Andreas' History of the State of Nebraska

Fillmore County
Produced by
Connie Snyder.


Topography and General Features | Early History | Criminal Matters
The Grasshopper Raid | Organization | Other County Affairs
Elections | Progress of the County


Fairmont:  Early History | Churches and Schools | Societies
Business Interests | The Press | Biographical Sketches


Geneva:  Early History | Present Condition of the Town
Biographical Sketches


Grafton:  Biographical Sketches
Fillmore City | Manleyville | Exeter
Biographical Sketches:  Hamilton Precinct | Bryant Precinct
Bell Prairie Precinct | Momence Precinct

Part 4


   This town is pleasantly located on the rolling upland prairie, in the northwestern part of the county, and on the line of the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad in Nebraska. It is surrounded by a well settled and productive country. All branches of business suited to a country trade are represented, and all the tradesmen are enjoying a state of prosperity. The population numbers a little more than four hundred. The citizens are exceptionally energetic and enterprising, and for the past three years Grafton has been one of the best grain markets on this line of railroad.

   The history of the present town of Grafton begins with the year 1874. Before that time, however, in the months of January and February, 1872, a town was laid out by the Railroad Town Company, about four miles west of the present village, and called Grafton. The location of the original town was on the northeast quarter of Section 32, Town 8, Range 4 west, and consisted of 159 acres. The town of Sutton, a short distance west, had started, and the nearness of the two town sites completely ruined the prospects of Grafton. No town was ever built, and on March 27, 1874, owing to an application from its proprietors, the County Commissioners declared the town site vacated.

   Immediately after the abandonment of the old town site, another town was laid out on the farm of Joseph Tatro. This town site comprised a part of the southeast quarter of Section 25, Town 8, Range 4 west, and consisted of sixty-two and forty-six-hundredths acres. Joseph Tatro had entered into a contract to donate a share of the town lots to the town company, and the railroad company was to establish a depot here. The survey was made in April, 1874, by A. B. Smith, and on June 11, Joseph Tatro filed a plat of the town of Grafton in the office of the County Clerk. On July 1, he transferred a share of these lots to the town company.

   The town did not begin to grow until 1875, when a depot was built. The first business house was a grain warehouse and office, built by C. M. Northrup in 1875. The same year, P. S. Real erected a grain warehouse, store and other buildings. During the fall, a few more men located here, and a post office was established. By the fall of 1876, the population numbered about fifty, and Grafton was becoming quite an important grain market. By that time there were two stores, a hotel and blacksmith shop, besides the buildings already mentioned.

   For the three succeeding years, until the spring of 1879, the town grew steadily but slowly. But in 1879 it began to be built up quite rapidly. A number of business and professional men made a location here about that time. For the succeeding years, until the fall of 1882, its growth has been steady, and the amount of business done, considering its size, has been very great.

   The different church organizations have an existence here, and religious enterprises are well supported by the citizens. The only church edifice is the one owned by the Catholics.

   The social advantages of the village are good. Different societies have an organization here. The people are moral and industrious, and of that genial temper that makes the society of a small village particularly pleasant.

   The village schools have from the earliest history of the town been well sustained, and have ever had a good reputation for excellence. The house is rather too small, however, and preparations are being made for the building of a large schoolhouse.

   There is one bank, known as the Bank of Grafton. It was organized in the spring of 1881, by L. R. Grimes, who soon afterward sold it to the Fillmore County Bank. In the fall of 1881, it was incorporated as the Bank of Grafton. It does a large banking and collection business. J. O. Chase is President, and R. C. Price, Cashier. It has a paid-up capital of $10,000.

   The Grafton Gazette is a weekly newspaper, which was established early in the year 1881, by Hensel & Luebben. In the fall of the same year, W. C. Hensel purchased the entire office, and publishes a very good local newspaper, neat in typographical appearance.

   Grafton became incorporated as a village on March 30, 1882. The Board of Trustees was as follows: Arthur Murdock, Jasper Culver, E. A. Cushing, C. C. Wright and T. E. Moon.


   R. J. BLACKBURN, livery, feed and sale stable, was born in Kewanee, Henry Co., Ill., April 6, 1851; lived in his native place until the spring of 1873. He was married to Miss Laura S. Elliott, of the same town, and removed to Shenandoah, Iowa, and remained there in the grain business one year; then returned to Kewanee and engaged in farming for one year; in the spring of 1875, he came to Fairmont, Neb., and engaged in the livery business; sold out at the end of six months and removed to Grafton, engaging for two years in the grain business; returned to Kewanee, Ill., engaged in farming until the summer of 1880; then returned to Grafton and entered into the livery business, and has been so engaged up to the present time. He has a daughter--Maude--born November 30, 1874.

   GEORGE E. CRUM, dealer in staple and fancy groceries, provisions, queensware and glassware, opened trade October 27, 1881; carries a stock of from $1,500 to $2, 000. He first came to Nebraska in the fall of 1879, and located in Arapahoe, Furnas Co., and engaged in the flour and feed business until October, 1881, when he removed to Grafton, Fillmore Co. He was born in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, July 24, 1836; lived in his native State until sixteen years old, then went West; was engaged in various occupations in Michigan and Indiana about three years; then went to Ashton, Lee Co., Ill.; was engaged in farming for a time; then was employed in a saw-mill in Washington Grove, Ogle Co., Ill.; then engaged in painting--both house and carriage work--in the town of Ashland, Lee Co., until the fall of 1861, when he enlisted in Company C, Thirty-fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry; participated in twenty-seven general engagements, and was mustered out at Atlanta, Ga., in October, 1864. Mr. C. is a member of James Shields Post, No. 33, G. A. R. He was married, June 8, 1881, to Miss B. R. Rose, of Ohio; he has two children by a former marriage--Frank and Jennie May.

   JASPER CULVER, of the firm of Culver & Russell, dealers in hardware, stoves, tinware and agricultural implements, opened business January 19, 1882; they carry a stock of $3,000, and employ three men. Mr. C. first located in Fillmore, Grafton Precinct, in March, 1871, on a homestead of 160 acres, on Section 12, Town 8, Range 4 west; 130 acres are now under cultivation. He has been Township Assessor and Chairman of the Village Board of Trustees of Grafton. He was born in York Township, Van Wert Co., Ohio, July 30, 1839; moved to Sheboygan County, Wis., in 1847, and lived there until 1870, when he moved to Seward County, Neb., and lived there until he came to Grafton. He was married at Sheboygan Falls, Wis., in 1867, to Miss Helen M. Davenport, of the latter city. He is a member of the K. of H. He enlisted in Company K, First Wisconsin Volunteer Cavalry; participated in the battles of Munfordsville, Ky. Dug Gap and Chickamauga, where he was made a prisoner; he returned to the regiment, and was in the battles of Milledgeville and Savannah, the siege of Atlanta, and Sherman's march to the sea, etc.; he was mustered out at Milwaukee, Wis., June 5, 1865.

   H. J. DAY, dealer in a general stock of merchandise, groceries, etc., began trade in Grafton, August 5, 1879, and carries a stock of about $6,000 in goods. He first came to Lincoln, Neb., June 14, 1872, where he followed painting, dealing in wall paper, etc., until 1877, after which he clerked in a wholesale and retail drug store, then contracting and building, until he moved to Grafton and began business. He was born in England October 10, 1848; came to America in 1863. He was married in Lincoln May 23, 1875, to Miss Kate Uhl, of Dixon, Ill.; they have three children--Charles C., Della D. and William H. Mr. D. is a member of the Masonic order of Lincoln, Neb.

   W. G. HAINEY, dealer in general merchandise, commenced October 1, 1875; started with a stock of $6,000, and now carries a stock of $9,000; employs three men. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio, March 15, 1840, and when nineteen years old went West to Pike's Peak, Colo., in 1859; he left there and located in Nebraska City in 1864, and freighted until the Union Pacific Railroad was built to the North Platte; in 1869, he helped to lay out Green River City, W. T.; kept restaurant one year; came back to Nebraska City, and clerked about a year in general merchandise; he then went to St. Louis, and was married, in 1870, to Mary B. Condon; was in the employ of Hawley, Burks & Co. one year; then entered the wholesale grocery house of Robert Lorton, and clerked two years; he then went into business for himself in Dunbar, Otoe Co., Neb., until he came to Grafton. They have had eight children--Mary T., George F., Walter, Sarah B., Margaret E., William R., Edwin F. (deceased) and Carrie. Mr. H. is a member of the K. of H., 1562, and I. O. O. F.

   J. G. McFADDEN, proprietor of restaurant; came to Fairmont, Neb., May 14, 1871, at which time there were no buildings or railroad in the place; he engaged in farming, locating on a homestead--the northeast quarter of Section 4, Town 7, Range 3 west--May 24, 1871; he now owns 160 acres of land--135 of which are under cultivation--and ten acres of timber. He was elected Sheriff of Fillmore County in October, 1871, holding the office two years; was then Deputy Sheriff three years; has since followed collecting. He was born eight miles east of Port Washington, on the canal, in Tuscarawas Co., Ohio, Jan. 30, 1831; lived in his native State until 1837, and emigrated with his parents to Shelby Co., Ill., and lived there until 1846; then moved to Peoria, Ill., and lived until 1857, when he moved to Kewanee, Ill., and followed various occupations. He enlisted, August 9, 1861, in Company A, Forty-second Volunteer Infantry; participated in twenty-seven general engagements, and held all the offices, from Sergeant to and including Captain of the company; was mustered out March 9, 1865, at Huntsville, Ala. He held several offices in Kewanee, being Marshal of the latter city four years. He was married in Peoria, Ill., in September, 1852, to Miss Mahla Brown, of Pennsylvania; they have two sons--Jasper and Sherman--now in Denver, Colo. Mr. McF. is a member of Shields Post, No. 33, G. A. R.; also a member of Hesperian Lodge, No. 42, I. O. O. F., of Fairmont, Neb.

   C. C. MILES, farmer and stock-raiser and buyer, located on Section 6, Town 7, Range 3 west, in Geneva Precinct, Fillmore Co., Neb., May 20, 1871; he has 160 acres of land, 140 of which is under cultivation. He began the stock business in April, 1878, and shipped in 1881-82, from October to April, forty car loads of live stock. He has been Director of the Agricultural Society three years. He was born in Concord, Mass., October 15, 1833; lived in his native State until he was twenty-one years of age; then went to Kewanee, Henry Co., Ill., and lived until 1857; then moved to Chicago, where he followed the meat market business seventeen years, there and in Kewanee. He enlisted in the latter place, in Company A, One Hundred and Twenty-fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, as wagon master; he was mustered out in Chicago, in August, 1865; then lived in Kewanee until he came to Nebraska. He was married in Illinois, in 1860, to Miss Evaline Williams, of Ashtabula Co., Ohio, by whom he had two children--Emma Leora and Adilade Mehetable. His first wife died in Chicago November 9, 1856; he was again married, July 9,1853, in Pittsburgh, Penn., to Esther M. Holdman, of Chesterfield, N. H., by whom he has six children--Charles E., Adelbert, Evaline E., Druzella, Frank and Gracie. Mr. M. is a member of Wilson Post, No. 69, G. A. R., of Grafton, and of the Masonic order of Fairmont, Neb.; he is also a member of the Congregational Church.

   ARTHUR MURDOCK has charge of the lumber yard for Goodman, Bogue & Co., Chicago; keeps a stock of 200,000 feet of all kinds; he took charge of the business in the spring of 1879. He located, in 1871, on a homestead of 160 acres, on Section 14, Town 8, Range 4 west, in Grafton Precinct; now has 120 acres under cultivation. He was born in Jefferson County, Ohio, August 17; 1842, and lived in Belmont County, in that State, until he came to Nebraska. He enlisted, September 1, 1862, in Company E, Fifteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry; participated in the battles of Stone River, Nashville, Mission Ridge and many skirmishes; was mustered out at Louisville, Ky., in May, 1865. He was married in 1869 to Miss Cassie Dilworth; they have five children--Ada L., Edna, Mattie, Clyde and an infant son. Mr. M. is a member of the K. of H. of Grafton, Neb.

   R. C. PRICE, Cashier Bank of Grafton, began business September 1, 1881, with J. O. Chase, President; W. G. Hainey, J. O. Chase and J. W. Price, Directors. They do a general banking business. Deposits equal $60,000. The above bank was first opened for business by L. H. Grimes. They exchange with Donnell, Lawson & Simpson, New York City, and Knath, Nachod & Kuhne, of New York; also with Marsh Bros., Mosher & Co., Lincoln, Neb. Mr. R. C. Price came to Grafton in 1880, and engaged in the grain business, until he took charge of the bank of Grafton. Born in Kewanee, Ill., and, at a suitable age, he attended the Notre Dame University, South Bend, Ind., three years. He is now the youngest bank cashier in the State of Nebraska.

   CAPT. P. S. REAL, farmer and stock-raiser, first came to West Blue Precinct in 1872, locating on a soldier's homestead, Section 20, Town 8, Range 3 west. He now has 320 acres of land, 225 of which are under cultivation, on that section. He has also 160 acres on Section 25, Grafton Precinct; 640 acres, on Section 36; 320 acres on Section 7 with forty acres of good timber and water-power on West Blue River; also 240 acres of Bennett Precinct, Section 27. He was born in Ireland, April 23, 1835, and came to America in 1851, enlisting in the first call in 1861, in Company E, Seventh Regiment Missouri Volunteer Infantry. He served a year and was transferred to the Ninetieth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He participated in twenty-five general battles. Enlisting as a private, he was promoted to Sergeant, Lieutenant and Captain. He was mustered out in Atlanta, Ga., in 1864; was wounded at Atlanta, Ga., and Mission Ridge, Tenn. He is a member of James Shields Post, No. 33; also K. of H. of Grafton. He erected and kept the first store and the first lumber yard, and built the first elevator. He bought the first grain and built and kept the first hotel. He was married in Henry, Ill., in 1865, to Miss Ellen Purcel, a native of Ireland. They have eight children--Mary Ellen, Thomas Francis, Emmel F., Winnefred T., William Rosecranz, Patrick Sarsfield, Philip Sheridan and James Shields.

   JOHN SHOFF, Postmaster and dealer in clocks and sewing machines. Appointed Postmaster in 1873; held the office fifteen months; re-appointed in the fall of 1878, and held the office since. He first located in West Blue Precinct in the fall of 1870 on homestead, Section 30, Town 8, Range 3 west, containing 160 acres, eighty now being under cultivation. He has held the office of Justice of the Peace two years. He was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, October 27, 1840. He lived in his native place until 1852, when he moved to Fulton County, Ill. He removed to Sigourney, Iowa, in 1860 and farmed until he came to Nebraska. He enlisted in Sigourney, August 14, 1862, in Company H, Thirty-third Regiment Iowa Volunteer Infantry. He participated in seven general engagements; was wounded at Jenkins' Ferry, and discharged for disability June, 25, 1865. He was married in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, in 1866, to Miss Martha Taylor, of Coshocton County, Ohio. They have six children--Serrepta A., William T., Jesse P., Hattie E., Charles A. and Martha E. Mr. Shoff is a member of James Shields Post, No. 33, G. A. R.; also K. of H. Grafton, Neb.

   JOSEPH TATRO, farmer, first came to Nebraska in the fall of 1871, and took a homestead on Section 26, Town 8, Range 4 west. He now owns 240 acres of land, 200 being under cultivation. He assisted to lay out the town site of Grafton, and is proprietor of the same. He was born in Burlington, Vt., May 5, 1824. He moved to Monroe, Mich., in 1833, and lived there until 1847. He moved to Winnebago County, Wis., and farmed until he came to Nebraska. He was married, in 1858, to Miss Phoebe Josslyn, of Rhode Island. They have five children--Jonathan, Lewis, Lorenze, Parriazade and Alfred. He enlisted in 1863, in Company G, Thirty-sixth Regiment Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. He participated in fifteen general engagements. He was wounded at Chatham's Farm and Reams' Station. He was mustered out at Annapolis, Md., June, 1865. He is a member of Wilson Post, No. 69, G. A. R.; also I. O. O. F., Lutton Lodge. He was married again in Fond du Lac, Wis., in 1869, to Miss Maria A. Orgall, of Clinton County, N. Y. He erected the first frame house in Grafton, excepting the section house in the fall of 1871. He owns a large amount of village property and lots.

   GEORGE H. WARREN, dealer in grain, coal and live stock, began the business in the fall of 1880. Elevator erected and enlarged in the fall of 1881. It now has a capacity of 20,000 bushels. It cost $4,000; size, 48x20, twenty-five feet high with twelve feet drive-way. Mr. W. first came to Kearney, Neb., and served as apprentice in the grain trade a short time; then went in company with J. A. Ellis, and continued until January 1, 1880, when he began business for himself. He was born in Concord, Mass., May 22, 1860; lived in native State until 1886. His parents moved to Chicago; moved to Hinsdale, Ill., in 1870, and lived there until he came to Nebraska.


   This was the name of the first town ever started in the county. It was situated on a bend of the West Blue River, in the northwestern part of the county, and near the York County line.

   The history of this place begins with the year 1870, when E. L. Martin located here and laid out a town. February 10, 1871, J. E. Porter opened a store, and on March 10, a post office was established and E. L. Martin appointed Postmaster. It was not long until there were two stores and a blacksmith shop in operation. But in the fall of 1871, the railroad was completed through the county, running about four and one-half miles south of town, and J. E. Porter moved away. There was soon nothing left of the town; but, in 1872, C. M. Northrup located here and made preparations to build a mill, and, joining with Martin, they laid out a town which comprised the west half of the northwest quarter of Section 6, Town 8, Range 3 west. This was the original town site, and to it was now added the east half of the northeast quarter of Section 1, Town 8, Range 4 west, and the whole surveyed, platted and filed in the office of the County Clerk as a town site, on December 10, 1872. The work on the flouring-mill progressed, and in 1873 it was completed, and the manufacture of flour commenced. Fillmore never grew to be a town, however, and C. M. Northrup soon sold his mill. It is now owned by Welch & Price, and operated as a flouring and grist mill. A good quality of flour is made. This mill, and the buildings belonging with it, are all now left of Fillmore City.


   Though a town site, a town was never built here. Its location was on the southwest quarter of Section 27, Town 7, Range 3 west. During the year 1871, when negotiations were pending for purchasing a portion of the school section in the center of the county, for county purposes, A. J. Manley conceived the idea of laying out this town and securing the location of the county seat; he accordingly erected a hall twenty feet wide and sixty feet long, and offered to donate it to the county if the county seat should be located there. This was not done, however, and the hall and a blacksmith shop was all that was ever built. In April, 1874, the plat of the town site was filed in the office of the County Clerk. A number of lots on this site were sold, but never occupied.


   This town is situated in the northeastern part of Fillmore County, on the line of the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad in Nebraska. The population of the town is a little more than four hundred. It is surrounded by a fertile and well-settled country, and is a thriving business point

   Exeter was surveyed in November, 1871, by A. B. Smith, for the Railroad Town Company, and was located on the southeast quarter and part of the northeast quarter of Section 20, Town 8, Range 1 west. The town was laid out on land belonging to H. G. Smith and J. W. Dolan, who gave a share of the land to the town company to secure the location of the town.

   In 1870, there had been something of a settlement in this part of the county. Warren Woodard located on the section adjoining the present town of Exeter, and built a frame house in December, 1870, that is claimed to have been the first frame house erected in the county. Soon after, H. G. Smith, W. N. Babcock, William H. and J. W. Dolan made a location.

   In the spring of 1871, a post office was established and called Woodard, with Warren Woodard Postmaster.

   In May, 1871, H. G. Smith opened a store on his farm, where the town now is.

   In the fall of 1871, a few other improvements were made. A short time after the town was surveyed, the name of the post office was changed to Exeter, and H. G. Smith appointed Postmaster.

    During the year 1872, the railroad depot was built, a side track put in, and a very slight improvement was made in the town.

    The first death was that of a young man named Frank Appleby, who died at the residence of Warren Woodard in the spring of 1872.

   The first sermon was preached at the residence of Warren Woodard, in the spring of 1871, by Rev. G. W. Gue. The first marriage was that of J. W. Eller and Miss Frances Hager, on November 27, 1872.

   The first child born in Exeter was Anna E. Smith, daughter of Dr. and Mrs. H. G. Smith, who was born November 4, 1873.

   The first school was taught in the summer of 1872, by Mrs. Marion Babcock, in a sod house. The first schoolhouse was erected in 1873, and was a comfortable building, well furnished.

   The first hotel was built and opened in 1872, by L. Keneval.

   The first grain warehouse was opened for business in 1872.

   During the earlier years of its history, Exeter improved very slowly. In 1876, the second hotel was built by Warren Woodard. By this time there were several business houses, and almost all branches of business were represented. In 1877, improvements continued. It was not, however, until 1878 that the rapid building up of the town began. During that year, two large grain elevators, and a number of business houses were built and opened for business. In 1879, the rapid building of business houses and residences continued, since which time, though not advancing so fast, the town has steadily improved each year. The business houses are substantially put up, and the residences present a very fine appearance. The lots are generally ornamented with a growth of shade and forest trees that have been planted by the enterprising citizens.

   There is but one hotel, the Woodard House, kept by Warren Woodard.

   The banks are two in number, and each has a large banking and collection business. One of these is termed the Bank of Exeter, and the other Wallace & Co.'s Bank.

   The different societies are represented by a large number of Masons, Odd Fellows, and members of the Grand Army of the Republic.

   The church societies represented are the Catholic, Methodist, Baptist, Congregational, Presbyterian and Christian. The four first named have large and comfortable churches, while all have a good membership, and are well sustained by the citizens of Exeter, who are of an exceptionally religious character. The public school is well sustained. It is graded, consists of four departments, each in charge of an able instructor. The old schoolhouse has been found too small, and another is now building, which will cost, when completed, about $7,000.

   There is one newspaper published here, called the Exeter Enterprise. It is a five-column quarto paper, independent in politics, and is edited and published by William J. Waite. The Enterprise was established in October, 1878, by W. A. Connell, who published it but a short time, when W. J. Wait took charge of it and has since continued its editor.

   Exeter became incorporated as a village April 1, 1879. The following men composed the Board of Trustees: L. Robertson, G. W. Whipple, W. H. Faling, M. M. Youngers and J. W. Dolan.


   C. H. BABCOCK, was born in Albany, N. Y., in 1851, where he lived for sixteen years, when he went to Tidioute, Penn., where he remained for two years, returning to Albany, where he remained a year, and then to Pontiac, Ill., where he remained for two years telegraphing. Then, in the spring of 1871, removed to Fillmore County, farming, until February, 1877, when he moved into the town of Exeter, in a general merchandise store of H. G. Smith, the Postmaster at that time. Thirteen months after was appointed Postmaster, which he still carries on in connection with a general stock of confectionery and fruits. He was married in October, 1874, in Fillmore County, to Miss D. P. Dunnafon. They have one child living and one deceased.

   WARREN WOODARD was born in Onondaga County, N. Y., February, 11, 1833. He lived in his native county with his parents until 1847, at which time they moved to Lapeer County, Mich., and engaged in farming until 1868. He enlisted, November 7, 1861, in Company F, Tenth Regiment Michigan Volunteer Infantry, and was appointed Orderly Sergeant, and participated in the battles of Stone River, Tunnel Hill, Dallas, Resaca, Pine Mountain, Buzzard's Roost, Rome, Kenesaw Mountain, Chattahoochie River; Jonesboro, siege of Atlanta, Sherman's march to the sea and many skirmishes. He was mustered out at Louisville, Ky., August 1, 1865. He moved to Marengo, McHenry County, Ill., in 1868, and there engaged in the nursery business until 1870, when he removed to Exeter, Fillmore County, Neb., taking a homestead on Section 28, Town 8, Range 1 west, 160 acres; since sold eighty acres; the remaining eighty is all improved. He was appointed Postmaster in 1871, being the first Postmaster in his place. The office was kept on his homestead and named Woodard Post Office. He held the office until the Burlington & Missouri Railroad Company laid out the town of Exeter, in the fall of 1872. He was the first Justice of the Peace in Fillmore County, taking the office in the summer of 1872 by appointment. He was married in Lapeer County, Mich., in 1859, to Miss Sarah White, of the same county in Michigan. They have four children, whose names are Eugene W., May E., Leon E. and Arthur W. He was one of the Clerks when the county of Fillmore was organized in the spring of 1872. He erected the Centennial Hotel in Exeter, Neb., in 1876, at a cost of $2,500. Size of building is 32x52 feet, two stories high, and contains fifteen rooms; can accommodate thirty guests. He is still proprietor of the same.


   I. E. ALLEN, farmer and stock-raiser, settled in Hamilton Precinct October 18, 1871, on Section 30, Town 5, Range 3 west, on a homestead of 160 acres, all improved; has eighty acres meadow land on Section 29; has held various town offices. Born in Indiana County, Penn., September 28, 1839. Moved to Davenport, Scott Co., Iowa, in the spring of 1866, and worked by the month and farmed. Enlisted, August 28, 1861, in Company G; Seventy-sixth Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry (known as Keystone Zouaves); held all the offices from Corporal, including First Lieutenant; participated in the battles of Fort Pulaski, siege of Charleston, James and Morris Island, Pocotaligo Bridge, and many skirmishes and battles around Richmond; then at White House Landing, Cold Harbor and continued fighting a month without cessation; in June, 1864, in the siege of Petersburg, Strawberry Plains, and August 16, 1864, was wounded in both limbs; saw no more service until March 1, 1865, at Wilmington; mustered out in Raleigh, N. C., July, 1865. Married, in the spring of 1867, in Scott County, Iowa, to Miss Jennie R. Brown, of Clarion County, Penn. They have five children--Martha Emma, Mary Elizabeth, Cynthia Ellen, David Ethan and Merton. Mr. Allen and family are members of the M. E. Church.

   L. T. COBB (father of E. K. Cobb) came to Nebraska in the fall of 1873, and lives with his son, E. K., on Section 28, Town 5, Range 3 west. They have 320 acres of land, 165 of which is under cultivation, with a fine orchard, etc. L. T. Cobb was born in Boston, Mass., June 1, 1809; lived in his native city until twenty-five years of age; then moved to Cummington, Mass., and farmed about five years; moved to Bureau County, Ill., in 1853, and farmed until he came to Nebraska. He enlisted in the Black Hawk war March 24, 1831; served five years in Company C, Fourth Regiment United States Artillery. He was United States Assessor for the Fifth District of Illinois from 1862 to 1869 inclusive. Married in 1839 in Cummington, Mass., to Miss Jane Kellogg, of Goshen, Mass. Had three children--Edward K., now married and farming in Nebraska; Francis E., lumber dealer in Burr Oak, Jewell Co., Kan. Mrs. Cobb died August 23, 1874, in Wyanet, Ill. Mr. Cobb landed in Chicago, Ill., July 8, 1832, from the first steamer that came into Chicago. There were only five huts outside of Fort Dearborn in Chicago at that time. He lived there six weeks; then went to Rock Island, Ill., September 1, 1832, and lived until he moved to Nebraska.

   EUGENE K. FISHER, farmer and stock-raiser, came to Nebraska June 7, 1872, and located on a homestead and timber claim, southeast quarter of Section 32, Town 5 Range 3 west, all under cultivation. Has about fifteen acres of fine timber. He was born in Granville, Putnam Co., Ill., April 22, 1843. Lived in his native State nearly all the time until he came West. He engaged in farming and merchandising in Bureau County, Ill., and continued until he came to Nebraska. Married in Wyanet; Bureau Co., Ill., January 3, 1869, to Hulda S. Smith, of Carey, Wyandot Co., Ohio. They have two sons and a daughter--Henry Llewellyn, Albert E. and Nellie M. Mr. Fisher and family are member of the Baptists Church.

   S. A. ORR, farmer and stock-raiser, came to Nebraska in the latter part of April, 1872, located on Section 32, Town 5, Range 3 west, Hamilton Precinct. He has 160 acres of land, all under cultivation. He has erected a fine frame dwelling, at a cost of $1,400; has been Assessor, and held several other town offices. He was born in Clarion County, Penn., February 9, 1845; lived in his native State until 1869, when he moved to Muscatine County, Iowa, and farmed until he came to Nebraska. He was married, in 1867, to Miss Sarah A. Orr, of Limestone Township, Penn. They have eight children--John H., Wade C., Wilbert B., William M., Amor C., Lloyd H., Stewart R. and Charles E. He enlisted, August 28, 1861, in Company C, One Hundred and Fifth Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry; participated in the siege of Yorktown, Williamsburg, and seven days' fight on the Peninsula, Charles City Cross Roads, Malvern Hill, Second Bull Run, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, and Wilderness, being then wounded in the first day's fight; was in the hospital until June 16; joined a regiment at Petersburg, Va., and participated in fights around the latter place as Color Bearer; taken prisoner October 27, 1864; confined until March, 1865; mustered out in Harrisburg, Penn., May 28, 1865. Mr. Orr and family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

   BRADLEY A. SMITH, farmer and stock-raiser, located in Hamilton Precinct, March, 1874, on a section in Town 5, Range 3 west. He now has 240 acres of land, 160 under cultivation. He has been Justice of the Peace, etc. He was born in Wyandot County, Ohio, September 7, 1831; lived in his native State until twenty-one years of age; was raised on a farm; moved to Wyanet, Bureau Co., Ill., and farmed twenty-one years ; has taught school in Ohio, Illinois and Nebraska. He was married in Illinois, July 30, 1854, to Miss Mary A. Stickel, of Muskingum County, Ohio. They have six children--Minnie M., now married to Mr. L. R. Hoag, and living in Bryant Precinct; Wilbur H., married, and living in Hansen, Adams County, and is agent for St. Jo. & W. R. R. Daniel E., married, and farming near his parents; Albert H., at home, also Henry H. and Leslie G.


   EDY RANDALL, farmer and stock-raiser, first came to Nebraska in the fall of 1871, and located on Section 28, Town 5, Range 4 west, Bryant Precinct, on a homestead of 160 acres; now has 125 acres under cultivation, makes grain-raising a specialty. They were the first family to locate in their township, and erected the first frame house in the spring of 1872. He has served as Justice of the Peace, member of School Board, Collector of Taxes, etc.; was born in Summit County, Ohio, September 6, 1842; lived in his native State until he came to Nebraska; enlisted September 10, 1861, in Company D, Twenty-ninth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry; participated in the battles of Winchester, Va., Port Republic, Cedar Mountain, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Lookout Mountain, Buzzards Roost, Resaca, Dallas, Pine Knob and Kenesaw Mountain; mustered out in Cleveland, Ohio, July 27, 1865. He followed farming in his native State until he came to Nebraska. He was married, March 27, 1867, to Miss Elizabeth Pierson, of Summit County, Ohio; she was born January 13, 1847. They have four children--F. Cleland, T. Radcliff, W. Leroy and Burdette. Mr. Randall is a member of Elliott Post, No. 88, of Davenport, Neb.

   JOSEPH H. SPRINGER, farmer and stock-raiser, first came to Nebraska City in the spring of 1857; lived in the latter city, Otoe and Nemaha Counties three years, following freighting, farming and breaking. He went to Ottumwa, Wapello Co., Iowa, and enlisted June 13, 1861, in Company I, First Regiment Iowa Cavalry; participated in the battles of Silver Creek, Mo., Stony Point, Bayou Meteo, Little Rock, and Gen. F. Steele's expedition into Arkansas, and campaigns in Tennessee and Mississippi; into Texas under Gen. Custer; mustered out March 17, 1866, in Davenport, Iowa. He filled all the offices from Corporal up to and including First Lieutenant; afterward went to Wapello. Iowa, and worked for the Iowa Coal and Oil Company three years. Coining West on November 17, 1872, he settled September 21, 1872, on the southeast quarter of Section 26, Town 5, Range 4 west, containing 160 acres; now has 120 acres under cultivation. He has been Justice of the Peace, Assessor, and is a member of the Masonic order of Agency City, Iowa; also a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He was married, May 24, 1864, near Agency City, Iowa, to Miss Amanda F. Overturf, of the same place.

   WILLIAM VAN BUREN, farmer and stock-raiser, located in Bryant Precinct, September, 1872, on a homestead on Section 2, Town 5, Range 4 west; has eighty acres of land all under cultivation. He has been Precinct Assessor one term, and serving the second term as Justice of the Peace; has been a member of the School Board since he came to Nebraska. He was born in Cayuga County, Auburn, N. Y., October 24, 1834. His parents moved to N. H. Mills, Utica, N. Y., when he was a child; moved to Dodge County, Wis., in 1850, and lived there about fifteen years; then to Fayette County, Iowa, and engaged in teaming, farming, etc., seven years; then to Calhoun County, same State fifteen months; then to Nebraska. He was married in Burnett, Wis., 1856, to Miss Margaret L. Bell, of Jefferson County, N. Y. She was born September 13, 1839. They have five children--Alma, now married to E. W. Appleman; Ida E., now married to G. W. Anderson William J., Francis R. and Martin H.


   JOSIAH SHEPPARD, farmer and stock-raiser, came to Fillmore County, Neb., in the spring of 1870, and settled on a homestead in Bell Prairie Township, on Section 30, Town 5, Range 2 west; has 160 acres all under cultivation; 160 acres, one-half mile east on Section 29, eighty acres under cultivation. He was born in Belmont County, Ohio, June 15, 1840; lived in his native State until thirteen years old; his parents then moved with the family to Rock Island County, Ill., and settled on a farm, where Josiah lived until he came to Nebraska. He enlisted in 1861, in Company I, Thirteenth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry; re-enlisted in the fall of 1861, in Company I, Eighth Regiment Kansas Volunteer Infantry; was soon taken sick, and was compelled to leave the service; discharged August, 1862. He was married in Port Byron, Rock Island County, September, 1865, to Miss Caroline Sterdivan. They have five children--Willis F., Charles G., Nettie, Oliver G. and Bertram V. He is a member of Wilson Post of Geneva, G. A. R., also I. O. O. F. and Masonic order of same place.

   FRANKLIN B. TURNER, farmer and stock-raiser, came to Nebraska in November, 1872, and located on the southwest quarter of Section 30, Town 5, Range 2 west; 160 acres all improved. He was born in Clark County, Ohio, February 26, 1836; lived in native State until he moved to Champaign County, Ill., and farmed five years; then moved to Fillmore County, Neb. He was married in Clark County, Ohio, in 1859, to Miss Nancy Herbert, of Urbana, same county, Ohio. They have seven children--Minnie B., Harry A., Lulu J., Charles H., Samuel S., Fannie L. and George H. He enlisted, October 5, 1862, in Company G, Ninety-fourth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry; participated in the battles of Perryville, Ky.; then placed on detached duty in Pioneer Corps; mustered out in Nashville, Tenn., 1865; was promoted to Orderly Sergeant. He is a member of I. O. O. F., Geneva Lodge, No. 65.


   JOHN W. PRICE, farmer and stock-raiser, located in Fillmore County April 18, 1872, on his farm, Momence Precinct, Section 34, Town 6, Range 4 west, containing 160 acres, ninety of which are under cultivation; has made a success in raising stock; has been Justice of the Peace six years, in his precinct, and Postmaster since January, 1882; was born in Ontario County, N. Y., in 1831. His parents (Welsh and Irish) soon moved with their family to Europe, and settled in Wales. He returned to America at the age of fourteen, and lived in the State of Ohio a short time, and returned to his native place; soon enlisted in the United States Army, and was sent to Texas; was promoted to Sergeant; spent three years skirmishing in that region; then was sent to Florida against Seminole Indians; from there to Jefferson Barracks, St. Louis, Mo., and mustered out in May, 1858; again joined regular army on the breaking-out of the rebellion, and participated in the battles of Perryville, Corinth, Stone River, Hoover's Gap, Chickamauga and Mission Ridge; was promoted, and participated in Atlanta campaign, etc.; in intrenchments before Atlanta, Ga., August 14, 1864; discharged on expiration of term of enlistment; clerked in Quartermaster's Department, Nashville, Tenn., and Atlanta, Ga., being promoted to Chief Clerk, etc.; served until 1866; then engaged in merchandising. He was married in February, 1866, to Miss Orinda M. Burrows of Madison County, Ohio. He moved to Iroquois County, Ill., and farmed, etc., until he came to Nebraska. They have two children--Charlie W. and Edwin E. Mr. Price is a member of the regular brigade, with headquarters at Columbus. Was recommended to the consideration of the Government for rendering valuable services at Stone River, and gallant conduct at Mission Ridge.

Top of Page   First Page   Back

County Index