Andreas' History of the State of Nebraska
Produced by Diana Busing.

Part 9


JOHN E. BAGLEY, attorney at law, was born in Richland, Keokuk County, Iowa, October, 1848, and was reared on a farm. In 1871, he began the study of law in the office of E. Odell, at McGregor, Iowa, following it off and on for several years. He came to Nebraska in the spring of 1874; resided for a few months at Falls City, Richardson County, during which period he studied law with A. J. Weaver, District Judge, and was admitted to practice at the bar in May 1874, at Pawnee City, Neb. He came to Sutton September 2, that year, and began the practice of this profession, and on November 1, 1875; became associated with George W. Bemis, under the style of Bagley & Bemis, which firm still conducts a law office at this place. Mr. Bagley was elected Chairman of the Board of Trustees of Sutton in April, 1881, and Chairman of the School Board in 1880, and re-elected in 1881. He was married in Scott County, Iowa, July 10, 1871, to Rose Anna Johnson, a native of Iowa. They have four children--Horace B., Blanche, Minnie and one infant daughter.

GEORGE W. BEMIS, of the firm of Bagley & Bemis, attorneys at law, was born in Mayfield, Fulton County, N. Y., September 1, 1846; removed to Cedar Rapids, Iowa, at seventeen, and engaged as salesman in hardware for two years, and was Deputy Postmaster at that place for one year; afterward followed merchandising at Marion and Belle Plaine, until he came to Sutton in May, 1871, being among the first to settle in that then wilderness. He homesteaded eighty-one acres on the town site section of Sutton, which he still owns and has finely improved. His village residence appears on page-- (image). He studied law with Col. H. W. Gray, and was admitted to practice in the spring of 1874, and rose rapidly to a large and lucrative practice, being in 1876 appointed City Attorney, and in that capacity drew the first ordinance ever passed in the city. In May, 1882, he defended and cleared A. M. Anderson of the murder of John Johnson, a case of great notoriety in Clay County, Neb., his effort in that behalf being admittedly the most ingenious and able ever made in the county. He has been a partner with John E. Bagley for seven years past. Mr. Bemis was married at Marion, Iowa, January 1, 1868, to Ada A. Gray; they have four children--Albert L., George W., Jr., Anna and Eugene.


[Portrait of I. N. CLARK.]

ISAAC N. CLARK was born at Parma, near Cleveland, Ohio, June 18, 1836. At the age of three years, he learned his first lessons in one of the log schoolhouses of that new country. At the age of ten years, he assisted his father on the farm. From the age of fourteen to twenty years, his winters were spent at school, either at Brooklyn Academy or Baldwin University, Berea. At the age of twenty-one, he went to Hiram College, Ohio, to attend a Teachers' Institute, and there received a certificate to teach school from James A. Garfield, then President of that college and School Superintendent of that county. The following winter he taught in his native town. The following spring he went to Jefferson County, Mo., procured the school at Blackwell Station and taught until October; then went to Champaign County, Ill., and engaged in farming until the war of the rebellion. He enlisted with the Illinois volunteers, on the 4th day of June, 1861; he was soon after ordered to St. Louis and mustered into Company G, Twenty-fifth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He was appointed a Corporal and stationed at the United States Arsenal, to guard rebel prisoners confined there, until September, when, from camp exposure, he took inflammation of the eyes, and was sent to the hospital, near Carondelet, Mo., and, after weeks of suffering. this terminated in ulceration of the left eye; was transferred to the Sisters of Charity Hospital, Pine street, St. Louis, and though the best of medical skill was provided, the disease resulted in a permanent opacity, for which he was honorably discharged on the 4th day of October, 1861. For this disability he has received a pension. In September, 1863, he returned to Ohio, and was married to Miss Mary Miner, of Olmsted Falls, Ohio. She was a native of West Fairlee, Vt. She was born June 27, 1838; was a school teacher for eleven years previous to her marriage, and afterward shared with her husband in the trials of building up a home on the prairies of Central Illinois. In January, 1872, came with his family to Sutton, Neb.; she began with the early workers to assist in organizing the Sabbath School, church and other societies of Sutton. The result of this matrimonial union has been the family consisting of Harry M. Clark and Davie Clark, twins, the latter died at seven months. Harry is now sixteen years old, attends school and assists his father in his hardware store; Myra E. Clark, twelve years; Bertie W. Clark, ten years, both born in Champaign, Ill.; and Roy N. Clark, four years old, born in Sutton, Neb. In 1865, the precinct of Champaign, Ill., was divided and the new township of Hensley was created, and Mr. Clark was elected its first Town Clerk, which office he held for three years, and also the office of Assessor and Collector. In October, 1871, he, in company with his brother Martin, started West to look up a location to engage in the mercantile business, and landed at Sutton, then the end of the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad in Nebraska. The Clark Bros. soon after purchased the unsold portion of Sutton, consisting of 400 lots, and at once went about building a store building 20x60, with a capacity to accommodate two stocks of goods. The same was completed January 1, 1872, and the family moved from Illinois and reached Sutton the 15th of that month. The winter was unusually cold, and the only room vacant in the place was the rear part of the hardware store, built of stock boards and unplastered. The new store building in the meantime was fitted up, and, on February 17, 1872, the opening stock was purchased in Lincoln, Neb., and amounted to $600. The Omaha tribe of Indians, 400, came through on their annual hunt, and camped at Sutton, and, during their stay, had a lively trade with them in ammunition, hunter's and trapper's outfits. For several years afterward this roving band would repeat their annual visits to Sutton to traffic in furs for merchandise. In the fall of 1872, the hardware business had so increased as to need more room, and a new building 22x60 was built to accommodate the same. In 1873, Mr. Samuel Carney, a skillful tinner, who had been in the employ of Mr. Clark, became a partner of I. N. Clark & Co. In 1874, a change of business center and a growing business required the building of a large two-story building now occupied on Saunders avenue. In 1876, he was elected a member of the Board of Village Trustees. The same year the M. E. Church decided to build, and chose Mr. Clark Chairman of their Board of Trustees. He went to Lincoln and procured a donation of two car-loads of stone. He organized the Sutton Brick Company, and made the brick for the church building, and the same was completed in December of that year. Mr. C. gave liberal donations to that as well as to most of the church enterprises of this town. In May, 1877, the town of Sutton was organized as a city of the second class, and elected I. N. Clark its first Mayor, and with an excellent Board of Councilmen, with the young city had chosen to assist him, that municipal year was characterized by general improvement and activity. In May, 1878, he was re-elected Mayor. His Glen Lake improvement on a branch of School Creek, in the western suburbs of the city, is now a fine body of water, yielding hundreds of tons of ice annually, and affording a fine place for boating and skating, and is stocked with German carp fish from the State fisheries. In October, 1880, he was elected President of the Pioneer Settlers' Association of Clay County, and at this writing enjoys the surroundings of a happy family and a pleasant home.

SAMUEL CARNEY, of I. N. Clark & Co., hardware merchants, was born in Bedford, Penn., January 27, 1850. He began learning the trade of tinner at the age of seventeen years, at Altoona, Penn., serving three years as an apprentice, after which he followed his trade at Bedford for fifteen months; afterward engaged in stove and tinware business at Shellsburg, Penn., for some nine months. He came to Nebraska in May, 1872, homesteading eighty acres in Fillmore County, and came to Sutton in the following month; was employed as a clerk, etc., by I. N. Clark, until September 1, 1873, when he was admitted as a partner. He was married in Sutton, January 1, 1878, to Eugenie M. Gray, a native of Marion, Iowa; they have two children--Bertha and Holladay.

[Portrait of MARTIN V. B. CLARK, M. D.]

MARTIN V. B. CLARK, M. D., third son of David and Ximena Clark, was born in Parma, Cuyahoga Co., Ohio, April 28, 1840, of Connecticut parentage. Commencing his education at the district school, he pursued it during the winter at Baldwin University, and in the summers studied and worked on the farm. He early displayed a taste for natural science, constructing at the age of fourteen an induction electric machine and telegraph. Farm life gave young Clark easy access to practical field work which he improved in mastering botany without an instructor. During his boyhood he collected and classified the flora, fossils, rocks, and the implements of the Mound-Builders of his native county. He enlisted under Lincoln's first call for three years troops as a private in Company C, Seventh Regiment Ohio Volunteers, June 20, 1861, going directly from his father's corn-field into the regiment. He was afterward transferred to and was honorably discharged as Sergeant of Artillery. At the close of the war, he went back to the farm and his studies, and was married July 4, 1866, to Mary D. Henry, of Parma, Ohio. Their children were Ally E., Mamy L., deceased, Edith and Ruth. Dr. Clark graduated in pharmacy at Baldwin University February 4, 1867, receiving the degree of Bachelor in Medicine, and in medicine in the Cleveland Medical College February 28, 1869, receiving the degree of Doctor of Medicine. He was Professor of Pharmacy and Toxicology at Baldwin University, Ohio, for a period of five years, and was a member of the convention to revise the U. S. Pharmacopoeia for 1870. He emigrated to Nebraska, and with his brother bought out the town of and settled in Sutton, Neb., November 1, 1871, and is the pioneer physician and druggist of Clay County. In the year 1873, he was elected Coroner, serving three successive terms, and was appointed United States Pension Surgeon, Commissioner of Insanity, and one of the five Trustees of the village of Sutton, and was twice re-elected to the last named office. In July, 1881, he made a difficult chemical analysis of the viscera of J. S. Johnson, poisoned with arsenic near Sutton, in Clay County. Dr. Clark was elected a Lecturer on Natural Sciences to the York, Neb., Seminary in 1880, and is a member of the Nebraska Academy of Sciences. He has been identified with every political, scientific and material interest of his adopted town and country. Successful as a druggist, his reputation and skill as a surgeon and obstetrician is approached but by few. Among his literary works worthy of notice is the centennial history of Clay County. Chiefest of all, his was the record of an honorable life, and of such as he were the early builders, contributing and helping with a tireless hand to establish society, church and state, thus preparing the way for posterity to enter upon and possess a rich inheritance.

DOUGLAS C. CONNER, dealer in groceries, etc., was born at Athens, Ohio, October 14, 1849. His parents died when he was quite young, and he began to earn his livelihood at a very early age. Was employed on farms and in lumber woods until he came to Sutton in December, 1872, and, in February following, established this business in company with J. S. Sheppard. In June, 1880, his partner retired, and Mr. C. has since conducted the business alone. He carries a nice stock of about $3,000, and does annual business of $10,000.

HON. J. B. DINSMORE, banker, was born March 15, 1838, in Ripley, Chautauqua Co., N. Y., and was raised on a farm until he was twenty-one years of age. He then went to Wyandotte County, Kan., where he was engaged in farming one season, and after this followed the same occupation in Saline County, Mo., for eighteen months. Returning to his home in New York, he enlisted in the Ninth New York Cavalry, Company I, in September, 1861, and was promoted to the rank of Second Lieutenant of that company in November, 1862, and was mustered out of service October 25, 1864. After his return from the army he was engaged in farming about one year at Ripley, N. Y., after which he established a mercantile business at Ashville, Chautauqua County, in that State, which he followed until 1872. Disposing of his business, he came to Nebraska May 3, 1872, and took a homestead of 160 acres in Clay County, upon which he resided for about three years, and then took up his residence in Sutton. Was elected Sheriff of Clay County in October, 1873, holding the office until January 1, 1876. Was elected Clerk of the same county in the fall of 1875, and was ex officio Clerk of the District Court, entering upon the office January 1, 1876, and serving for a period of two years. In May, 1873, prior to his election to the office of Sheriff, was appointed Commissioner of the county, which position he held until he entered upon the duties of Sheriff. On January 1, 1877, he, in company with L. R. Grimes, established a bank at Sutton, and about three years later Mr. Grimes retired from the firm, and F. C. Matteson became an owner of a half interest in the concern, the style of the firm being J. B. Dinsmore & Co. The capital stock of the bank is $20,000; deposits, $35,000, the firm carrying on general exchange and banking business. Besides his interest in the bank, Mr. Dinsmore is owner of a section of land in this county, which is let to renters. In November, 1880, he was elected to the State Senate from this district, and at the early part of the session was elected President pro tem. of that body.

HOSEA W. GRAY, senior member of the firm of J. M. Gray & Co., was born in Tioga County, Penn., April 7, 1816. At an early age, he removed with his parents to Bradford County, in the same State. His education was obtained in the common schools of the country, by private tutors, and at the Athens Academy. His business life began at the early age of fourteen; when at intervals not engaged in studies, he was employed for several years as clerk in a store. At the age of nineteen years, he engaged as a teacher in Lycoming County, Penn., which occupation he followed in that county and Bradford until the year 1838, when he emigrated to the West. Spent a year in Illinois, and, finally settled at Marion, Linn County, Iowa, in the year 1839. He was elected Sheriff of that county in the fall of that year, and was re-elected for four terms in succession; in all eight years. Mr. Gray had previously read law with his father, who was a lawyer, and was admitted to the bar at Marion, Iowa, in 1847. After entering the profession, and some practice, he was elected Clerk of the District Court in 1848. Retiring from office in 1850, he purchased a stock farm of 640 acres, and gave his attention for some years to his farms. In 1856, he was elected a member of the Constitutional Convention that framed the present constitution of Iowa. The twenty-fifth anniversary of the work of that convention, which has remained unchanged, was celebrated at the capital of the State, on the 19th of January last, by the surviving members, of whom Mr. Gray was one. In the year 1857, he was appointed one of the fiscal agents of the State to settle with the custodians of the school funds, and the same year was appointed Commissioner of Public Buildings, in which capacity he served three years, and during which term the Blind Asylum at Vinton was located and erected. In 1857, Mr. Gray engaged in the mercantile business under the firm style of Peddicord, Gray & Co. Three years later the style changed to H. W. Gray & Co. In April, 1861, before any requisition had been issued, he enlisted a company, and tendered then for active service. The company of which he was Captain was mustered into service as Company A, Sixth Iowa Infantry. He received a commission also as Lieutenant Colonel. After two years' service he resigned on account of severe and protracted sickness. In doing so, he received universal expressions of regret from brother officers, and an assurance of reinstatement by the Adjutant General whenever the state of his health would admit of his taking the field. This he was precluded from doing, but he rendered important services in recruiting and organizing troops for the war. At the close of the war, having disposed of his mercantile business, he retired to this farm, which he superintended during the next four years. In April, 1869, his wife, who had been an invalid for some years, died. Soon afterward he sold out, and, in 1871, came to Nebraska. In that year he entered by pre-emption 160 acres of land in Fillmore County, and with his son established themselves in the lumber trade under the firm name of J. M. Gray & Co. The business has been prosperous, and is continued under the same firm at Sutton, Clay Co., Neb. In 1872, Mr. Gray opened a law office in the same town. He has been successfully engaged in the practice to the present time, but is now retiring from the business on account of advanced age. He was married in the year 1840, in Linn County, Iowa, to Annie M. Smith. Her family were from Guilford, N. C., but she was born and raised at Indianapolis, Ind. As before stated, she died in 1869. Seven children--John M., Clinton B., Ada A., Celestia A., Eugenia M., Hosea W., Jr., and Abraham L. survive her, to cheer the declining years of their aged father. In their society, retired from the anxieties and cares of business, with a competence for necessary wants, the subject of this sketch hopes to await the sunset of life in virtuous contemplation.

WILLIAM GRIESS, of the firm of H. Griess & Son, dealers in grain and produce, was born in Russia October 26, 1852, and was reared on a farm. He emigrated to Nebraska with his father in June, 1873, and located in School Creek Precinct, Clay County. His father purchased 1,689 acres and gave him 640 acres of it, which he farmed for some five years. He came to Sutton to reside February 12, 1879, and joined his father, H. Griess, in his present business on September 1 of that year. The subject of our sketch was married in Russia March 25, 1873, to Katherina Ochsner, a native of that country. They have four children--William, Lydia, Margaretha and Mary A.

JOSEPH GRICE, manufacturer and dealer in harness, saddlery, etc., was born in the county of York, Ontario, March 31, 1847, removing with parents to Cedar County, Iowa, when quite young; he learned this trade at Springdale and Blairstown, Iowa, serving as an apprentice some two and a half years. He then went to Quincy, Ill., where he was employed as a harness-maker, etc., in Government work, until 1864, after which he followed his trade in Caldwell, Mo. He came to Sutton in February, 1874, and in company with D. J. Towslee purchased this business. They dissolved July 15, 1878, since which time Mr. G. has conducted the business alone. November 1, 1881, he opened a branch establishment at Aurora, He has the oldest established business in this line in Sutton, and carries a nice stock of about $4,000. Mr. Grice was married at Sutton, October 14, 1877, to Nettie J. Hileman, and they have two children--Eugene C. and Aves L.

HENRY GROSSHAUS, of the firm of John Grosshaus & Co., dealers in grain, was born in Russia March 13, 1858, immigrating to America in 1873 with his father, John Grosshaus. They located in Sutton, Neb., in August of that year. Mr. Grosshaus, Sr., having purchased 800 acres of land in the neighborhood, Henry has since assisted him in conducting the farms. The father and son engaged in the grain business in the fall of 1876. Henry Grosshaus is also engaged in the agricultural implement business at this place in company with his brother August. This business was established in the spring of 1881.

RICHARD A. HAWLEY, dealer in grain, flour, seed, etc.; was born in Kent, England, February 17, 1837, emigrating to America in 1849, residing in Rochester, N. Y., for three years, after which he went to Rock County, Wis., where he practiced dentistry. He enlisted in February, 1864, in the Thirty-third Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, serving until the close of the war. Subsequently was employed in the United States Government printing contract at Madison, Wis. He came to Nebraska in March, 1867, homesteaded 160 acres in Nemaha County, and was for eight years engaged in farming, and during this period was also Justice for six years. Moving to Brownville in that county, he engaged in the implement and grain business. Two years later, he admitted D. E. Douglas as a partner, continuing to conduct the business with him until November 1, 1879. Mr. Hawley came to Sutton in the fall of 1879, purchasing an elevator at that time; has since been engaged in his present business. He was married in Rock County, Wis., in 1859, to Elizabeth J. Warner, of Green Bush, N. Y. They have seven children--William W., Rhoda, Weltha, John, Maud, Frank, and one infant son.

WILLIAM J. KELLER, druggist, was born in Rimersburg, Penn., in August, 1844, and eleven years later removed to Dane County, Wis., where he resided with his parents on a farm. He learned the trade of blacksmith, serving some three years. Mr. K. enlisted August 14, 1862, in the Twenty-third Wisconsin Infantry, serving until July 17, 1865, after which he followed his trade in Dane County until he came to Nebraska in the spring of 1873, at which time he took up a timber claim of eighty acres in Sutton Precinct, Clay County, and has since improved it yearly. Since his arrival here, has been engaged in the grain business, as clerk in a general merchandise store, and also as traveling salesman in the agricultural implement business. In November, 1875, he purchased Thompson's interest in the drug store business of Thompson & Wilcox. In 1876, Dr. Wilcox sold his interest to Dr. Kendall, and, in May, 1877, the Doctor retired, since which time Mr. Keller has continued the business alone. In November, 1880, he added a stock of jewelry, and, since January, 1882, has also been engaged in real estate and loan business in company with J. S. Le Hew. He has filled several of the town offices, and was elected Clerk of Clay County in November, 1879, for a term of two years. Mr. K. organized the Governor's Guards at this place, which afterward mustered into the First Regiment of Nebraska National Guards, of which he is Lieutenant Colonel, commissioned in July, 1881.

JOSEPH S. LE HEW, attorney at law, was born near Granville, Licking Co., Ohio, March 14, 1841, residing on a farm until fourteen years of age, when he was apprenticed to the trade of blacksmith and served three years, after which was employed as a journeyman. He enlisted September 7, 1861, in the Fifteenth Ohio Infantry. At the battle of Stone River, Tenn., December 31, 1862, was taken prisoner and held until exchanged, some three months later; also received several wounds; was mustered out November 21, 1865. Married to Elenora Pier, at Van Wert, Ohio, October 1, 1866. Subsequently was, for two years, engaged in the manufacture of brick, in company with his brother, at Van Wert, Ohio; then traveling in Indiana in the insurance business, also reading law. He came to Nebraska in May, 1871; homesteaded 160 acres in Grafton Precinct, Fillmore County, where he followed farming and also manufactured brick, it being the first made in that county. He came to Sutton in September, 1874, and in November joined John E. Bagley in a law office, and was admitted to practice in February, 1875. The firm dissolved some months later, since which time he has practiced alone. In 1875, in company with C. M. Comstock, he established the Sutton Globe; was, however, connected with this enterprise only a few months. In January 1882, he formed a partnership with W. J. Keller, for the purpose of dealing in real estate, etc. Mr. Le Hew was appointed Justice of the Peace in the summer of 1875, and filled that office until January, 1882; was Clerk of Sutton from 1876 to 1880, and during 1880 held the office of Treasurer of the town. He drew up the military code of the State, in company with Capt. W. T. Scott, which was passed and approved by the Governor February 28, 1881, and was appointed Judge Advocate, with the rank of Captain, on the Governor's Staff, commissioned July 13, 1881.

LINTON BROTHERS, livery, sale and feed stable. This firm is composed of Thornton R. and William R. Linton. They established this business in October, 1871, and it is now the oldest in the county. They have a fine large stable, which they built in the fall of 1878, at a cost of $4,000. Thornton R. Linton was born at Leesville, Lawrence Co., Ind., December 18, 1845, and five years later moved with his parents to Leon, Iowa, where he was engaged in farming until nineteen years of age; afterward engaged in the same capacity in Illinois and Missouri. He came to Nebraska in May, 1871, and homesteaded eighty acres in Sutton Precinct, Clay County; was for a few months engaged in teaming, etc., and entered into his present business in October following. He is the owner of some 580 acres of land, and is largely engaged in farming and breeding cattle, hogs, etc. He was married at Sutton, in November, 1875, to Annie Hollingsworth, a native of Illinois. They have one daughter--Lena.

MERRILL & CO., general merchants. This firm is composed of J. C. and R. G. Merrill. They established this business in January, 1873, carrying a stock of about $3,500. Their business has largely increased and a stock of $15,000 is now carried. They do an annual business of about $25,000, besides which they are largely engaged in farming, stock-raising, etc. J. C. Merrill was born in Fulton County, Ohio, November 19, 1843, and resided on a farm until twenty-three years of age, with the exception of five months during the war, which he served in the One Hundred and Thirtieth Ohio Infantry. In September, 1866, he went to Ai, Ohio, and was for about four years engaged in mercantile business. He came to Nebraska in May, 1871, homesteading 160 acres in Sutton Precinct, Clay County. He resided on the same for two years, after which he removed here, engaging in mercantile business in January, 1873. He was married in Fulton County, Ohio, March 26, 1865, to Hattie S. Felter, of Augusta, Penn. They have five children--Annie H., George A., Rose, Claude and Gertrude.

R. G. MERRILL was born in Fulton County, Ohio, January 12, 1846, and was reared on a farm. He enlisted May 2, 1864, in the One Hundred and Thirtieth Ohio Infantry, serving five months, after which he returned to the parental roof. At the age of twenty-one, he engaged in farming on his own account, following the same in Fulton County for about four years. He came to Nebraska in May, 1871; homesteaded 160 acres in Sutton Precinct, Clay County, residing on it for about two years, after which he removed here, and in January, 1873, joined J. C. Merrill in his present business. Mr. Merrill was married in Fulton County, Ohio, in 1868, to Lucy Quiggle, a native of Geauga County, Ohio. They have three children--Ray C., Elmer C. and Bernice L.

WILLIAM C. PICKING, Principal of the Sutton High School, was born in Franklin County, Penn., February 19, 1854, and was reared on a farm. His father was a teacher, and also managed a farm. Mr. P. began to teach at the age of sixteen years in Franklin County, following it there and in Center County for about five years, off and on, during which period he studied hard and improved his education. In the spring of 1872, he went to Ogle County, Ill., and taught a district school for seven months. Subsequently attended the State Normal School for a term, after which he taught in Madison and Ogle Counties, Ill., for about one year, and again attended the State Normal School for one year. He then had charge of the Magnolia High School, Putnam County, for one year, and two years at Lostant in charge of the graded school. He came to Nebraska in June, 1880; had charge of Juniata graded school for six months, and came to Sutton, April 18, 1881, at which time he entered upon his present duties.

JOHN B. ROYS, farmer and stock-raiser, was born in La Moille County, Vt., in 1833, and nine years later moved with his parents to Woonsocket, R. I. He assisted his father in farming and in the blacksmith shop until he reached the age of seventeen years, when he went to Boston, Mass., where he learned the trade of builder. Here he was engaged as contractor and builder for over twenty years. In 1871, he was appointed Assistant Inspector of Buildings for the city of Boston, and held that position for about four years. Mr. R. came to Nebraska in March, 1878, after three years of travel in New Mexico, Arizona, Texas, California, Kansas and portions of other States West, looking for a new home, and located in Sutton Precinct, Clay County, and adjoining the town of Sutton. He is the owner of 320 acres, and is largely engaged in farming; also breeds cattle and hogs, making a specialty of thoroughbred Durham cattle and thoroughbred Poland-China Hogs. Mr. R. has a fine residence, which he built in July, 1879, at a cost of $5,000.

JACOB STEINMETZ, of the firm of Jacob Steinmetz & Co., dealers in agricultural implements, was born in New York City November 5, 1840, and fifteen years later removed with his parents to Ashland County, Ohio, where he was for some years employed on a farm. He served as a soldier during the war. Afterward he conducted a grocery business at Ashland for two years and a brewery for one year. He came to Nebraska in February, 1871, and in the following May pre-empted 160 acres in School Creek Precinct, Clay County, residing on the same until October, 1881, when he removed his family to Sutton. In 1877, he came to Sutton and engaged in selling agricultural implements, employed by McCormick & Co., of Chicago, and in the spring of 1878 engaged in the implement business, in company with C. W. Walther. This firm lasted one season. Mr. S. then engaged in the same business in company with J. B. Kart and M. Baltzer. The latter retired from the firm in the spring of 1880, and the two remaining partners have since conducted the business. Mr. S. was elected Coroner of Clay County at its organization for a term of two years, and also as Justice of the Peace for two years, and held the office of Assessor of School Creek Precinct from 1875 to the end of 1880. He was married at Ashland, Ohio, in 1861, to Elizabeth Goreiner, a native of Ohio. She died in 1876, leaving three children--Mary E., Georgiana S., Elizabeth I. He was married again, at Sutton, in February 1879, to Minnie Flach, a native of Germany. They have one daughter--Amelia M. Mr. Steinmetz built the first frame house on School Creek, hauling lumber from Crete, fifty miles away. In 1872, in company with P. Curren, he established the first butcher shop in Sutton.

JOHN W. SHIRLEY, broker and loan agent, was born in Hancock County, Ohio, March 14, 1833, and resided on a farm until sixteen years of age, when he went to California, where he resided for twenty-two years, during which period he was engaged in mining in that State and Arizona, and was also for eight years engaged in the cultivation of hops. He came to Sutton, Neb., in October, 1874, and at once established himself in this business; in connection with this, in 1877, he built an elevator, and for two years conducted a grain business. He was elected Justice of the Peace in 1876, and re-elected in 1878 and 1881. He was married in California, in 1860, to Mary Powers; she died in 1871, leaving two children--Howard and Annie. Mr. S. was married again at Sutton, Neb., in October, 1876, to Mary B. Detwiller, a native of Virginia; they have three children--John M., George and Marril.

RICHARD S. SILVER, farmer and stock-raiser, was born in Bedford County, Penn., in November, 1843, and resided with his father on a farm until he was twenty-three years of age, and three years of that time was employed in a grist-mill. He then farmed on his own account and raised considerable sheep and cattle; was also for five years engaged inn the grain business. He came to Sutton in April, 1878, purchased 400 acres adjoining the town of Sutton, and 645 acres in Fillmore County, besides other lands. Is the owner in all of 885 acres, nearly all of which is under cultivation. Is also largely engaged in breeding stock, making a specialty of Durham Short-Horn cattle and Merino sheep; has on hand 525 of the latter. On January 1, 1882, in connection with other pursuits, he formed a partnership with Francis M. Brown, for the purpose of buying and selling live stock. Dissolved partnership with Mr. Brown May 1, 1881, and continued shipping and feeding cattle and hogs, without a partner. Mr. S. is one of the largest farmers and stock-raisers in the county. He was married in Bedford County, Penn., in 1866, to Mary Berkheimer of that place; they have seven children--Carrie B., Binnie M., Ida R., Annie G., Rachel M., May and Richard.

MARKUS WITTENBERG, general merchant, was born in Hungary in April, 1838, and nineteen years later emigrated to America; he located in Leavenworth, Kan., and was for six months employed as a tailor and also in peddling. After this, he went to Osage County, Kan., and engaged in farming. He enlisted in the summer of 1862, in the Twelfth Kansas Volunteer Infantry, serving for three years, returning to this farm in Osage County; he conducted the same for some five years; subsequently removing to Topeka, Kan., he was engaged in conducting a confectionery and cigar store, until he came to Sutton in December, 1873, at which time he opened a fancy grocery store; three years later, he added a stock of dry goods, etc., and in December, 1881, he divided his stock. He has now two stores, one consisting of general merchandise, and the other a grocery establishment. Mr. W. was married in Topeka, Kan., in March, 1872, to Rachel Schumacher, a native of Alsace; they have four children--Belle, Nanette, Herman and Abraham.

WILLIAM D. YOUNG, of the firm of Young & Torrey, dealers in wind-mills, pumps, etc., was born in Dane County, Wis., in August, 1848, where he was employed in farming until he came to Nebraska in October, 1867. Remained for one year in Hamilton County; then for some six months at Fort MacPherson in charge of cattle-trains on the U. P. R. R.; after which, he returned to Hamilton County, homesteaded eighty acres of land in 1869, and farmed two seasons. Returning home to Madison, Wis., he remained there until he came to Sutton January 1, 1872, at which time he engaged in the implement business and followed it for four seasons in company with R. M. Thompson. He then entered the employ o the "King Bridge Company," of Cleveland, and for two years was engaged in obtaining contracts for that concern in this neighborhood. In 1876, Mr. Young began business as a contractor and builder, which business he still pursues. Among the notable buildings he has erected in this county are the county poor house, county jail and court house. He, in connection with other business pursuits, joined O. S. Torrey in dealing in wind-mills, etc. On March 1, 1882, Mr. Y. was appointed Deputy Sheriff of the county in 1876, and held it for three years. Was appointed First Sergeant of "Governor's Guards," in 1878; Second Lieutenant in June, 1880, and Captain in July, 1881.

Top of Page   First Page   Back   Next

County Index