Part 2: Organization | General County Topics | Schools
Means of Communication
West Point: Fire Department | Public Schools | Churches
Part 3: West Point (cont.): Hotels and Public Halls
Societies | Manufactories
General Business Topics | Biographical Sketches
Part 4: Wisner: Early History | Churches | Societies | Business
Bancroft | Biographical Sketches
List of Illustrations in Cuming County Chapter
[VIEW OF KRAUSE'S HALL.]
Krause's Hall. This commodious room is in the second story of Krause's brick block, which was erected in 1873, at a cost of $9,000. Although it has a capacity for seating 1,000 people, only 300 seats are at present in use. The hall, which is the only public hall in the village, has a fully equipped stage and all the paraphernalia necessary for dramatic entertainments.
The Neligh House. This hotel, the largest in West Point, was erected in 1873, the work being finished January 9, of that year. In May the house was opened to the public by Reid & Lipsey, who continue as managers until September, when Mr. Neligh took charge. In December the management passed into the hands of Mr. Randall, who occupied the house till February, 1874. A. D. Breemer next ran the place until November, 1878, after which Mr. William Sievers occupied it two months. The ownership of the property now passed from the hands of Mr. Neligh, and Mr. Hale, the purchaser, had charge until November, 1879. He was followed by E. L. Eno, who remained until August, 1881; at that time, W. D. Moulton became proprietor and has since continued to run the house. The building, a fine three story brick, is conveniently located and has facilities for accommodating sixty guests. The whole property at present is worth $12.000. Both the comfort of the internal arrangements and the care and skill of the proprietor tend to render it the popular hotel of the place.
The Pennsylvania House was erected under the name of the Thursday House by D. B. Thurston, in 1872. It was first occupied by him and then passed into the hands of Mr. Prouse, who changed the name to the Commercial House. Messrs. Meckling and Shelley next became proprietors. The latter gave it its present name. In December, 1881, the house came under the control of the present proprietor, James Rouse. It is centrally located and fitted to accommodate thirty guests. Its custom is largely from regular boarders.
Jordan Lodge No. 27 (A., F. & A. M.), was first organized at West Point in 1869 and received its charter December 25 of that year. The charter members were: E. K. Valentine, Jesse A. Nason, J. Douglas, Emory Briggs, William C. Orr, Stephen Tripp, Ed. S. Butler, N. R. Uren, David B. Thurston and Frank Kipp. In 1879 the records of the society together with its furniture were destroyed by fire. Its present membership is thirty-two. It holds its meetings regularly on the second and fourth Tuesdays of each month at its room in Vostrovsky's building. Its present officers are: C. T. Pulsifer, W. M.; William Bockenhouer, S. W.; A. D. Beemers, J. W.; J. Vostrovsky, Treas.; F. E. Krause, Sec.; James Allen, S. D.; Edwin J. Roming, J. D.; E. Briggs, Tiler.
Lodge No. 52 (I. O. O. F.), was organized November 11, 1874. Upon its charter are the names of P. Schwenk, August Mewis, M. Meyer, J. Zeeman and B. G. Yoder. Its membership has since increased to forty-three. Its meeting are held every Wednesday. Its present officers are: F. Diers, N. G.; F. Sonnenschein, V. G.; Edmund Krause, Sec.; P. Poellot, W.; F Krause, Treas.
Faraslor Lodge No. 38 (C. S. P. S.). This is a Bohemian society similar in purposes and workings to the Knights of Honor. It was organized at West Point, April 29, 1879, the first president being J. Vostrovsky, who first introduced the Order. The charter members were: F. Schmela, F. Wisner, C. Jankels, F. Spala, V. Duda, M. Sadlo, A. Pospisil, and J. Daleys. There are at present twenty-one members. Its meetings are on the first Sunday of each month. The officers are: V. Kriz, Pres.; F. Seb, Sec.; A. Pospisil, Treas.
The West Point Lodge No. 24 (K. of P.), was organized April 8, 1880, with a membership of twenty-four, as follows: J. C. S. Tate, A. D. Beemer, H. H. Freeze, Charles Rosenthal, M. S. Bartlett, L. G. Bley, James Allan, Gus Drahos, Peter Chambers, F. G. Reppert, W. R. Withey, Carl Lang, H. J. Kloke, J. D. Neligh, E. Briggs, Julius Thiele J. D. Selah, J. L. St. Clair. Stephen Person, H. D. Calland, M. McLaughlin, C. S. Demary, F. J. Andrews, D. C. Giffert. Its membership has since increased to thirty-eight, and its meetings are held regularly every Thursday evening. The officers for 1882 are: C. S. Demary, O. G.; J. H. Wallace, I. G.; A. D. Beemer, M. A.; J. L. St. Clair, P.; James Allan, K. R. S.; C. Rupp, M. F.; J. D. Selah, M. E.; Julius Thiele, V. C.; M. McLaughlin, C. C.; L. G. Bley, P.C.
Valentine Lodge No. 1280. (K. of H.) This Lodge was chartered in August, 1879. There were seventeen charter members: Fred. Sonnenschien, Edmund Krause, Eugene Moore, F. E. Krause, Wenzel Drahos, E. Briggs, Fred Reppert, Charles Boekenhouer, Joseph Drahos, J. Romig, William Boekenhouer, F. J. Andrews, Moses Herner, E. K. Valentine, E. C. McNish, L. Grenke and George Scott. The membership increased rapidly but on account of some delinquency the Lodge was dropped by the Grand Lodge and many of the members never re-joined. The present number is twenty. Its meetings are held on the second Monday of each month. The officers are: J. L. St. Clair, D.; J. Romig, V. D.; F. Sonnenschein, R.; F. E. Krause, Treas.; W. E. Krause, D. D. G.
Elkhorn Valley Lodge No. 22 (K. of P.), German, was organized February, 1876. the charter members were: H. Luhens, M. Meyer, Thomas Roeh, B. Goldsmith, John Forror, L. Thiemke, William Melchow, A. Langer and C. Schwenk. The present number of members is forty-two. Its meetings are held every Saturday. The present officers are: John Forror, D. G. C.; F. Sangpiel, P. C.; Gustav Will, C. C.; Fritz Herman, V. C.; Gustav Ollerman, P.; Carl Schwenk, K. R.; Anton Heyduck, M. F.; Anton Langer, M. E.; L. Thiemke, M. A.
West Point Manufacturing Company was incorporated November 4, 1874, by John D. Neligh, E. K. Valentine, Thomas F. Fish, Uriah Bruner and J. C. Crawford. Its purposes were to engage in the manufacture of flour, feed, paper, agricultural implements and anything else which could be made profitable. Its capital stock was $500,000. A furniture factory was erected and machinery placed in position during 1875, $30,000 bonds were voted by the precinct, and in 1876 machinery arrived from the East for the paper mill and foundry. During that year a building of brick, two stories, 60x120 feet, was erected for a paper mill. Two years later, the entire property formerly owned by the manufacturing company passed into the control of the West Point Butter and Cheese Association, who are transacting the business under a lease.
The West Point Butter and Cheese Association was incorporated in 1878. There are six members in the company. Benjamin D. Brown, of Indianapolis, W. B. Eager, Chauncey Hale and Thomas King, of Orange County, N. Y., James A. Brown and John J. King, of West Point. The capital stock is $25,000 and has never been increased, although at present the company has over $200,000 invested. The present officers are: Benjamin D. Brown, Pres.; W. B. Eager, V.-Pres. and General Superintendent; Chauncey Hale, Sec.; Thomas King, Treas. In the absence of Mr. Eager, John J. King has entire charge of the business.
Most important of the enterprises which the company controls is the creamery, which was established in the spring of 1879. The buildings are located about half a mile southeast of town and consist of the building containing the machinery, and stables for 400 cows. As the butter manufactured is solely from milk furnished by the cows owned by the company, the capacity of the factory is not great. About 600 pounds can be made per day, and from 35 to 40 tons shipped annually.
The most important features of the business are those connected with the management of the cows. Near the creamery the company controls about 1,300 acres of land. Of this 320 acres are cultivated, corn being the almost exclusive product, thirty hands and twelve teams are kept constantly employed and a boarding house is maintained upon the farm. No hay is used, the food of the cows being entirely what is known as ensilage. The process of preserving green products was discovered some twenty years ago , in France and it has since grown rapidly in favor with the cattle men in the East. As it is comparatively a new thing in the West, a description of the process as carried out by this company, may not be out of place. Although grain of any kind may be preserved, yet corn is more often employed. This is cut while the stalks are yet in the milk. After this it is run through an ensilage cutter. The one owned by the company has a capacity of about thirty tons per day, and was procured at a cost of $150. It is run by a portable engine of ten horse-power. By this process the stalks are cut into fine pieces. These are then placed in the silos, cellars or storehouses, set into the hill and arranged for the purpose. Those used here are twelve by forty feet, and nineteen feet deep and hold 175 tons of ensilage. When they are full they are covered and weighted, about thirty tons being necessary for a silo of this size. The stalks, thus kept from air remain fresh and may be taken out at any time and fed. The slight fermentation which has taken place produces no effect on the milk and the food is relished by the cattle. This ensilage can be stored at a cost of ninety-two cents per ton, and it is estimated that one ton is equal , for feeding purposes, to three tons of wild hay.
In addition to the land used here, the company owns 1,120 acres nine miles north of the town, which is used as a place for keeping the cows when dry; also for general stock raising. There is shed room on this place for 200 cattle. From 400 to 500 hogs are raised here every year and over 20,000 bushels of corn are fed. The cows used are mostly fine grades, and the stock is being raised by the introduction of full bloods. There are already twenty-five full blood Jerseys and Guernseys. Experience has shown that they are not more difficult to keep in this country than ordinary stock, and by actual experiment the company has found that about thirty per cent of the Jersey milk is cream, while but twelve per cent of the milk of an average cow is valuable for butter purposes. The butter manufactured by the company is shipped to Omaha and New York City.
In addition to the creamery, the company also owns all the business formerly carried on by the West Point Manufacturing Company, to which it has added many important branches. In the summer season when the butter trade is dull it runs its milk condenser which is located in the Paper Mill building. The machine was put in in the fall of 1879 and has a capacity of 6,000 quarts per day. Its cost, including engine, pumps etc., was $10,000. The cans used for storing are made by the company. The tin shop contains a full set of tools, which cost $3,000.
The paper mill, which has been closed for two years, will be opened in the spring with an entirely new set of machinery, and it will probably prove a remunerative industry.
The planing mill, which was one of the earliest factories in the county, and was formerly run by the manufacturing company, has been greatly enlarged. The management is in the hands of Marvin Lord and from eight to ten men are continually employed. Among the machines for wood work are three moulding machines, two planers and matchers, a re-rower and a mortice machine, shaper, gig-saw, and band-saw. For iron work there is an iron planer, lathe, bolt cutter, and pipe cutter. The work of the mill is exclusively for the company, furnishing materials to fill its building contracts. At present the work is upon the finishings for the school house. The manager of the carpenter work of the company is Mr. John Wanamaker.
Considerable enlargement and many improvements have been made in the grist mill since it came into the hands of this company. It now has four run of stone and complete machinery for making patent flour. There are now being put in a dump scales and a link belt elevator. The mill is run day and night. The chief miller is Mr. Alec. Rose, who is assisted by four men.
The brick yard is located just in the rear of the paper mill. The company owns a Sword's patent brick machine, and in 1881 made 1,000,000 brick.
The ice house is situated near the mill and over 800 tons of ice are put up yearly, for use in connection with the creamery.
When all its various lines of business are being carried on, the company has over 100 men on its pay rolls. The benefits of enterprise to the prosperity of the country can not be over-estimated. And thus far the returns have been such as to warrant the permanence and constant enlargement of this branch of West Point industry.
West Point Match Factory. This industry was inaugurated in the town in the fall of 1881. as yet but little progress has been made, and all the operations are performed by hand, and 300 boxes are manufactured per day. Adams & Co., the proprietors, will soon undoubtedly have occasion to enlarge their factory, as the matches made are of good quality and find a ready market.
Banks.--Bruner's Bank was organized in 1871 by Neligh, Bruner & Kipp. In 1872 the firm was changed to Bruner & Kipp, Mr. Neligh retiring, and in 1874 Mr. Bruner bought out Mr. Kipp's interest, and still continued the business under the title of Uriah Bruner's Bank.
Elkhorn Valley Bank was established in 1875 by J. W. Pollock, who still continues the business, occupying the corner of Krause's block.
Lumber Yards. - H. D. Colland's lumber yard was opened in the central part of town in 1878, where the business is still continued.
C. C. & G. A. Crowell opened a lumber yard in the northern part of town in 1870. In addition, they also manage a grain depot, which was established at the same time.
H. Hauker & Bro.'s lumber yard is located in the eastern part of town. The business was begun in the spring of 1879.
Drahos Grain Elevator. This building, of about 12,000 bushels capacity, and the only elevator in West Point, was erected in 1874, by the Grange Company of Cuming County. The hard times of 1874-1875 causing the company to suspend, the elevator passed into the hands of W. Drahos in 1877. Since that time it has been managed by him, and through it has passed much of the produce shipped from Cuming County.
Among the best known merchants who are doing a good business in West Point may be mentioned W. E. Krause, who established himself in 1869; J. Vostrovsky, in 1870, and Otto Baumann in 1873.
MAURICE S. BARTLETT, born at Andover, Mass., April 4, 1846. Parents moved to Indiana in 1856. Enlisted in spring of 1864 in Company D. One Hundred and Thirty-third Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Capt. Fred Ross. Served 100 days. Enlisted in the early part of 1865 in Company E. One Hundred and Fifty-sixth Indiana Volunteer Infantry. Discharged in fall of the same year. Went to Calumet Co., Wis., in 1866. The following year commenced work in a printing office and continued up to date. Commenced business for himself in the spring of 1874 at Oakdale, Neb. Established Oakdale Journal. Bought West Point Republican in fall of 1879.
OTTO BAUMANN, general merchandise, is a native of Bavaria. In 1865 came to Akron, Ohio, tended mason and other kind of labor. In 1866 came to Washington, Mo., there worked in a pork house. In 1867 came to Omaha, worked in a brewery about three months, then opened a boarding house, continued about eighteen months. In 1869 came to Fremont, kept a hotel, was burned out August, 1870; he then removed to West Point, opened a hotel and saloon, continued about two years. In 1873 he with others entered into partnership in merchandise, bought out his partner in 1875, has since carried on this business. From a small beginning he had worked himself up into a large and prosperous business. His sales now average about $45,000 a year; he also owns and occupies a brick store which he built in 1881--cost about $5,000; he also owns one of the finest residences in town, which he built in 1880--two story brick and mansard roof, cost about $4,000. Mr. Baumann is Chairman of the Town Board, also School Treasurer.
D. W. CLANCY, County Treasurer, is a native of Rochester, N. Y., where he was brought up. In 1856, came west, was employed by the U. P. R. R. as foreman in constructing bridges, etc. at Utah, and other points, remained in their employ about five years. In 1869 came to Cuming County, located on a farm of 160 acres, about five miles north of West Point, which he has since occupied. In the fall of 1881, he was elected to his office. Has been director of School Board about five years; has been connected with the School Board since its organization.
Z. A. CROWELL, firm of C. C. & Z. A. Crowell, lumber, grain and coal, is a native of Barnstable Co., Mass., in 1867 came to Omaha, in 1870 came to West Point and established this business; he is also a member of the firm Hungate, Crowell & Co., Blair and Baker & Crowell, Scribner. This is by far the most extensive lumber yard in the county, doing business of about $150,000 a year.
T. M. FRANSE, attorney at law, is a native of Dauphin Co. Pa., took up the study of law at Pottsville, Pa., was admitted to the bar in 1873--there practiced about one year. In 1875 came to West Point, has since been engaged in the practice of this profession. He was elected in the fall of 1881, a member of the Sixteenth Session of the House of Representatives, Fifteenth Representative District.
DANIEL C. GIFFERT, livery and livestock, was born in Chicago, Ill., there he was raised and learned the trade of cabinet making. Carried on the furniture business with his brother several years. In 1877, came to West Point, engaged in the livestock business, which he has since continued. He handles by far the largest number of hogs and other live stock of any in the county.
CHARLES HARDING, foreman West Point Creamery, is a native of Pike County, Pa. When a child came to Orange County, N. Y., where he was raised and educated. In 1877, came to West Point, at once commenced work for this company. In 1881, he was promoted to the position of foreman of this creamery. This company controls about 1,000 acres of land at this locality and owns about 550 head of cattle. They also have about 1,000 acres at their Plum Creek farm, where they own about 150 head of cattle. They employ about twenty-five hands; they average about 150 pounds of butter a day.
C. HIRSCHMAN, Deputy County Clerk, was born in Bavaria, came to Omaha in 1874, there he was clerk in a store about five years. In 1879 came to West Point and engaged in merchandising, which he still continues. January, 1882, was appointed to this office.
W. E. KRAUSE, general merchandise, was born in Prussia in 1849. Came to Canada in 1861, there he commenced to learn the dry goods business. In 1867 came to Chicago, entered a wholesale dry goods house, where he remained three years. In 1871 came to West Point, he with his brother opened a general store. They continued until 1874, when his brother sold his interest to Mr. Leppen. This partnership continued until 1876, when Mr. Leppen withdrew from the business. Mr. K. commenced this business with a capital of $1,500. Now carries a stock of about $15,000. He owns and occupies a store called the Krause Block, which was built in 1873, costing about $10,000, with a hall forty-four by seventy feet, used for entertainments. The Elkhorn Valley Bank is also located in this block.
[Portrait of J. C. Crawford.]
HON. J. C. CRAWFORD, attorney at law, was born in Northampton County, Pa., October 23, 1836, came to Nebraska in 1857, and to West Point in 1858. Was admitted to the bar by Judge Kellogg in 1861. In the fall of 1862 enlisted in Company A, Second Nebraska Cavalry, was mustered out in fall of 1863, returned to Cuming County, engaged in farming until 1870, then took up the practice of his profession which he has since followed. He was the first Postmaster of West Point, the first County Treasurer and second County Clerk of Cuming County. He served six years in the State Legislature--from 1873 - 1879--having been twice elected to the Senate and once to the House of Representatives.
JOHN J. KING, superintendent of the West Point Butter and Cheese Association, is a native of Orange County, N. Y. In 1877 he with his father came to West Point, engaged in livestock, the following year this institution was incorporated. He was then chosen superintendent, which position he has ably filled.
JOHN J. LONG, farmer, Section 26, Township 6, P. O. West Point, Cuming County. Was born in Jackson County, Ohio, February 13, 1842. In 1861, he enlisted in Company K, Thirty-sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, serving in the Army of the Cumberland under Gen. Thomas until the close of the war. He was discharged at Wheeling, W. Va. He married in Adams County, Ohio, June 12, 1863, Miss Sarah E. McNeil, who was born in that county. They have three children, Corlia V., Charles A., and Lulie. He lived in Jackson County until November, 1877, when he moved to Nebraska, locating at present residence in Cuming County. He has there a farm of 320 acres, 180 acres in cultivation, the rest being grass land. He raises corn chiefly. Is also engaged in stock raising. Has a considerable number of cattle on hand. He is preparing to raise and deal in cattle extensively. He does a large business with machinery during the threshing and shelling season. He is a Republican.
[F. W. MELCHER'S STORE.]
F. W. MELCHER, agricultural implements and sewing machines. Was born in Dodge County, Wis., in 1865. Came with his parents to West Point. Assisted on their farm. In 1876 he commenced this business with a capital of thirty-five cents. He is now doing the largest trade in his line of any of the county. He owns and occupies a brick store 22x81, built in 1881, also a frame structure in the rear, 22x33 feet, and is supplied with all the leading farm machinery and carriages, buggies, spring wagons etc.
HENRY LUHENS, billiards and saloon. Was born in Cook County, Ill. At the breaking out of the war he enlisted in Company B, Thirteenth Illinois Cavalry, Served three years and four months. In 1865 he went to St. Louis and engaged in the grocery trade. In 1867 came to Omaha and ran a hotel. In 1872 came to West Point. Also engaged in the hotel business. He owns 320 acres of land, improved, which he devotes to farming and livestock. When a resident of Omaha he was a member of the City Council.
W. D. MOULTON, proprietor Neligh House, also book keeper for the West Point Butter and Cheese Association. Was born in Orleans County, Vt. Since the age of fifteen he has been engaged in book keeping. In 1870 he came to Titusville, Pa. In 1876 came to Wisner. In 1878 he removed to West Point. He has since had full charge of this office. August 12, 1881, he took charge of the Neligh House, which is the largest and finest house in northern Nebraska.
EUGENE MOORE was born at Dahlonega, Wapello Co., Iowa, in 1854 and when quite young removed with his parents to Ottumwa, where he went to school, clerked in various stores and offices, and taught school until 1875, when he took up the study of phonography and was appointed official stenographer of the Sixth Judicial District of Nebraska by Judge E. K. Valentine, in March 1877, and later, upon Mr. Valentine's election to Congress, Judge J. B. Barnes. re-appointed him, which office he now holds. In March, 1882, Mr. Moore was admitted to the bar at West Point, Cuming County, Nebraska, which has been his home for the past five years. The subject of this sketch is a notary public, real estate and insurance agent. In 1879 he was married to Miss Ann M. Lamb, at Eddyville, Iowa.
[Portrait of John D. Neligh.]
JOHN D. NELIGH, superintendent of the water power of the West Point Butter and Cheese Association. Is a native of Northampton County, Pa. At the age of sixteen he commenced to learn brick manufacturing. Followed this business a number of years. In 1856 he came to Iowa City, Iowa. In the fall of 1857 came to Omaha. March 1858, removed to West Point, where he has since resided. He is one of the oldest settlers here. He built the West Point House. Ran it several years. In 1866 he built his present residence where he has since resided. In 1872 he built the Neligh House, which is by far the largest and best house in northern Nebraska--cost about $12,000. This he disposed of in 1879. In 1867 he, with Mr. Bruner, built the West Point Mill, now operated by the West Point Manufacturing Company, under a lease. In the fall of 1858 he was elected member of the Legislature. October 12, 1858, he was elected Register, this being the first election in the county. October, 1859, was elected Probate Judge October, 1862, was elected County Clerk. Held this office eight years. Was elected Chairman of the School Board, April, 1864. He represented Burt and Cuming Counties in the Legislature in 1864. In the fall of 1866 he was elected to the Territorial Council, representing Washington, Burt and Cuming Counties. Held the office of Postmaster from 1862 to 1870. In the spring of 1871 he was elected to the Constitutional Convention, comprising the counties of Wayne and Cuming. In 1872 was elected a delegate to the National Convention at Philadelphia. Was president of the West Point Agricultural Society in 1873, and President of the Grange Company. In the fall of 1874 the West Point Manufacturing Company was organized. He was elected President and has since been annually elected to this position. Was appointed Chairman of the Town Board in 1869. In 1873 it became a city of the second class and he was elected Mayor. Elected again in 1876. He was appointed in 1871, by the Legislature, a member of the board of Immigration.
F. W. RAGOSS, County Clerk, is a native of Prussia; there learned the jewelry trade in 1868. Came to New York; worked at his trade there and at other points. In 1870 came to West Point; opened a jewelry store, which he has since carried on. In 1877 he was appointed County Clerk, to fill a vacancy caused by the death of T. Roch. In the fall of 1881 he was elected to this office by a majority of 245 on the Democratic ticket. Has been several terms a member of the Town Board.
HENRY D. READINGER, County Superintendent, was born in Berks County, Pa. There he was brought up, and engaged in school-teaching; afterwards removed to Lehigh County--followed merchandising. July, 1876, came to West Point; taught school here three years and three months. In the fall of 1881 he was elected to this office.
A. M. ROSE, miller at the West Point Mills, was born in England. When a child, came to New York with his parents; learned this trade in Albany, N. Y.; worked for A. D. Shepard & Co., twenty-two years. In the fall of 1879 came to West Point, and at once took charge of this mill.
HON. R. F. STEVENSON, attorney-at-law, was born in Ogle County, Ill.; there took up the study of law. Was admitted to the bar in 1868 in Dixon, Ill.; practiced with Judge Eustace. February, 1869, came to West Point, where he has since been engaged in the practice of his profession. He has been a member of the Constitutional Convention twice, also represented this county in the Legislature. He enlisted in 1864 in Company F, Eighteenth Illinois Infantry. Was honorably discharged in January, 1866.
WILLIAM STUEFER, real-estate and law-office, was born in Dodge County, Wis. His father carried on a general store in Watertown; there he assisted in the store. In 1863 they came to West Point; settled on a farm, where he was engaged several years. In 1873 he was elected Coroner; held this office two years. In 1875 was appointed Deputy County Clerk. In 1877 he was elected to this office, which he held until January, 1882.
DR. T. D. THOMPSON, physician and surgeon, is a native of Berks County, Pa., his father being a practicing physician of Reading. At an early age he took up this study under his father's instruction, and, later, continued his studies at the Medical Department of the University of Philadelphia, Pa.; graduated from the institution March 13, 1873. He then continued the course of 1873-74. He then commenced practicing in Reading, where he continued two years. In 1876 came to West Point, where he has since been actively engaged in the practice of his profession. He is the examining physician for all life insurance companies and other societies, also one of the Commissioners of the Board of Insanity. His practice is by far the most extensive of any of the physicians in this locality.
J. VOSTROVSKY, general merchandise, was born in Bohemia. In 1864 he came to St. Louis; in 1865 came to Cedar Rapids, Iowa; in 1870 came to West Point. A few years later went to California, where he remained three years. Then returned to West Point, and opened a general store, which he has successfully continued. He now owns and occupies a very fine brick store twenty-two by eighty-one feet, which he built at a cost of about $4,000. This structure is provided with a hall where six secret societies regularly meet. Mr. V. commenced business with a capital of seventy-five dollars; now carrying a stock of $20,000. He has been Town Treasurer the past three years. Is also a member of the Town Board.
F. W. WELNA, Deputy County Treasurer, was born in Bohemia. In 1864 came to Milwaukee, thence to Chicago. In 1869 came to West Point; was a partner in the brewery here about six years. In 1879 he was elected Clerk of the District Court. In the fall of 1881 he was appointed to his present position. He was also agent for the Mason & Hamlin organ and other musical instruments.
H. ZERRUNG, drugs, etc., was born in Morrow County, Ohio, in 1852. Came to Tama County, Iowa, in 1872; came to Blair, Neb., the following year. Came to West Point and established this business. In 1877 he was elected County Treasurer; held this office two years. In the fall of 1881 he was elected Senator, representing the Ninth Senatorial District.