874, to Miss Jenny Jarman, of La Platte, a native of Ohio; they have two children--Bessie, born November 24, 1875; and Sarah Olive, born August 14, 1880.
THOMAS B. HOLMAN, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 24, Town 13, Range 13, P. O. La Platte, was born in Hannibal, Mo., February 22, 1839; lived in Missouri till the age of twenty years; in the spring of 1859, he went to Pike's Peak, remaining there till fall, when he came to La Platte, returning to the mines the following spring and remaining there one year; returning to La Platte, he engaged in freighting until 1865; he then purchased 160 acres of land, and subsequently added eighty acres, and has successfully followed farming and stock-raising. Mr. Holman has held the office of District School Treasurer for several years. He was married in Forest City, Sarpy Co., November 14, 1867, to Miss Jennie Ingersoll, of Forest City. They have four children--Hattie T., born January 15, 1869; Bertie J., born January 3, 1871; Lizzie B., born July, 1873; and Sarah Inez , born February 17, 1881. Mr. Holman was elected Justice of the Peace in 1876, and Assessor of La Platte in 1881-82.