KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS


Andreas' History of the State of Nebraska
PAWNEE COUNTY
Produced by Dick Taylor.




Part 2


PAWNEE CITY.

    Pawnee City was surveyed by Josiah J. Lebo, County Surveyor, in January, 1857. The land was described as the southwest quarter of Section 11 east. The survey was made by the order of Messrs. E. W. Fowler, John C. Peavy and Joseph Fries, the then County Commissioners. In July, 1858, Table Rock was incorporated as a town, and Pawnee City, as its untiring rival, followed its example. It was incorporated under the style of the town of Pawnee, upon the petition of J. S. Woods, J. N. McCasland, A. C. Dean, Fielding Liming, J. B. Norton, B. P. Beebee and J. W. Cochran -- the first five gentlemen being named as the Board of Trustees. This proved to be an organization but in name, really. In April, 1871, a petition was presented to the Court of Commissioners for a regular, real, bona fide town organization. It was not granted until the next month -- May 6 -- the corporate limits being made to comprise 480 acres of land in Sections 26 and 27. The first Board of Trustees consisted of G. T. Belding, G. M. Humphrey, William Orr, A. S. Stewart and E. J. Shellhorn; F. S. Hassler, Clerk. By the passage of the general State law fixing the population of cities of the second class at 1,500, Pawnee City, which had assumed the municipal form of government, was obliged to assume, two years ago, a village organization. Its officers at present are: Trustees, F. R. Joy, E. J. Shellhorn, William Orr, Enoch Duer and G. T. Morey; Clerk, John J. Coard; Chief of Police, Charles Goodale. Although in August, 1881, Pawnee City suffered a terrible conflagration, she has no fire department.

THE GREAT FIRE.

    On the 9th of August, 1881, at 12:30 o'clock in the morning, a conflagration swept over Pawnee City, and, in less than three hours, destroyed over half its business portion, causing a loss to its citizens of $50,000. Not more than one-fourth of this amount was covered by insurance.

View
[Panorama view of Pawnee City]
PAWNEE CITY.

    It originated in the rear of Reeder's drug store, between Broadway and the street facing the court house square. The buildings north and south were soon in flames, C. T. Edee & Co.'s bank, Stewart & Vanderpoel's and other business houses being destroyed. The flames to the north were stayed by the wide street and the stone building opposite. Joy, Eckman & David, bankers; Duer Bros., agricultural implements; Shellhorn & Davis, merchants, and others, were the sufferers on Washington street. The breeze which sprang up from the southwest doomed the Republican office. Little & Ryburn's furniture house, Hassler & Nichols' drug store, the marble works of Dobbs & Rogers, and other well-known business establishments. Further spread of the conflagration east and north was stopped by the exertions of brave workers on the roof of the Arlington House, and by the fire-proof roof of Capt. G. M. Humphrey's law office. In less than three hours, twenty-six business houses were destroyed, and the conflagration seemed a death-blow to Pawnee City -- that is, at first glance. But before a week had passed away, she arose from her ashes as pluckily as Chicago. She already contemplated sixteen fire-proof brick buildings. By the end of the year 1881, Pawnee City had erected structures of a much more substantial character in the district over which the fire had swept. During the year, twenty-eight new business houses were erected, and buildings of all kinds had been put up, which represented $125,000; so that, taking everything into consideration, the citizens of Pawnee City speak of their great fire as almost a blessing.

EDUCATIONAL.

    Pawnee City possesses one of the finest school buildings in Southern Nebraska. It is constructed of red brick, is three stories high with a good basement and imposing tower. In a word, its whole appearance is substantial and stately. The building contains six large school rooms, and was constructed in 1873 at a cost of $15,000.

    The enrollment of the district (No. 1) is 349, and attendance 297. The scholars are divided or graded into the High School, Grammar, Intermediate and Primary Departments. The Principal of the school, W. H. Gardner, is assisted by Lenore Hassler, A. S. Batton, W. A. Osler, May Fuller and Lucy M. Olds. Notwithstanding the facilities afforded by this large structure, the citizens find it so overcrowded that they are discussing the feasibility of erecting another building.

THE PRESS.

    The Pawnee Republican is an outgrowth of the first paper published in the county. Hon. Thomas R. Fisher, of Brownville, formerly of the Brownville Advertiser, established the Pawnee Tribune in August, 1868. Mr. Fisher was liberally assisted in his enterprise by the citizens of Pawnee City, who subscribed half the required capital. The first number was issued from the office of the Advertiser, and in three or four weeks another appeared, which had its birth in the upper room of the building afterward occupied by E. Kingsbury and S. Agnew, Pawnee City.

    Although Mr. Fisher was a fine practical printer, he lacked other requisites which go to make a successful newspaper publisher, and J. L. Edwards purchased the establishment. He managed the paper for nearly a year, when he sold a one-half interest to Fred S. Hassler, and at the end of over a year and a quarter J. N. Hassler became a partner. In December, 1872, A. E. Hassler bought the entire establishment, and changed the name to the Pawnee Republican. In January, 1876, Fred S. Hassler revived the Tribune, associating with himself J. C. Story. In July, 1876, J. N. Hassler purchased the Tribune from F. S. Hassler, and entered into partnership with A. E. Hassler, who had been conducting the Republican since 1872. The paper then assumed its present name, the Pawnee Republican. Its name indicates its politics. The Republican is an eight-column folio, and is in the line of legitimate succession with one of the earliest journals established in the interior of the State. The journal is ably conducted, giving particular attention to local matters.

    The Enterprise was established at Table Rock in August, 1877, by B. F. Risley, who had previously been connected with a newspaper in Breckenridge, Mo. In May, 1878, the journal was purchased by W. F. Wright, of Pawnee City, an old and well-known citizen of the county, who had served it in several official positions. The first issue of the Enterprise from its office in Pawnee City, was on the 15th of May. G. G. Wallace, recently from Monmouth, Ill., was associated with Judge Wright in the management of the paper, the style of the new firm being Wright & Wallace. Judge Wright retired in August, 1879, his interest having been purchased by Mr. Wallace. The latter remained the sole proprietor until September, 1881, when R. B. Wallace, a younger brother, was admitted into partnership, the style of the firm name becoming as at present, Wallace & Wallace. The Enterprise is pronounced and independent in the expression of its opinions, and is one of the best local papers in Southern Nebraska. It is Republican in politics, and a stanch prohibitionist.

CHURCHES.

    Methodist Episcopal Church. -- In the spring of 1856, a small band of Methodists gathered at the home of Henry Shellhorn, on South Fork, and listened to the first sermon ever preached in the county, it being delivered by Rev. David Hart, of the Methodist Episcopal Church. A class was formed shortly after, consisting of Mrs. Elizabeth Shellhorn, Gerome Shellhorn and wife, Christian Bobst and wife, and others.

    Rev. Mr. Copeland organized a mission church in the vicinity of Pawnee City, two years later. Since then, Revs. L. W. Smith, Isaac Burns, Hiram Burch, Alvin G. White, Martin Pritchard, William A. Presson, Leroy F. Britt, Thomas Audas, S. P. Wilson, Joseph H. Presson and Hiram Burch have served their church. The latter is now in the second year of his second term. During his first pastorate, lots were secured and a parsonage erected. In 1867, the present brick church edifice was erected at a cost of $7,000. The society also now owns a parsonage worth $1,500. Its membership is 185, and it is flourishing in every way, and growing continually. The Sunday school, with and average attendance of 140, is superintended by E. J. Shellhorn; D. D. Davis, Secretary.

    Presbyterian Church -- Organized July 15, 1866, by Rev. H. M. Giltner and Luther Hoadley, R. E., as Presbyterian Committee, with the following members: Joseph S. Woods, Mary Woods, Hugh Wright, W. F. Wright, Maggie Wright, Mrs. S. E. Giltner, Robert Kirkpatrick, Margaret Kirkpatrick, Alex. Allen, Margaret Hanna, Eliza Lindsley and Mary Taylor. Since Rev. Mr. Giltner's incumbency, Andrew Herron, Rev. Mr. Chambers, Rev. G. W. Goodale, Rev. J. Baker and Rev. G. W. Goodale, have successively occupied the pulpit. None of the ministers mentioned above were in the relation of pastor except Rev. Mr. Giltner. For many years the growth of the church was not encouraging, particularly after enough members were taken from the Pawnee City Church to organize one at Summit, eight miles west, and another six miles south, called Ebenezer. This was about ten years ago. The church at Pawnee City is now in a flourishing condition, with a membership of about ninety. Rev. Nathaniel Chestnut is about to be installed as pastor. Present officers of the Church: Ruling Elders, G. W. Potts, B. H. Fuller, D. C. Stratton, W. O. Henry, J. L. Edwards; Trustees, D. D. Lee, E. S. McMaster, R. Holben, D. C. Stratton, J. L. Edwards; Clerk of Session, J. L. Edwards.

    The church building was erected in 1868, at a cost of $1,200, situated then on the south side of the square. It was removed to its present location in 1877. The entire property; including parsonage, is valued at $3,000.

    The First United Presbyterian Church was organized in the fall of 1867, by Rev. Thomas McCartney, of Nebraska City. The members were Mary Wright, W. F. Wright, Maggie Wright, Hugh Wright, Robert Kirkpatrick, Margaret Kirkpatrick, Margaret Harrah and Mr. and Mrs. Margrave. Rev. Robert Campbell and Rev. Mr. Elliott supplied the pulpit for the first three or four years, but the first regular pastor was Rev. R. J. McCready, the present incumbent. He commenced his pastorate in 1871. At present the society is in a most flourishing condition, owning a church building which cost $2,600, and having 240 members. It is one of the strongest societies of this sect in the State.

    First Baptist Church. -- In the fall of 1866, Elder Robert Turner organized a Baptist Church on West Branch, with the following members: Mrs. Mary Turner, Mary Turner, W. C. Tallman, Mrs. Maria Tallman, Mary E. Tallman, William Gilkerson, Mrs. Jennette Gilkerson, Alice and Mary Gilkerson, John Bruch, Mrs. Sarah Bruch, Samuel Halsey, Mrs. Sarah Halsey and Mrs. Small. After two years of regular preaching, the society was disbanded, and, in August, 1869, an organization was formed in Pawnee City by Elder Thomas, of Salem, Richardson County. Simeon Lincoln, Nathan Pierce, Mrs. Nathan Pierce, J. W. Hales, John Bruch, Mrs. Sarah Bruch, Mrs. Jennette Gilkerson, Alice and Mary Gilkerson and Mrs. Sarah Halsey were the original members. The pastors of the society have been Rev. W. B. Bingham, 1870; B. M. Daniels, 1871; Rev. George O. Suell, 1872; Rev. J. Carrington, 1873; Rev. G. T. Webster, 1876-77; Rev. N. P. Hotchkiss, 1878-80; Rev. L. B. Wharton, 1881; Rev. J. W. Fish, present incumbent. In 1875, the society purchased a building of the Christian Church, which constitutes their place of worship. The Baptist Church has property, including the parsonage, valued at $3,500, with a membership of eighty-two. Its large Sunday school numbers 100 members. Since 1876, however, the church has been without a pastor for a portion of each year.

    The Christian Church was organized in September, 1866, by Elder D. R. Dungan, with the following members: W. B. Raper, J. B. Judd, Mrs. Elvira Judd, W. F. Fowler, Eliz. Fowler, Hattie Hollinshead (now Mrs. Wills). J. W. Hollinshead, Elder R. Linn, W. S. Linn. Mrs. W. S. Linn, J. L. Linn, Mrs. J. L. Linn, Louis Linn. Martha M. Linn, Emma Linn, Anna Linn, Jennie Linn, J. A. Bonine, Hannah Galligher, F. F. Liming, George Bush, Mrs. George Bush, J. W. Moore and Mrs. E. J. Moore. Occasional services were held by Elders G. R. Hand and R. C. Barrow. In the spring of 1867, Elder Dungan became the regular pastor, and served the society for three years. Elder Clerk Bradon also preached regularly in 1870. In the spring of 1867, a church edifice was erected, and in 1874 it was purchased by the Baptists. From 1870 to 1873, there was no regular preaching, but the society persistently upheld its organization. During the latter years, Elder S. A. Hoover commenced his pastorate, preaching every alternate Sunday. The balance of the time is filled out by Elder T. A. Parker, so that the pulpit is now regularly supplied. On January 1, 1882, a second church edifice was dedicated, with appropriate ceremonies, Elder D. K. Dungan, the first pastor of the church, presiding. The society is now flourishing and numbers some seventy members. The Sabbath School is also in good condition.

SOCIETIES.

    Interior Lodge, No. 9, I. O. O. F., was instituted August 1, 1864, by Grand Master Jonas Hacker, of Brownville, Rev. A. G. White, being its first N. G. Its charter members were Robert Taylor, A. G. White, Alex. H. Stewart, H. H. Marsh, Benj. Rogers and A. P. Cogswell. Present officers: J. J. Coard, N. G.; D. D. Davis, V. G.; L. C. De Coudres, Secretary; H. C. Goodale, Treasurer. The present membership is about seventy.

    Golden Rule Encampment, No. 17, I. O. O. F., was instituted January 18, 1882. Its officers are: S. S. Pennell, H. P.; L. C. De Coudres. C. P.; Grin Bates, S. W.; H. Ellis, J. W., J. J. Coard, Secretary; H. C. Goodale, Treasurer. The membership of the Encampment is about twenty.

    The Odd Fellows have a well-furnished and commodious hall in the Court House, in which also meet the Masons and the Daughters of Rebecca. The order is in such good condition, financially, that a new hall is about to be erected on Washington street. It will be 25x70 feet, and elegantly furnished.

    Daughters of Rebecca, Lodge No. 4, was instituted in 1873. It now has a membership of twenty-five, with Laura J. De Coudres, as N. G.

    The Masonic Lodge was organized in October, 1869, C. F. Nye, W. M.; Aug. Rice, S. W.; George W. Collins, J. W.; George M. Humphrey, S. D.; Samuel S. Shannon, J. D.; R. A. Kennedy, Secretary ; J. S. Davenport, Treasurer; John Orr, Tiler. The present officers of the lodge are J. L. Edwards, W. M.; A. E. Hassler, S. W.; Jacob Fulton, J. W.; John Cummins, S. D.; J. N. Plummer, J. D.; W. C. Lane, Treasurer ; C. E. Casey, Secretary; N. Sullivan, Tiler. The present membership is eighty-two.

    Knights of Pythias, dispensation granted March 20, 1882, by H. F. Downs, G. C., of Lincoln. The present officers of the lodge are: P. C., G. L. Edwards; C. C., Charles E. Casey; V. C., M. A. Rice; P., G. T. Morey; K of R. & S., F. S. Hassler; M. of A.. Julius Rhodes; I. G., J. H. Cummins; O. G., U. Sullivan. Their present membership is eighty-two, and they rent their hall in the court house.

BUSINESS HISTORY.

    During the year 1857, quite an influx of settlers took place, and preparations were made to establish Pawnee City as a business center. Rogers erected a saw-mill a short distance west of the town site, and soon after J. S. Woods and Eben Jordan engaged in the same business. The result was that neither mill prospered. J. B. Morton, of Missouri, opened a general store, the first one in Pawnee City. The next year, F. F. Leming followed in his footsteps. The hard times were fairly upon the early settlers of the county by 1858, and to add to their sufferings the land sale was ordered to take place. It was finally postponed for a year, however, the Commissioners passing a resolution that all "lots in Pawnee City which have not been legally conveyed by deed previously, except lots on which the full amount has been paid, shall be sold to the highest, bidder at auction, June 6, 1859." The experience of those living in Pawnee City and the county, at this time, was the common lot of pioneers throughout the State. They were obliged to borrow money at 25 and even 40 per cent interest to stave off the casualty of "being sold under the hammer." The season of 1859 was very backward, which did not tend to encourage the business growth of Pawnee City. It was during this year, however (1859), that Butler & Raper opened another general store -- the third in Pawnee City. The season of 1860 was dry and discouraging. Notwithstanding this fact, Dr. J. N. McCasland opened a drug store. Martin Tigert also thought he could make money by furnishing so-called "refreshments" to the people of Pawnee City. The saloon ran about six months -- the first and only institution of the kind. Col. Raper bought out the saloon-keeper; and, of course, discontinued the business. Tigert moved farther west -- "to grow up with the country." It is but justice to add that the prime "movers" in the discontinuance of the saloon were the ladies of Pawnee City, most prominent of whom were Mrs. Mary Woods (deceased) and Mrs. J. W. Fry, now of Table Rock. Within the next five years, population and business increased, Messrs. Butler & Fowler being prominent merchants in 1865. The next year, Messrs. Peter and Ed. Shellhorn commenced business in the general merchandise line, while, by 1867, Capt. G. M. Humphrey, and other representatives of the legal fraternity, commenced to make themselves felt and heard in Pawnee City. There was, however, one serious drawback to the development of this point as a business city -- its lack of railroad facilities. And yet, by 1872, the bulk of its general trade had so increased that the "State Bank of Nebraska" was established by Messrs. Chester Schoolcraft and J. N. Eckman. But Pawnee City was bound to grow, although it had no railroad. In December, 1881, the first regular train was put upon the Wymore branch of the Republican Valley road (?), and Pawnee City was in direct railway communication. A marked improvement in her business prosperity is already observable. When the road has been extended, Pawnee City will be on the direct route to Denver. Even now her transactions in the line of general merchandise amount to $260,000, and in all other branches to fully $500,000. 'There are two banks, a good flour-mill, an extensive cigar manufactory, and some of the most solid houses of general merchandise in Southern Nebraska. Pawnee City has an abundance of churches and societies, a fine school, two well-conducted newspapers and a hotel, which are found represented in detail in the sketches below. According to the figures of the local Assessors for 1881, the valuation of real estate in the city was $88,441; of persona property, $96,515. The population of Pawnee City is now placed at 1,500. The place is beautifully situated, the valleys of the Nemaha stretching away from it, and forming an expanse of country extremely picturesque.

View
[C. T. Edee & Co. Bank]
BANKING HOUSE OF C. T. EDEE & CO.

    Banks. -- Chester Schoolcraft and J. N. Eckman established a banking house, called the state Bank of Nebraska, with a capital of $50,000; this was July 26, 1872. Mr. Eckman was President, and Mr. Schoolcraft, Cashier. By the death of the latter, the affairs of the bank were seriously interfered with, but Gen. David Remick, assisted by Mr. Eckman, Capt. George M. Humprhrey, Judge William F. Wright and Dr. William Jacobs, came to the rescue, too stock, and re-established the bank with a capital of $50,000, one-quarter of which was paid up. The re-organization was effected as the Farmers' State Bank -- Gen. Remick, President; J. N. Eckman, Cashier; D. Remick, J. N. Eckman, W. F. Wright, G. M. Humphrey and William Jacobs, Directors. In January, 1881, the present private banking house of Messrs. Joy, Eckman & David was formed, they being the immediate successors of the Farmers' State Bank. They do a general banking and collection business, and are about to move into elegantly and conveniently arranged new quarters.

    The private banking house of C. T. Edee & Co., was established January 6, 1881, Charles E. Casey being the second member of the firm. They were burned out during the great fire of August, but during the following winter erected a fine brick block on Main street, where the bank is located. It is substantial in appearance, is ornamented with stone trimmings, and is an evidence of the prosperity of the bank. C. T. Edee & Co. do a general business, and are one of the moneyed institutions of Pawnee City.

    Arlington House. -- In 1867-68, J. S. Woods erected a two-story brick structure, long known as the "Woods House." In January, 1881, S. R. Johnson [sic], who had been engaged in the hotel business in Pawnee City for some time before, rented the property and changed the name to the Arlington House. It is now the only hotel in Pawnee City, and has accommodations for forty guests.

    Pawnee City Mills (merchant and grist) were moved from Toulon, Ill., in 1878. Their present proprietors are William Headley and C. R. Pierce. The mills have three run of stone, and a capacity of 100 barrels of flour per day.

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.

    HON. J. B. ERVIN, merchant, Pawnee City, was born in Saline County, Mo.; moved to Indiana in 1855, and came to Nebraska in 1869; was located at Brownville until 1871, when he came here and has been active in the industries of the locality since. In 1876, he was married to Miss Lillie McCasland, of Pawnee City, who was born in Indiana. They have a family of one son and a daughter -- Charles and Minnie. Mr. E. has been an active and efficient man in the business, social and political life of his locality. At present an incumbent of the Senatorial chair for the Eighteenth District of Nebraska.

    HOWARD ELLIS, photograph artist. Pawnee City, is a native of Maine; came to Nebraska, Pawnee City, in 1869, and has been identified with his present business since. In 1866, he was married to Miss Carrie Drew, of Maine. They have two daughters -- Hattie and Blanche.

    GEORGE S. FLORY, books and stationery, Pawnee City, is a native of Virginia, and removed, with his people, to Keokuk County, Iowa, in 1861, at the age of six years, where he was raised and educated. In 1878, he came to Nebraska, and followed teaching, which he soon after abandoned for the present business. Mr. Flory is Treasurer and Librarian of the Red Ribbon Circulating Library, which was begun here in 1881. It has a capacity of 300 volumes, and is in a flourishing condition.

    JACOB FULTON, merchant, Pawnee City, Is a native of Ohio, and came to Nebraska in 1889, and settled here. In 1861, he enlisted his services in Company A, Twenty-ninth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and remained in active service till 1864 when he resigned as Second Lieutenant Company A. Married in 1845, to Miss Eliza A. McCollaster, of Pennsylvania. They have a family of five sons and one daughter.

    CHRISTIAN B. HAAS, merchant, Pawnee City, was born in Mahoning County, Ohio, and came to Nebraska in 1879, and located here, where he has been actively connected with the grocery and bakery business. In 1872, he was married to Miss Savilla Lipp, of his native county. They have a family of three sons and one daughter -- Jennie M., Paul S., Norman and William G.

    J. HALDERMAN, Treasurer of Pawnee County, Pawnee City, was born in Butler County, Penn., where he was identified with farming until the breaking out of the war, at which time he enlisted in Company C, Eleventh Pennsylvania Reserves, and served until September, 1864, when he was honorably discharged as Lieutenant Company C. After the war, he took up mercantile business, and prosecuted it in Pennsylvania until 1871, when he came here, and has been identified with the mercantile and farming interests of this locality since. In 1873, he was married to Miss Ida Fulton, who was born and reared in Iowa. They have a family of three sons -- Fulton, Dick and Charles. Mr. Halderman has been active in the social, business and political life of this locality; has served his county in the State Legislative Assembly of 1873 and 1875, and is the present incumbent of the Treasurership.

    A. B. HASSLER, editor Republican, is a native of Pennsylvania; received a common school education, attended Mount Union College during the term immediately preceding the breaking out of the war. Enlisted in June, 1861, serving during the war, and honorably discharged In July, 1865; served in the Internal Revenue Department two years, and, in the tall of 1871, came to Nebraska and bought a half-interest in the Pawnee Tribune. In December, 1872, he assumed entire control, and changed the name to the Republican. In 1877, he sold a half-interest to J. N. Hassler, since which time the paper has been steadily growing in popular favor.

    S. R. JOHNSTON, proprietor of the Arlington House, Pawnee City, is a native of Ohio, and came to Nebraska in 1874, end engaged at the mercantile business, which he subsequently left for the present business, which he ably represents. The Arlington is nicely situated in the central part of the city, and is connected bus line with the depot, with Marysville, Kan., by stage via Mission Creek, with Saline, Neb., by stage via Cincinnati, and by stage with Table Rock. The genial, enterprising landlord of the Arlington, offers to the commercial trade ample and first-class accommodations in bed and board, and the best sample-rooms in Southeastern Nebraska.

    COL. R. A. KENNEDY, flour and feed merchant, Pawnee City, was born September 25, A. D. 1837, and reared in Caledonia County, Vt., and entered the service of the State in the late war as private in Company I, Third Vermont Volunteer Infantry, in 1861. When, after passing through all the intermediate grades of office in that regiment but Major, he was commissioned Lieutenant Colonel of the Fifth Vermont Veteran Volunteers, and, subsequently, Colonel, with which honor he returned, at the end of the war. After the war he came West, and settled, in 1867, in Pawnee County, Neb., and has been actively engaged in the agricultural and stock industries of the locality, meanwhile taking an active position in the political affairs. He has represented his county in the State Legislature; also in the Commissionership, as well as many minor municipal offices. In 1864, he was married to Miss Addie E. Rowell, of Vermont, daughter of Dr. Richard Rowell, of Waterford, Vt. Mr. and Mrs. K.'s family are Fred A., Richard A., Herbert C., Lou E. And Carlie B.

    EPHRAIM KINGSBURY, stock and grain shipper, Section 29, P. O. Pawnee. Mr. Kingsbury was born in Vermont, in 1817, but spent the early part of his life in Massachusetts, where he was identified with the lumber industry for some seventeen years; he then removed to Wisconsin, and was principally connected with the same industry there. In 1868, he came here, and has been actively connected with the agricultural industry and stock and grain shipping since. In August, 1841, he was married to Miss Rozina S. Thayer, who was born and reared in Vermont. They have a family of one son and three daughters -- Homer A., Ellen M., now Mrs. Oscar Hall, of Pawnee County; Oraville V., now Mrs. M. D. Pierce, of Sterling, Neb.; and Marian L., now Mrs. William H. Town, of Waupun, Wis. Mr. K. has been an active worker in the development of the social and business life of his locality since coming here.

    DANIEL LIMING, of the firm of Edwards & Liming, dealers in real estate, insurance, etc. Mr. Liming was born in Ohio and reared in Iowa; came to Nebraska in 1858 at the age of twenty-two, and has been actively identified with the agricultural industries of this locality since. In 1862, he enlisted his services in the Second Kansas Cavalry, and remained in it till the end of the war. In 1870, he was married to Miss Ann Gallagher, born and reared in Ohio. They have two daughters -- Violet E. and Lottie A. Mr. Liming has been active in the social and political life of his locality.

    THOMAS T. MUMFORD, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 2, P. O. Pawnee, was born in Pennsylvania, and came to Nebraska, with his people, in 1856, who located here, and has been actively connected with his present industry here since. In 1862, he enlisted in the Second Nebraska Regiment, and was in active service till 1863, when he was honorably discharged, but re-enlisted again in the same year as veteran in the black Horse Veteran Cavalry; and was in active service till the end of the war, when he was discharged and pensioned. In 1867, he was married to Miss Elizabeth Martin, who was born in Indiana, and reared in Illinois. Mr. Mumford has been an active worker in the development of the social life of his locality since coming here.

    D. M. OSBORNE, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 30, P. O. Pawnee, was born and reared in Greene County, Ind., and came to Nebraska in 1867, and has been actively connected with the present industry since. In 1842, he was married to Miss Mary Wines, who was born and reared in Green County, Ind. They have a family of two sons and two daughters -- John, Leonard, Mira and Emma. Mr. Osborne has been an active worker in the social life of his locality.

    PIERCE, PRICE & BABBITT, hardware, stoves, tinware, and general groceries, Pawnee City. I. E. Pierce is a native of Illinois; was reared in Kansas, and came here in 1881. W. W. Price is a native of New York State, but was reared in Kansas, and came here in 1881. V. M. Babbitt is a native of New York State, and came to Nebraska in 1875 and followed teaching till 1881. The firm is alive to the progress and improvements in the trade.

    WILLIAM B. RAPER, County and District Court Clerk of Pawnee, was born and reared in Greene County, Ind., and came to Nebraska, Pawnee County, in 1858; soon after took up the mercantile business at Pawnee City, with which he was connected for eighteen years. In 1856, he was married to Miss Mary J. Butler, of Indiana, who passed away from this life in 1864, and is buried in the Pawnee City cemetery. In 1867, he was married again to Miss Elizabeth Coffey, of Indiana. He has a family of one son and daughter by his first wife -- John and Fannie, now Mrs. Davis, of Pawnee City, and three daughters by his second wife -- Grace, Myrtle and Lillie. Mr. Raper is one of the active pioneer men of Pawnee County, in the social, business, military and political life. During the late war, he served as Lieutenant in Company F, First Nebraska Veteran Cavalry, actively until its termination; representing his State in the Legislative Assembly of 1877, and in 1881, he was elected to his present incumbency, besides filling many minor positions of importance and trust in his locality.

    DR. P. REEDER, Pawnee City, is a native of Ohio, and took up the study of his profession at the age of eighteen, in 1848. In 1855, he began the practice of it, which he has successfully carried on since. In 1856, he was married to Miss Mary M. Edwards. They have two children -- Charles La Fayette and Flora Bell.

    J. F. STIEGEMEIER, Postmaster Pawnee City, was born and raised in Warren County, Mo., when he early identified himself with the wagon and carriage making business until 1866, when he entered the mercantile business and was appointed Postmaster of Marthaville, Warren Co., Mo., which position he held until he came here in 1874; soon after was appointed to the present incumbency, which he has very ably conducted since. In 1865, he was married to Miss Mary Dubbert, who was born in Missouri. They have a family of two daughters -- Lissie and Adeline. Mr. S. has been active in the social and political life of the place, and has held many minor offices of importance and trust in the city.

    G. G. WALLACE, editor Enterprise, Pawnee City, is a native of Ohio, but was educated in Monmouth, Ill. Entered studies in his nineteenth year and graduated in his twenty-third, 1877. R. B. Wallace, brother of G. G., and part proprietor of the Enterprise, is also a graduate of Monmouth College, graduating in his twenty-second year, 1881.

    JACOB WEBER, cigar manufacturer, Pawnee City, was born and reared in Morris, Ripley Co., Ind. In 1857, and at the age of thirteen, he began his present business as apprentice, which he followed there until 1862, when he enlisted in Company K, Seventh Indiana, and remained in active service till about the close of the war. After the war he followed farming till 1874, when he came here and began the present business, which he has very successfully carried on since. He was married in Indiana in 1872, to Miss Eva Egelhof, of Indiana. They have a family of one son and two daughters -- William F., Lulu A. and an infant.




Top of Page  First Page  Next

County Index